AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-22, 17:06   Link #13561
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
T
For example, the whole memory divided into different parts of the brain in the first volume made me really happy, as it basically kicked the long standing "You only use 10% of your brain" in the nuts and and then pointed and laughed at the idea.

You already use 15% of your brain by not even doing anything, and max out at 30% when you're using everything
Old 2011-08-22, 17:07   Link #13562
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
You already use 15% of your brain by not even doing anything, and max out at 30% when you're using everything
And over the course of a single day you're likely to have used close to 100% of it.
Old 2011-08-22, 17:28   Link #13563
mols

Actually, we always use all the brain everytime. In different ways or intensity depending on the actions. But it's true that I liked when finally I heard someone point that only using 10% is a lie.
Old 2011-08-22, 17:39   Link #13564
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Didn't Mythbusters do something on the 10% thing recently?

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-08-22, 17:43   Link #13565
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mols View Post
Actually, we always use all the brain everytime. In different ways or intensity depending on the actions.
Biology isn't my strong suit.
Old 2011-08-22, 18:23   Link #13566
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
Didn't Mythbusters do something on the 10% thing recently?
Yeah, that's where I get my numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
True, knowing this stuff can spoil fiction in some ways as you know that it makes no fucking sense and violates the understood laws of... well, whatever is being discussed.... but for me it adds an extra level of enjoyment when they do get things right or openly defy deepseated mistakes that pass as norms.
There's a reason why Scientists still like Science Fictions, it's because it inspires imagination. So that's how I judge my Sci-Fi series, not by how accurate they portrait their sciences, but whether they can inspire imagination and thinking.

Of course it does help if the science they portrait is more accurate than not, but honestly I'm not particularly critical of it- After all it's ridiculously troublesome to get everything right.
Old 2011-08-22, 18:32   Link #13567
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanfare
The guy in white uniform managed to advance by several metres with just a kick, and Kuroko watches him leave, and asks the other boy who's left behind.

“Who was that guy?”

Haratani pulls a face with regards to the girl's question,

“That's created from a level 4 esper. What you saw was all just an illusion. It would be better for your mental health if you think that way. Maybe...”
I'm telling you, he's the ESP equivalent of the Magic side's Majin title. Ollerus was right.

He just needs someone to teach him how to master his power.

Gee, I wonder who could that be.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-08-22, 20:36   Link #13568
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Majin implies that he knows a great deal of knowledge and has near perfected his craft.

Gunha on the other... Is what Kamachi wants if he needs a standard shounen hero... You know... So long as he doesn't talk about Nakama power... And power-up in mid battle...

With that kind of character there's no need to teach him anything, just keep throwing at him wave after wave of enemies to fight.
Old 2011-08-22, 21:30   Link #13569
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
As for Touma, it's not about the level of injury, but more about his wolverine-like healing factor. Critical injury doesn't heal in less than a week, but he manages to suffer a lot of critical injury in the span of less than half a year
I'd think it's not because Touma has anything special in healing himself, but instead Heaven Canceller is Just That Good.
Old 2011-08-22, 21:41   Link #13570
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

At the same time, After getting the crap beat out of him by Kihara, and being gutted like a fish by Aiwass, Accelerator seem to heal pretty well for a supposedly frail guy.

I mean, look at Worst- She's been in a cast for what seems like forever

And I guessed Uiharu must have died from her injuries by Kakine cause we never saw her again... (Yup, not even in any coloured illustration... >.>)
Old 2011-08-22, 21:45   Link #13571
judasmartel
*Author

Umm, guys, I think this could help in determining HOW Misaka is able to do her Railgun:

http://anime.scripts.mit.edu/miteiru...ific-analysis/

Spoiler for Excerpt:

This is the only theory so far that I could buy, as it has already been proven in Science that there is a certain limit to which an insulator does not conduct electricity. This is the reason why we see "DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE" signs at power plants.

Now, about the air being the "rails" and the "electromagnet creation" approach, I remembered Sano from Law of Ueki create a makeshift "bullet train" out of himself and his powers. That was possible because of constant attraction and repulsion, going through a cycle which makes the "train" go super fast.

Also, my theory is that Misaka's Railgun does not move in an exact straight line, but rather on a linear rotational motion, with the coin spinning like crazy as it moves through a line, but not necessarily straight because arcs of lightning ain't straight.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2011-08-22 at 21:57.
Old 2011-08-22, 21:51   Link #13572
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
how much voltage can Misaka generate?
1 billion volts easily.

(That is the max I think, according to some of the narrative.)
Old 2011-08-22, 21:58   Link #13573
Hiro Hayase

From volumes 7-22, Ridovia Lorenzetti is now Lidvia Lorenzetti and ESPer is now esper according to Toaru no Majustu Index formatting standards. It's been a loooong day....

Exceptions: I left 'ESP research' the way it is.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:00   Link #13574
judasmartel
*Author

Okay, so 100 MV is the lower limit, then. Now, if we use her upper bound of 1 GigaVolts, she can electrocute people from:

1,000,000,000 V / (300,000 V/m) = 3,333 meters = about 2 miles away!

Wow!
Old 2011-08-22, 22:24   Link #13575
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Okay, so 100 MV is the lower limit, then. Now, if we use her upper bound of 1 GigaVolts, she can electrocute people from:

1,000,000,000 V / (300,000 V/m) = 3,333 meters = about 2 miles away!

Wow!
Well it's not that simple. Electricity takes the path of least electrical resistance, and also has a tendency to run to ground FAST.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:38   Link #13576
judasmartel
*Author

Well, that figures why Misaka grabs her opponents FIRST before electrocuting them or she would release a lightning storm on her own, obviously affecting innocents.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:47   Link #13577
leukrota

About Mikoto's power... let's just go with the concept that personal reality is some sort of reality shift inside the esper's brain, that allows them to bring their mental image into the real world, overriding the normal physics.

Quote:
And I guessed Uiharu must have died from her injuries by Kakine cause we never saw her again... (Yup, not even in any coloured illustration... >.>)
She does appear in the background on NT (along with Saten and Haruue): http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...01_003-005.jpg

The one that hasn't made an appearance is Kuroko... since the day she interrupted Mikoto's date. Maybe the consequence was getting killed in her sleep once the events of that day were over.
Old 2011-08-22, 22:54   Link #13578
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
She does appear in the background on NT (along with Saten and Haruue): http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/in...01_003-005.jpg
LIES! LIES! I refuse to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukrota View Post
The one that hasn't made an appearance is Kuroko... since the day she interrupted Mikoto's date. Maybe the consequence was getting killed in her sleep once the events of that day were over.
Come to think of it, the only girl missing from this big harem-fest is Imouto 10032...

Heh
Old 2011-08-22, 22:58   Link #13579
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
What do you have against poor Uiharu?
Old 2011-08-22, 23:12   Link #13580
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Kakine curbstomped the spare body, not Uiharu .
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen