AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-21, 23:17   Link #1
InitialGT

Convince me to watch series that I stopped watching

I've seen a lot of anime and I've been dropping a few series here and there. Convince me as to why I should finish watching the series. I have all these animes on my harddrive in high quality after being suggested to watch them. How these animes got on my harddrive is a mystery to me. Anyhow, they are still there and I have not watched some or discontinued some.

Here is the list:

11eyes - have not watched yet 5/10
Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai - have not watched yet
AD Police - watched a few and got bored
Black Jack TV - feels "sailormoonish"
Code Geass S1 and S2 - the animation is so sharp. their faces are literary a triangle. It was disturbing enough to turn me off from this series
Da Capo S1 and S2 - "kiddy"
D-Gray Man - got bored
Ergo Proxy - got confused
Eureka 7 - haven't watched
Futakoi - "kiddy"
Lucky Star - "kiddy" 5/10
Jigoku Shoujo - repetitive
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya - i liked this series but can't get myself to finish it even though im halfway through 7/10
Mushi shi - confusing and slow
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - watched 2 episodes and have no idea what's going on and still can't figure out why people like this
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - i got bored watching it 7/10

crossed out means I watched it
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by InitialGT; 2011-01-23 at 00:53. Reason: reasons to why these animes were dropped
Old 2010-12-21, 23:23   Link #2
jedinat

The only anime on that list I should be inclined to push is Mushishi. But if you aren't convince by the first few episodes it's probably a hopeless business... I'll just say that it is a very finely crafted anime with rich atmosphere and well-written stories.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:30   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Eureka 7 and TTGL are the two that jump out at me, in addition to Mushishi. Not knowing how many eps you watched and why you dropped them it's hard to make a case. E7 is a beautifully animated series with an amazing story that sometimes gets too bogged down in a typical BONES obtuse plot. Despite that, it's exceptional. TTGL is straight up GAR, an epic series with fantastic visuals, great humor and one of the best plot arcs of any recent series.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:35   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Well under the assumption that you stopped Lucky Star in the episode 1~4 range as other people did, then I'd recommend trying a few episodes further as the director of the series changed after that and generally most people liked a lot more after the new director was handling the series. If you stopped somewhere else then ignore this .

Code Geass to bother saying would need to where you dropped it .
MAL
Old 2010-12-21, 23:44   Link #5
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Jigoku Shoujo can be quite repetitive, but I found season 2 very good. I know it can get incredibly dull for some people when seeing the same format over and over. However, in season two there is a twisting to that format and brings to question the whole concept to begin with. It answers a lot of questions you have from the first season. I am not really good at convincing people to watch things if they dislike it. The end of season one is quite nice, all of second season I found interesting, and I am still on the fence about the third season.

Lucky Star does improve later on, it has some of the funniest scenes I have seen. Specifically the father vs. Mosquito. I laughed so hard. Though I liked episodes 1-4 the later episodes are better.
Old 2010-12-22, 14:43   Link #6
Marlan35
<3 LW Raidy E>
*Artist

11Eyes becomes AWESOME at 6-12!one of the best animes...
Old 2010-12-22, 15:18   Link #7
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It would be a good idea to explain why you dropped those, so people can give more convincing arguments.

Just saying. I'd like for you to continue with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 because it's a very good drama. That's about all I can say...
Old 2010-12-22, 15:22   Link #8
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Well under the assumption that you stopped Lucky Star in the episode 1~4 range as other people did, then I'd recommend trying a few episodes further as the director of the series changed after that and generally most people liked a lot more after the new director was handling the series. If you stopped somewhere else then ignore this .

Code Geass to bother saying would need to where you dropped it .
I don't think it's the director's fault, imho. They were following the 4-koma, afterall. Those 4 episodes were there and would have been done no matter who the director was. And it was the content, not the direction, that people complained about in those eps. Both of them did great work and honestly, if he doesn't find the series good enough from the start, he shouldn't bother again. You either really love or hate this series.
Old 2010-12-22, 20:29   Link #9
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya has some decent character development near the end.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-22, 20:54   Link #10
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

Quote:
Code Geass S1 and S2 - the animation is so sharp. their faces are literary a triangle. It was disturbing enough to turn me off from this series
The animation isn't THAT bad. Code Geass would be one of my all time favorite series and possibly one of the best out there. The amount of twists it throws at you is insane, its fight scenes are crazily awesome, and you can really watch as Lelouch turns a small group of resistance fighters into an army that is capable of standing against a tyrannical empire. Most of the time I felt like I was watching history itself being written in front of my eyes because of how good the storytelling was.

Quote:
It does reuse mainly the same episodic format, but it's quite interesting to see how dark human beings really are. It really picks up near the end of each season as well.

Quote:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - watched 2 episodes and have no idea what's going on and still can't figure out why people like this
It's because of the pure unadulterated GAR that is coming from this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nihon Review
Pessimism, realism and everything in between is blasted out the window with unfettered energy and optimism placed in its stead. The series is a coming of age story where the lead character actually comes of age. This nonstop adrenaline rush is driven by strong characters and mind-blowing imagery. The monster of the week formula the show employs is overshadowed by the insane amount plot movement, character development and creativity. Amazing protagonists are thrown against equally amazing villains in a kinetic clash where self-confidence is all the power the characters ever need. Ignore all the crap that whizzes past your head, the show hits you with such a heavy sledgehammer of epic that all the corny clichés and downright stupid elements seem perfectly acceptable.
Quote:
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - i got bored watching it
I do admit the first episode was slow. However, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a heartbreakingly realistic show. It tells the story of a girl and her brother struggling to find their way home after a massive earthquake hits Japan while they're in the city. It's one of those shows that left me into a sobbing mess when it ended, and it pulls its execution off flawlessly.

I do recommend that you at least watch more than one or two episodes before judging a series, since you can miss some really good series that way.
Old 2010-12-23, 21:02   Link #11
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialGT View Post
I've seen a lot of anime and I've been dropping a few series here and there. Convince me as to why I should finish watching the series. I have all these animes on my harddrive in high quality after being suggested to watch them. How these animes got on my harddrive is a mystery to me. Anyhow, they are still there and I have not watched some or discontinued some.

Here is the list:

11eyes - have not watched yet
Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai - have not watched yet
AD Police - watched a few and got bored
Black Jack TV - feels "sailormoonish"
Da Capo S1 and S2 - "kiddy"
D-Gray Man - got bored
Ergo Proxy - got confused
Eureka 7 - haven't watched
Futakoi - "kiddy"
Lucky Star - "kiddy"
Legendary Gambler Tetsuya - i liked this series but can't get myself to finish it even though im halfway through
Mushi shi - confusing and slow
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - i got bored watching it

Thanks for your help.
11eyes - Don't bother unless you LIKE mindfucks.
Code Geass - Animation is a bit exaggerated, but no more than any other series... the storyline is SO worth it, regardless. (That being said, I liked the animation, anyway)
Ergo Proxy - I think you should give it another chance. It goes into a lot of psychological stuff, but the main storyline is surprisingly solid, IF you pay attention.
Eureka 7 - Very good in my opinion, with a deep plot and excellent character development, assuming you don't mind the mecha elements.
Futakoi - I can see why you might think it's kiddish, but I found it entertaining. Not to be taken really seriously.
Lucky Star - Same as above, but it does have its moments of funniness. They make it worth watching through the rest.

This next requires an explanation.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - The plotline is pretty straightforward. I don't see how you can get confused, when it's obviously a fantasy world. But aside from episode 4, everything about that show is really great. If you don't want to sit through the show proper, you can watch the movies, Gurren-hen and Lagann-hen, which are fantastic condensions of the show and are, in my opinion, better than the normal show. The show is all about spirit... if you're not into the kind of idea that hope and fighting spirit can bring you through any hardship, you probably shouldn't watch it. But if you do like that kind of drama, sitting through the first couple of episodes are more than worth it.
Old 2010-12-25, 01:08   Link #12
devildog23
Summerlurking

D. Gray-man - You say you got bored, I also began getting bored around the early episodes (around 20), but from episode 31, the action speeds up and then at episode 51, I found myself unable to stop watching.

Code Geass - I actually liked the art, but even if you do not like the art, I believe the overall characters and story is good enough to make you watch it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - is really not plot based I would say. It just got so ridiculous I couldn't really follow it. If your looking for epic action and characters, then watch this.

The other ones, I either haven't seen, or wouldn't suggest you finish due to your reasoning.
Old 2010-12-26, 09:14   Link #13
kitten320

Code Geass, I understand your pain. I also can't stand anime with bad graphics and it took me ages to finally watch the series. However, I got used to graphics at around episode 13 and series do have some interesting story and elements going there. It also has great and epic ending in season 2

D-Gray Man , how far did you get into the series? They do seem a bit boring at first but once Noah starts to enter the scene and more characters are introduced. It gets better. However, if you won't like it even ater that then I guess there is no point watching the series for you then.

That's all that I can convince you to watch...

What I really don't recommend is...
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Just don't... same as you I didn't like the series from the start but because of all the praise I kept watching... it took me ages to finish the series! They are just horrible, still have no idea why people love it. The characters are simply dumb! Action makes no sence of what so ever. There is simply no logic behind what is happening. Transformations are simply ridiculouse and don't follow any rules what so ever. The only good thing was time skip with huge changes... which sadly are seriously unrealistic but the crystal was used as excuse...
So yeh... if you don't like dumb characters and random action, and you are starving for some logic then this series are a big NO!

Ergo Proxy - duno about you, but I had reached till episode 10 got all confused and bored and decided that series don't deserve my attention...
Old 2011-01-04, 07:19   Link #14
ZoboCamel

There are two that I feel I should push - Code Geass and Lucky Star.

Personally, I liked the character designs in Geass; in a more general sense, though, I understand the pain of watching shows with character designs that you don't like. I'd recommend you continue it, though; if you've got any interest in war, mecha, plot twists, drama or mind games. If none of those interest you, it might become a bit of a pain to get past the animation, but if you like any of those then hopefully you'll get absorbed into the series enough to not notice the character designs so much (which is usually how I manage to sit through series where the art pains me).

As for Lucky Star... well, it depends on how much you watched. If you stopped in or around the first four episodes, then I'd have to go with the general consensus and say that it gets significantly better after that (I was on the verge of dropping it myself around that point, but ended up loving it). That said, if you've seen somewhat past that point and still don't enjoy it, then I don't see any reason for you to continue watching; it stays around that level of quality for the rest of the series, and doesn't really have any more major changes.
Old 2011-01-04, 19:14   Link #15
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post

What I really don't recommend is...
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Just don't... same as you I didn't like the series from the start but because of all the praise I kept watching... it took me ages to finish the series! They are just horrible, still have no idea why people love it. The characters are simply dumb! Action makes no sence of what so ever. There is simply no logic behind what is happening. Transformations are simply ridiculouse and don't follow any rules what so ever. The only good thing was time skip with huge changes... which sadly are seriously unrealistic but the crystal was used as excuse...
So yeh... if you don't like dumb characters and random action, and you are starving for some logic then this series are a big NO!
The characters are not DUMB, they are awesome and a lot of us don't need logic in our anime to enjoy it.

Who doesn't like random action?
Old 2011-01-04, 19:52   Link #16
GreatTeacherKen

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- I'm not sure why you think it's confusing, perhaps because of its fast pace? The setting does get more fleshed out the further you get in the series so I recommend you keep watching until at least episode 11 since it's a pivotal turning point in terms of characterization. If you still don't like the series after watching that episode, you'll probably never like the series.
Old 2011-01-05, 13:01   Link #17
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

I watched all of Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagaan. I can recognise why its got its fans, but it just wasn't for me, and I found it a lot less funny than most of the fans found it.

It can be a bit of fun, and some of the music is ok, but...yeah I'd kinda go with the if you don't like it don't bother crowd, it generally won't change your mind.

Eureka 7 I'd probably give another try though; I've heard from a few people who's opinions I generally trust that it does actually get quite good once it gets going!

Lucky Star - well this is also non-serious. I just took it as a relaxing break from more serious series, and ended up quite enjoying it by the end (one of the last episodes scenes almost felt like practice for Clannad too lol). If the humour doesn't gel with you after watching a few more episodes though, then perhaps its simply not for you, humour is afterall pretty individual!
Reading: None at the moment
Old 2011-01-05, 14:32   Link #18
InitialGT

I just finished watching Legendary Gambler Tetsuya
my mini-review:
addicting and fun to watch but predictable. Maybe it'd be a little better if I knew how to play Mahjong. Does not compare to Akagi. 7/10

I will watch Lucky Star now
Old 2011-01-05, 20:22   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll toss in a vote for Abenobashi. It's one of the more accessible shows from that period at GAINAX, though you have to be acquainted with popular culture to appreciate it. The first half or so parodies well-known genres like RPGs, Hong Kong kung-fu epics, harem visual novels, film noir, and the like. The last portion delves suddenly into Onmyōdō mysticism and the early postwar reconstruction of Japan. Personally, I enjoyed those historical portions, but they might not be to everyones' tastes. It's got GAINAX's visual fingerprints all over it, too, with hyperactive animation and a substantial dose of ecchi.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 gets better in the second half. Like Haak, I suggest you give it another try.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-01-05 at 20:33.
Old 2011-01-22, 19:27   Link #20
InitialGT

i just finished watching lucky star.

I had to force myself to finish this series. I saw many of the parodies like the initial d act, suzumiya act, death note act, full metal panic act, and some others. I did not find them entertaining at all. There were some interesting dialogues but I still felt that they were bland. I must say Akira in Lucky Channel was moe and fun to watch but series as a whole was a total let down.

5/10

i'm going to watch tokyo magnitude 8.0 now
Closed Thread