Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-26, 15:55   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Exclamation New Spring Banner Contest!!

Welcome to the new banner contest. I know that many of you are expecting to see a Valentine's Day themed contest, but one of the problems with the last contest is that there wasn't enough time to have it and then we had to take down the Christmas banners after far too short a time because Christmas had already passed. In order to head off this problem I am choosing a holiday slightly further down the road. The theme for this holiday will be Easter. Since Easter is on Sunday April 11, 2004 this year, we will have quite a bit of time to enjoy the new banners.

You all know what Easter means don't you? Bunny Girls! I expect to see a lot of bunny girl themed banners so have fun with them. Other legal entries will include easter eggs, chicks and anything that suggests the season of Spring as well as anything that your tortured imaginations can correlate with this theme. I will warn you that the moderators (perhaps more specifically, me) will disqualify any banner that we deem to be offensive or inappropriate. I hope that we won't see any banners that we need to disqualify.

The rest of the rules:
  • All entries must have a Spring or Easter theme.
  • The edges of all banners must blend into the top bar. Please see below for details.
  • All entries must be in GIF, PNG or JPG format. Remember, we want the banner to be able to load quickly for the sake of 56Kers so no animations will be accepted and filesize should be kept to 20K or less.
  • Each member may only enter 3 banners maximum. If you go over this number, your last 3 entries will be used.
  • One and a half weeks will be allotted for banner creation. We will judge the end of this time by the posting date in your particular timezone. While this gives some people a little more time than others, it shouldn't be much of an advantage. Final date for all entries is February 5th, 2004.
  • This thread is to be used for banner entries only. Nominations in this thread will be ignored. However it is the place to tell each other which banners you like, I just won't count it as a nomination.
  • On February 6th, 2004 a new thread will be created in which everyone will nominate their favorite banners. No more nominations after February 12th, 2004.
  • At this time the 10 most popular banners will be put up on a poll for the entire forum to vote for since more people respond to polls that don't require them to post. Each contestant will only be listed once regardless of how many banners he entered.
  • The poll will close after exactly 7 days of voting. Polls close automatically so please check the poll for information concerning when it will close in your timezone.
  • There will be 3 winners whose banners will rotate:
    • The entry with a Spring theme who gets the most votes.
    • The entry with an Easter theme who gets the most votes.
    • The entry that got the next most number of votes
  • Of these three, One is the winner and the other two are runner ups. The winner is the contestant whose entry got the greatest number of votes. As recognition of the accomplishment this winner will recieve a special prize generously donated by NightWish: an anime DVD of the winners choice.

Disclaimers:
  • I may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate.
  • No moderators (of any rank) are allowed to win the grand prize. If by some stroke of brilliant artistry one of us does win, the prize will go to the first runner up.
  • All winners become property of AnimeSuki and may be used in future years without asking your permission.

If you want to use the The AnimeSuki font, here it is.

The edges of the banner must blend into the top bar. That means the very edge of the template below must not be covered by any image or else it will look like it has been cut off.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 650x60-Banner-AnimeSuki-Template.gif (2.9 KB, 397 views)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-01-27 at 04:19.
Old 2004-01-26, 16:09   Link #2
Forse
r00t for life

should size be 650x60px?
Old 2004-01-26, 16:12   Link #3
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Yes. That's why I attached that image. You need to fit your entry on the template without covering up the left-most and right-most edges of the banner. If you do it properly it will blend into the top bar like our current banner does.

Edit: I just added another disclaimer in case we decide to use the winners again next year.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-01-26, 16:20   Link #4
wnkryo
HainShodan

If we win can we get a hat??!!!

edit: with a spinning wheel on it??!!
Old 2004-01-26, 16:22   Link #5
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

No. If you win you get an anime DVD! That's better than a hat.

JAppi has just reminded me that I was foolish enough to not explicitly rule out animated gifs. The loop-hole is now plugged. Thanks JAppi.

Old 2004-01-26, 16:24   Link #6
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No. If you win you get an anime DVD! That's better than a hat.

JAppi has just reminded me that I was foolish enough to not explicitly rule out animated gifs. Loop-hole is now plugged. Thanks JAppi.

That depends. If that hat has a wheel on it or not.
Old 2004-01-26, 16:49   Link #7
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

The Kazoo shall reign supreme over the AnimeSuki forums!

Old 2004-01-26, 18:32   Link #8
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

It was a spring-faerie thing, but it seems to have lost its
spring look when I added it to the banner.
Old 2004-01-26, 21:19   Link #9
wnkryo
HainShodan

I really want that hat (with the spinning wheel on it >.<) so how is this:

Old 2004-01-26, 23:33   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

wnkryo, I'm sorry, but to blend in with the top bar, the edges of your banner have to match our template. Please shade to our gradient at the right and left or else we can't use the banner your made for us.

Thank you.

PS. If you really want that hat, please tell us a website where it can be bought and maybe we'll consider offering it as an alternative prize for the winner. Seriously. I'm not kidding. If you can find that hat for us, then (assuming that it isn't too expensive) we will offer it as an alternative prize for the winner. I wouldn't want you to get stuck with an anime DVD you don't want.

Old 2004-01-27, 00:04   Link #11
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi

^_^ Disqualified already! I'll post the less offensive version later.

Edit by NoSanninWa: This post isn't especially offensive, but it is inappropriate, so you're right about being disqualified. I wonder if you're really going to do a serious banner later...

Heres' the serious one without the text ^_^

Old 2004-01-27, 01:05   Link #12
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
wnkryo, I'm sorry, but to blend in with the top bar, the edges of your banner have to match our template. Please shade to our gradient at the right and left or else we can't use the banner your made for us.

Thank you.

PS. If you really want that hat, please tell us a website where it can be bought and maybe we'll consider offering it as an alternative prize for the winner. Seriously. I'm not kidding. If you can find that hat for us, then (assuming that it isn't too expensive) we will offer it as an alternative prize for the winner. I wouldn't want you to get stuck with an anime DVD you don't want.
wow u guys actually go and spend ur money. Not an average gathering of otakus this forum. or maybe its just me thats cheap.
Old 2004-01-27, 01:47   Link #13
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
wow u guys actually go and spend ur money. Not an average gathering of otakus this forum. or maybe its just me thats cheap.
They must have been impressed by wnkryo's passion for hats with spinning wheels on them.

As for me, I'm now going to use up my second and third (a.k.a. last) banners.

Attempt 1 --

Attempt 2 --

I tried to get it to look like there were sakura petals falling, but I decided to just forget it. As you can see, this is about as far as my artistic skills can get. A badly cropped image of Sakura and a font that "looked like spring".

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2004-01-27 at 02:18.
Old 2004-01-27, 02:31   Link #14
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
um..heres my momiji banner..I went alittle crazy

Old 2004-01-27, 02:40   Link #15
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Oh my! That's really nice! Can you tell me how that is themed for either spring or easter? I don't think that critter is a bunny.

Old 2004-01-27, 03:49   Link #16
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Question Request...

NoSanninWa: Do you think you could alter the file format restriction from "non-animated GIF" to "non-animated GIF, PNG or JPG"? The restriction has no advantages and would disqualify all execpt boneyjellyfish's entries above -- I think some people need to read the rules again .

To make it 56k-er safe I would use a file size restriction; something along the lines of 15-20Kb would be sufficient for even the most complex banners. Personally I would advocate JPG and at the end of the day we can convert it anyway .

( ... and yes I'm sure the fund will cover a hat as long as it is not much more than a DVD ^^;; ~ )
Old 2004-01-27, 04:17   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I don't have a problem with it. Consider it done.

Old 2004-01-27, 05:03   Link #18
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

~__________~

i thought i would bring the avatar girl out to play

how cute ^__~ (she has bunny ears aswell ^_~)

Green for spring (don't ask me why i associate green with spring, i just do!!)

Last edited by Kyoji; 2004-01-27 at 09:09.
Old 2004-01-27, 05:53   Link #19
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Wee my first submission! Hope you all like...I hope I win err may the best man or woman win.

Old 2004-01-27, 10:54   Link #20
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Quote:
To make it 56k-er safe I would use a file size restriction; something along the lines of 15-20Kb would be sufficient for even the most complex banners. Personally I would advocate JPG and at the end of the day we can convert it anyway .
oh my...erm, is it ok if one's 21kb? ^^"
Closed Thread

Tags
banner contest, contest