AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-10-27, 07:38   Link #1
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

The Sony PSP

Well, here's the release date and price of the PSP. So after months of speculation, Sony has officially announced the price and the 'release' date of the PSP along with the battery life info that a lot of ppl are so eagerly dying to know. The release date is December 12th 2004, with a price of 19,800 Yen ($185 USD). Battery for game would last approx 4-6 hours. Movies will last 4-5 hours. Yes, it uses a rechargeable Lithium Ion battery.... According to sources, 21 titles will be available for the launch. Also there will be a package called the value pack, where it would be 5,000 yen more (24,800 yen ($232 USD)) which will include the normal package, a 32MB Memory Stick Duo, a set of headphones with a remote control + a carrying case. Not a bad move from Sony this time around.... 185 bucks is pretty close to the DS, and the price is acceptable overall. Not to mention how the PSP supports MP3 formats...

Sony PSP Official Details

And it seem like were gonna get the 4th spin-off from the FF VII series: CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII-

Even though it's at 2006, but it's good news for the PSP...And it's gonna be a ARPG!
Nagare Ryouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 07:45   Link #2
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Good God... they need to move on from FF7. As much as I like the game (which doesn't hold too much weight when compared to FF4 & 6), I just wanna watch the movie and be done with it. It's amazing how there are now 4 iterations of FF7 spinoffs. All we need is an arcade game and we'll be good.

And it's interesting how the PSP is $185. I wonder how that will be reflected here in the States.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 12:16   Link #3
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Good God... they need to move on from FF7. As much as I like the game (which doesn't hold too much weight when compared to FF4 & 6), I just wanna watch the movie and be done with it. It's amazing how there are now 4 iterations of FF7 spinoffs. All we need is an arcade game and we'll be good.
Yeah I have to agree with you that FF IV and XI is like one of the best FF series out there, but FF VII isn't bad either. Apart from the movie, I dont' mind playing some spin-off's from the game, since the characters are interesting enough. And it looks like this 4th spin-off, will be a big one. Not only is the orginal FF VII producer gonna take the helm, but we'll get the one who directed Crisis-FF VII and character design from Tetsuya Nomura once again. This sounds interesting...
Old 2004-10-27, 12:59   Link #4
Blaat

Bandai announced to release the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy on UMD. (Japan only so far)

Besides the battery life I must say not a bad system for that price.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 13:05   Link #5
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
Bandai announced to release the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy on UMD. (Japan only so far)

Besides the battery life I must say not a bad system for that price.
Is it the movie? Or it's the series? I though they said it's gonna be the series? Watching the OYW on a 16:3 inch LCD handheld... not too bad of an idea.
Old 2004-10-27, 13:57   Link #6
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:32.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 14:21   Link #7
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagare Ryouma
Is it the movie? Or it's the series? I though they said it's gonna be the series? Watching the OYW on a 16:3 inch LCD handheld... not too bad of an idea.
Its the movie, at least it says so at gamespot. You know if I get a PSP (which is a big IF) I'm positive I won't get anime titles for the reasons that I'm sure the subtitles are going to be too small :P

Last edited by Blaat; 2004-10-27 at 15:27.
Old 2004-10-27, 14:52   Link #8
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Well, you may never know Blaat-san.... If Bandai is gonna support the UMD format, the UMD might end up one day being a standard format like MD's... And the sub-titles, who know's... We could try that out with some AVI files, since it could be saved onto the Mem Sticks and play it on the PSP.... If the Gundam franchise does do well, I'm sure we'll get Seed and Destiny and the rest of the other series on the UMD format in the future as well.

On a note, the developers behind Dragon Quest VIII and the Dark Cloud series 'Level-5' has been recurited by Sony to make a new RPG game for the PSP.
Old 2004-10-28, 13:31   Link #9
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Ever since Sony unveiled the price and date for the PSP, it's getting a lot of attention from the media. And Newsweek has got a piece of the PSP's taste:

Old 2004-10-28, 15:07   Link #10
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
the UMD might end up one day being a standard format like MD's
Oh yeah, used all over by everyone in every device just like Beta, Memory Sticks, and...

If you haven't noticed already, only Sony devices use Memory Sticks. And outside Japan, MD's aren't terribly common. And Beta... Beta's mostly dead.

I don't see UMD taking off. It'll probably end up being another super-proprietary Sony-only technology.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 15:36   Link #11
Blaat

I'm going to take the neutral stance in this debate, it could work if it has lots of support from the beginning and Bandai announcing Gundam could be a good start. However microlith does bring up an interesting and to be honest I've never heard of MD before

I wasn't a fan of the article most stuff was pro-sony.
Old 2004-10-28, 16:13   Link #12
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Oh yeah, used all over by everyone in every device just like Beta, Memory Sticks, and...
If you haven't noticed already, only Sony devices use Memory Sticks. And outside Japan, MD's aren't terribly common. And Beta... Beta's mostly dead.
I don't see UMD taking off. It'll probably end up being another super-proprietary Sony-only technology.
Honestly speaking I didn't know that Mem Sticks are exclusive to Sony products only. I'm no pro in mem sticks, so you can say whatever you want man. But I do agree with your points to a certain extent except the MD bit. MD's are actually kind a common outside of Japan, especially in other Asian countries.... Dunno about Europe or North American countries since when I lent one of my old MD players to my friend years back then when he was still studying over in the US, his roomate and friends didn't even know what it was; even though it had been out for quite sometime. And what's Beta? Never heard of it....

Getting back to the subject, so again it all depends on the UMD's success. If it does end up being a Sony-only technology, heck then there is nothing we could do about it anyways. At the end of the day, it will eventually have a big influence in our lives like Walkmans did back then. If it was me, heck I would do the same move so that everybody would come to me ONLY. Well, I guess only time can tell.... I wonder if ppl felt the same way when Walkmans were first introduced back then? Was it popular outside Japan then? Oh well.... Btw, I've notice how there are a lot of Memory Sticks out there.. Some of them are not even by Sony, how exactly does those Mem sticks work anyways?

No worries Blaat-san, although I'm a Sony fan (to a certain extent) I'm not a big fan of the article either =) Just wanted to share some news with you guys that's all. I am looking forward to the PSP, can't wait to get my hands on it....
Old 2004-10-28, 16:22   Link #13
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
It already is, they refuse to distribute UMD burners to anyone outside the company, as of right now companies that make games must send the games to sony to manufature them on the UMD format...
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-29, 10:58   Link #14
SlugZilla
woofles

I wonder if there will be a built in storage for saving games or you need that memory stick to save. Non-value customers will get screwed learning the hard way if they realize they need a memory stick.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 17:46   Link #15
NinjaServ

probably memory card, being it is so small, it would be HARD for a HARDCORE gammer to save all the data internally because the space would be limited.
Old 2004-10-30, 18:45   Link #16
SlugZilla
woofles

Nah, didn't the PS2 cards have like 8mb? If so 32mb should be more than enough for gaming.
Mp3s on the other hand would be a problem. 32MB would not be enough for most people. I know there higher capcity sticks but they're pricey.
Old 2004-10-30, 19:19   Link #17
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
iirc, there's no word on whether the psp will play back mp3, the only thing that's guaranteed at this point is ATRAC3 playback. I wouldn't be suprised if they make transcoding to ATRAC3 mandatory, seeing as how this will undoubtedly be loaded down with Magic Gate DRM crap.

You'd be better off getting something made to play mp3s from the start, like an iPod or something.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 20:00   Link #18
SlugZilla
woofles

I use a minidisc player and it will only play your mp3s in atrac but it's not that worse. But I'm pretty sure they'll support mp3s as well as ATRAC3 in the PSP.

http://news.com.com/Sony+to+support+...?tag=nefd.lede
Old 2004-10-30, 21:34   Link #19
NinjaServ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
Nah, didn't the PS2 cards have like 8mb? If so 32mb should be more than enough for gaming.
Mp3s on the other hand would be a problem. 32MB would not be enough for most people. I know there higher capcity sticks but they're pricey.
I was talking about a internal source wouldn't have much space to store games, plus, that space would fill up FAST for a hardcore gammer, 8MB is nothing for someone who plays TONS of games, I'm just saying it will PROBABLY use those flash cards as memory cards as well.
Old 2004-11-05, 08:46   Link #20
Nagare Ryouma
Warrior Of Eternity

Well, it's funny how ppl say that the PSP doesn't have MP3 support and act all professional when it was officially announced by Sony at the TGS 04.... Just coz your country might be a bit behind in gadgets and stuff doesn't mean you can't use the internet to try and look on the latest trend O_o; Oh well....

But yeah, I do agree with you guys that the 32mb stick isn't gonna be enough to hold MP3's... Let alone movies files as well. I guess this is another one of those Sony tatics where they lure us into a pond and then make us end up getting 128, 256 + mb sticks... Evil Sony.... yet we still love them in some ways... talking about mix-feelings ^^;