AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-26, 12:04   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 572 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Ah, nothing like the smell of freshly-brewed OP spoilers in the morning to get you perked up, huh? A small summary and a few pics are out, and here's what's known so far:

-Chapter title is "The Times They Are A-Changin'" (uh, I have no idea if that's the actual title or just a translation ). Now that Luffy and Ace are free, it looks like the both of them are smacking around marines left and right. Whitebeard's crew has finally accomplished their mission, but there's no escape route. Fortunately, Squado makes his appearance at this time with a paddleship for everyone to escape in. Whitebeard then gives his sons his final order: leave him behind, and escape on their own.

-Naturally, his crew objects to the order, but Whitebeard's words are final. He tells them that they must live and return to the New World, and everyone is forced to concede their captain's order in the end. As the young pirates board the ship and depart, Whitebeard says that he's merely a relic of a bygone age, and that he refuses to board a ship that will set sail for a new generation. He then prepares to face off against the marines on his own, and seems to have a flashback about Roger, who asks him what it is that he truly seeks......

Well now, it looks like the time has finally come for Whitebeard's sacrifice, which is something that many of us have speculated upon in the past. Indeed, the downfall of the world's mightiest man will very well mark the end of the current age of piracy. At least we can be sure that old Newgate's legend will end with a proper "bang".....

BTW, I was kinda surprised that all Squado did was fetch a new ship for everyone to escape in. I had sorta thought that he'd be willing to sacrifice himself, as well. Oh, well. At least we know this storyline is near its end, now. It will be most interesting to see what will happen to the world after the death of the mighty Whitebeard......
Old 2010-01-26, 12:18   Link #2
james0246

Don't worry, Squado will find some way to get himself killed off in order to make up for his past crimes...

The only really bad thing about this whole war was how predictable everything was. Addmittedly, it would be very hard for such a war not to be predictable, really no matter the series or author. All we can hope for now is some sort of twist near the conclusion...

That being said, the conclusion's coming quick. Whad'ya think? 3 or 5 chapters?
Old 2010-01-26, 12:19   Link #3
Prestige

Well Whitebeard's epic tale was expected to end, and it he plans to do it with most meaningful way he could.

But there is only one Whitebeard, he will leave power vacuum and none of WB's crew is not big enough to fill his massive shoes, Ace perhaps in time but I doubt he is ready to take role of captain.

Oh I saw double page of Luffy&Ace facing marines together ands its damn awesome picture...

Hmm I wonder will Aokiji let pirates to leave so easily, he could just freeze entire sea around Marineford and prevent Marines doing anything, and Akainu could rain fire on them...

But I guess this war will come to end, it will be crushing blow towards Marines but not without cost.
Old 2010-01-26, 12:22   Link #4
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Whitebeard's crew has finally accomplished their mission, but there's no escape route. Fortunately, Squado his appearance at this time with a paddleship to escape in. Whitebeard then gives his sons his final order: leave him behind, and escape on their own.

He then prepares to face off against the marines on his own, and seems to have a flashback about Roger, who asks him what it is that he truly seeks......
I think I know what approach Oda is going to take with Whitebeard's death. He's going to make it end like the Blackbeard vs. Ace fight, where we don't see the actual conclusion. In doing so, Oda won't show Whitebeard getting killed off in the present time. Sometime subsequent to his death, we'll see the marines announcing this world breaking news.

If Oda does this (which he most likely will), he'll be adhering to his "significant characters only die in flashbacks/the past" rule.
Old 2010-01-26, 12:30   Link #5
james0246

^I'm kind of expecting the actual death to be off-screen, but in his final moments, Whitebeard will use the last of his strength and make a mountain appear where he is standing (or something massive along those lines), thus copletely destroying MHQ (without actually killing anyone important)...
Old 2010-01-26, 12:31   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
All we can hope for now is some sort of twist near the conclusion...

Luffy and co. run into Blackbeard and his new Impel Down posse just as they're about to escape Marineford. I'm calling it first!
Old 2010-01-26, 12:39   Link #7
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
-Chapter title is "The Times They Are A-Changin'" (uh, I have no idea if that's the actual title or just a translation ).
According to the Japanese text spoilers, the title is literally written in English.

Love the page of Ace and Luffy, back to back. Been waiting for that.

Looks like Whitebeard intends to sacrifice himself so that as many of the "next generation" can escape as possible. But from some of the text, looks like he wants to challenge Sengoku directly.

I wonder what's with Jozu and Marco? Doesn't seem to be any info on them. Will they stay with Whitebeard or leave...?
Old 2010-01-26, 12:43   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Luffy and co. run into Blackbeard and his new Impel Down posse just as they're about to escape Marineford. I'm calling it first!
While I do believe that Blackbeard will appear once more before the next mini-arc starts, I somewhat doubt he will appear in front of Luffy and company any time soon.

I was thinking Mihawk might suddenly appear, and cut off one of Ace's limbs, but that could be simple wishful thinking on my part ...
Old 2010-01-26, 12:45   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I was thinking Mihawk might suddenly appear, and cut off one of Ace's limbs, but that could be simple wishful thinking on my part ...
I, too, would love to see that .
Old 2010-01-26, 14:10   Link #10
marvelB

Heh, yeah, I share the sentiment of Mihawk hacking off one of Ace's extremities being quite a sight to behond. After all, even if Whitebeard's men managed to get on an escape ship, the marines certainly aren't going to let them go so easily. They'll do everything in their power to make sure that Ace is dead, even though old man Whitebeard offered himself to die in his place.....

BTW, it would also be awesome if Moria tried to swipe Ace's shadow during the escape, as well.
Old 2010-01-26, 14:14   Link #11
Azncoke123

Don't forget they have Jimbei.
Old 2010-01-26, 14:21   Link #12
Nvis
Where are the good animes

If WhiteBeard isn't shown dead, he's not dead.

Maybe brainwashed by the Marines ( ). Or turned cyborg like Kuma or something even more notorious by Vega Punk or Sengoku.
Old 2010-01-26, 14:35   Link #13
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
If WhiteBeard isn't shown dead, he's not dead.

Maybe brainwashed by the Marines ( ). Or turned cyborg like Kuma or something even more notorious by Vega Punk or Sengoku.

There's little point in Whitebeard staying alive beyond this point. I know Oda doesn't like killing off characters unless it's in a flashback, but considering the amount of build-up this war had, it would be kind of a waste for Oda to refrain from killing off at least one major character in this storyline. I really can't think of anyone who fits that bill better than Whitebeard, who represents the "old" age of piracy.....

Also, speaking of Whitebeard turning into a weapon, this reminds me of a theory I made a while back: When Whitebeard dies, Moria can steal his corpse and make him into the ultimate zombie warrior. Should make a good future opponent for Luffy, no?
Old 2010-01-26, 14:53   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Also, speaking of Whitebeard turning into a weapon, this reminds me of a theory I made a while back: When Whitebeard dies, Moria can steal his corpse and make him into the ultimate zombie warrior. Should make a good future opponent for Luffy, no?
The only question is, would the WG allow Moria to obtain something so powerful? I doubt it. They know how self-centered and untrustworthy the shichibukai are. It would be in the WG's best interest to cremate Whitebeard's corpse, so that there are no traces of him left. Otherwise, Moria would have a disastrous weapon on his hands, and the WG already has enough problems to deal with.
Old 2010-01-26, 14:55   Link #15
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

This is it then. The Legend that is Whitebeard is about to meet his end, making the ultimate sacrifice for his children so that they may go on into a new era. Its gonna be emotional no doubt, but hopefully Whitebeard will go out in style, its no less than a legend like him deserves.

This'll be a great year for the anime, Its only a matter of months that we have to wait, until this war gets animated and i really can't wait. All of those gifs i'll make...its gonna be awesome
Old 2010-01-26, 15:03   Link #16
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The only question is, would the WG allow Moria to obtain something so powerful? I doubt it. They know how self-centered and untrustworthy the shichibukai are. It would be in the WG's best interest to cremate Whitebeard's corpse, so that there are no traces of him left. Otherwise, Moria would have a disastrous weapon on his hands, and the WG already has enough problems to deal with.

About half the Shichibukai already betrayed/deserted the government as it is, so I don't think there's anything preventing Moria from doing the same after this war is over. I can easily imagine him stealing Whitebeard's corpse and having Hogback modify it into his ultimate tool to become Pirate King. Still, I guess the best question here is, which person's shadow would be suitable enough to accommodate such a legendary pirate's body.....?
Old 2010-01-26, 15:21   Link #17
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Still, I guess the best question here is, which person's shadow would be suitable enough to accommodate such a legendary pirate's body.....?
Indeed. From what we know, the most powerful shadow Moria has ever acquired is Luffy's. Supernova caliber is not good enough, so perhaps the shadow of a formidable NW pirate or an impressive bounty hunter would suffice. Still, this goal is not easy because Moria needs to have an elaborate set up to steal shadows. All of his past victims lost their shadows in his territory and they were all tied up and defenseless. Since Thriller Bark is destroyed, he'll now have to go out himself and try to steal the shadows of worthy adversaries. Of course, his enemies are not just going to stay still and let him take their shadows, so Moria's dream of expanding his army is going to be a lot more difficult from now on. Furthermore, his victims need to dwell in perpetual darkness to stay alive, and that's not going to be easy outside of the florian triangle.
Old 2010-01-26, 15:43   Link #18
james0246

^Luffy's shadow was so strong because Luffy's Haki is so powerful. Consequently, someone like Luffy (say, Boa) would be more than sufficient to operate Whitebeard's corpse.

That being said, I really do not see Whitebeard's corpse being used for anything but kindling or worm food.
Old 2010-01-26, 15:52   Link #19
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
^Luffy's shadow was so strong because Luffy's Haki is so powerful. Consequently, someone like Luffy (say, Boa) would be more than sufficient to operate Whitebeard's corpse.
Yeah, but there's no denying there are better candidates out there than rookie pirates. Another thing we haven't seen is a zombie with the power of a DF. Would it even be possible for WB's corpse to utilize his quake powers?

Quote:
That being said, I really do not see Whitebeard's corpse being used for anything but kindling or worm food.
Such is an appropriate fate for the corpse of a decrepit fossil .
Old 2010-01-26, 15:52   Link #20
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

so I wonder who's gonna take WB position?