AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-11-09, 19:19   Link #1
Mr Bland
Photographers are sexy.

Xvid and h264

What exactly are they and what is the difference? Is one better than the other (ie quality or resolution?)
Mr Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 20:25   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

These are video codecs. You're probably familiar with JPEG, GIF, and PNG - the three of those are formats that pictures are compressed in. XviD, DivX, and H.264 are somewhat analogous to those formats but are used for video. Uncompressed video could easily take up a few gigabytes for a clip that is a mere 30 seconds long. The codecs are used to keep the file size low, at the expense of some quality loss.

The difference lies in the algorithm used to encode frames, among a number of complicated things that I don't know much about (frames are just the surface and are rather easy to understand, as one frame is essentially one picture). XviD is an older codec, whereas H.264 is newer. XviD's compression is a bit weaker than H.264. In general, if you wanted to get a video of the same quality encoded with XviD and another encoded with H.264, you could expect to find that the XviD-coded video has a larger filesize than the H.264-coded video. Put another way, if both files had the same file size, you would expect that the H.264-encoded video had less quality loss. H.264 uses a more intensive compression, which requires a more powerful computer to decode compared with XviD.

Resolution is not effected by the use of either. You can expect to lose less quality while keeping file sizes reasonable with H.264 when compared to XviD.
Old 2008-11-10, 04:13   Link #3
emptyeighty

Xvid and Divx are de-/encoders based on the MPEG-4 Part 2 (ASP) standard, while H.264 is the ITU-T name for the MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC) standard. AVC is newer and more advanced than ASP, therefore giving better results at the cost of slower de-/encoding.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 15:10   Link #4
neqael
World Destruction Commit.

Agreeing with the posts above. To simplify things you can assume that something encoded using XviD and the same thing encoded using h.264 but taking up half the file-size of the first one will be roughly the same quality. That was the goal at least . So, generally, if your computer is capable enough to play it smoothly, you'll always want everything in h.264. Hope that helps.
neqael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-11, 17:40   Link #5
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by neqael View Post
To simplify things you can assume that something encoded using XviD and the same thing encoded using h.264 but taking up half the file-size of the first one will be roughly the same quality.
Sometimes even better.
Old 2008-11-16, 21:53   Link #6
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Kinda hijacking the question here, but I wonder if we'll ever get to the point, in terms of storage space, when we won't need to compress video anymore.

I'm sure there will still be encoding options available to make up for the source's flaws, but still... makes me wonder.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 09:53   Link #7
martino
makes no files now

Storage probably wouldn't be a huge problem. Internet bandwidth yes.
Old 2008-11-17, 10:08   Link #8
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Kinda hijacking the question here, but I wonder if we'll ever get to the point, in terms of storage space, when we won't need to compress video anymore.

I'm sure there will still be encoding options available to make up for the source's flaws, but still... makes me wonder.
In what kind of context are you refering to?
I mean master recordings are stored either in raw formats or store in a lossless format. But for broadcasting bandwith is important, so you do want to use somekind of lossy compression to save as much bandwith you can.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 20:47   Link #9
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Not exactly the same question, but I often see when getting subs from several groups, that the h264 file is 50-100MB bigger then the avi one. After reading this thread, shouldnt it be the other way around for same quality, or at least the same file size for better quality in h264?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 21:05   Link #10
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Not exactly the same question, but I often see when getting subs from several groups, that the h264 file is 50-100MB bigger then the avi one. After reading this thread, shouldnt it be the other way around for same quality, or at least the same file size for better quality in h264?
xvid codec in an avi container, will never be as good as H264 in a matroska, unless the size of the xvid is huge...talking gigabytes

also most h264's these days, are 720p high-def , i believe you cant do that with Xvid (again...unless the file size is stupid big, never seen a 720p in xvid actually...)

h264 requires a fast pc processor...dualcore normally

basically only watch xvid if you have small harddrives and are storing your anime, your PC is crap. your montior is tiny and cant reach the required res for 720p...

all in all, you gotta be a mug to be watching XVID, unless your PC simply cant handle H264...
Old 2008-11-18, 21:16   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Nope. I'm fairly capable of decoding 720p files smoothly on an old Athlon XP 1.5 GHz. Sometimes I need to disable the loop filter with some particularly pesky encodes but most of the times I can do pretty well without that workaround.

But then again, I use a sane operating system.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 21:58   Link #12
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
basically only watch xvid if you have small harddrives and are storing your anime
Errr no? H.264 encodes will often be smaller at the same resolution.
Old 2008-11-19, 08:30   Link #13
emptyeighty

Quote:
SD H.264 happily plays on my trusty old Athlon 750MHz, which dates back to 2000. 720p and above is another matter entirely of course.
emptyeighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 11:59   Link #14
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
SD H.264 happily plays on my trusty old Athlon 750MHz, which dates back to 2000. 720p and above is another matter entirely of course.
always paused alot on my old AMD2500 (which was overclocked to 3200 for gaming purposes), well thats my experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
most h264 encodes are 1280x720 for 720p purposes...find me an anime thats in xvid and encoded at 1280x720? ive never seen one to compare

might be true if your downloading h264s at summin like 800x400 or whatever is it...but why would someone encode h264 at that
Old 2008-11-19, 12:35   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
most h264 encodes are 1280x720 for 720p purposes...find me an anime thats in xvid and encoded at 1280x720? ive never seen one to compare
Quote:
might be true if your downloading h264s at summin like 800x400 or whatever is it...but why would someone encode h264 at that
You've not been watching fansubs for long enough. Go back a year or two and that was something that you'd have seen around (although at that time most of them were upscales and blahblahblah). And people still and always will encode H.264 videos at resolutions other than 1280x720. H.264 is not a format _only_ for HD encodes or w/e you wanna call them.
Old 2008-11-19, 15:33   Link #16
Sides

Quote:
Fire up share, winny or perfect dark. Most 1280x720 files are encoded in divx, ok not xvid, but still mpeg4 (A)SP. Some people actually share both types, x264 and divx, so if you want you can get both types from the same provider and compare it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 19:26   Link #17
Sci-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
You could apply the same problems on older computers for 1280x720 xvid/divx files.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 19:45   Link #18
Sci-Fi

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. There's one anime that everybody is using the 'exact' same ts source to make the HD version (720p/1280x720) and the xvid version is the smaller file size. Which one (the various mkv encodes, mp4, and xvid) is closest to the original source is a matter of opinion and people may like one encoder group over another.

Last edited by Sci-Fi; 2008-11-19 at 21:28.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-19, 21:39   Link #19
Craymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi View Post
That's not necessarily true. There's one anime that everybody is using the 'exact' same ts source to make the HD version (720p/1280x720) and the xvid version is the smaller file size. Which one (the various mkv encodes, mp4, and xvid) is closest to the original source is a matter of opinion and people may like one encoder group over another.
Actually, at the same resolution h.264 encodes can be higher quality with a smaller file size then xvid encodes. What size the files are however is always up to the encoder.
Old 2008-11-19, 22:00   Link #20
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi View Post
You misunderstood my post.

Quote: