Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-13, 10:05   Link #121
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
^Pride comes before the fall
Awakening is not something smoker and anyone who knows about can just ignore. Why? It signifies not just control but mastery over the fruit. For most logias mastery over their fruit is what gives them an edge over their enemy. To say that smoker doesn't need it is like saying you don't need extra magazine for your gun because your already good or you have potential. In a fight for your life your always going to want to add to your arsenal. If you knew about the awakening process for your fruit would you turn it down just because your good or because you have potential? For me no, because it means a new level experience, possibly huge power up depending on the fruit, mastery, and finally in a fight for your life like luffy is in it means an edge over my enemies.
When i say it is not necessary, i mean that Oda, if he wants to, can keep him perfectly capable and threatening foe without it if he wants to.

Zoro does not need Devils Fruit, Sanji does not need a Weapon, Luffy does not need to awaken (he might, but it is not actually needed).
Unless Oda decides it is needed, which is an arbitrary thing, subject to storytelling and what Oda thinks is interesting, not logic.

Also, you talk like awakening was a conscious choice, somethingyou can decide to get.
It might be, but it might not, either way, there is no actual decision to make other than train/not train.
And the gun magazine analogy does not work, because people constalty turn down extra magazines, because they have limited carrying capacity, and they can't carry infinite magazines.
Old 2015-05-13, 10:30   Link #122
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

What could awakened rubber do?

Lets hear some legit strategies/uses for Luffy.

..because I cant think of any really..
Old 2015-05-13, 11:23   Link #123
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post

He could grab items and turn them into rubber weapons. Think of Goku style staff that can stretch or even using certain parts of the environment rubber so he can bounce of them faster (or sling shot himself off). If Oda goes in that direction, I think there are many possibilities. However, I think how a fruit awakens will not be as simple as transferring powers to the environment and more dependent on the individual DF.
Old 2015-05-13, 11:58   Link #124
J4n1

Turn the world into rubber, make people bounce of the ground/furniture/walls without even touching them.
Turn weapons into rubber making them useless.
Turn locked doors into rubber and push them open, or bars and bend them.

Not really sure how interesting that would be, but it has battle potential if Oda decides to go that way.

Smoker could turn world, or parts of world, into smoke and use it to trap people (or drop them through the floor/ground/bridges), or make infinite body doubles of himself.
There are options, pretty much anything is possible if Oda decides to go for it, i just don't see awakening as particularily interesting compared to what regular DF's can already do.
Old 2015-05-13, 12:18   Link #125
itachi-san314

I find it funny how some people have a mental block with this Awakening issue. It's really much simpler than you're all making it. In adventure stories like this, authors bring up events and abilities that will have significance in the future. It's called foreshadowing. Oda bringing up Awakening at the climax of such an important fight was certainly done for a reason. You can all rest assured that the most powerful DF users in the story will have their DFs Awakened at some point. And there is literally zero chance that Luffy won't Awaken his DF since he is the main character. Fight it all you want. It's going to happen.
Old 2015-05-13, 12:51   Link #126
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I find it funny how some people have a mental block with this Awakening issue. It's really much simpler than you're all making it. In adventure stories like this, authors bring up events and abilities that will have significance in the future. It's called foreshadowing. Oda bringing up Awakening at the climax of such an important fight was certainly done for a reason. You can all rest assured that the most powerful DF users in the story will have their DFs Awakened at some point. And there is literally zero chance that Luffy won't Awaken his DF since he is the main character. Fight it all you want. It's going to happen.
I agree that it will be significant, but like Logia DF's, it will not be anymore game changing than anything else (except Haki) has been.
It's a power upgrade, but as stated before, it will not be be all end all of devil fruits.

Luffy probably will end up awakening, but i don't take it as a given, or even necessary, because as we've said, one of the emperors does not even have a DF, Garp has no DF, Gold Rogers had no DF and Mihawk has no DF, yet they are some of the biggest names in the series.
Oda has surprised us before, he might again with the awakening, or he might not.
Old 2015-05-13, 13:42   Link #127
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

I don't think Luffy would use a power pole since he's prone to using hand-to-hand combat. I'm loving that idea though lol. Gum-gum pole or an extending mace with haki spikes? Hmm..

It could work if it's a blunt weaponry like that, possibly.
Old 2015-05-13, 23:02   Link #128
marvelB

Guys, I already explained how an Awakened Luffy would work on the very first page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Y'know, upon further consideration..... an Awakened Luffy would be the most awesome thing ever. I mean, if he can turn entire battlefields into rubber, then he'd essentially become Pinball Luffy!
Old 2015-05-14, 01:23   Link #129
itachi-san314

^That name does sound almost exactly like a technique he would have. But it would probably be more like "Pinball Tommy Gun" or something like that
Old 2015-05-14, 05:15   Link #130
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
When i say it is not necessary, i mean that Oda, if he wants to, can keep him perfectly capable and threatening foe without it if he wants to.

Zoro does not need Devils Fruit, Sanji does not need a Weapon, Luffy does not need to awaken (he might, but it is not actually needed).
Unless Oda decides it is needed, which is an arbitrary thing, subject to storytelling and what Oda thinks is interesting, not logic.

Also, you talk like awakening was a conscious choice, somethingyou can decide to get.
It might be, but it might not, either way, there is no actual decision to make other than train/not train.
And the gun magazine analogy does not work, because people constalty turn down extra magazines, because they have limited carrying capacity, and they can't carry infinite magazines.
Details Details
I am not going to argue with you on an gun anology. Obviously you understood what I was saying by your response. Second whatever you want to throw on oda's lap go for it. But remember one thing Luffy is fighting against daflamingo. He just pulled out his trump card(gear 4). If luffy hasn't defeated daflamingo by the time his gear 4 ends do you think his fight is going to get easier? I bet you that Luffy's future gear will use the awaken form. Oda just forsadow it by revealing it to the reader. Luffy made a conscious decision when he first learned what haki was. I don't see the awaken any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post

What's legit?
Daflamingo just turned a building into string. Luffy acknowledge that this is beyond a paramecia. Thats the beauty of the awaken anything can happen. You want me to tell you what awaken rubber can do but the truth is you are not looking at it through their eyes. You look at everything through a readers perspective. Hindsight is 20/20 for us. But through luffy and daflamingo's eye it is an advantage over their enemy, power up, it is a new weapon in the arms race, and its one more thing that is going to be them closer to their goals.

Has for your question. I can see the ability to combine all of his gears(both present and future) without any side affects and it let him stay in that form has long has he wants. That would be awesome.
Old 2015-05-14, 06:57   Link #131
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960 View Post
Details Details
I am not going to argue with you on an gun anology. Obviously you understood what I was saying by your response. Second whatever you want to throw on oda's lap go for it. But remember one thing Luffy is fighting against daflamingo. He just pulled out his trump card(gear 4). If luffy hasn't defeated daflamingo by the time his gear 4 ends do you think his fight is going to get easier? I bet you that Luffy's future gear will use the awaken form. Oda just forsadow it by revealing it to the reader. Luffy made a conscious decision when he first learned what haki was. I don't see the awaken any different.
Luffy made a conscious decision to train, and he had Haki, so he trained haki.
He did not make a conscious decision to gain Haki.
Luffy will continue to hone his skills and his DF ability, whether or not awakening happens, is probably not a conscious choice (it probably will happen, but saying it will or must, is too early).

Assuming awakened DF user is simply always superrior to nonawakened DF user in combat, is no different from assuming Logia is superrior to Zoan, or a non DF user, yet we see zero Logia users among the emperors or the warlords.
Old 2015-05-14, 11:05   Link #132
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

^
I never said he gained anything. I did use the word learn. You can read my comment again if you want. Also I still stand by what I said link # 131.
Closed Thread