AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-05, 19:26   Link #1
Anime Daisuki

Romance Anime with a Good Male Character

Frankly, I'm getting sick of the spineless, indecisive, nose bleeding, weak, geeky, and otherwise useless male characters in romance animes. I'm looking for a romance anime with male characters such as Kyon from Suzumiya Haruhi, Okazaki Tomoya from Clannad, and Yuuchi from Kanon. Those would be the model male leads but I understand that they're hard to find so as long as he isn't any of the above, I'll accept it.
Old 2008-10-05, 19:35   Link #2
X18999
Zeig Zeon!

I second his request
Old 2008-10-05, 19:45   Link #3
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Daisuki View Post
Frankly, I'm getting sick of the spineless, indecisive, nose bleeding, weak, geeky, and otherwise useless male characters in romance animes. I'm looking for a romance anime with male characters such as Kyon from Suzumiya Haruhi, Okazaki Tomoya from Clannad, and Yuuchi from Kanon. Those would be the model male leads but I understand that they're hard to find so as long as he isn't any of the above, I'll accept it.
Perhaps this doesn't match your exact request, but I can suggest a series with a character who actively grows/develops throughout the series into the character you are looking for. Maison Ikkoku is a great, satisfying series in this regard. Downsides: It is an older series, and long (around 100 episodes). Still, there really isn't much more satisfying anime than this, from both a male and female development perspective.

In terms of later series...Kare Kano's male lead doesn't seem to share any of the traits you listed. Honey and Clover is also a great series with respectable male characters.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2008-10-05, 19:55   Link #4
jedinat

Two anime started this season may be of interest:
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka
Toradora!

Nodame Cantabile - their relationship doesn't get all that romantic, but Chiaki is what you're looking for (there should be more actual romance in the next season, which starts this month)
Old 2008-10-05, 21:33   Link #5
Autumn Demon
~

school days would be the obvious choice.
ef - a tale of memories has a character kind of similar to Okazaki Tomoya from Clannad.
kareshi kanojo no jijou kind of works.
Old 2008-10-06, 09:17   Link #6
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Paradise Kiss - the love interest of the main female character can be accused of many things but spineless or weak he most certainly is not.

And I second Nodame Cantabile.

Old 2008-10-06, 10:07   Link #7
Ash Falls Town

Ginban Kaleidoscope
Pete is a cool, mostly collected (he doesn't like tomatoes but that's the worst of it) and he's a young pilot. He also helps the girl out quite a bit in the series. Not as snarky as Kyon or Tomoya but he is comparable to Yuuchi (toei version at least). Also he doesn't nosebleed or freak out when he sees the main girl naked.
Old 2008-10-06, 13:20   Link #8
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

You could try H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~ The male lead is constantly trying to patch things up between chars and (for the most part) takes responsibility for what he does.

Also, personally, I don't think School Days is really what the OP is looking for. Nothing says "indecisive hormone driven (nose bleeding) main char" like School Days imo, oh and you can probably easily add on "spineless" towards the end easy enough. Don't get me wrong, I think School Days is a very good series and worth watching, but strictly speaking about what OP wants it's probably not a good fit considering he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Daisuki
I'm getting sick of the spineless, indecisive, nose bleeding...
Spoiler for Reasons/School Day Story Spoilers:

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate

Last edited by Cynor; 2008-10-06 at 14:53.
Old 2008-10-06, 14:26   Link #9
Mashda2k6

Hmm I'd say Akitsuki Yamato from Suzuka might fit your description.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:46   Link #10
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashda2k6 View Post
Hmm I'd say Akitsuki Yamato from Suzuka might fit your description.
You are joking.
He cries on his bed on more than one occasion--and not in a "oh, I feel sorry for the guy" kind of way, but in a "god, I want to kill that twerp" sort of way.
Old 2008-10-06, 19:08   Link #11
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Hmm... you want to try Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. I wouldn't say he's very strong, like Tomoya or Yuuichi, but hes not a dumb idiot and is strong at times and breaks a lot of male romance protagonist cliches.
Old 2008-10-06, 20:48   Link #12
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

definately fmp, funny and strong male lead, and he doesn't do nose bleed, except when someone break his nose
Old 2008-10-07, 01:58   Link #13
tbl
Affably Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Hmm... you want to try Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu. I wouldn't say he's very strong, like Tomoya or Yuuichi, but hes not a dumb idiot and is strong at times and breaks a lot of male romance protagonist cliches.
Second, he has the remarkable ability to do and say the right things nearly all the time.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2008-10-07, 05:55   Link #14
Arkuatic

I wouldn't rank Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu's protagonist along the same level of male leads as Clannad's, Suzumiya's, or Kanons though. He is a nose bleeder along the cheesy ecchiness of the show, looks geekish, and follows the common cliches of "being week the entire time and strong only as the highlight of the episodes." And i highly disagree that he breaks any male romance cliches; there are a tons of animes w/ leads like him i.e. Maburaho, To Love Ru, and Rosario to Vampire.

Also School days, though it is a very popular anime, the protagonist is VERY indecisive, weak, perverted, and fails to realize feelings of others(unlike protags of clannad, kanon, and Suzu). You'll see alot of the disgusting traits of male leads in School days not after the first 3 episodes(the first 3 throws you off to what he becomes).

I'll Recommend
Air Tv/movie/In summer-Movie pretty much summarizes the series but both are great to watch. The mood and such are very similar to clannad/kanon drama wise as well as the main protag earning his right to be a male lead. Though its not very much on the romance(movie has a bit more)

Ef-a tale of memories-Its a different approach to anime, as it simultaneously shows different perspectives of the different characters discovering love in each episode. The male protags are neither weak, indecisive, nor geeky and find their own paths in romance.

Elfen Lied-A bloody romance, but overall a good romance with a strong lead, and i mean really strong...mentally.

Futakoi Alternative-Very similar to clannad/kanon/suzu male lead. Basically the male lead is a detective,though he didn't want to be but ended up because of two girls(twins) who show up at his door one day...and it goes on from there. Really good story until the squid thingy...but it was still good(bonds between them) during the squid scenes

Hantsuki-the protag develops a better character after each episode(consisting of 6 so its really fast paced) after meeting a girl with a illness that shortens her life. It's obvious he falls in love but he also goes through difficulty due to the situation
Old 2008-10-07, 10:20   Link #15
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
I wouldn't rank Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu's protagonist along the same level of male leads as Clannad's, Suzumiya's, or Kanons though. He is a nose bleeder along the cheesy ecchiness of the show, looks geekish, and follows the common cliches of "being week the entire time and strong only as the highlight of the episodes." And i highly disagree that he breaks any male romance cliches; there are a tons of animes w/ leads like him i.e. Maburaho, To Love Ru, and Rosario to Vampire.
I dont think ive ever seen him nosebleed. the roles you listed (well i only read a little of to love ru and dont know about maburaho, but rosario for sure) are completely oblivious to the girls feelings and always put themselves in the worst position. Yuuto recognizes haruka's feelings and puts them first and always saids what need to be said. He also isnt afraid to make some powerful enemies if it means making haruka happy. As well most of his horrible situations are pushed on him or created by haruka. (unlike rosario's guy)
Old 2008-10-07, 11:51   Link #16
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

You should check Bokura ga ita. A really good romance / slice of life series with a charismatic although a bit problematic boyfriend xD
Old 2008-10-07, 13:14   Link #17
NightMare_Hibari Kyo
Nightmare

Akitsuki Yamato from suzuka will do nice i really like that charecter
Old 2008-10-08, 02:18   Link #18
Arkuatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I dont think ive ever seen him nosebleed. the roles you listed (well i only read a little of to love ru and dont know about maburaho, but rosario for sure) are completely oblivious to the girls feelings and always put themselves in the worst position. Yuuto recognizes haruka's feelings and puts them first and always saids what need to be said. He also isnt afraid to make some powerful enemies if it means making haruka happy. As well most of his horrible situations are pushed on him or created by haruka. (unlike rosario's guy)
If i recall he is scared but does it anyways, and i find him very similar to rosario's protag; he doesn't realize the girls feelings till the end of the episode where he mends things up by "saying the right things" which rosario does almost every episode(just different situations), rosario's protag stands up against monsters even though hes afraid(like yuuto does haruka's father), and does tsukune not consider Moka's feelings in every episode? IMO they are very similar with the sappy story and characters. Yuuto pales in comparison to Tomoya,Yuuichi, and kyon.
Old 2008-10-08, 03:06   Link #19
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Fate/Stay Night

And I second FMP

To a lesser extent, Gundam series. ..

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Old 2008-10-08, 04:15   Link #20
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Rosario + Vampire (the manga, I do not recommend the anime, its a horrible spin off)

The main character has his blood loss moments, but he's definately not a whimp. For example...

Spoiler for Minor Spoiler Image:

Some say he's indecisive but I don't think so, he's extremely considerate, but thats my view of how he is towards the lovely ladies thats after his heart.
Closed Thread