AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-24, 03:26   Link #1
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Watching Anime on a Digital Projector

My anime club just received a $1350 budget in order to upgrade all of our hardware. In my original proposal, I considered THIS 1080p DLP for about $800. While I thought that it would work for our purposes (especially since it outputs 2000 lumens), I had not considered any possible lag generation that it may experience. The projector itself processes at 24fps. It would be best if the projector could handle the most intensive videos possible (1080Hi10p 60+fps), but really anything that doesn't lag work.

Anyone have experience watching high-quality anime files on a DLP? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It should be noted that this projector could be used in regular classrooms (30 student size) or mid-size lecture halls (150 student size). Will 2000 lumens be enough to properly project a picture 30 - 40 feet away? Will 3000-4500 lumens be enough? Note that those DLP's really push my budget (at $1100, I'll only have $250 left for any other hardware - speakers and/or wires mostly).

Last edited by Dante of the Inferno; 2011-10-24 at 03:42.
Dante of the Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 13:42   Link #2
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
My anime club just received a $1350 budget in order to upgrade all of our hardware. In my original proposal, I considered THIS 1080p DLP for about $800. While I thought that it would work for our purposes (especially since it outputs 2000 lumens), I had not considered any possible lag generation that it may experience. The projector itself processes at 24fps. It would be best if the projector could handle the most intensive videos possible (1080Hi10p 60+fps), but really anything that doesn't lag work.

Anyone have experience watching high-quality anime files on a DLP? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It should be noted that this projector could be used in regular classrooms (30 student size) or mid-size lecture halls (150 student size). Will 2000 lumens be enough to properly project a picture 30 - 40 feet away? Will 3000-4500 lumens be enough? Note that those DLP's really push my budget (at $1100, I'll only have $250 left for any other hardware - speakers and/or wires mostly).
I bought this one:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/11/e...with-hdmi-1-3/

almost three years ago. It can do 1200 ansi lumen, which can absolutely forget at daylight. 3000-4500 ansi lumen is more suited for the daylight environment but still a little low, if you really need high contrast mid sized projection (< 8 feet diagonal) in daylight.

Btw. the distance is actually only a secondary criteria for the ansi lumens you need. The most important criteria is the size of the projection and the background light you are going to have in the room.

Considering that you want to use it in a mid-sized lecture hall, you can forget the 2000 ansi lumen projector. Even when it is completely dark you will have problems with contrast if you want a big projection (>15 feet diagonal).

The 3000-4500 ansi lumen will certainly do in the dark for large projections.

For a really good quality projection you'ld certainly need professional equipement.

If you plan to use the beamer often you should also consider the price of a replacement lamp. And believe me those aren't exactly cheap.
Old 2011-10-25, 01:21   Link #3
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

After investigating which projectors are being used in variously sized classrooms and lecture halls, I have decided to choose either the Optima TH1060P or the TH1060. The only difference is that the TH1060P has output 4500 lumens and the TH1060 can output 3600 lumens. The final decision will come after discussing it with my fellow officers.

Thanks for the insight.