AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-04, 05:57   Link #21
judasmartel
*Author

JudasMartel's Review of the Sentai Filmworks' English Dub of No Game No Life

THE HOT
+++++ Scott Gibbs is NOT the voice of Sora. He IS Sora HIMSELF. IN. FREAKING. PERSON. Got that?
+++++ Sara Ornelas as Stephanie Dola may not sound good for some, but her voice does grow on you. She just gets better every single episode. Her voice really shows how Steph has had enough of Blank's antics on a bad day, yet still in awe of Blank on a good day.
+++++ Amelia Fischer adding a European-esque accent for Jibril, complete with her speaking in both French and Spanish is just awesome in my book. It really shows in her voice her high-and-mighty attitude against other races while giving her loyal service to the only man who beat her within the last 6,000 years or so.
++++ Christina Stroup as Fil (Feel?) Nilvalen made her even more badass than in the original. She may look innocent, but man, [Dub] Feel doesn't take crap, even from a walking weapon of mass destruction.
++++ Woolseyisms all over the place in the dub. As with any Woolseyism, the wordings are different, but the thought is just the same as the original. Best exemplified in Blank's explanation of the Warbeasts' game in Episode 8.
++++ Episode 5. They turned the Materialization Shiratori game in the original Japanese into a Materialization Word Chain in the dub. It's not strictly a syllable connection game like in the original Japanese dub, but instead became much more of a test of vocabulary. Jibril had no idea about some of the English words (mostly scientific terms) Sora had given in the dub.
++++ More Episode 5. It was much clearer to me in the original how Sora was able to turn the tables on Jibril by baiting her to insult Sora, but it was definitely clearer to me in the dub how Sora was able to put her down by pointing out how arrogant she was, so much that she wasn't able to notice how he's slowly dismantling the earth one piece at a time.
++++ In general, the dub made me understand more of what the characters are saying in the original, because when I watched the Japanese dub, the seiyuus are just so good at what they do that I had a hard time keeping up with the subtitles. Every Japanese seiyuu in the original, especially Yoshitsugu Matsuoka and Ai Kayano, definitely showed they have already done this before (see Sakurasou).
++++ Kira Vincent Davis as Izuna Hatsuse. Oh, Osaka as a FREAKING cute fox-girl, please. They finally did something about Izuna's syntax, thank you. "Desu" doesn't always translate to "please", "thank you" is fine too. Remember that!
++++ Hearing the voice of the Former King of Elchea is like hearing the voice of God.
+++ John Swasey as Ino Hatsuse. He's good. Nothing else to say.
+++ Suzette Palacios as the Shrine Priestess of the Warbeasts. Kind of like the same as Amelia Fischer as Jibril, too bad she only fully appeared in the final episode. I want to see more of her in later seasons.
+++ I think the JoJo reference during Blank's meeting with Kurami on the way to their chess match was done well, not sure about you guys.

THE NOT
++ Caitlynn French as Shiro doesn't really sound right at the first 8 episodes, it's too coldly monotone for my taste. Even Ai Kayano as Shiro had some warmth in her voice while still being monotone. Fortunately, she redeems herself in Episode 9, where more emotion is required with Shiro (temporarily) losing her brother Sora. Good thing Caitlynn was able to match Ai Kayano's warm voice from then on.
++ Kara Greenberg as Kurami Zell. They settled for Kurami instead of Chlammy, but for some reason, it fit the dub very well. While I really can't say anything bad about Kara as Kurami, it actually made me more impressed with Yuka Iguchi than I am with Kara. Yuka-san proved to me she can voice dead serious characters just as well as she voices hyper cutesy characters like Index. Yuka-san is to me the real heiress apparent to KugiRie, no matter how many times others say Ayana Taketatsu is.
+ No WRY sound in Episode 2. Not a really big deal to me, but it might be for some.
+ Shannon Emerick as Tet is just too hammy for my taste.

CONCLUSION
+++++ The NGNL English Dub to me is even better than the original. It has its strong points and weak points, but the strong points overwhelm the weak points. It was a very enjoyable experience. As expected of Sentai.
+++++ Strong links: Scott Gibbs, Sara Ornelas, and Amelia Fischer.
+++ Pillars: Kara Greenberg, John Swasey, [Former King of Elchea], Kira Vincent-Davis, Suzette Palacios
+++ Sleepers: Caitlynn French, Christina Stroup, [Young Sora]
+ Weak links: Shannon Emerick

That's all, thank you.
Old 2015-09-05, 00:21   Link #22
Zangor17

A solid Dub indeed. I even sprung for the collector's edition and I was not dissapointed with what I got vs what I paid
Closed Thread