Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2004-02-16, 12:24   Link #1
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Beck Manga

Has anyone read this splendid manga available at MangaScreeners ? It hasn't been discussed before on the board, and since 2 new volumes were out recently I thought it would make a good occasion to start.

I personnally really like this serie as it's the first I've read in this genre (music, band... Bremen doesn't really count ) and I think it's quite well done focusing on various aspects of the band and thus keeping the reader interested.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-16, 17:11   Link #2
eLstar
(^_^)v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
Has anyone read this splendid manga available at MangaScreeners ? It hasn't been discussed before on the board, and since 2 new volumes were out recently I thought it would make a good occasion to start.

I personnally really like this serie as it's the first I've read in this genre (music, band... Bremen doesn't really count ) and I think it's quite well done focusing on various aspects of the band and thus keeping the reader interested.
Finally! A fellow Beck fan!

Yes I love this series too. It seems somewhat reallistic as the band goes through so many hardships and despite having 17 volumes out they've only just begun scratching the surface of their fame. Bremen is good too but it focuses a lot on fighting and a lot less on actual music.
eLstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 03:29   Link #3
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

As you said, Bremen isn't a music manga... it's a manga about some guys that have a band. That doesn't mean it's no good, but it shouldn't even be compared to Beck, which is a true music manga. That said, Beck's AWESOME. No one I have ever forced to read it has not liked it, and that includes people that don't read "comics" (I had to explain that you read it right to left for 3 of them... and these are my friends... well, at least I don't live in the anime cirlces, right? >_>;; ). God, I can't say enough good things about Beck. Nor can I find anything wrong with it except for the occasional incorrect positions used when they're playing, and that doesn't matter at all.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-18, 08:05   Link #4
Baba
Grouky Freak

Really, it warms my heart to see other people (few as they are) comenting positively on Beck. I myself really like the serie and it's somehow comforting to see that this opinion is shared by some other people (I know you can always find some, but in the case of Snoopy at least, I know his tastes aren't too bad from what he subs, thx for the subs by the way ).
I have this feeling that Beck is one of these few manga that really focuses on it's charachters and their relations to the world they live in and manages to give a "realistic" impression of people actually having a life. There aren't too many of these type of manga that I know (Monster, Hikaru no Go, Early Berserk, Eden...) and more is a pity since I would really like to see a good Fantasy manga crafted in this genre.
Old 2004-02-22, 22:14   Link #5
eLstar
(^_^)v

I find that the charm in Beck is the growth in character as you have said but especially Koyuki. It's amazing to see how he starts off as nothing and moving on to somethign so great,
Old 2004-07-06, 16:54   Link #6
eLstar
(^_^)v

Sorry for the bump but according to MangaScreener, Beck is going to be an Anime for the fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaScreener
Happy Beck Anime Adaptation Day
Kodansha announces in the August issue of Monthly Shonen Magazine that Beck is going to be adapted for a TV anime. Discuss in the forums.

CURRENT DETAILS
Director: Osamu Kobayashi (Gadguard, Blue Submarine No. 6)
Character Design: Motonobu Hori (Metropolis, Spirited Away)
Animation: Madhouse Studio (Monster, Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers)
Length: 26 episodes
Scheduled for: Fall 2004
Old 2004-07-06, 23:21   Link #7
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I'm not all that sure how to respond... I love the manga, but... I just don't know how I feel about actually hearing Beck. Part of the mystic is that Beck is an incredibly good live performance band, and, like... if they don't get the right band to play the Beck music, then it'll just ruin the entire experience for me. I kind of like hearing them play the ideal music in my head as opposed to a solid concrete song. But iof they can manage to pull it off, I'll love it.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 00:57   Link #8
stpehen
kisses for all

I have mixed feelings right now. I'm happy that Beck will reach a wider audience, and I'm afraid that they might be turned off if it's a terrible anime. They've already got their work cut out for them, as all the readers are going to have extremely high expectations that will likely never be met. On the other hand, the director has directed films from Studio 4C before, which pretty much automatically makes him a Visionary Bad Ass, and while Madhouse can put together some jaw-dropping animation (I'm thinking Jubei-Chan 2) they've also skimped on the budget for some of their others (Monster in particular has nice stills but minimal animation).

All in all, it's a wait-and-see.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-07, 10:41   Link #9
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I have mixed feelings right now. I'm happy that Beck will reach a wider audience, and I'm afraid that they might be turned off if it's a terrible anime. They've already got their work cut out for them, as all the readers are going to have extremely high expectations that will likely never be met. On the other hand, the director has directed films from Studio 4C before, which pretty much automatically makes him a Visionary Bad Ass, and while Madhouse can put together some jaw-dropping animation (I'm thinking Jubei-Chan 2) they've also skimped on the budget for some of their others (Monster in particular has nice stills but minimal animation).

All in all, it's a wait-and-see.
I agree.
I'm very happy that they finally decided to produce a Beck anime. It has always been a dream to listen to songs like Tabasco, Human Fly and Sister. However, I'm a bit insecure if they'll produce an anime at least half as good as the manga.

Who else here thinks it would be perfect if they hired JPop/JRock people to do the characters voices? It would be perfect having Tetsu playing Taira-kun's voice and bass (he's by far the best bassist I've ever heard in a japanese band). Also, the musics would be "more real" this way - it would be just like a "real" Beck.

... we just have to thank God Gonzo isn't involved in the project.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 19:21   Link #10
Spyre
"Soon"

I love Beck. One of my favorite manga. I've been following it for ages, since back in the day when MS still hosted pictures on their website :P

That said... My opinion of actually hearing their songs in an anime is that it will suck. All I can think of happening is that they'll sign some medium-popularity j-rock group. Then they'll have the time of their life making all these insanely amazing Beck songs real. Then when they produce songs that are mearly OK the entire anime will loose its immersion. You'll see a crowd of people going "wtf that kid's voice rocks" but can anyone actually think of that happening with a real song? I listen to a lot of music, and I can tell you I have never once thought "holy shit this guy's voice is amazing" for a rock group.

I know I should give it a chance first, but I know that unless they hire like Pavarotti to voice Koyuki I probably won't enjoy it. Seeing everyone say "wow this kid is amazing" and me not thinking the same thing will ruin the immersion that the manga gives me.
Spyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-09, 21:12   Link #11
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Who else here thinks it would be perfect if they hired JPop/JRock people to do the characters voices? It would be perfect having Tetsu playing Taira-kun's voice and bass (he's by far the best bassist I've ever heard in a japanese band). Also, the musics would be "more real" this way - it would be just like a "real" Beck.
The problem with this idea is that in real life, these J-pop/J-rock stars are the people that correspond to the "enemy" in Beck, the Eijis and Yoshitos. If they actually cast rock stars to play the parts of kids who are fighting their hardest to compete with soulless, manufactured major-label bands, it would be a hideous perversion of what the manga actually stands for. That's another hurdle that this anime has to overcome. One of the big messages the manga tries to convey is that the music industry is extremely shallow and profit-oriented (an opinion that most people arrive at on their own), but how will the production team/company stay true to this while creating a show that will surely be made with the assistance of the very industry it's supposed to be criticizing?
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 00:21   Link #12
Baba
Grouky Freak

Well, I'm kind of worried too, as everyone said, part of what makes Beck so good is that you never actually hear the music, and can only judge it's quality according to the reactions depicted in the manga. The problem is that however gifted the band they chose to play Beck's music it'll probably still fall short of the effort, and I'm not even talking about the Dying Breed, as the band is supposed to be comparable at least to mythic rock bands like Nirvana for instance..... All that said, I'm still very curious to see how the anime will turn out.

Back to talking about the manga, I recently got a bit interested in rock music history, and I must say that the more I learn, and the more I'm amazed at how realistic the story depicted in beck is.
Old 2004-09-21, 07:07   Link #13
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I'm happy that Beck will reach a wider audience, and I'm afraid that they might be turned off if it's a terrible anime.
Well, Beck is published in France and announced for December 2004 in Germany (and both publishers want to include background information as bonus pages ^___^)
That's why I think Beck already reached a big audience and it's imho very likely it gets licensed in the States too (especially if Beck gets popular in France and Germany).

Btw, I'm quite worried about the Beck anime too - the Tribute CD is far from catching the atmosphere in Beck (imho) and I just can't imagine the anime would be better.
Edit: Hm, it seems Anime-Empire does the fansubs ^^
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:11   Link #14
Kotonoha
Alone in the Dark

After hearing to some songs from Beat Crusaders (e.g. on the Captain Hedgehog album) I strongly hope that they won't sing in English! But in light of the fact that the title song of "Beck" is titled "HIT IN THE USA" (an omen?) I'm prepared for the worst. ^^;;
Kotonoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 06:51   Link #15
Rion
Ramune~

Ugh. Thank you for the warning...
(I considered "Mongorian Chop Squad" on the official website as a bad omen *hrr hrr*)
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-22, 18:06   Link #16
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
this caught my eye, i think i might watch the first ep of anime to decide.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 02:45   Link #17
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

This thing is excellent. Watched the first episode of the anime recently, went to look for the manga ... and now I need my Beck fix! Finished reading the 19 volumes in 3 days at the expense of precious sleep (even woke up early before work just to read the darn thing ). Seriously this manga is addictive, and I understand now why some manga readers were apprehensive about how the music would be portrayed in the anime. Just can't imagine anime Koyuki's singing voice and the Beck songs living up to the high expectations fans must have built up from the manga - of course, I wouldn't mind at all if I were made to eat my words!
Can't wait for Volume 20 (or its equivalent) of the manga to be released ^^ (don't suppose it has been even in Japan?)
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:19   Link #18
Yoska
フランキー

Volume 20 is already out in Japan.

Here's the cover http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...271640-8398619
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-22, 05:48   Link #19
s'my
watashi wa chiisaikeredo

Thanks! Shall now (try to patiently) wait for it to come out in my local bookstore!
s'my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 13:28   Link #20
chison
GSNMaSter
*Artist

Red face

not really think lt is cool or something that i liked...
chison is offline   Reply With Quote