AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-10-07, 22:53   Link #381
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I think what Cosmic Eagle is saying that Japanese omits the use of pronoun in a lot of places.
And the amount of the pronoun use there might be unusual.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-07, 23:02   Link #382
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I think what Cosmic Eagle is saying that Japanese omits the use of pronoun in a lot of places.
And the amount of the pronoun use there might be unusual.
en, if so, what is she suggesting? Is it about future translations?
I think my goal is accomplished, now we've all caught up on the manga, ak scans will continue the scanlation and the anime out as well.
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 00:50   Link #383
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'm just looking for double confirmation if the chinese version and the original are in sync
Old 2013-10-08, 08:59   Link #384
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Thanks for chapter 48.
I wonder if the maid ship Repulse might get involved?
Old 2013-10-08, 11:16   Link #385
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
I'm just looking for double confirmation if the chinese version and the original are in sync
For those who read the Chinese scanlation will instantly know it's well translated.
Unlike us, they have a full crew of editors and contributors. I have seen them editing phrase by phrase multiple times just to get the most appropriate wordings. They are competent enough to accurately translate Japanese local dialects and those strange honorifics.
The previous English translator /a/anonymous did a great job too. I have no problem sync his translation with the Chinese/Japanese versions. His words are concise and was able to retain the flavour and texture presented in the original language. He too did a lot of paraphrasing that just made the manga flow better.
If we were to do another translation, (for fans' sake) we need to be sure that not only the words are translated, but also the context. We also need try our best to be consistent with previous chapters, and be accurate as to what the manga is presenting, so we don't mislead the readers.

Example:
My version says: 401 was held at a standstill by Kongo's fleet for 3 hours (we are in a standstill for three hours now)
Your version says: It's going to take another 3 hours before facing (Kongo?) (3 hours before we come face to face)
~from the previous chapter we know that 401 was supposed to rendezvous with Hakugie in an hour and half
It might be a simple line at first, but the meaning was vastly different by comparing our translations.
Old 2013-10-08, 22:37   Link #386
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Exactly what I mean.

The first line was oversight on my part but there's also plenty of added/omitted stuff in your version.

example

群像からあのプランを聞いた時はお前達を抱えているとは言え

私は私に戻るだけだと思っていたが

私も落ち着きません...群像と別れたのはあなたと群像が

二人だけで学園を後にした時以来ですよ

...そうか

今回ヒュウガからの提案が有ったとは言え

compared with your

Iona: when I heard that “plan” from Gunzo, I really want to grab hold of him and ask…
Iona: I’m I…I’m I really going to return to my old self
Sōu: It’s never racking for me as well. This is the first time you separated from him after the days at the academy, right?
Iona: perhaps…although Hyuga is one of the contributors this time …

It doesn't mention grabbing hold of Gunzou and it's more like her saying "I thought" rather than stammering in uncertainty

and for

私はなにか装備を潰さないとダメね

you said

I on the other hand was hit all over the place…

That doesn't fit at all.

Your subsequent line also misses out that her retreat to a Fog base is temporary only.

and there's also

あなた人間の肩を持つわけ?!

It means "you would side with humans?!"

Not ["I have the same appearance as them?" what do you mean by that?]

firstly there's not even the mention of appearance there at all.

and this line

むしろ反逆者は「プリンズ.オブ.ウェールス」達よ

我々は「アドミラティ.コード」に従っているのですもの

you said: Pity they don't consider Prince of Wales as the traitor. While I took the blame for being loyal to the "Admiralty Code"

It's more like saying rather, the traitors are Prince of Wales and co, not us who are still loyal to the AC.

There's no mention of "pity~while I took the blame" The nuance is quite different in your one
Old 2013-10-09, 06:04   Link #387
Shinon

is it monthly or weekly manga?
Old 2013-10-09, 09:03   Link #388
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Arpeggio is monthly.
Old 2013-10-09, 11:32   Link #389
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Arpeggio of Blue Steel wikia
Old 2013-10-09, 11:50   Link #390
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Exactly what I mean.

The first line was oversight on my part but there's also plenty of added/omitted stuff in your version.
Correct, my problem is that I used a lot of paraphrasing because for some instances they are my own interpenetration of the dialogue.
None of it (at least I hope) misled the readers to think something else happened (or going to happen) in the manga.

I'm going to put my full reply in a spoiler so it doesn't take so much forum space. I appreciate the things you pointed out so I too will write some feedbacks

Spoiler for my reply:

If you read all that, I'm sure you needed a rest, let's leave this chapter as it is and tell me what your suggestions are for the next chapter?

Last edited by Tim yy; 2013-10-09 at 17:58.
Old 2013-10-09, 12:25   Link #391
AC-Phoenix
Detective

I don't know if anyone already said it, but has anyone noticed that none of the ships we saw until now are still active?
In fact, almost all of them have been sunken or scrapped by now.

You could say that they just named the ships after them now but the entire thing goes a bit further:

One of the ships (I think it was even Yamato) said that they might have been active in the past.
All the hsips look pretty much 1:1 to their originals.

The other strange thing there is is more story based... Why not just drop a few nukes on them?
Even normal projectiles hurt their shields so a Nuke ot two should do the trick oO

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 12:42   Link #392
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I don't know if anyone already said it, but has anyone noticed that none of the ships we saw until now are still active?

You could say that they just named the ships after them now but the entire thing goes a bit further:

One of the ships (I think it was even Yamato) said that they might have been active in the past.
All the hsips look pretty much 1:1 to their originals.

The other strange thing there is is more story based... Why not just drop a few nukes on them?
Even normal projectiles hurt their shields so a Nuke ot two should do the trick oO
All ship of the Fog are in the form of "old era" battleships from WWII (maybe even old WWI ships), but on the inside, their "black box" technology is vastly different from any standard human weaponry.
still a big mystery how they are "re-activated by Yamato or AC", recent "code book" offered a glimpse of the history of Fog "from 1944-current?" After reading that I was so puzzled that I don't even know how to discuss it here ><

"so many ppl wondered what happens if you NUKE the fog ships...." I'll leave that to people's imaginations. or someone might be an expert that can compare for us the the magnitude of destruction for a weapon that can "bend space" to a "fusion/fission nuclear weapon".
Old 2013-10-09, 13:55   Link #393
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

u think that the non-existent A-150s will make an appearance?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 14:43   Link #394
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

We've yet to see any of the famous and powerful ships of the North America fleet like USS Iowa and USS Midway.

It will be scary but not impossible If Musashi becomes the final villain and gets an upgrade to the A-150, she's already getting upgrades

Last edited by Tim yy; 2013-10-09 at 17:58.
Old 2013-10-09, 15:26   Link #395
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
of course. we talking about WW2 era ship here

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 17:51   Link #396
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
of course. we talking about WW2 era ship here
TbH I had to look all but the Yamato, Biscmarc and Musashi up, to confirm my suspicion that all of them are relics from the past.
I also only got the idea to do this when Yamato hinted that she may have been on the ocean in the past, before that the possibility that she was just named after an old ship was too high to actually think about the ship names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim yy View Post
"so many ppl wondered what happens if you NUKE the fog ships...." I'll leave that to people's imaginations. or someone might be an expert that can compare for us the the magnitude of destruction for a weapon that can "bend space" to a "fusion/fission nuclear weapon".
Well the trick is apparently to get the Klein field down, and a Nuke should put a lot of strain on it.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2013-10-09, 18:02   Link #397
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Tim yy: I'm a fairly experienced Chinese translator as well, I'm up for any second opinions.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 19:01   Link #398
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
Tim yy: I'm a fairly experienced Chinese translator as well, I'm up for any second opinions.
....I'd love to work as a team, i'm adding you as a friend
Old 2013-10-09, 19:41   Link #399
Tenzen12

Quote:

Well the trick is apparently to get the Klein field down, and a Nuke should put a lot of strain on it.
Let's get technical. When you run Thanatonium nuclear reaction it release strong gravitaion waves. We know that this principle is used in "heavy gravitational cannons and corrossive torpedoss. Now question: Why does explosion of C-torpedos appear to be pitch black in first phase even though it contain enormous amount of energy? (hint: Gravitation).

Nukes power is laughable in comparisson of these weapons.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 20:59   Link #400
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Let's get technical. When you run Thanatonium nuclear reaction it release strong gravitaion waves. We know that this principle is used in "heavy gravitational cannons and corrossive torpedoss. Now question: Why does explosion of C-torpedos appear to be pitch black in first phase even though it contain enormous amount of energy? (hint: Gravitation).

Nukes power is laughable in comparisson of these weapons.
Whether it is laughable in comparison doesn't really matter as long as it can get the field down.

It really comes down to how much we can trust the anime though: If its posisble to get the Klein field down with enough constant fire from normal ship cannons then a Nuke would use up most of its resistance after the first shot.
We got a hint to the anime being right with this in the Manga btw: After humanity's last standoff we see a damaged Yamato

It also depends on what Kind of Nuke you use.
A Tsar (50 Megatons yield) would certainly shred even Yamato with a single shot. The problem with a tsar would be getting it to her before it gets shot down though.

Tags
action, comedy, sci-fi, seinen