AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-20, 22:35   Link #141
Haladflire65
*Artist

So is it only me that find's Bruce's character to be awesome? I don't like the Bat-voice either but that's just Bale's interpretation of the character... Batman does need to make his voice different from Bruce, and keep in mind that Batman is Bruce's only way of displacing his rage. Come on guys, give Bale some credit. He played four roles in one in BB - vengeful lost college Bruce, the stupid playboy Bruce, genuine Bruce and Batman. Pretty similar in TDK, as well. And I personally don't think that a crappy Batman would've let TDK be as good as it was, as flashy as the Joker was. Bale is always so very underrated, especially after the Terminator incident, everyone's always hating on him...

But anyways, there's exactly a year left until TDKR now, so get excited. Although we probably won't be getting any more promo stuff until this winter at least...
Old 2011-07-20, 23:15   Link #142
james0246

^I like Bale best when he is interacting with Caine and Freeman. They help bring out the "Real Bruce". Sadly, he only has a few scenes per film we these actors, and many of his other scenes are somewhat wasted with sub-par romantic interests.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-20, 23:25   Link #143
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I like Bale best when he is interacting with Caine and Freeman. They help bring out the "Real Bruce". Sadly, he only has a few scenes per film we these actors, and many of his other scenes are somewhat wasted with sub-par romantic interests.
I agree, Genuine Bruce is my favourite but as you said we really don't get to see him much. Alfred + Bruce is love. I also really like seeing him with Fox, too. And again agreeing about the girls of the movies so far - I'm really hoping some interesting stuff is going to go on with Marion Cotillard and Anne Hathaway. The females have always been Nolan's weak spot, let's hope he gets them right this time, because they're obviously going to play some huge parts in the story...
Old 2011-07-21, 05:55   Link #144
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
So is it only me that find's Bruce's character to be awesome? I don't like the Bat-voice either but that's just Bale's interpretation of the character... Batman does need to make his voice different from Bruce, and keep in mind that Batman is Bruce's only way of displacing his rage. Come on guys, give Bale some credit. He played four roles in one in BB - vengeful lost college Bruce, the stupid playboy Bruce, genuine Bruce and Batman. Pretty similar in TDK, as well. And I personally don't think that a crappy Batman would've let TDK be as good as it was, as flashy as the Joker was. Bale is always so very underrated, especially after the Terminator incident, everyone's always hating on him...

But anyways, there's exactly a year left until TDKR now, so get excited. Although we probably won't be getting any more promo stuff until this winter at least...
You know? Philosophically that's QUITE different than the impression of the character I got from the Bruce Timm series. That it's Bruce Wayne that's the mask. The rich suave playboy that Batman created to sock puppet around with as a disguise when he walks around in the day time. At night he pulls Bruce Wayne off to reveal Batman. This is pretty dramatically emphasized in the Batman Beyond series where Bruce has become more of a hermit, giving him more of an excuse to be Batman all the time.

And I'll admit. Christian Bale is pretty good as Bruce Wayne. Though I think that emphasizes the different in methodology between Bruce Timm/Kevin Conroy and Christian Bale/Nolan in how they view the character. Bale/Nolan are directing and acting Bruce Wayne. A man who sometimes dresses up like Batman.

Maybe that's a reason why Christian Bale's portrayal of Batman rubs me the wrong way. you can sorta tell it's Christian Bale, acting like Bruce Wayne, who in turn is acting like Batman. I'm not entirely sure if my dislike keys on a legitimate philosophical problem or I'm simply acting on my bias. Because Bale's interactions with those supporting characters IS often very entertaining.

And again. I MIGHT just be unfairly ringing on Bale because of Terminator Salvation.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 08:59   Link #145
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
So is it only me that find's Bruce's character to be awesome?
No I, like the great Dr Rodney McKay hold Batman as favorite superhero.
Admitedly the comics do a better job of fleshing out his character than the films do but he still is simply a awesome character.

His greatest enemies, the Joker and himself.

I think thats a missing link thats not explored enough in the movies, Batman's inner turmoil.

And it's always been a question of "Does Bruce Wayne wear the mask of Batman or does Batman wear the mask fo Bruce Wayne?"
Old 2011-07-21, 09:51   Link #146
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This is pretty dramatically emphasized in the Batman Beyond series where Bruce has become more of a hermit, giving him more of an excuse to be Batman all the time.
Plus the episode where someone was trying to make him think he was going crazy, and kept talking to him in his mind. He was sure he wasn't insane because the voice kept calling him "Bruce", which he doesn't call himself (Terry realizes he calls himself "Batman" in his head).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 12:09   Link #147
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

I'm on the fence about this film. With trilogies, it tends to be that the first movie generates the interest, the second one receives the most praise and the third one tends to be mediocre.

Wasn't too thrilled to see Tom Hardy cast in the role of Bane either. I'm not sure if he's imposing enough for the role, both physically and in acting capability, but I would've said similar for Heath Ledger as the Joker before his performance. The teaser is sort of "meh" but I'm still really looking forward seeing the final installment of the Nolan Batman series.

Sabaku Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-21, 12:24   Link #148
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Wasn't too thrilled to see Tom Hardy cast in the role of Bane either. I'm not sure if he's imposing enough for the role, both physically and in acting capability, but I would've said similar for Heath Ledger as the Joker before his performance. The teaser is sort of "meh" but I'm still really looking forward seeing the final installment of the Nolan Batman series.
I recommend that you watch the British film Bronson and the British show The Take, and then decide if Tom Hardy can be imposing enough for the role.
Old 2011-07-21, 13:08   Link #149
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I recommend that you watch the British film Bronson and the British show The Take, and then decide if Tom Hardy can be imposing enough for the role.
I've seen Bronson. Not The Take though. Good performance. He was very brutal in that role, but it still doesn't have me totally convinced. I mean, Edward Norton was really brutal in American History X, but I'd still have doubts about him playing Bane (ok he played the Hulk, but only Bruce Banner, the Hulk was entirely CGI).

Still, I see your point. Hardy's a decent actor and I rather they have him than some 'roided up wrestler to do the role. Bane's actually a sophisticated, intelligent villain and they need someone who can play that part if they want to stay true to the character's roots. I imagine he's bulked up some for this part. Between that, camera tricks and some well done CGI, they can make his physique closer to Bane's.

Old 2011-07-21, 20:44   Link #150
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ Yeah, I think it's not going to be too much of a problem to make Bane look imposing, with the technology they have available these days...

And remember that Nolan tweaks characters to fit with the tone of his movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same with Bane - maybe he won't be as large as he is in the comics, heck, maybe Nolan wouldn't even follow the Venom route... I personally love the look of Bane as of now... but until the film comes out I'll have to reserve any judgement of Tom Hardy's Bane...
Old 2011-07-22, 22:46   Link #151
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Plus the episode where someone was trying to make him think he was going crazy, and kept talking to him in his mind. He was sure he wasn't insane because the voice kept calling him "Bruce", which he doesn't call himself (Terry realizes he calls himself "Batman" in his head).
I caught that episode by chance around a month ago. It was a sub-par episode, but that was a good scene.

There's also this classic scene from the TAS that's consistent with Bruce regarding Batman as his true identity. Link

As for Bane, I like that he may be a little smaller. He should more nimble, and the fight scenes could be better.
Old 2011-07-22, 23:26   Link #152
james0246

^Nolan's biggest problem with the series (imho) has always been the one-on-one fight scenes. They are never clear, nor are they adequately choreographed. Hopefully, considering the nature of Bane, Nolan will have hired a different choreographer, potentially leading to cleaner and clearer fight sequences.
Old 2011-07-22, 23:44   Link #153
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I agree with the fighting issue.

Just one question: what Catwoman has to do in this movie. The bad guy role is already taken by Bane. Maybe some minor passerby villain like the Scarecrow in TDK, but with Anne Hathaway in the role, it's pretty unlikely. I always thought that too much villain in a movie = disaster. Then again, TDK has at least 3 villains in it.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 20:48   Link #154
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I agree with the fighting issue.

Just one question: what Catwoman has to do in this movie. The bad guy role is already taken by Bane. Maybe some minor passerby villain like the Scarecrow in TDK, but with Anne Hathaway in the role, it's pretty unlikely. I always thought that too much villain in a movie = disaster. Then again, TDK has at least 3 villains in it.
Much like the Riddler, Catwoman isn't much of a villain in the comics these days.

One point that was made in the comics was that Catwoman isn't a killer, no matter what else she does. That's something she has in common with Batman, and he respected that.

Consider the fact that Batman is currently a fugitive, it is not much of a stretch he can't look for allies by visiting Gordon.
Old 2011-07-23, 22:54   Link #155
Sabaku Kyu
The Ironman

^ Catwoman may not be truly villainous, but she'll spend a portion of the movie in opposition to Batman. I'm assuming she'll start off a criminal, so that'll lead to conflict. Wouldn't be surprised if she's actually a partner or subordinate of Bane, like Scarecrow was with Ra's Al Ghul.

Speaking of which, Ra's Al Ghul is also somehow tied into the plot, but it's murky as to whether he plays an active role. Liam Neeson's listed but not officially cast, but there's an actor cast to play a younger version of him (flashback, or freshly emerged from a Lazarus Pit? I wonder....)

Old 2011-07-24, 02:48   Link #156
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ I was thinking Nolan might take advantage of Catwoman's ambiguity in the comics and have her form one of those twisty romantic relationships with Batman/Bruce.

I'm wondering about Ra's, too, because it was said that Liam Neeson was spotted on set and all, as well, if you listen to his lines in the teaser you can tell they were re-recorded (not from BB). Maybe Talia might show up? I think having Ra's back in the story might tie things up nicely, bring everything into full circle from Begins.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:59   Link #157
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
I'm wondering about Ra's, too, because it was said that Liam Neeson was spotted on set and all, as well, if you listen to his lines in the teaser you can tell they were re-recorded (not from BB). Begins.
Really? Now that's new. But seriously, though, this movie has Bane, Catwoman, Ra's & (possibly) Talia. I kinda feel a 'Spiderman 3' vibe from it. I hope the result proves me wrong. I REALLY DO hope so.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 03:05   Link #158
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ well, TDK had like...100 villains, so...i guess it's alright
Old 2011-07-30, 21:28   Link #159
Haladflire65
*Artist

And Bane... looks totally sick. He's standing on top of a new Tumbler, too, in the full-length pic.

Spoiler:

But where are those Catwoman images? D: Maybe they're filming her later? I haven't seen any sign of Anne Hathaway on set yet.
Old 2011-07-30, 21:38   Link #160
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Christopher Nolan is fantastic- Memento was brilliant, Inception was chilling, and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were just all around great. Am I the only one who liked Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight?

Anyways, the new characters look fantastic, and I'm quite excited for this movie. It's quite agreed that Christian Bale shouldn't be looked down upon for the Terminator incident. The man overstepped the line, but he made up with the guy and sincerely apologized multiple times on multiple shows. What else do you want him to do? It also doesn't change the fact that he's a good actor- he's got the magical skill of almost completely hiding his accent as well, y'know?