AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-06-02, 17:01   Link #601
Mena

"La Reina del Sur" a book about a famous drug dealer in Mexico, by this Spanish author Arturo Perez-Reverte and "Atonement" I think you know this book.
Mena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 13:35   Link #602
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm almost done with Tristram Shandy. Um ... I think it's for the English primarily.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 15:15   Link #603
Faeyice
it's animal, unbelievable
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm. The Twilight series, Land of Elyon chronicles, and some other stuff. I've already read most of the stuff I have multiple times, but that's the stuff I've read recently.
Old 2008-06-10, 18:06   Link #604
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm reading "Pillars of the Earth" currently. So far its a great book that surprise me. Its about the building of a Gothic Cathedral with lots of drama thrown in.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 18:53   Link #605
nanafan
horo fan

meh almost done with christy, think i am gonna start on the lovely bones by alice sebold, i heard that it's really good, i also want to check out the twilight series but i looked at the first book and it looks really long..
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 19:52   Link #606
crimmy88

Murakami's Dance Dance Dance was the last book ive read (2 weeks ago).. right now im in the middle of hunting down its prequel "a wild sheep chase" lol
crimmy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 06:24   Link #607
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Kitchen by Yoshimoto Banana.

Liked it a lot.
Old 2008-07-01, 13:07   Link #608
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Arctic Summer by E. M. Forster
The Fatal Eggs by Mikhail Bulgakov
The Circle of Reason by Amitav Ghosh
Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs by Wallace Stegner
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 16:32   Link #609
Nervous Venus

Attempting Haruki Murakami's After Dark in Japanese,
though I've spent more time splitting fingers over the kanji dictionary than actual reading.

This novel is not as great as A Wild Sheep Chase or Sputnik Sweetheart though. I was actually pretty bored with it, lol.
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 16:35   Link #610
nanafan
horo fan

i am close to being done with fall on your knees, it's an oprah book, not that i like oprah much, but some of the books she picks are ok, but really long reads i hear.
Old 2008-07-01, 18:56   Link #611
rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
Attempting Haruki Murakami's After Dark in Japanese,
though I've spent more time splitting fingers over the kanji dictionary than actual reading.

This novel is not as great as A Wild Sheep Chase or Sputnik Sweetheart though. I was actually pretty bored with it, lol.
your great , you are trying to read books in Japanese.

i have read those three books. And i have the same opinion with yours.
Murakami's recent books aren't good for me.
In my opinion his writing was the best while he was writing his debut novel 'Hear the wind sing' ~his best selling novel 'The Norwegian Wood' .
Especially the debut novel is awesome. If you haven't read it, i recommend you read it.

The books i have read recently are, 'The AUDACITY of HOPE' by Barak Obama and 'The BRAIN THAT CHANGES ITSELF' by Norman Doidge , i have read them in Japanese.

i came across the books when i was wandering around in a bookshop.

'The AUDACITY of HOPE' was very interesting. i thought Obama was so knowlegeable and cleaver. i am interested in American politics, and society because i am planning to move to the United States to study.

'The BRAIN THAT CHANGES ITSELF' was so-so. i like reading such a kind of books.

Next time, i want to read a scientific book again.

Last edited by rio; 2008-07-05 at 16:54.
rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 19:00   Link #612
nanafan
horo fan

fall on your knees is a book about a messed up family in sydney australia, 'nuff said
Old 2008-07-03, 13:43   Link #613
Nervous Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio View Post
your great , you are trying to read books in Japanese.

i have read those three books. And i have the same opinion with yours.
Murakami's recent books aren't good for me.
In my opinion his writing was the best while he was writing his debut novel 'Hear the wind sing' ~his best selling novel 'The Norwegian Wood' .
Especially the debut novel is awesome. If you haven't read it, i recommend you read it.
I've read Norwegian Wood three times. It's my favorite out of all his novels, actually. The opening lines when the main character is on a plane and he hears the song come on and it was so powerful to him that he felt like buckling over was probably the hook line and sinker for me. All I could say was "Woah..".
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:09   Link #614
solomon

Books? What is this "books" you speak of?
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:25   Link #615
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
'The AUDACITY of HOPE' was very interesting. i thought Obama was so knowlegeable and cleaver. i am interested in American politics, and society because i am planning to move to the United States to study.
How was this? I've always wanted to come around to getting to read it, but I never did. I did vote for Obama in the primaries, and obviously he's a great orator, but I wonder what his book is like. Is it very personal?

Edit: And yes, Norwegian Wood is the best.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 07:17   Link #616
rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
How was this? I've always wanted to come around to getting to read it, but I never did. I did vote for Obama in the primaries, and obviously he's a great orator, but I wonder what his book is like. Is it very personal?

Edit: And yes, Norwegian Wood is the best.

Yes, the book is really great. i didn't know the person well before i read it though i have often seen him speaking in front of many people on TV , so he was just a guy like being in a picture for me. But , after reading the book, i could grasp his personality so well and found he was cleaver, funny, knowlegeable, and only a usual person just like us. He can be worried, sad , depressed, angry, and happy .

i found myself enjoying reading the book though the book gave me a lot of important information of the politics and American society.

And of course, he writes about his family and the way he and his wife met and walked together , and how they are important for him.
i was also impressed his wife's intelligence and cool personality.
The lady is great.

So i recommend it. i think you will like it.
Old 2008-07-05, 11:05   Link #617
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Yes, the book is really great. i didn't know the person well before i read it though i have often seen him speaking in front of many people on TV , so he was just a guy like being in a picture for me. But , after reading the book, i could grasp his personality so well and found he was cleaver, funny, knowlegeable, and only a usual person just like us. He can be worried, sad , depressed, angry, and happy .

i found myself enjoying reading the book though the book gave me a lot of important information of the politics and American society.

And of course, he writes about his family and the way he and his wife met and walked together , and how they are important for him.
The lady is great.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely pick it up.

I consider Obama the most interesting American presidential candidate in a long time. I'm still not totally sure if I will vote for him in the upcoming election, but he is a very interesting person nonetheless.

I hope you enjoy your stay here in America. If you are interested in American politics, you might try a school here in Washington D.C. There will always be things here to keep you occupied in the politics department.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 18:22   Link #618
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:

The lady is great.

I finished reading "The Audacity of Hope" just recently too. Although usually i'd never read a book that discusses politics, i just couldn't put it down, it was a great read. It was a great insight into how American politics works, it helped me understand it just that little bit more than i did previously. Very intelligently written. THats all i can say, i'm not too good with writing reviews...so i'll just stop there.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 21:25   Link #619
ItsATag
Protagonst of Life

I'm a fantasy dork so I just finished 'Flesh and Spirit' by Carol Berg. A good friend recommended 'Nemesis' by Isaac Asimov to me. I've never been a real sci-fi fan but I want to see what it's about so I'm reading it now. I'm surprised by how much I like it so far...
ItsATag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 11:59   Link #620
forget.me.not.blues

I'm starting with Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. It's something for the literature course I'll be taking soon.
The book I just finished, is the Bucolics of Virgil, which was complicated due to being written in 1800's style english.
Originally translated from latin.
forget.me.not.blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books