Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-17, 16:52   Link #461
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
If I'm not mistaken the official bio says he's 11 when the series starts, though I'd have to check. He's also about a foot shorter than Koko, which probably makes him about 4'6", which is about average for an 11 year-old. He's obviously more muscled than your typical kid that age but considering his lifestyle, that's hardly surprising.
I've checked Jonah's bio in the manga/anime sites and they don't mention his official age at the start of the series. Is it in the manga itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post

Her father must be a very evil SOB. Only super villains have hot albino-ish daughters they can send into places like Afghanistan to deal weapons to the most dangerous of people.
Nothing much describes Floyd Hektmatyar, except that he's "officially" known to head HCLI.

Which reminds me. I've been trying to figure out HC in the HCLI abbreviation. I assume that H is Hektmaytar in H&C (LI is Logistics Incorporated). Don't know what C is.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 17:22   Link #462
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Koko to me gives off a Batman villain vibe.

She'll probably become a character Marvel and DC villains will be based on.

She is a super villain. Her father is a super villain. Her brother is a super villain. What kind of chick that looks she's in her late teens or early twenties commands the loyalty of a super assassins and former top level commandos? Her father's name seems to cause bad dudes to shake in their boots. The dude had his kids born in international waters... he had his pregnant wife give birth on a ship smuggling weapons.

Her father must be a very evil SOB. Only super villains have hot albino-ish daughters they can send into places like Afghanistan to deal weapons to the most dangerous of people.
But aside from the selling of weapons to the highest bidder thing, she's pretty nice. She doesn't go on killing sprees or anything.

Quote:
How about Jonah? If Batman found him, he'd become the next Robin. "Hey Jonah, you remind me of my son... Damian. I know you hate guns, so I'll teach you how avenge using your bare fists." Jonah is just begging to become Robin.
Except that at some point, Joker would kill some kids, and Jonah would stop dicking around with revolving doors asylum and Just Kill Him. Jonah may hate violence, but it comes very naturally to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Yes, but again skills and talents are different. Jonah might have the talents, but his skill still needs to be sharpened.
He's a ball of unrealized potential, but even now he's very good - if reckless. He knows his way around a gunfight and is better than at least Lutz at sensing enemies (he's probably their best, or Lutz would have asked someone else). I guess they all have their strong and weak points.

Jonah's weaknesses are knife fighting, probably hand-to-hand (too young and small compared to adults), driving, and anything to do with electronics.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 17:36   Link #463
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I've checked Jonah's bio in the manga/anime sites and they don't mention his official age at the start of the series. Is it in the manga itself?
Beh, it's been a while since I read it so I can't be sure. I believe it is mentioned but I wouldn't swear to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Jonah's weaknesses are knife fighting, probably hand-to-hand (too young and small compared to adults), driving, and anything to do with electronics.
And math!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 17:47   Link #464
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Don't forget sciences. Although he's okay with English.

Given that parts of West Asia used to be British-occupied in the 18th/19th century.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2012-05-17, 18:16   Link #465
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He knows his way around a gunfight and is better than at least Lutz at sensing enemies (he's probably their best, or Lutz would have asked someone else).
About that, I think it was just because they were in the mountains, and Jonah used to be stationed as a child soldier in similar terrain. Thus, he'd know the topography well and where enemies would most likely position themselves in this kind of terrain better than anyone else. So I don't think this last episode proved he has the best sensing skills, but rather he's the most experienced with mountain combat.
Old 2012-05-17, 20:21   Link #466
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Hnn, if he was more familiar with terrain rather than sensing, he would have known the most likely spot where they were when Lutz asked him. He said their were eight of them but he didn't know where they were right then. That's why he pulled that lil stunt to try and get a response so that they'd know where the other team was hiding.

So the fact that he could sense eight of them is pretty impressive.
Old 2012-05-17, 20:39   Link #467
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I love every scene of Valmet when she blushed because of Koko xD
Old 2012-05-17, 20:42   Link #468
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Trying to check which mountain near the Eastern Cape (by distance) has snow since South Africa can have snow as they had to drive.

Especially sine Koko's team is based in East London (in Eastern Cape) where she attended the local arms fair.

Old 2012-05-17, 20:43   Link #469
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

In the next episode will see the past of Valmet?
Old 2012-05-18, 01:57   Link #470
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
About that, I think it was just because they were in the mountains, and Jonah used to be stationed as a child soldier in similar terrain. Thus, he'd know the topography well and where enemies would most likely position themselves in this kind of terrain better than anyone else. So I don't think this last episode proved he has the best sensing skills, but rather he's the most experienced with mountain combat.
He actually does have the best sensing skills though. Hence why noone can ever find him. He's probably the best at tracking and being undetected.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 01:59   Link #471
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

While the anime has been incredibly faithful to the manga on the whole, I think it's fair to say they've toned down Jonah's badass level somewhat from where it was at this point in the manga.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:36   Link #472
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post

Nothing much describes Floyd Hektmatyar, except that he's "officially" known to head HCLI.

Which reminds me. I've been trying to figure out HC in the HCLI abbreviation. I assume that H is Hektmaytar in H&C (LI is Logistics Incorporated). Don't know what C is.
Considering his children, I can only assume Floyd Hekmatyar is one awesome dude. Handsome too.

Unless the children were adopted.

But, even then, he's got to be badass if Lehm and Chiquita used to work for him.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 19:54   Link #473
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for ep 7:
Old 2012-05-23, 21:11   Link #474
gaiar31

episode 07 Head Shot Kill 1 man can kill all
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 21:19   Link #475
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Somehow Valmet shutting the rude guy up is way funnier here....
Old 2012-05-23, 21:27   Link #476
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

I absolutely love the in-team dynamics, those last 3 minutes were more entertaining to me than the rest of the ep. Of course, the preceeding part wasn't meant to be funny either.

Valmet is an absolute BEAST. All that and she only got grazed on her forehead? I'd love to get some knife lessons from her... Koko's still as lovely and awesome as ever. Jonah's pretty awesome too, able to deduce and come up with a plan so Lehm can play Duck Hunt.
Old 2012-05-23, 21:47   Link #477
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I didn't really get what happened in this episode. But I can safely say I was expecting something more than what I got. The last part with the team was kind of funny, but it also shows that besides a few, I barely know them.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-23, 23:27   Link #478
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love that end sequence to pieces. Basically, it’s three minutes talking about a bullet in Jonah’s ass and Valmet mashing a passenger’s face. But it’s Jonah’s matter-of-fact explanation to the security officer, it’s Koko’s maternal attempt to rescue him, it’s Lutz’ (who was just wounded in his own ass) continued droning on about Jonah’s butt as Jonah’s face gets progressively redder, than the reactions of the team (especially Lehm) when Jonah says he doesn’t get it removed because he’s scared of a pain-killing injection. There’s an honestly and openness to this exchange that I find incredibly appealing, a kind of affectionate sadism that tells you that the bond between these people is exceptionally strong (and that Jonah has been accepted into the family) and even if we don’t fully understand why this tight bond has formed, knowing it has formed makes all the difference for me in how I view the events of the series.

What did I tell you way back after the first episode? Listen to Lehm, because he never says anything that isn’t worth saying. “Weakness means death. Might be cruel – but that’s combat.” Can you imagine Lehm ever doing what Valmet did in charging Karen’s position – or what Jonah did in charging Orchestra’s a few eps ago? Jonah at least has the excuse of being a child, but the way I see it, each member of Team Koko is very formidable in their own niche – and Velmet is a remarkable artist at close combat – but Lehm is the one who should truly be feared. He just kills – efficiently, without malice or mercy, never unnecessarily taking a life or sparing one. He’s the perfect soldier – and he’s chosen to dedicate himself to supporting Koko. What does that say about her – and about Jonah, whose instincts were sharp enough to tell him that this was the first question he should be asking after he joined the group?

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2012-05-23 at 23:58.
Old 2012-05-23, 23:40   Link #479
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Good good episod
Old 2012-05-24, 01:37   Link #480
hoshino_crimsonwings

I think it's really interesting how Valmet shows her "change" and evolution after the "incident" that happened to her. Her complete victory over Karen further emphasizes this, and how Karen is shown to be Valmet's past. Too bad we didn't get more out of Valmet's past.

Overall an excellent episode, the comical moments within suspense makes this show extremely refreshing.

Tags
action, gunfights, seinen