AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-26, 22:04   Link #161
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Oh boy not KGNE mark 2
Actually, it would remind me more of a specific path of the Da Capo II game that won't be animated. Anyway, who knows -- if Noe's "just fine", then the jump was sort of pointless drama. If she's not fine, then it's a matter of degrees. Falling from that height has caused trouble to sad girls in snow before...

In the end, I'm a lot more comfortable trying to understand the symbolic side of the plot than the physical side. To me, generally, the mechanics don't matter (only the message), so I don't think about it all that much. So even I wouldn't take any of my ideas about mechanics as more than just blind "speculation and theories". In this one and only aspect, I can concede that lots of different things can happen and still drive home to the main message and point of the show.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:21   Link #162
Theowne
耳をすませば

I think the extent of harm to Noe doesn't matter because I think there is significance in the fact that Noe tries to jump from that tree without Shin to fall on, which she has asked for every time since the beginning. It shows to what extent she will go to try and do something she believes will benefit Shin (eliminate her need for him). Well, that's my interpretation, at least.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-03-26, 22:30   Link #163
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
For me personally, just doing something different for the sake of doing something different doesn't interest me. It's how they get to that point that I think is of most relevance. If Shinichirou ends up in love with Noe, I don't think that alone will be "breaking away from the trend" any more than him ending up with Hiromi. (Both have significant precidence in anime storytelling.) There's a lot more to this show than just "who the protagonist declares his love to". If you simplify it down to that one sole element, at the expense of all the others, I think that all it does is encourage shipping, and the inevitable "waahhh! my favourite girl didn't win! worst show ever!" follow-up posts. That's one "popular trend" that I really wish we'd all break away from.

Edit: Again with the summary statement -- what I'm trying to say is that the romantic outcome of the final episode alone isn't what's going to make this show "original" or "not original". Otherwise, you're diminishing the importance of what happened in the 12 previous episodes.

Well, I guess I gotta defend my POV a little now. I've seen bajillion of harem shows like this out there, and I'm pretty much ready to loathe the genre from its uneventful, fanservice-esque, very predictable, one-track, stereotypical story. You have the ordinary-high-school-nothing-special main guy, the beautiful childhood friend (with lots of admirers to boot),living together, third girl appears causes drama, childhood friend and main guy raburabu, their love conquers all, story ends. I understand you have no problems with stereotypical scenarios as long as its consistent. I respect that, actually. ^_^ But for me as another viewer, I'm here to be entertained. Seeing a common scenario where I can basically tell what will happen next is not fun for me.

What interests me in True Tears is that I think this show is not out to give us something that we see coming. Like you said, there IS more to this show other than what we are given at face value. In my case, I was hooked because this show isn't just about the "childhood friend and the main guy's happiness". My meaning of "breaking away from the trend" is exactly as it is. How many shows out there are as unpredictable as this? There's only a few and it comes every once in a blue moon.

Also, this show is a Romance genre. Whether we like it or not, people will anticipate who ends up with who. Since I seem to be always defending Noe here, I guess that makes me a "shipper"? lol Anyway, just because I want this show to do Noe justice doesn't mean I'm in here only for the shipping. I do pay attention to the important things that happened in all 12 episodes and I do look at the whole storyline as a whole. I see consistency taking shape next episode. Honestly, the amount of symbolisms (tears, Raigo/Jibeta), the things Shin draws, and the double-edged words Noe says Versus Shin's daily life are what keeps my interest in this show. That's why I like where this show is going.

And in defense for those who are only here just for the shipping, is it really that bad? I don't see anything bad about rooting for the character they like, and booing this show as they see fit. It's their freedom to appreciate and not appreciate this show for what it is. ^_~ This is just anime. If rooting for their fave is what makes this show fun, then I say that's great.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:40   Link #164
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Well, I guess I gotta defend my POV a little now. I've seen bajillion of harem shows like this out there, and I'm pretty much ready to loathe the genre from its uneventful, fanservice-esque, very predictable, one-track, stereotypical story. You have the ordinary-high-school-nothing-special main guy, the beautiful childhood friend (with lots of admirers to boot),living together, third girl appears causes drama, childhood friend and main guy raburabu, their love conquers all, story ends. I understand you have no problems with stereotypical scenarios as long as its consistent. I respect that, actually. ^_^ But for me as another viewer, I'm here to be entertained. Seeing a common scenario where I can basically tell what will happen next is not fun for me.
The thing is I've seen plenty of anime/manga where what you want to happen here actually happened, so to me both scenarios are overplayed/stereotypical. There's a good reason why Dragonkain is keeping a list of shows where the childhood friend wins/loses because he's sick of seeing people saying they never win. Yet if it's so stereotypical why do so many people say that? Because the weird/mysterious girl winning over the childhood friend happens a lot too, it's not something fresh that True Tears will be doing. The most recent example being from a show that aired in Fall 07, I'm also currently reading a harem manga where the childhood friend has no chance with the male lead, it's obvious the "cat" in the title will win.
Old 2008-03-26, 22:48   Link #165
golthin

Quote:
The thing is I've seen plenty of anime/manga where what you want to happen here actually happened, so to me both scenarios are overplayed/stereotypical. There's a good reason why Dragonkain is keeping a list of shows where the childhood friend wins/loses because he's sick of seeing people saying they never win. Yet if it's so stereotypical why do so many people say that? Because the weird/mysterious girl winning over the childhood friend happens a lot too, it's not something fresh that True Tears will be doing. The most recent example being from a show that aired in Fall 07, I'm also currently reading a harem manga where the childhood friend has no chance with the male lead, it's obvious the "cat" in the title will win.
that is whyi don't think Hiromi will lose. I really doubt they will double whammy the show in one shot. Aiko already lost, so if Hiromi is passed over it will be the worst strike to the childhoodfriend archetype in anime. I don't think I have seen an anime where two childhoodfriends are passed over for another girl before.
Old 2008-03-26, 23:02   Link #166
ani_d

I'm talking about predictability vs unpredictability. In shows where third wheel wins, do we know right away that the second girl who appears will actually get the guy in the end? True Tears showed us the obvious pair in episode 1, and that's mainly why I said I want something out of the obvious.

And I'd also like to clarify that my "Noe ending" doesn't have to include a cheesy ShinxNoe finale. I just want to see Shin be what Noe wants him to be. Noe = crying tears of joy = Perfect ending

*Edit

@golthin

Does that mean you're out of the 50/50 and is now rooting for Hiromi? lol
Old 2008-03-26, 23:58   Link #167
Westlo
Lets be reality

golthin has left his cowardly 50/50 prediction behind to go with an 80/20 split in favor of Hiromi. I'm at 90/10 for Hiromi and I haven't been wrong in the last 6 months with predictions like this, I think golthin is on a similar streak, though longer.
Old 2008-03-27, 00:33   Link #168
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm going with a 80/10 split. in favor of Hiromi of course. the other 10 is the possibility that one of the three girls pulls a Sekai.
Old 2008-03-27, 01:00   Link #169
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
@golthin

Does that mean you're out of the 50/50 and is now rooting for Hiromi? lol
I am not rooting! My girl already lost and I don't switch sides. I am just saying that Hiromi now has better chances after I looked at the website images a little more. I gave it 80% Hiromi and 20% noe. I think Hiromi deserves it more but if Noe wins it I won't be upset.
Old 2008-03-27, 01:13   Link #170
ZODDGUTS

I also think it's going to be a Hiromi ending but more importantly is if the chicken is still going to be alive at the very end... I don't trust Noe with that chicken...
Old 2008-03-27, 01:18   Link #171
b0nyb0y

For the fact that people keep arguing (and weighing) that either Hiromi or Noe will win is enough indication that it's hard to know what will happen next. As such, I don't think True Tears is really that predictable, nor will it be boring just because the endgirl happens to be either Hiromi or Noe. The fact that we have so much fun coming up with so many speculations and interpretations is a proof of that. Sure some people might bring up a cliche' issue and all that. But really, if you throw away that preconception away and look at the series as it is, you'll enjoy it a lot more.
Old 2008-03-27, 03:41   Link #172
be0wulf
it's friday

Send a message via MSN to be0wulf
I'm trying to tell people that Shin will end up with Jibeta, but no one is listening =/

http://www.chunlikickedme.tumblr.com
Old 2008-03-27, 11:45   Link #173
cebukitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post
I'm trying to tell people that Shin will end up with Jibeta, but no one is listening =/
cluck cluck cluck, i'm listening!
Old 2008-03-27, 11:59   Link #174
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
JibetaXShin ending ftw plz
Old 2008-03-27, 12:25   Link #175
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by be0wulf View Post
But wait, Shinichirou just said that he sees himself as Jibeta. So does this mean he'd end up with... himself? *boggle, boggle* That and all the parallels the show keeps making to Hiromi and Shinichirou's mother, not to mention Noe and Jun... I'm sure Freud would have something to say...
Old 2008-03-27, 13:21   Link #176
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

All right, I'm betting my left arm that Noe wins.

Let's see how this turns out, I've never been so clueless in an anime of this genre.
Old 2008-03-27, 13:50   Link #177
ani_d

Quote:
golthin has left his cowardly 50/50 prediction behind to go with an 80/20 split in favor of Hiromi. I'm at 90/10 for Hiromi and I haven't been wrong in the last 6 months with predictions like this, I think golthin is on a similar streak, though longer.
Well, I haven't been wrong in predicting harem shows like this either--ever. I always see it coming whether I like the chosen girl or not. This'll be a first if I get it wrong--which will be interesting. I'm going to stop playing safe now. After ep 12, my intuition tells me it's a Noe ending. ^__^ Reckoner, I feel ya.
Old 2008-03-27, 15:15   Link #178
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Well after agonizing over all the info the insane amount of really good post Im calling 80/20 split along with Golthin in favor Hiromi. I have spent days going over all the clues and hints since i just cant do it anymore for the sake of my mental state im going with my gut instinct which is usually right. Im not in favor of Hiromi over Noe since i was Aiko fan but i do think she deserves it more than Noe i think shes going to pull off the win. Also, i think Shins mom is going to surprise us all in the final episode. Not to mention looks like theres a talk between Shin and Jun i cant see it very well but it looks like Jun
Old 2008-03-27, 16:10   Link #179
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Well after agonizing over all the info the insane amount of really good post Im calling 80/20 split along with Golthin in favor Hiromi. I have spent days going over all the clues and hints since i just cant do it anymore for the sake of my mental state im going with my gut instinct which is usually right. Im not in favor of Hiromi over Noe since i was Aiko fan but i do think she deserves it more than Noe i think shes going to pull off the win. Also, i think Shins mom is going to surprise us all in the final episode. Not to mention looks like theres a talk between Shin and Jun i cant see it very well but it looks like Jun
I am more excited about episode 13 of TT than I was for episode 24 of kimikiss! the difference between Kimikiss and TT is that in kimikiss, the ending was so obvious that anything else would have been almost impossible. In TT depending on who you talk to, anything is possible.
Old 2008-03-27, 19:46   Link #180
AznSoulBoy
Syouke

At the beginning, I was rooting for Noe though but now I've changed my mind.
I'm all in everything, kidding. I'm also betting my left arm that it will be Hiromi ending.

I spent so much days just for this. It looks my head is going to burst out.
I'm with Sinestra, I'm going with my gut instinct too.