Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-10-21, 05:35   Link #181
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post

Sony Bans European Hardware Imports from Lik-Sang

Yup. great going Sony, as if Europe hasn't suffered enough.

I don't get it, first they say it will region free, and now this ?
Either it won't be region free as promised or they are deceiving the court in a way.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 08:09   Link #182
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd View Post
Sony PS3 costs less than the Xbox 360 without a price drop!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/19/s...hus-costs-700/
Love how Sony "confused" the Wii's Opera Browser offer for online access.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 08:20   Link #183
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

So what if they ban Lik-Sang? You shouldn't buy from them anyway. They do tax fraud. They're criminals.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 09:31   Link #184
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
So what if they ban Lik-Sang? You shouldn't buy from them anyway. They do tax fraud. They're criminals.
not like it matters if your in Europe, Sony doesn't like the idea of customers getting imports of their PS3 if you can find your hands on any...
Old 2006-10-21, 17:35   Link #185
V-Slasher

and still I don't understand why 599 $ are converted to 599 €. that's 150 $ more!
V-Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 18:18   Link #186
Ending

@ V-Slasher: They are playing with your mind. Average Joe can think that 1$ is the same as 1€, so he might just pay 40 cents extra without noticing it. You know how passionate the masses can be about "My all-time favorite console!!!"

I have to admit, that perhaps Sony isn't the least spotty option after all when considering it rep-wise. When remembering that Nintendo makes mainly all-family games and Microsoft is rather infamous due of their copyright-lawsuits and "anti-piracy" harassment, I would have serious doubts about buying any of the new consoles.

I mean: what's wrong with PS2? It has great games, it works nicely, it's becoming really cheap (150 €!), and it can even be modded to support backup games! The new consoles... Well; what do they have beside hype, extravagant prices, ridicilous energy-comsumption, and a handful of barely decend games?

By the way, the Lik-Sang -ban is quite likely just hot air. If there is a new rule, it has to be enforced. How are they going to enforce the rule if there are millions of gray packages in the mail every day and one of them might have an "illegal PS3 import" in it? It's just hot air.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 20:23   Link #187
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
The new consoles... Well; what do they have beside hype, extravagant prices, ridicilous energy-comsumption, and a handful of barely decend games?

Funny how all your description, fit Microsoft and Sony, but only one for Nintendo, which is Hype. But meh, 1 out of four is bareable.

I gave up on Nintendo, after the SNES, but getting a Nintendo DS lite, has restored my faith in them. Honest to god, those games are fantastic.

I can't believe I've igonred all those Gameboy/advance games for so long.

This is why I have faith in the Wii. And i've been looking up all the few Gamecube games, its a small catalogue, but im surprised how the scores are pretty good for the majority. I suppose when you are so picky, you get alot of good quality. Anyway, I know when the wii comes out, i will have plenty of new gen and relatively new gamecube games.
Old 2006-10-22, 10:13   Link #188
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Nintendo eally set itself up for a fall after the SNES. After living large as the top dog in the console games industry for so long, they were used to getting their way no matter what they did. Really, one could draw a lot of comparisons between Nintendo then, and Sony right now.

Pretty much the primary reason I can't stand blind, unquestioning brand loyalty. There are no saints between the three currently dominant console developers.
Old 2006-10-22, 10:35   Link #189
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
PS3: $599 USD! $599 USD! $599 USD!

If I had to get one of the next gen, it would be the Revolution. Sure beats paying over half a grand. Either way, there will be only a game or two at its launch that would interest me, and the rest I would most likely blow off as crap. In the end, it's better to wait for better games to come out over time because by then the system could cost less than it did at it's original launch.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 11:42   Link #190
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
what's wrong with PS2? It has great games, it works nicely
That's a laugh. Many have gone through several.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 13:13   Link #191
Ending

Quote:
but getting a Nintendo DS lite, has restored my faith in them. Honest to god, those games are fantastic.
Had you bought Gamecube you wouldn't be thinking like this. N64 was barely worth the money (big money for a kid) a year after it was published and NGC wasn't even half of that after the same time, so I won't do the same mistake for the third time: buying before seeing what comes out of it.

Really, there is no rush to buy a new console. PS2 has a lot of good games to try out while waiting. Once the hype, prices, and slimmer models are out, then it might be a good time to reconsider. 400-600 bucks is a huge sum to pay of one console and if you want to have games to play, you have to be prepared to pay as much as 1.000 bucks up-front. Think about it: 1.000 bucks of 1 console and 4-6 games. You could get a new computer with that money.
Old 2006-10-22, 13:27   Link #192
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

i didnt buy a ps2. mostly because i've seen my mates go though a minimum of three PS2's, all from malfunctions.

Really, sure at each time, he bought it cheaper, but what is wrong with Sony with a product that is suppose to have a lifecycle of 5yrs that only last a year and a bit?

I'm so glad I didnt buy it.

You gotta hand it to Nintendo, there hardware are reliable, you can't fault them for that.
Old 2006-10-22, 16:02   Link #193
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Many don't know how to take care of their consoles...

I've had a dreamcast, a ps, an N64, a gameboy, a gameboy advance, a ds, a PS2, and now a 360. With the exception of the 360, these are all very technically solid consoles (I just know that the 360 DID have serious problems at launch). I have NEVER had a problem with a console and NEVER buy warranties because I take extreme care of my consoles. I do often take them on trips, but I keep them clean and store them in places where there aren't going to get banged up or overheat. My guess is that the LARGE majority of broken consoles get that way from mis-use. So...no, the PS2 isn't idiot proof, but who, truly, can anticipate the genius of an idiot.
Old 2006-10-22, 16:31   Link #194
Toxic
Champion of Obscurity

Send a message via MSN to Toxic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit View Post
Many don't know how to take care of their consoles...

I've had a dreamcast, a ps, an N64, a gameboy, a gameboy advance, a ds, a PS2, and now a 360. With the exception of the 360, these are all very technically solid consoles (I just know that the 360 DID have serious problems at launch). I have NEVER had a problem with a console and NEVER buy warranties because I take extreme care of my consoles. I do often take them on trips, but I keep them clean and store them in places where there aren't going to get banged up or overheat. My guess is that the LARGE majority of broken consoles get that way from mis-use. So...no, the PS2 isn't idiot proof, but who, truly, can anticipate the genius of an idiot.
You know, you should look into stuff before you make stupid claims like that. Sony admitted themselves that the PS2 was majorly fucked up. I was one of the unlucky people who bought one of the early versions, which got screwed after about a year. The lens stopped working. The later versions are stable enough though, but they're still not without their problems.
Since you're saying what you just said, I'll be assuming you bought your PS2 recently. 2 years ago at most.

@Wordplay: There's nothing wrong with the Gamecube. It's my favorite console, in fact. Same with most of my RL friends.
It has excellent games, such as Super Smash Brothers Melee, Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin. The controller is awesome. It's the best one I've seen for a console yet.
It's also small, and the graphics are pretty damn good, especially for that small of a size.

If you would please give me a valid point of why the Gamecube is bad, I'll let you pass
Toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 16:48   Link #195
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
I'll be assuming you bought your PS2 recently. 2 years ago at most.

@Wordplay: There's nothing wrong with the Gamecube. It's my favorite console, in fact. Same with most of my RL friends.
It has excellent games, such as Super Smash Brothers Melee, Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin. The controller is awesome. It's the best one I've seen for a console yet.
It's also small, and the graphics are pretty damn good, especially for that small of a size.

If you would please give me a valid point of why the Gamecube is bad, I'll let you pass
It's been 3 years now, and not a single problem.

As to the gamecube, it suffers from a serious lack of adult-oriented games. It has a handful of great games, but its library can't compare to the PS2 or even the Xbox. That said, it's highly probable that Nintendo will expand its adult appeal this generation.
Old 2006-10-22, 17:21   Link #196
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Early PS2 versions had problems, but I believe later versions fixed that. At least, I haven't had a problem with mine (3+ years now, pushing close to four). And I haven't been gentle with it in any way, since I use swap magic to play imports.

For the next gen, Wii definitely looks the most interesting to me. But right now it's all hype.. I'll probably see how it actually plays before buying one.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 17:49   Link #197
Ending

@ Toxic: wsheit said it. Not enough games in general and even less of good, adult-oriented ones. N64 had the same fault. Granted, NGC looks neat (if you exclude the initial purple-design) and I liked of the mini-DVDs too, but it is obvious to me that Nintendo is more about kid's toys than real games. Try guessing what the new controller is.

Quote:
it's highly probable that Nintendo will expand its adult appeal this generation.
Oh, really? Based on what? On the fact that the last two generations of their consoles have been almost solely about "all-family-fun?"
Old 2006-10-22, 18:05   Link #198
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
@ Toxic: wsheit said it. Not enough games in general and even less of good, adult-oriented ones. N64 had the same fault. Granted, NGC looks neat (if you exclude the initial purple-design) and I liked of the mini-DVDs too, but it is obvious to me that Nintendo is more about kid's toys than real games. Try guessing what the new controller is.

Oh, really? Based on what? On the fact that the last two generations of their consoles have been almost solely about "all-family-fun?"
Ok- I admit it...I kinda threw that last comment in there as a peacemaker
Old 2006-10-22, 18:20   Link #199
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:

The irony: I'm still on the first PS2 we got several years ago.

So, do I have the Jesus of PS2s or something? 4 years and still kicking.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-22, 19:27   Link #200
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb View Post
The irony: I'm still on the first PS2 we got several years ago.

So, do I have the Jesus of PS2s or something? 4 years and still kicking.
wel some of us are just lucky. There is a thng called the law of statistics.

That out a defected batch, some are bound to be fine. count yourself lucky.

Too bad the majority was not.

Tags
console