AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-10, 12:38   Link #221
babohtea

Can somebody please answer these questions?

How isn't Yoshii useless? Most of his classmates have an excuse for their low scores (can't read kanji, etc.), but Yoshii sure doesn't. What good is he?

Are Yoshii and Yuuji actually friends? I can't really tell -_-
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 12:47   Link #222
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
Can somebody please answer these questions?

How isn't Yoshii useless? Most of his classmates have an excuse for their low scores (can't read kanji, etc.), but Yoshii sure doesn't. What good is he?

Are Yoshii and Yuuji actually friends? I can't really tell -_-
1. Because his Summoned Beast is low tier, it can interact with the physical world. I imagine this is a good case of Chekov's gun. Meh more needs to be revealed anyway as to why he has low scores (other than being an "idiot").

2. The manga clearly labels him as his "evil best friend" so yeah they are friends in the usual half-fighting dynamic.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 13:43   Link #223
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Shin Oonuma (the director of Baka Test has worked under Akiyuki Shinbo in the past, plus he also directed an episode of Bakemonogatari, so it's not surprise.
Yeah the OP and ED, especially the ED with the background text and all, reminded me a lot of the OP and ED of Ef (which he also directed).
Old 2010-01-10, 13:55   Link #224
Clarste
Human

I'm pretty sure Yoshii's just an idiot. Remember when he was walking to his classroom and thinking that he was sure he did well, after all he must've have gotten at least 10% right... Yeah, he's that kind of idiot who doesn't even realize how stupid he is compared to everyone else.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 14:49   Link #225
babohtea

So he's only useful because he's a total idiot? Does he have noble character traits or something? Is there ANYTHING to like about him?
Old 2010-01-10, 14:50   Link #226
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post
So he's only useful because he's a total idiot? Does he have noble character traits or something? Is there ANYTHING to like about him?
Well he did stand up for Himeji when she had a fever during the test.
Old 2010-01-10, 14:55   Link #227
babohtea

He also had a major crush on the girl. Standing up for the person the hot smart girl isn't exactly something out of the ordinary.
Old 2010-01-10, 15:56   Link #228
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So am I right to say this is kind of like Yugioh only with girls and a slightly different goal instead of a dude with multi-coloured hair trying to win a card tournament. Looks like it might be up my alley if it has some actual stat crunching and rules.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 15:57   Link #229
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

In my opinion, it's hard to know a lot about a character from the first episode, especially when half of it was gags and the other half was a battle. This episode was to set up the setting and draw in interest; finding out more and empathizing with the characters should come later.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 16:02   Link #230
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So am I right to say this is kind of like Yugioh only with girls and a slightly different goal instead of a dude with multi-coloured hair trying to win a card tournament. Looks like it might be up my alley if it has some actual stat crunching and rules.
No.

The only similarity it has to Yu-gi-oh is that the characters use a summon. That's it.
Old 2010-01-10, 16:10   Link #231
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
No.

The only similarity it has to Yu-gi-oh is that the characters use a summon. That's it.
But I actually liked the card battle aspect of Yu-Gi-Oh since it actually had a cohesive structure to it beyond the second season.

Oh well even if it's everything's made up and the points don't matter as they go I think I can get a larf out of the prole F Class girl trying to struggle up the ol' social status ladder to join the bourgeois A class. Sounds about as unbalanced as Rise of The Robots tier of ever escalating and impossible battles with the gimped dude they give you to play as.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 21:27   Link #232
mechdra

I like this series so far and the jokes is fun .

Shimada Minami really resembles Hayase Mina from Sexfriend. No wonder she looks familiar when I first saw her.

I would like to thank Minatsu from Seitokai no Ichizon for introducing this series to me.

Yuuko is the best!
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 21:48   Link #233
Traece
:cool:

Hm... It wasn't bad. It wasn't bad at all.

Apparently I'm the only person on the forums that actually saw some reason to like Yoshii. It seemed to me like he was a sensible and respectable individual, and that he didn't seem to really be stupid. But then it is only the first episode so...

Normally an anime like this with an amazingly unrealistic concept like the battle system wouldn't interest me but I somehow found it to be entertaining. There is yet more to watch.
Old 2010-01-10, 22:37   Link #234
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Hm... It wasn't bad. It wasn't bad at all.

Apparently I'm the only person on the forums that actually saw some reason to like Yoshii. It seemed to me like he was a sensible and respectable individual, and that he didn't seem to really be stupid. But then it is only the first episode so...

Normally an anime like this with an amazingly unrealistic concept like the battle system wouldn't interest me but I somehow found it to be entertaining. There is yet more to watch.
Stupid in some ways, not so much in others. As far as I know, the series doesn't delve much into personal histories, which makes me sad. That's part of why I liked Hayate no Gotoku.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 22:55   Link #235
tsunade666

yoshii is stupid and so is yuuji if you ask me and together they are idiot duo. no matter what cool front they show it will still end up with a deadly comedic scene. I can't keep saving my lungs every time I laugh.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 22:59   Link #236
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Stupid in some ways, not so much in others. As far as I know, the series doesn't delve much into personal histories, which makes me sad. That's part of why I liked Hayate no Gotoku.
This means it probably won't fall into useless badly-written angst too much. Good.

I loved this first episode, by the way. Strongest start of any of the shows this season.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 23:04   Link #237
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
But I actually liked the card battle aspect of Yu-Gi-Oh since it actually had a cohesive structure to it beyond the second season.
Better playing the game than watching the anime. Way much better .

Btw, I don't think we will have a deep battle system, because I believe that's not the main thing in this show. Mostly it's character interaction and the jokes.
Old 2010-01-10, 23:14   Link #238
mechdra

Yoshi is just pure stupid and Yuuji have an intelligent of an elementry student. However, all of them is strong in their own way.

For those who are interested, volume 1 is translated in baka tsuki. Beware of spoilers!
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-10, 23:35   Link #239
ac3y

I can't stop thinking how implementing such a system would dramatically increase motivation to study.
Okay, it probably wouldn't work that well, but I'd have to do some more serious thinking to winnow out exactly why.
At a glance though, making studying fun and giving a short-term payoff (whipping rival classes in exam summoning wars) rather than a vague long-term payoff (go to university yay) might work better for secondary students.
Old 2010-01-10, 23:38   Link #240
Clarste
Human

It gives them a reason to get good grades, but it doesn't help them study. Quite the opposite in fact. By deliberately punishing the weaker students, they get a lower quality education and fall even further behind. It's unlikely we'd see the kind of turn-around they portrayed in the anime very often, since the system is self-reinforcing. The bad students will stay bad, and the average students will stay average. It's possible that the students on top will benefit though, since a disproportionate amount of funding is spent on them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, fantasy, light novel adaptation, romance, shounen