AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-03-31, 15:24   Link #1101
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Is it just me, or are the recent episodes just tear-jerking? The loneliness of Natsu, the story of Lucy, Fairy Tail's destruction at the hands of Phantom, and now, revealing the death of Lisanna. And I thought Fairy Tail was a feel-good anime at the start (got deceived by the Gray and Ur flashback episode too; that, I have to say, made me shed tears)

Seriously though, the way it was portrayed, TakeOver!Elfman appeared to be stopped by Lisanna's words and will gradually return back to normal. The smile on Lisanna's face enforced that fact, and when the final impact came it was so darn shocking. Even I, who read the character descriptions ahead on wiki and knew Lisanna sacrificed herself to revert Elfman, was stunned by how that came about.

It's a wonder Elfman managed to live on with that guilt in his heart. It must have been devastating for him.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:09   Link #1102
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Is it just me, or are the recent episodes just tear-jerking? The loneliness of Natsu, the story of Lucy, Fairy Tail's destruction at the hands of Phantom, and now, revealing the death of Lisanna. And I thought Fairy Tail was a feel-good anime at the start (got deceived by the Gray and Ur flashback episode too; that, I have to say, made me shed tears)

Seriously though, the way it was portrayed, TakeOver!Elfman appeared to be stopped by Lisanna's words and will gradually return back to normal. The smile on Lisanna's face enforced that fact, and when the final impact came it was so darn shocking. Even I, who read the character descriptions ahead on wiki and knew Lisanna sacrificed herself to revert Elfman, was stunned by how that came about.

It's a wonder Elfman managed to live on with that guilt in his heart. It must have been devastating for him.
Well it seems there is plenty of tragedy behind some members of Fairy Tail. Goes to show no matter what they are showing now something has shaped them to this point. Since it is a series about the guild it's not a huge shock that they would be delving into the members along with showing situations that they are getting themselves into. Regardless flashbacks are dangerous with this show. First Ul and now Lisanna. Who knew at the start that good characters were already dead? They've done a good job making you care about these flashback introduced characters.

I really wonder with what happened to Elfman. Seems like either Lisanna was making a little progress or it was simply the horror of killing his sister that snapped Elfman back. It certainly was horrifying for Mira to watch. Still with that kind expression on her face right before....Damn it's no wonder both siblings were messed up by this. Responded to it in different ways, but you can see the impact. The situation with Mira makes me wonder. Was she simply trying to take up Lisanna's role in her change of attitude? Or was it more just being unable to go back into a fight after seeing that? Maybe a combination of both.
Old 2010-04-01, 06:05   Link #1103
blewin

Quote:

More tear-jerking episodes to more.....

I agree about that scene with Lisanna. It really was well done. Poor Elfman, to have to live with a sibling's death in his heart. No wonder he could't properly perform a take over. Mira's change is drastic too, to the point that it reduced from a S-class mage to a barmaid!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 07:07   Link #1104
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:

I wonder did Natsu blame Elfman for it at all? I'm glad he isn't carrying a grudge as Elfman has enough of a burden to carry as it is!
Old 2010-04-01, 11:55   Link #1105
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
More tear-jerking episodes to more.....

I agree about that scene with Lisanna. It really was well done. Poor Elfman, to have to live with a sibling's death in his heart. No wonder he could't properly perform a take over. Mira's change is drastic too, to the point that it reduced from a S-class mage to a barmaid!
Next week no tears .. just straight up raining <3~

Finally managed to watched this episode .. And somebody should send this episode to bleach and naruto's producer .. THIS is how you add filler content! Well, Naruto's group did actually delivers on Shika emo episode back then ... but I cant think of any bleach filler that is actually this good.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 13:25   Link #1106
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Next week no tears .. just straight up raining <3~
Oh yes! <33333333333
Old 2010-04-01, 19:59   Link #1107
FreezeTheSun

Just in case anyone missed the info. on new info. about the op. and ed.

24. "So No One Sees the Tears" March 29, 2010
25. "A Flower Blooms in the Rain" April 5, 2010
26. "Wings of Fire" April 12, 2010
27. "The Two Dragon Slayers" April 19, 2010

Opening 3: "ft." by FUNKIST
Ending 3: "Gomen ne. Watashi" by Shiho Nanba

Pretty good episode. Animation is getting a bit better. Kinda surprised that they would show how Lisana was killed, since it is for little kids. I guess that what Hiro wanted. Will post animation directors for the upcoming episodes as soon as they come out.
FreezeTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 22:40   Link #1108
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well it seems there is plenty of tragedy behind some members of Fairy Tail. Goes to show no matter what they are showing now something has shaped them to this point. Since it is a series about the guild it's not a huge shock that they would be delving into the members along with showing situations that they are getting themselves into. Regardless flashbacks are dangerous with this show. First Ul and now Lisanna. Who knew at the start that good characters were already dead? They've done a good job making you care about these flashback introduced characters.
I think it's safe to conclude now that it's a rule in Fairy Tail flashbacks will usually end in disaster. Mira's story of Lisanna and Natsu raising Happy together was such a trap; full of happiness and sweetness, with Mira withholding the rest of the story. Then all of a sudden, Lisanna gets killed by Elfman with his own hands, something that none of us are expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post

Everyone talks about Mira's drastic change, but what about Elfman? His kind soul as seen in the flashbacks changed tremendously to the 'Men' talker we are used to. Even Lucy was surprised at the amount of change he went through. He probably hides everything behind his tough demeanor to avoid having to face the truth.

Mira's change is a bit more inexplicable. How can an S-class Mage suddenly transform into a barmaid, and one that has a completely different character than before? She even models for magazines, something unexpected going by her previous character. So like FlareKnight said, she may be trying to replace the loss of Lisanna by taking on her character. I'm surprised no one in Fairy Tail objected to that though. As for her magic, I think it got sapped by her shock of the death, an emotional block rather than a physical block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I wonder did Natsu blame Elfman for it at all? I'm glad he isn't carrying a grudge as Elfman has enough of a burden to carry as it is!
They haven't shown anything about Natsu's reaction, but from the way he can joke around Elfman and interact with him, probably not. I certainly HOPE not, because Natsu can be very violent about the things that matter dearly to him (Rescuing a fellow guild member to prevent his son from becoming an orphan, saving Lucy, challenging people to fights for Happy's egg). It'll be very bad for Elfman if he had to endure Natsu's punches at Lisanna's funeral, though the others will likely hold Natsu back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeTheSun View Post
Just in case anyone missed the info. on new info. about the op. and ed.

Opening 3: "ft." by FUNKIST
Ending 3: "Gomen ne. Watashi" by Shiho Nanba
New OP and ED again? If there's one gripe I have about this show, it's the OP and ED. Never really impressed me much in terms of its connection to the show.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 22:47   Link #1109
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Since when do OP and ED had to do with anything to the story? Oh btw, the current ending is sort of spoiler anyway if you already read the manga.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-04-02, 03:39   Link #1110
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Man, Elfman is pulling a Chad Yasutora all of a sudden. Very good episode and just didn't see it coming even from all the hints.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 16:45   Link #1111
OkamiNoKaze

Episode 24 was quite a powerful and sad episode.
Old 2010-04-04, 20:51   Link #1112
Krono

Quote:
Well, Mashima has said in an interview that he was planning on being somewhat happier with Fairy Tail, in contrast with Rave which had gotten "A little sentimental, a little sad" near the end.

That being said, a lot of people seem to have either missed, or disregarded Mirajane's comment on how all of the people at Fairy Tail had something or another weighing on them.

Quote:
Everyone talks about Mira's drastic change, but what about Elfman? His kind soul as seen in the flashbacks changed tremendously to the 'Men' talker we are used to. Even Lucy was surprised at the amount of change he went through. He probably hides everything behind his tough demeanor to avoid having to face the truth.

Mira's change is a bit more inexplicable. How can an S-class Mage suddenly transform into a barmaid, and one that has a completely different character than before? She even models for magazines, something unexpected going by her previous character. So like FlareKnight said, she may be trying to replace the loss of Lisanna by taking on her character. I'm surprised no one in Fairy Tail objected to that though. As for her magic, I think it got sapped by her shock of the death, an emotional block rather than a physical block.
Well, for Elfman, some talk of what men should be like was there, though it was pretty confined to feeling as though a brother should be able to protect his sisters.

For Mirajane the barmaid and magazine shoots make some sense. If you can no longer bring yourself to fight, you've still got to earn a living somehow. The change in personality is less well explained.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 22:03   Link #1113
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
I think it's safe to conclude now that it's a rule in Fairy Tail flashbacks will usually end in disaster. Mira's story of Lisanna and Natsu raising Happy together was such a trap; full of happiness and sweetness, with Mira withholding the rest of the story. Then all of a sudden, Lisanna gets killed by Elfman with his own hands, something that none of us are expecting
Yeah I think that's a safe conclusion. From now on we should be prepared for the tragedy whenever a flashback happens.

Quote:

I kind of overlooked Elfman's change myself. Though he did bring up the men thing before this happened. I think this event just pushed him even further into that direction. Taking his previous mindset to the extreme. But definitely in response to the tragedy he internally refused to let Mira cry again and that he would get stronger. So strong that he would never allow such a thing to ever happen again.

Mira's change still hits me as the most shocking. Her character really changed into a completely different direction. Maybe no one knows how to approach Mira on this subject. They all knew Lisanna so they can understand partly the extent of Mira's grief and guilt. But still it can't be healthy to possibly take on your sister's persona and in a sense kill off the person you used to be. She really can't stay in that spot forever and will have to move forward again. Maybe the guild members just decided to let Mira handle this at her own pace and not force her.
Old 2010-04-05, 01:28   Link #1114
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah I think that's a safe conclusion. From now on we should be prepared for the tragedy whenever a flashback happens.

I kind of overlooked Elfman's change myself. Though he did bring up the men thing before this happened. I think this event just pushed him even further into that direction. Taking his previous mindset to the extreme. But definitely in response to the tragedy he internally refused to let Mira cry again and that he would get stronger. So strong that he would never allow such a thing to ever happen again.
me too... I guess it's just so natural to see him fulfill "I'm a man" ideal by using a full body beast overtake that I missed the subtle character change that he had undergone since Lisana's death.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 03:31   Link #1115
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

No episode this week makes me . I want to see my darling in action.
Old 2010-04-05, 05:22   Link #1116
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I want to see my darling in action.
I want to see more Happy too
Old 2010-04-05, 05:28   Link #1117
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Screw Happy.. I want my ame onna!

>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-04-05, 05:30   Link #1118
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Screw Happy.. I want my ame onna!

Deep breath you'll get teru teru bozu soon!
Old 2010-04-06, 10:15   Link #1119
Crisis
Rock on ^^

EP 24 comment >

I didnt find Lisanna's death shocking at all!

One swoosh from elfman and she's dead. If it was something like .. Elfman suddenly grew claws on his hand and piereces Lisann's body in rage and the blood dripping down while we see Mira Jane's look of horror on her face.... now that would make me cry.
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 11:07   Link #1120
Kankel
Akuma HighClass Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
EP 24 comment >

I didnt find Lisanna's death shocking at all!

One swoosh from elfman and she's dead. If it was something like .. Elfman suddenly grew claws on his hand and piereces Lisann's body in rage and the blood dripping down while we see Mira Jane's look of horror on her face.... now that would make me cry.
Your description of events is too graphic for this series.This isn't Berserk.
Fairy Tail's targeted demographic is too young to stomach that kind of violence.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen