AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-15, 18:28   Link #641
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
I think understanding Nanoha's family, lends a great deal to understanding Nanoha, and their reactions to her. Removing them is quite a loss.
I agree completely. Part of understanding Nanoha, her personality, and her motivations was knowing her backstory with her family and how they treated her. It's understandable they got cut, but it still causes some major confusion for first time fans when trying to figure out why Nanoha is the way she is at only nine years old.
Old 2010-02-15, 19:01   Link #642
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I agree completely. Part of understanding Nanoha, her personality, and her motivations was knowing her backstory with her family and how they treated her.
Ditto.

The first four episodes of MGLN boring? I thought they were paced very well and gave an important backdrop to Nanoha's world. There is a good mixture of side characters and action in those episodes.
Old 2010-02-15, 19:32   Link #643
leodamine
Divine Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Ditto.

The first four episodes of MGLN boring? I thought they were paced very well and gave an important backdrop to Nanoha's world. There is a good mixture of side characters and action in those episodes.
Usually when shows set up for things people find them boring. So many people stopped Umineko (the game) while it was still introducing characters. >_>

The impatience these days, hmph.
Old 2010-02-15, 19:58   Link #644
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
Ditto.

Statistically speaking, and from what I've seen from some people, most people don't finish watching Nanoha based on the first three episodes or so of MSLN. Mainly because during those episodes, it comes off as extremely generic. MSLN doesn't pick up until Fate shows up in EP4 really.

Some people who recommend Nanoha suggest starting with A's, or skipping the first three or four episodes of MSLN.
Old 2010-02-15, 20:15   Link #645
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

that is a bad idea personally cause without it you could get lost in some of the back story that happens later on in the series then people are confused and start disliking the series more cause they didn't want to sit through the first what ever episodes that tell them what is happening
Old 2010-02-15, 20:17   Link #646
Blank-Mage
Maniacal laughter ensues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Statistically speaking, and from what I've seen from some people, most people don't finish watching Nanoha based on the first three episodes or so of MSLN. Mainly because during those episodes, it comes off as extremely generic. MSLN doesn't pick up until Fate shows up in EP4 really.

Some people who recommend Nanoha suggest starting with A's, or skipping the first three or four episodes of MSLN.
I agree, I only got that far because I have this ridiculous system wherein I always finish what I start. This time it payed off! Yeah, everything leading up to Fate is stupid cheerful Magical Girl fare. Throwing in child abuse, hardcore fight scenes, and interdimensional warships is what got my attention.
Old 2010-02-15, 20:23   Link #647
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

bright and flashing lights have a tendency to do that that is what gets me on alot of anime's i dont know about everyone else
Old 2010-02-15, 20:29   Link #648
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
*facepalm*

Why not just explain that the first three episodes contain background info important to the main character and suggest that you just stick with it for the best experience?

Quote:
The impatience these days, hmph.
Ditto... again.
Old 2010-02-15, 20:31   Link #649
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Quote:
*facepalm*

Why not just explain that the first three episodes contain background info important to the main character and suggest that you just stick with it for the best experience?
It's tough to convince some people? *shrug*
Plus MSLN does kind of overuse the whole transformation sequence, which turns off some viewers a lot. I mean, I like a transformation sequence too but MSLN uses it like every other episode...
Old 2010-02-15, 20:37   Link #650
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Ah, yeah... the transformations. Not having a lot of familiarity with magical girl shows, I just considered them to be part of the genre and took them in stride. I did think the effects were pretty cool and they seemed to make the MGLN transformations something a little different (better) than others I'd seen.
Old 2010-02-15, 20:40   Link #651
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I was able to put up with the transformations because I'd seen a few seasons of Sailor Moon, which is way too many transformation scenes anyone should be put through. Knowing it was only 13 episodes helped much in that regard.
Old 2010-02-15, 21:08   Link #652
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
There's only one addition Fate has that a real predator doesn't have, a small hint of compassion.
Arguable, if you consider Aliens vs Predator.
Old 2010-02-15, 21:10   Link #653
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

but not every transformation had its whole "transform cut scene" if you will it stopped around the 8th episode which is true it did help alot
Old 2010-02-15, 21:11   Link #654
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I was able to put up with the transformations because I'd seen a few seasons of Sailor Moon, which is way too many transformation scenes anyone should be put through. Knowing it was only 13 episodes helped much in that regard.
Though to be fair, Sailor Moon had transformation sequences for girls that were 14-16, not counting Setsuna's age. Still strange to watch, but at least I didn't feel like a pedophile, in contrast to Fate and Nanoha's transformation sequences in the first season and A's... then Erio and Caro in StrikerS.... ugh.
Old 2010-02-15, 21:12   Link #655
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:

That doesn't make sense to me. she ran from the cops! that sold it for me, have i not watched neough mahou shoujo, or what? x_x

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-02-15, 21:15   Link #656
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

dont worry most people wouldn't know that cause most people dont watch the first few episodes
Old 2010-02-15, 21:16   Link #657
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Though to be fair, Sailor Moon had transformation sequences for girls that were 14-16, not counting Setsuna's age. Still strange to watch, but at least I didn't feel like a pedophile, in contrast to Fate and Nanoha's transformation sequences in the first season and A's... then Erio and Caro in StrikerS.... ugh.
The age wasn't the issue for me in either. I don't care about transformation sequences (even if it involves younger characters, because dammit, I'm the only one whose gonna see it in this household anyway), so long as they don't happen every episode. Which got really old in Sailor Moon. It was just a way of filling up space so they didn't have to animate that much more, in my opinion. Same thing happened in G-Gundam; seeing Domon put on his Mobile Trace suit every episode got really old (never mind the fact that he's a guy and thus I'm not interested in seeing a naked guy stuffed into black spandex).
Old 2010-02-15, 21:17   Link #658
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokoufanatic View Post
dont worry most people wouldn't know that cause most people dont watch the first few episodes
Which is a shame, really, since they miss out on a lot of background exploration and development of the side characters.
Old 2010-02-15, 21:18   Link #659
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
The age wasn't the issue for me in either. I don't care about transformation sequences (even if it involves younger characters, because dammit, I'm the only one whose gonna see it in this household anyway), so long as they don't happen every episode. Which got really old in Sailor Moon. It was just a way of filling up space so they didn't have to animate that much more, in my opinion. Same thing happened in G-Gundam; seeing Domon put on his Mobile Trace suit every episode got really old (never mind the fact that he's a guy and thus I'm not interested in seeing a naked guy stuffed into black spandex).
lol that is how i feel except it was the dragon ball series with the fight sequences
Old 2010-02-15, 21:23   Link #660
leodamine
Divine Akuma

Well, it's not that easy to convince people to watch the show from the beginning. A friend of mine is somewhat interested in watching this show (because I'm about to do another rewatch, which is rare for me) but, he's the kind of guy who only likes shows like TTGL. I told him not to even bother with it, which, is not cool on my part. Any idea how I can approach this without getting him to ragequit within the first 5 minutes?