Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-08, 04:21   Link #1
Satomi87
Banned

Anime that don't deserve nostalgia

I know this is a very negative thread but try to be optimistic on this one. before we move to the main topic, let's take a look on some very nostalgic old shows. Mobile Suit Gundam were remembered because it was the first show that give birth to real robot genre. People even make a life-size statue out of RX-78. People also remembered Mazinger Z which gave rise to super robot shows and Candy Candy to shoujo genre. I also have strong feeling that people may still taking about Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell someday in the future.

Now back to our topic. Some shows may be forgotten someday and they deserved it. They are never great in first place. I want to show you the good reasons why they should be forgotten and don't deserve honorable mentions in the future.

1. Some weird shows that only appeal people who had strange fetishes like School Days and Higurashi series.

No offense to fans, which is quite lot in this place but these shows better to left forgotten rather than being subject of history. Imagine what kids in the future will ask you "Daddy/Mommy, why young people in the past were so violent and like to kill people? Why the old cartoon shows encourage such behavior?". They also aimed to very little group of people, even in today's standard. Claiming these shows as "best ever made" is same as you try to polish the excrement.

2. Those otaku-related shows like Lucky Star, Haruhi, K-On and such.

Again, these are shows that have few people following them. Popular? Yes but in long term? No. These shows were made only to milk the otakus and not larger audiences. I don;t think these kind of people exist in the future. Even if they do, they probably aimed themselves for newer ones and certainly not these shows.

3. Those never-ending shounen shows like One Piece, Bleach, Naruto and Hitman Reborn.

Perhaps their only (dis)honorable mention for them is their length.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:35   Link #2
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

People will remember what people want, views of others be damned. Nostalgia for shows will always exist whether you like it or not.

naruto is hardly a shining work of art but it's going to be remembered alright.

That said, a large number of guro shows certainly don't deserve any honorable mentions.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:48   Link #3
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
"Don't deserve nostalgia" is subjective. It will be based on an individual's opinions.

The majority may like series like Dragonball Z, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, but others may dislike them and argue that they are "overrated". Who's right? No one is.

Individual people will remember two types of animes:

1. The really mainstream ones that got shoved down your throat due to media attention/fanboys (and girls) regardless of you liking it or not. e.g. The above, Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Code Geass, Haruhi.

2. Their personal favourites.

EDIT: Make it three actually. The third type will be series people hate to bits on a personal level.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:52   Link #4
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Another "bitch about otaku tastes" thread?

Anyway, seeing as I'm a fan of three of the shows mentioned - Higurashi, Haruhi, and K-On, I'll just say my bit:

a) Higurashi is not just a mindless violence flick. The plot, however, isn't exactly easy to follow due to the storytelling method employed. Later When the Cry verse series (the Higurashi sequels and Umineko) are better in this regard.

2) A certain number of moe shows are going to be remembered. Lucky Star hasn't aged well for me but I don't have a problem with the other two KyoAni properties making the list.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:54   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The very basis for the thread (the OP post) is made up of a set of unsupported assertions. Several series were mentioned that were popular enough to rate being licensed for Region 1 distribution and sold well. Please cite some references to justify these assertions? There were also a number thinly veiled insults (e.g. "strange fetishes" for a horror series like Higurashi?). I didn't care for the series myself but I'm just not particularly a horror fan.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:58   Link #6
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Another "bitch about otaku tastes" thread?

Anyway, seeing as I'm a fan of three of the shows mentioned - Higurashi, Haruhi, and K-On, I'll just say my bit:

a) Higurashi is not just a mindless violence flick. The plot, however, isn't exactly easy to follow due to the storytelling method employed. Later When the Cry verse series (the Higurashi sequels and Umineko) are better in this regard.

2) A certain number of moe shows are going to be remembered. Lucky Star hasn't aged well for me but I don't have a problem with the other two KyoAni properties making the list.
This is what I mean by subjective. One person may like Higurashi, Haruhi, K-on and Lucky Star, another person may not. If you ask me personally, I disliked the first season of Higurashi, loved the 2nd season, Haruhi was ok, K-on was garbage, and Lucky Star was good because of its parodies. My opinions make me no more right than yours however.

In the end I will remember all of these series for the following reasons:
Higurashi - 2nd season was gold.
Haruhi - shoved down my throat because of its popularity.
K-on - same as above + I hated it
Lucky Star - same as Haruhi.

However, I'm not going to say that none of these deserve "nostalgia" if I were to use an objective, majority approach, because in the majority's eyes, these were all good anime.
Old 2009-11-08, 04:59   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satomi87 View Post
3. Those never-ending shounen shows like One Piece, Bleach, Naruto and Hitman Reborn.

Perhaps their only (dis)honorable mention for them is their length.
Well you can't really have nostalgia for something that's still continuing can you?
Old 2009-11-08, 05:09   Link #8
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This topic might be too hot to handle. It has all the ammunition and name-keeps to alienate and divide fans of anime over the concept of tastes and preference which are always subjective. Thread closed.
Closed Thread