AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-11-17, 00:32   Link #21
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Well, I'm awful with names (people's names, street names, names of anything), so I really don't remember names until probably the 16th episode of a series unless it's a really awesome / terrible name. Yes, that means that I typically don't know anyone's name if the series is less than ten episodes. For example, I just finished watching "Freedom" yesterday. Think I know the names of any of the main characters? Nope. I also just finished watching "08th MS Team" for like the forth time, and tomorrow I won't know any of the main character's names anymore.

Same goes with movies. I never know what the name of any characters are after the movie is done.

I'm completely awesome with faces and visual data, though, so I always know and recognize people instantly (in movies and RL) even if I don't know their name. In fact, I take a weird sort of pride in being able to recognize any movie (which I've previously seen, of course) within five seconds, regardless of what scene it is.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 00:57   Link #22
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, naturally I typo'd it (transposition of phoneme)... and I do know Japanese fairly well, but it doesn't save one from a typo.
Back in 2006, I had trouble even spelling the full title of Haruhi's show properly. Needless to say, finding it got pretty hard. Yea I suck at spelling. Thankfully, Firefox got spell check.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 01:22   Link #23
brocko

Shows with long difficult titles are definitely a pain to remember at first. (ie: Utawarerumono, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Shakugan no Shana, etc), so thank god for abbreviations and short-hand names But they do eventually get easier overtime, especially if it starts to become more commonplace.

Names aren't so much as important imo. As long as you're able to differentiate and identify the characters from each other, names shouldn't be that big of a concern imo.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 02:21   Link #24
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Soul View Post
Apparently, most of us watch more than one Anime in the same period. How do you memorize all the names and forms of the characters and places in short time especially if there are lots of characters in one anime such as (Bleach, Naruto, One piece, Inuyasha, etc) or mystery and thriller anime like (Higurashi and Umineko) that u need to memorize the dates, habits and all minor details to solve the case.

Well, For me considering I'm watching a lot lately, I'm using a note book (a small one) to write (not all) just the main characters and the ones that I feel he/she will get something in the show .. this note book just used in the few first episodes and as soon I memorized them I leave it .. in the beginning I thought it a stupid way to use but then I discover how comfortable to have one, I keep it as a reference, if I forgot something such as a name, form, place, date, etc; I easily back to my small notes and got all the info I need.

What about you?
I think it's a good idea! I wish I could do it but I'm too lazy. Even for shows I care about I end up forgetting the details as time passes, Japanese names, English names, doesn't matter. It would definitely help with long running shows though, especially since I watch in batches with very long gaps in between.

And wikipedia is not enough for plot details but episode blogs are good for this. http://randomc.animeblogger.net/ is great for Bleach. I need to find one for Naruto though. Essentially it would be nice to have a website of cliffnotes for those shows with a large mythology.. (the large range of characters, their histories, techniques, skills, how when and why acquired, plot rationale, etc).

Actually sometimes I have trouble even remembering the names of the shows themselves
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 04:47   Link #25
Uchiha Soul

Thank you for your responses

I guess most of u are lazy... I was like u, believe me it just a matter of times, and as I said b4, I don’t write all the characters names or all the details just the lead heroes and the related ones that I know they will effect the show.

I do have a sharp memory... lets say if im watching 8 – 10 animes in the same periods I will memorize the important details of all the animes after 2 or 3 episodes/each.
But recently I was so busy with my life and I simply cant stop watching anime (no matter what) and I added Bleach in my list, I was so zealous about it, so the idea of the note book came to my mind and as I said before I hated it in the beginning bcoz I was lazy like u but I forced my self at least for bleach and now I have easy references I used whenever I need. I did the same for Umineko .. I wrote down all the information that spread till now and I’ll keep it up to solve the case.

Another reason for the note (maybe the actual one) is I am a person of the type that hates to forget the information like if im watching 2nd ep of any anime I don’t like to forget any name or detail that spread in the 1st ep. I hate to say "who was that again?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If it's Bleach, for some reason I have trouble keeping everything straight. I've compiled a Word document using info from Wikipedia to keep names and zanpakutou associations straight. Same thing for Naruto, but with ninja techniques.

Exactly the same but I have only for bleach coz I started watching it recently and i didnt use wiki, i did it all by my self. For Naruto I memorized everything in my mind coz i didnt use the note at the time i started to watching it.

The note book is also useful for learning Japanese language .. I'm studying Japanese and im now in level 2 .. I watch anime in sub version but always try to hear them to reinforce my language, so any new word I hear, I write it down in the note (I keep it next to me). My sensei always ask me from where u know this word or this culture .. my answer always "Anime/Manga"

Thank u again .. keep it up
Uchiha Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 08:45   Link #26
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I think that my memory is not too bad so I dont have too much trouble remembering names, designs and details after 2-3 episodes. The most trouble I have is with characters that are terribly boring. I tend to forget their names from time to time.

Took me foreveeeer to remember Utawarerumono though I never had any problem with Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Shakugan no Shana or other long titles. Touhou gave me some trouble when I started, but now I can identify every single one (except the PC-98 ones).
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote