AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-23, 04:12   Link #1
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Need MAJOR help. Must be funny.

I've been watching anime since '96, but this is the first time that I'm experiencing this:

I have no idea on what to watch...!

I've watched [and liked]

Minami-ke
Haruhi
Canvas2
FLCL
Evangelion
Honey and Clover
Nodame Cantabile
The "holy trinity" of Key+Kyoani [KANON, AIR and CLANNAD]

As you can see, I don't always like what I watch.

Dropped
Any Sunrise series I touched
Canvas (1st season OVA)
Shuffle!
Ouran High School Host Club
KGNE
Shana (season II)

What I want is something light this season, as my job is rather busy. I don't mind it being a little old, but not before 2006. Ecchi is OK, but not explicit sex. Example being the end of Canvas. Also, it should be not more than one-cour, reason being that I'm also keeping tabs on CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ and Minami-ke Okaeri. So don't recommend those two.

Also, what do you people think of Rosario + Vampire? I might want to try it too...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya; 2008-12-23 at 05:49.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:27   Link #2
blewin

Have you seen Nodame Cantabile? it's very similar to Honey and Clover.

some other funny series:

Hayate the combat butler - about a debt-ridden butler and his daily interactions with the girl of the mansion and everyone else in the school.

Katekyo hitman REBORN! - random fun in the daily arc about a mafia-boss candidate and his group of friends (and mafia related people that he wishes they could just disappear).

Yakitate Japan - hilarious bread making series.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:42   Link #3
jedinat

Rosario+Vampire is trash. Avoid or read the slightly better manga original.

2006+ is a bit limiting... are those you've listed all you've seen? Kind of a short and strange list given your self-introduction.
Anways, you might check out these two recent comedies: Detroit Metal City & Skip Beat!
The first is off-beat, vulgar, and hilarious; the latter is a surprisingly entertaining adaption of the manga.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:48   Link #4
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Nodame Cantabile? Oops. Forgot.

Yakitate Japan... will look up.

Rosario+Vampire is trash? Because you personally hate it or...?

Quote:
2006+ is a bit limiting... are those you've listed all you've seen? Kind of a short and strange list given your self-introduction.
I have problems recalling, especially since I took a break between '98 and '04.
Old 2008-12-23, 05:55   Link #5
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Rosario+Vampire is trash? Because you personally hate it or...?
I like to think that my opinions are definitive. In this case, regardless, I think it's fairly safe to say anyone who thinks Rosario+Vampire is a good anime does so simply because they do not know any better. (let us give them the benefit of the doubt and not attribute it to a weak mind)
Old 2008-12-23, 12:25   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

Most of the anime on your "like" list, I also like. Funny thing is that you dropped all the Sunrise anime, which I like even more. In that case, I think I know what you like..

Hyakko: A shoujo comedy feature 4 female main characters who have fun at a very huge school. The protagonist Torako is known for being mischievous at times though.

School Rumble ni Gakki: This one is pretty funny, though I dropped it after the first episode of the first season but that one had 2 awards.

Seto no Hanayome: Kinda like Rosario + Vampire in aspects of comedy relief and also having many insert songs.

Special A: A class of intelligent boys and girls who get the admiration of every other classes, kinda like the Night Class of Vampire Knight, except.. Both number 1 (male) and number 2 (female) like to make selfish competitions utilizing the time of other classes to show that one is better than the other.

The Law of Ueki: From Studio DEEN comes a shounen-type comedy.

To Love Ru: This one is kinda like Rosario + Vampire in the aspect of ecchi-ness and kinda like Seto no Hanayome in the aspect of parody-styled comedy.

Tower of Druaga: This is a comedy based on the old NES game. It does feature ecchi elements though, unlike the other 3.

And look forward to Munto TV, a new 2009 anime from Kyoto Animation!
Old 2008-12-24, 08:45   Link #7
Ottocycle

Before 2006 = old in your books? Wow.

Anyway, you need yourself some Kannagi. No questions asked. It fits the criteria so well it's not funny.
Old 2008-12-24, 19:29   Link #8
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

I have a similar taste to yours, I love kyoani and I dislike or am not crazy about your dislikes. I was in a similar rut like you awhile ago. I haven't really found anything to watch for about half a year or so besides After Story. I started watching Toradora though and this ones' a winner IMO. Hilarious with a touch of sentimentality so far, it shares the same animation style as Okawari, which you might like.

If you like Minami-Ke you might check out Ichigo Mashimaro and Lucky Star. They both feature casts of all school girls and are both pure comedies with a lot of cuteness.

Also I would say that you're missing out on a lot of stuff if you exclude things before 2006... Chobits is a hilarious romantic comedy, and it's animation style doesn't have that out of date look, at least I don't think. Azumanga Daioh is a bit older, but it's rare to find something as funny as it. I only think that Minami-ke and possibly Toradora is as funny as AzuDa.

Edit: Oh, probably what made Toradora likable for me, since I was on the fence for awhile after reading the plot... was that the male protagonist seems to have his head on straight, he isn't depressed or seem to be lost in thought all the time, he doesn't have any really annoying quirks or things that may seem like they'll get on MY nerves, at least. Seems like he's someone capable of moving the plot along. Basically I think he is a likable protagonist like the ones from the "holy trinity"...

Last edited by Ceral; 2008-12-24 at 20:02.
Old 2008-12-24, 19:30   Link #9
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

hale nochi guu, trust. seriously. all you need.
Old 2008-12-24, 21:41   Link #10
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Too bad PaniPoni Dash was before 2006 ( unless I am mistaken), but there is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei than you could try.