AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-06-14, 20:12   Link #161
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It can't get worse. If it does, Sayu will not be able to live with her mom, and Yoshida will be involved f9rever. The story is coming to a conclusion, so it must be resolved.
The logic of storytelling .
Old 2021-06-14, 20:28   Link #162
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

While after such a suicide, a school would normally try pretty hard to make sure other students don't get on the roof, that wouldn't be a nice guy.

Nice guy Mr. School thus made sure to lock the door but place a window that can just as easily be opened. After all, we need her to... *snort* conquer her trauma.

...Oh, and we also made the fence super-sharp. After all, we really, really need to stress the fact the audience should sympathize with her. Look! She's bleeding. Let us sob. We must be good guys.

Also, since we are on the comedy, I'm just going to note that there was clearly too much distance between her mother and Sayu for the slap. She wasn't shown backing up, just raising her body.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-14, 23:02   Link #163
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'll wait until next week to determine how I feel on the slap thing. That can easily run into the classic: "we were worried sick" comment where it's totally ok to slap someone because of that . Of course considering the hostility in her expression I'm not entirely sure we're going there. At the same time they don't have much time to resolve things so...they'll have to bridge the gap to some degree. Should be some good outbursts towards the garbage parent the mother has been, but they'll have to settle it relatively quickly so they can settle on where the story is going to end.

I will agree that school security is a bit questionable. Way to lock the door to the roof while leaving a window available to go through. They'll never suffer any issues on that roof ever again...That school is going under.

In the end though it was about time for Sayu to face herself a bit. Obviously still have the outward conflict with her mother to resolve. But her inner turmoil was part of why things got to the point they did. So good to at least start her on the road to dealing with that. Now to at least settle things enough with her mother so she can get through the rest of the time she'll spend living at home.
Old 2021-06-17, 21:05   Link #164
Strahan

You only get to play the we were worried sick card if you weren't the root cause of the problem in the first place. Her mother was a total c*** to her and drove her away, so if anything she should be apologizing first thing not being further abusive.

Considering how much she telegraphed that slap, surprised Sayu or Yoshida didn't just stop/block her. Sayu preferably; it'd be a little weird for Yoshida to step in and would definitely put you out on the wrong foot with the mother from the get-go.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 23:26   Link #165
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
You only get to play the we were worried sick card if you weren't the root cause of the problem in the first place. Her mother was a total c*** to her and drove her away, so if anything she should be apologizing first thing not being further abusive.

Considering how much she telegraphed that slap, surprised Sayu or Yoshida didn't just stop/block her. Sayu preferably; it'd be a little weird for Yoshida to step in and would definitely put you out on the wrong foot with the mother from the get-go.
I don't think Sayu was genuinely expecting her mother to slap her first thing...
Old 2021-06-18, 23:07   Link #166
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I don't think Sayu was genuinely expecting her mother to slap her first thing...
Neither do many viewers expect that from her mother.
Spoiler:
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-19, 16:33   Link #167
Alchemist007
*Author

^ Very nice.
Old 2021-06-21, 10:32   Link #168
Frontier

I have to admire Yoshida cooling his own rage and not immediately lashing out at Sayu's mother like I'm sure many in the audience wishes they could .

And she gets progressively worse from there, treating her own daughter as nothing but a burden and inconvenience and blaming everything Sayu did purely on Sayu and acting like Sayu is nothing but a problem. She's never tried to understand or connect with her daughter at all. She even has her own adult son cowed by her. And then she says the absolute worst thing a parent can say to their child, that she wishes Sayu had never been born. This rotten woman !!!

Although all things considered she seems...very emotionally unstable when you see how quickly she lashes out and starts yelling when things don't go her way or she can't process her feelings. I don't know if she was always this way or if she has mental issues, but she doesn't seem to be quite all that there .

I'm sure people would have cheered had Yoshida thrown that drink in her face, but he acts like the adult and acknowledges that, as much as he wishes he could take care of Sayu, he's ultimately not her parent and that the responsibility for raising Sayu and making sure she's okay rests with her mother. The fact that a strange man and her adult son had to beg her to raise her own child is pretty depressing, but it seems like it actually got threw to her .

Yoshida and Sayu can barely keep their tears in as they cry over what happened, but in the end they can come together get cozy while reminiscing over their chance meeting and how it improved both of their lives .

So, for now, Sayu is going try and live back home for the rest of her high school life and try to mend things with her mother. Probably not the most ideal situation, but if Sayu is going to try and move forward it might be their only real option. And at least she's still got her brother on her side backing her up .

Well, Sayu's mother seems like she's...trying. As much as someone like that is capable of trying .
Old 2021-06-21, 12:38   Link #169
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Wow, Yoshida. I'd would have slapped her for saying that about her own child. Loved the fact Yoshida and Sayu's brother kowtowing basically broke Sayu's mother. What a chad
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-21, 14:54   Link #170
EroKing

Sauce.

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-21 at 06:37.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-21, 16:39   Link #171
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
The author even warned not to replicate what's in the book .
Old 2021-06-21, 22:37   Link #172
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Dear lord, I could barely get past the first half. I thought I was going to die from laughter. This criminal goes "Hey!", but instead of talking, he recites this creepy poem inside his head, and then instead of looking at them in the eyes, he stares into oblivion while talking. And then they dogeza.
Oh boy... I'm scared to watch the 2nd half.

EDIT:
*vomit*
Phew, man, can't get enough of the NPCs praising the protagonist! This time, because he dogeza-ed.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2021-06-21 at 22:54.
Old 2021-06-22, 11:12   Link #173
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I suppose that all worked out...

Now they can go on living together until she graduates. All while secretly wishing the other person would be run over by a bus. Well that's probably unfair. Sayu's mother probably would think that kind of messy death would look bad on her.
Old 2021-06-22, 22:16   Link #174
Strahan

Wow. Dude has a lot more control than I would have, sitting there listening to that bitch go on and on. That mindset about "I'm not a family member so I have no say" is weird. You don't need to be related to someone to call out bullshit when you see it. Cultural difference I suppose.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 22:30   Link #175
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I'm hearing there's one more episode left to HigeHiro; this last one ended too abruptly, so having a proper denouement would be nice.
Old 2021-06-28, 10:33   Link #176
Frontier

Sayu deserves so much better than having to bow to that woman who never treated her like a mother should treat a daughter, but it shows how much she's grown that she's willing to take responsibility for what she's done, what's happened, and try to move forward. And for once her mother actually acknowledges her responsibility to Sayu, which is enough to bring poor Sayu to tears .

Sayu couldn't let Yoshida go without one last nightly rendevous in bed with some flirtation, but all it basically comes down to is how Sayu and Yoshida will never forget each other after everything they've been through the impact they've made on each others' lives .

Whether Yoshida is in love with Sayu or not, Issa is immensely grateful that Yoshida was there by chance at the moment Sayu needed him most and helped get her through this so she could become a stronger person. Frankly he doesn't seem to mind the idea of Yoshida as a possible brother-in-law or at least the object of Sayu's affection .

Why shouldn't Sayu wear her school uniform? It's her signature outfit at this point despite the fact that she only goes to school in flashbacks or montages .

Sayu finally confesses her love for Yoshida, and that she's serious about him (in a romantic sense). Yoshida handles it as tastefully as he could, as he usually does, even when Sayu asks him to wait for her to grow up, but in the end they do make a promise to one day see each other again after re-affirming how important they are to each other .

"So you'll always remember my scent." Jeez, Sayu sure learned to be aggressive .

Yoshida held it in so well until it finally sunk in for him that Sayu was gone, and he started crying. And his facial hair came back too .

We get a nice montage set to the Opening of Sayu going back to school, finding friends at school again, having a surprisingly pleasant meal with her family, and graduating, all the while Yoshida is back at work, going to karakoe with Mishima and Hashimoto, and potentially confessing to Gotou again ?

Well, it seems like Mishima and Gotou are playing a subtle love tug-of-war with Yoshida at the office since it doesn't seem like he's committed to a lady yet .

Yoshida makes plans with Asami (who has gone back to her natural hair color, apparently), but Asami, still being Sayu's best gal pal, plays wingwoman to set up the pair's reunion as Yoshida finally sees newly adult and freshly graduated from high school Sayu as she sits at their spot looking beautiful. The pair mimic their initial encounter and Sayu once again declares she wants to stay with Yoshida, but in an entirely different sense than before. Whatever future waits for these two, it's nice to see them together again .
Old 2021-06-28, 13:17   Link #177
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Well, the ending is more or less fine by itself, but I wish the author didn't use such easy shortcuts since apparently, the anime is pretty much 1:1 adaptation for the vast majority of the story.
For one, the resolution with Sayu's mother felt a bit hollow. It wasn't particularly irrealistic by any means, and there wasn't any real redemption (which is good, not every "bad" character needs one), but it was wrapped a bit too quickly. That said, I honestly think the way how Sayu and Yoshida's feelings were handled decently.

My real issue is the timeskip. Really, I wish they at least handled how things went with Gotou because it is kind of weird that she didn't do anything for 2 years still while Sayu's issue was finally "solved". It would make more sense if there was some kind of fallout or simple things to make it more organic (no, that single cut in the timeskip clip hardly counts). That said, I understand that 2 characters with feelings for each other doesn't mean it will work and they were coworkers, so this kind of relationship is a can of worms by itself. But when the story tries to establish her feelings in a somewhat earnest fashion thrice, her "intuition" looks more like confusion. Honestly, I was fine with Yoshida/Sayu, Yoshida/Gotou or simply Yoshida staying single. But it makes me wonder what was the actual point of Gotou (and Mishima) if there wasn't a proper development for that relationship. So yeah, it really sound like they were there to make things more complicated and less "obvious" on the long run.
Also, Mishima and Hashimoto roles were overlapping a bit each other, so I think it could have been more natural to have Hashimoto as the only "wingman". It could actually give more food for thought to Yoshida if the former was a father, which would give more nuance to the pseudo parent/sibling relationship Yoshida had with Sayu early on.

So well, the series was alright. It started somewhat nicely, had some weird curve balls in the middle and lost its steam at the end.
Yoshida and Sayu carried the show, and other characters were alright, although it could really have been smoother in term of plot convenience and development in general.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2021-06-28 at 13:41.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-28, 14:05   Link #178
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

Old 2021-06-28, 14:52   Link #179
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Well, the ending is more or less fine by itself, but I wish the author didn't use such easy shortcuts since apparently, the anime is pretty much 1:1 adaptation for the vast majority of the story.
For one, the resolution with Sayu's mother felt a bit hollow. It wasn't particularly irrealistic by any means, and there wasn't any real redemption (which is good, not every "bad" character needs one), but it was wrapped a bit too quickly. That said, I honestly think the way how Sayu and Yoshida's feelings were handled decently.

My real issue is the timeskip. Really, I wish they at least handled how things went with Gotou because it is kind of weird that she didn't do anything for 2 years still while Sayu's issue was finally "solved". It would make more sense if there was some kind of fallout or simple things to make it more organic (no, that single cut in the timeskip clip hardly counts). That said, I understand that 2 characters with feelings for each other doesn't mean it will work and they were coworkers, so this kind of relationship is a can of worms by itself. But when the story tries to establish her feelings in a somewhat earnest fashion thrice, her "intuition" looks more like confusion. Honestly, I was fine with Yoshida/Sayu, Yoshida/Gotou or simply Yoshida staying single. But it makes me wonder what was the actual point of Gotou (and Mishima) if there wasn't a proper development for that relationship. So yeah, it really sound like they were there to make things more complicated and less "obvious" on the long run.
Also, Mishima and Hashimoto roles were overlapping a bit each other, so I think it could have been more natural to have Hashimoto as the only "wingman". It could actually give more food for thought to Yoshida if the former was a father, which would give more nuance to the pseudo parent/sibling relationship Yoshida had with Sayu early on.

So well, the series was alright. It started somewhat nicely, had some weird curve balls in the middle and lost its steam at the end.
Yoshida and Sayu carried the show, and other characters were alright, although it could really have been smoother in term of plot convenience and development in general.
I guess considering Gotou actually confessed it's kind of weird that we never got any real resolution between her and Yoshida, but considering she seemed the pensive type who didn't aggressively act on her feelings beyond subtlety, it could be seen as an indication as to why nothing serious had happened between them yet.

Mishima wasn't really a wingwoman so much as someone with her own view of love that she expressed through her pursuit of Yoshida and her comments regarding his relationship with Sayu.
Old 2021-06-28, 17:47   Link #180
Alchemist007
*Author

I honestly forgot all about his coworkers until they showed up again at the end. I do think the situation with the mother was solved a little too quick considering how they met, she just didn't feel like a mentally stable person; so who knows what happened during the time skip. A bigger followup would also help instead of just meeting the same way again.

6/10

Tags
harem