AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-13, 01:00   Link #2081
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Take a dragon. Replace scales with fluffy fur. Replace cold lizard blood with warm blood.

Effectively, fuse a dragon and a cat. The size and shape and majesty of a dragon, but the fluffy-want-to-take-him-home-with-you of a cat. So long as it was a majestic winged creature without a beak and had four limbs and a pointed head and had magical powers, it'd be a dragon.

Honestly, what's keeping dragons from being warm and fuzzy? I remember in Seiken Densetsu 3 there was Flammie, which while on the right path, isn't exactly big enough (although she effectively serves as your airship)

Elves: Sure they have pointy ears, but must they be a foot long? Can't they be like in the LotR films? Like, slightly pointed, but not "OMG GIANT POINTY EARS"?

As for Dwarves: well, the characteristic of a dwarf is that he's beyond short to the point that he has disproportionately small limbs. That's the defining characteristic of a dwarf.

And the point of a visual display is that what I see is what happens, yes? I mean when I see an arrow hit the hero and he has a reaction that shows he got hit and he takes 1 damage, I take it to mean "the hero got hit with an arrow", but it didn't go through his armor.

The real question is though why RPGs must rely on abstraction. What exactly is keeping developers from removing the whole HP and mana thing?
Old 2010-02-13, 01:12   Link #2082
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
The real question is though why RPGs must rely on abstraction. What exactly is keeping developers from removing the whole HP and mana thing?
Nothing, but learning to master these systems of abstraction is precisely the thing that a lot of those who play these games enjoy.

I think we've probably dragged this tangent on too long in this thread. Is it worth creating a separate thread to discuss this? If so, and if someone has an idea about how to start it, I invite you to do so.
Old 2010-02-13, 01:17   Link #2083
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
It's called Mario.

Seriously, just what's your definition of RPG?
Old 2010-02-13, 06:15   Link #2084
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

...I swore we were talking about the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII.

So come on, what are the characters names? I guess i'm only interested as far as to get this thing BOT.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 06:42   Link #2085
Sides

360 bundle on kotaku and siliconera.
People might laugh at the 360 version, however if the disc have different art work printed on each of them, i do see why hardcore fanatics will grab both versions. Besides the 360 lets you install games on the HDD, hopefully it won't need swapping like mass effect 2.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 08:52   Link #2086
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
I remember in Seiken Densetsu 3 [...]
That game was so freaking awesome that i cant resist to derail this topic even further...

-You could actually choose your main character, and most of them were awesome (Lise 4tw, spear amazon best amazon).
-Based on your main, the whole story changed. You had an individual origin (hello bioware!) and an individual last chapter!
-The character tiers actually meant something, while i could play dragon age without any class changes... Lise as Stardancer was pure sex.
-A metric ton of Boss fights! Remember those awesome bosses in Dragon Age or Mass Effect? No? Thats right...
-and a million more awesome facts, that just obliterate everything that crawled out of western rpgs to date.

/derail
Syntron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 10:32   Link #2087
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Forgive me for being late to the party, but...

Objective business student's take: The fact that there's going to be a special edition XBOX 360 for FFXIII is genius for tapping into the XBOX market.

Subjective Final Fantasy fan's take: THIS IS TOTAL BS!!!!!! &*^%&$^%!!!!!!!! DIE, SQUARE! Oh, sure, give the freakin' piece of crap XBOX 360 a special edition, but nooooooooooooo, don't bring over the GORGEOUS FFXIII Special Edition PS3, noooooooo....

Anyway, now that I have that out of my system, back to scanning the FFXIII site...

EDIT:

On a side note... has anyone preordered the FFXIII imported soundtrack from Square's website? Do you think it's a good deal? I'm considering getting it. I'm always a sucker for imports, and at 4 discs and $30, it'll be less than what I paid for my most prized import CD collection (2-disc Xenogears OST).

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 13:41   Link #2088
Leo Keichi

On a side note... has anyone preordered the FFXIII imported soundtrack from Square's website? Do you think it's a good deal? I'm considering getting it. I'm always a sucker for imports, and at 4 discs and $30, it'll be less than what I paid for my most prized import CD collection (2-disc Xenogears OST).

I think you should buy it. The soundtrack is great, even better than the ones made by Uematsu. It has that exciting feeling I think was kind of lacking in FFXII's music, and the instrumentation is pretty neat.

They're going to release a vinyl disc with 8 songs from the game. This is a nice item for collectors, although too expensive, imo.
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 15:38   Link #2089
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Keichi View Post
I think you should buy it. The soundtrack is great, even better than the ones made by Uematsu. It has that exciting feeling I think was kind of lacking in FFXII's music, and the instrumentation is pretty neat.
Thanks for the input. I'm deciding how to spend limited funds. I want to get FF XIII, of course. Then I'm considering the special edition FF XIII strategy guide and the imported OST. And finally I'm looking to buy a PSP before June so I can get Valkyria Chronicles 2. LOLZ

Yeah, I kinda need to find money for this.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 18:59   Link #2090
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
That game was so freaking awesome that i cant resist to derail this topic even further...

-You could actually choose your main character, and most of them were awesome (Lise 4tw, spear amazon best amazon).
-Based on your main, the whole story changed. You had an individual origin (hello bioware!) and an individual last chapter!
-The character tiers actually meant something, while i could play dragon age without any class changes... Lise as Stardancer was pure sex.
-A metric ton of Boss fights! Remember those awesome bosses in Dragon Age or Mass Effect? No? Thats right...
-and a million more awesome facts, that just obliterate everything that crawled out of western rpgs to date.

/derail
Yes, totally awesome game. I wonder if anyone at BioWare played it
The only thing it was missing was dialogue choices though. A lot of the SNES and PSX era JRPGs were incredibly innovative. It seems a lot of the more mainstream JRPGs nowadays have completely regressed in terms of innovation. I find it funny that SE considers getting rid of towns 'innovative'.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-13, 19:17   Link #2091
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

i heard that FF versus XIII is planned to be released this spring of 2010 tbh i was expecting that it'll come out next year... o well at least i don't have to wait that long heh
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 22:18   Link #2092
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
The fact that this isn't like traditional FFs where the main character dies and the battle still continues is farfetched to me. Also have the OST, favorite song is probably 'Senkou.'

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 22:53   Link #2093
ufocatcher
Banned

I just saw the 360 FFXIII bundle. Why are so many console/game bundles in white? The only bundle I remember that had a unique color was MGS4 PS3 and a few PSP bundles (*cough* purple Soul Calibur PSP *cough*).

Black consoles FTW.
ufocatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 23:48   Link #2094
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

white consoles are hard to clean up compared to black console u barely see any any dirts (except scratches) if there's any it really doesn't matter it looks cool either way
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-16, 05:57   Link #2095
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC3alpha View Post
white consoles are hard to clean up compared to black console u barely see any any dirts (except scratches) if there's any it really doesn't matter it looks cool either way
I don't know how people get their consoles dirty in the first place. I haven't payed any attention(cleaning wise) next to standard dusting(you know when you dust your TV as well) to my 360 it's still clean white without scratches.

I prefer the 360 white and the ps3 black.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 11:30   Link #2096
klowny
OH NO

I am considering getting this game but i have never played a final fantasy game EVER. So i'm asking, should i start with this one?
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 12:44   Link #2097
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
You can start with anyone.
They are all a little different in terms of gameplay, so there really is no Final Fantasy for "starters".
But shame on you that you haven't played any entry of the series so far. :O
FFVI and FFVII are games that any gamer should have played.

Last edited by ZGoten; 2010-02-17 at 13:10.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 22:09   Link #2098
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Moved the FFVII remake discussion to its own thread so we wouldn't keep taking this thread off-topic.
Old 2010-02-18, 10:12   Link #2099
ZODDGUTS

Looks like the resolution for the 360 version is 1024x576 compare to the PS3 version which is 1280 x 720.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=12055
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 13:54   Link #2100
ShinGundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Looks like the resolution for the 360 version is 1024x576 compare to the PS3 version which is 1280 x 720.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...ostcount=12055
So much for multiplatform engine after all :\
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360