AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-06, 16:56   Link #1
Alcy
Left! Right! Seven! Cake!

Post Manga series that pale to their anime counterparts

Most would agree that usually, a manga series is better/more developed than the anime based off it. However, some slip through the cracks. Here's where we need to list these!

1. Magic Knight Rayearth (CLAMP):
The manga was horridly condensed (3 volumes per season) and took away the shock and bittersweet beauty of the surprise ending of season 1. (I am very glad I saw the anime first-I actually cried at the ending XD XD)
Old 2003-12-06, 20:47   Link #2
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
Princess Tutu definitely. I prefer manga over anime 99.9% of the time, but the anime is just a masterpiece compared to the extremely boring manga.
Old 2003-12-08, 00:55   Link #3
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW
Princess Tutu definitely. I prefer manga over anime 99.9% of the time, but the anime is just a masterpiece compared to the extremely boring manga.
Wow, I didn't know there was a manga for that.

I thought the Kodocha anime was much more engaging than the manga. I'm glad I saw the anime first, it's one of my favorites!

-k
Old 2003-12-08, 01:05   Link #4
Alcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
Wow, I didn't know there was a manga for that.

I thought the Kodocha anime was much more engaging than the manga. I'm glad I saw the anime first, it's one of my favorites!

-k
Did you read the Tokyopop version of the manga or the original? That could be why, TP's edition was completely rewritten, though I did find it pretty amusing. (I have yet to find the untrans)
Old 2003-12-09, 18:59   Link #5
kannakills

I also found the Kodocha anime more funny then the manga. Since many of the characters can be eccentric (Sana's Mom, Sana herself), the anime allows these characters to be expressed perfectly. I think when this manga was converted to anime, the creators decided to up the hyperness of the main characters, and I think this is a good thing. You also miss out on Sana's raps in the manga- you would never be able to convey the same effect in a manga.

That said, I think that the manga is also very funny (I've only read TP's version- I don't know how far that strays from the original intent of the author. I feel that they have done a fairly good job). And I do like the lack of filler episodes and filler sequences in the manga- those can be tedious.

I love both, but I think I love the anime a little bit more ^_^

And as of right now, I like Fullmetal Alchemist anime better than FMA manga. I think that the way they chose to arrange the initial story flows better than in the anime. However, as I have only seen up to FMA 10 and read up to TW's translations of FMA manga, this opinion may change as the story progresses.
Old 2003-12-09, 19:25   Link #6
Alcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannakills

That said, I think that the manga is also very funny (I've only read TP's version- I don't know how far that strays from the original intent of the author. I feel that they have done a fairly good job). And I do like the lack of filler episodes and filler sequences in the manga- those can be tedious.

I love both, but I think I love the anime a little bit more ^_^
I haven't seen the anime yet myself, but I've read the first volume of the TP version-it says right on the cover the entire story was rewritten by Sarah Dyer. Though I agree it was funny, I'd like to find the original sometime ^_^
Old 2007-01-18, 21:50   Link #7
AerialDeathFireStyle

yes i agree some anime are better than their manga counter parts just look at the cowboy bebop manga.... snoose.... there was no hook to get you into the manga it just seemed so borign compared to the anime which has become a classic must see for anime fans
Old 2007-01-18, 23:45   Link #8
Fruitfly

I don't read too much manga but i have to say initial d. I think it was the music.
Old 2007-01-19, 01:22   Link #9
amoschid

I would say "Suzumiya Haruhi" manga is not quite as enjoyable as the anime
the anime is just..... perfect
Old 2007-01-19, 06:34   Link #10
Sole

imo these series were better in the anime version, or at least as good as the manga.

Hunter x Hunter - The author slack off a lot with his mangas, sketchy background art, empty boxes, massive dialogues, the anime was pretty good in comparison, if not better.
Evangelion - I think they're equally as good, since they offer something different in each of their own, but the anime was great
FMA - I thought FMA is more organized in the anime, art in the manga isn't that much better either, and felt like it had more fillers.
Orange road - While I think the ending in the manga version was a little bit better, but honestly I think the art was way better in anime >_>, ost was great too in the anime
Maison Ikkoku - I didn't really read all of the manga, so I can't say manga is superior, but music/art was really great in the anime.
Saint Seiya - I enjoy the anime a lot more, because of the art, and not that much difference in terms of story.
Kingyo Chuuihou! - Liked the Anime better

... I just noticed my weird taste in anime.
Old 2007-01-19, 07:26   Link #11
sl^sh3r
Unjustified Insanity

Naruto Anime >> Manga (till the filler arcs started)
Hunter X Hunter Anime >> Manga
Old 2007-01-19, 13:03   Link #12
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Hmm there are few but the ones that are, are to the extreme...o_o

Princess Tutu. The manga was such a waste when it COULD have been gorgeous. T_T I demand a remake!

Saber Marionette J. Manga's terrible, anime is win.

Tenkuu Escaflowne. Same as above although the hard-to-find shoujo one is nice.

Kodomo No Omocha TO AN EXTENT. The first half of the anime is better than the first 6 volumes of the manga BUT the last four volumes of the manga are so good that the last arcs of the anime are crap compared to it. Er no...they're just crap, period. They threw away the manga completely! I was sorely disappointed. KIL TEH PRODOOSER ZOMG!!! ASDLKFJTUJQO;WTJ*insert random cursing here*

Sorceror Stabber Orphen. The manga art is so.....like not good compared to the anime art...

Kannazuki No Miko. From what I've read of it...it just doesn't wow me like the anime does...and it's a lot more vulgar...
Souma is still hot either way though
Old 2007-01-19, 13:44   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The manga for Suzumiya Haruhi is one of those "after the anime" hacks.... (like those awful "books based on a movie"). The original novels are much better and there's a group translating those.

The only manga I've read that didn't quite measure up to the anime would be the series Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. I actually thought the anime was superior.... don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the manga... but the anime was directed by Shinbo who emphasized some of the zanier aspects while managing to keep the tragedy immediate. The manga is just more dark and the action sequences can be hard to follow at times (especially when several of the characters look very much alike).

EDIT: I just started reading the tokyopop release of Strawberry Marshmallow (Ichigo Masimaru) and I have to say the anime seems to do a better job than the manga so far ... but they've only released two volumes to date and the first volume is more "historical" (earlier versions of the characters).

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-01-25 at 12:28.
Old 2007-01-19, 17:10   Link #14
wontaek

My vote goes to
Koi Kaze: I have praised this series many times already. A study in how to control the pacing and voice acting.
Kimagure Orange Road: Manga form of Ayukawa Madoka was not inspiring. Anime form of Madoka is an icon still recognized by many.
Old 2007-01-19, 17:12   Link #15
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoschid View Post
I would say "Suzumiya Haruhi" manga is not quite as enjoyable as the anime
the anime is just..... perfect
I agree that the manga version isn't good, but the original material, the novel, is as good, if not better than the anime series.
Old 2007-01-19, 17:25   Link #16
Freeter
beyond

Girls Bravo - The anime goes for all out campiness and has fun with it. The manga, though, is actually starting to creep me out...

Rahxephon - The manga was shorter, had uglier designs, and lacked Yoko Kanno's masterful soundtrack.

Inuyasha - Yeah, the anime ended prematurely, but even you have to admit that it made Takahashi's penultimate work look a billion times better.

any Tenchi manga - Doesn't hold a candle to the first/second OVA series, although the same can be said for the TV series, spinoffs, OVA3, etc....
Old 2007-01-21, 02:53   Link #17
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Card Captor Sakura. The series was masterful (particularly the voice work). The manga, however, was just 'good'.

Scrapped Princess - I never read it. The cover is just too ugly. What did they do to Pacifica??? Even if it was slightly better in some way (which I doubt), that could never make up for the drastically worse character design and loss of a wonderful soundtrack, let alone well-animated action scenes, full color, and Fumiko Orikasa.

Full Metal Panic - they're both good, but only one has an excellent soundtrack and (again) great voice acting. Furthermore, high-quality animation will always be a winner for an action-oriented series.

@Agree with Escaflowne, Hunter x Hunter, and Saber Marionette J.
As for Koi Kaze, I have not read the manga but I cannot imagine it beating the anime.
Old 2007-01-27, 13:15   Link #18
MugenIchiban

I'd have to say Hunter x Hunter and FMA. I'd throw in Initial D but I still have to read more to get my final verdict.
Old 2007-01-27, 21:30   Link #19
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Scrapped Princess - I never read it. The cover is just too ugly. What did they do to Pacifica??? Even if it was slightly better in some way (which I doubt), that could never make up for the drastically worse character design and loss of a wonderful soundtrack, let alone well-animated action scenes, full color, and Fumiko Orikasa.
The manga was bad. The original material, the novel series itself, might be considered as a masterpiece among scifi+fantasy books. You get much better idea what the trio did as well as how awesome Shannon and Raquell can be by themselves. Christopher Armalite is much stronger in the book as well.
Old 2007-01-28, 03:25   Link #20
solarknight123

For me mai-hime the manga. I loved the anime alot, but when it came to the manga,little to no character development, too much fan service(kinda hot at first but got annoying esp with the tentacle orphans) & i esp didn't like the whole love triangle between mai, tate, and natsuki, or tate being the lead character. only good thing about it was how strong the himes were and the action. Now i think otome and its manga counterpart are a different case, with the anime paling in comparison to its manga counterpart.
Closed Thread