AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-17, 02:11   Link #441
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
why don't we try out all of the english accents and find out which works best, Australian? Canadian? British?... who knows...
Canadian accents are terrible and British, although oddly fitting, does not work.

Just have her sound slightly nuts and it'd work. If only Wahlgren had used her Haruko voice...
Old 2009-09-17, 02:12   Link #442
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Instead she uses her Fuu voice and says "Mee-KOO-roo".

...oars.

EDIT: And apparently Anemone and Diva, but Tsuruya sounds much more like Fuu than those two, or at least she does in my head.
Old 2009-09-17, 02:28   Link #443
kniteowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
Canadian accents are terrible and British, although oddly fitting, does not work.

Just have her sound slightly nuts and it'd work. If only Wahlgren had used her Haruko voice
aw but I want the accent, there are a lot of english accents some I can't think of at the moment.

Irish???... hmmm
South African?
New Zealand?
any other english speaking countries?
then you have the many different American ones from all the different states/regions,

... ah well it's too late anyway unless they decide to do a redub of the old episode when they dub the new ones... I can't imagine them dubbing all eight episodes of E8 without going a little nutty lol.
Old 2009-09-17, 02:33   Link #444
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Eh, I liked the dubbing more than the Japanese version lol.

Side by side, they both shore up pretty well against each other, but I guess it's just that the English version sounds more natural.
Old 2009-09-17, 02:41   Link #445
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've heard some of these people dub...they are already a little nutty.
Old 2009-09-17, 02:42   Link #446
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol.

I guess, and Kyon's VA for the Eng version did Holland in Eureka Seven, so I guess it isn't that much of surprise for him to seem uber bored XD
Old 2009-09-17, 08:16   Link #447
OkamiNoKaze

The only thing that was hard to get used to in the dub, was Haruhi's singing in Live Alive, but I find it ok, though not as good as the original. I guess it just threw me the first time, because I'm not used to anime doing that.

Also, so then is that usually the case, when you hear a character speak with a southern accent, in the original they have that kansai accent?
Old 2009-09-17, 11:24   Link #448
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
The only thing that was hard to get used to in the dub, was Haruhi's singing in Live Alive, but I find it ok, though not as good as the original. I guess it just threw me the first time, because I'm not used to anime doing that.

Also, so then is that usually the case, when you hear a character speak with a southern accent, in the original they have that kansai accent?
The dub was great i think.

All the character voices fitted perfectly, especially Yuki Kyon and Haruhi.
Old 2009-09-17, 18:33   Link #449
HigurashinoUmineko

To me at times, Haruhi sounded older then she was supposed to be. But other times the voice seemed fine. Kyon and Yuki's voices were great though.

My problem in the dub was just Tsuruya's voice. She was a lovable character BECAUSE of her voice in japanese and the English dub just smashed that to pieces and made her an annoying sounding valley girl. (I understand she was supposed to have a Kansai accent)
But this is probably one of the best English dub I've heard. (This and Bleach)
Old 2009-09-17, 18:35   Link #450
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashinoUmineko View Post
You should watch the FLCL dub; it'll blow your mind!
Old 2009-09-17, 20:20   Link #451
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
Instead she uses her Fuu voice and says "Mee-KOO-roo".

...oars.

EDIT: And apparently Anemone and Diva, but Tsuruya sounds much more like Fuu than those two, or at least she does in my head.
Um, what? Wahlgren's Tsuruya sounds exactly like her Anemone and Diva.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-17, 23:31   Link #452
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HigurashinoUmineko View Post
To me at times, Haruhi sounded older then she was supposed to be. But other times the voice seemed fine. Kyon and Yuki's voices were great though.
Upon being compelled to listen to fourteen episodes of Aya Hirano's Haruhi, and comparing it to Wendee Lee's Haruhi, I find that Lee's Haruhi does sound 'older' than Hirano's Haruhi. But, otherwise, I find absolutely nothing wrong with Lee's rendition of her. Kyon's dub voice is such that when I'm watching the subs, I can hear Crispin Freeman's voice voicing Kyon's lines.

Quote:
My problem in the dub was just Tsuruya's voice. She was a lovable character BECAUSE of her voice in japanese and the English dub just smashed that to pieces and made her an annoying sounding valley girl. (I understand she was supposed to have a Kansai accent)
I actually do think Tsuruya's dub voice tends to grate a bit. But then again, the fact that Tsuruya's parents apparently volunteered her for US Armed Forces pharmaceutical experiments as a child . . . leaving her perpetually stoned and apt to laugh at every goddamned little thing . . . she tends to grate a bit in Japanese too.
Old 2009-09-18, 02:54   Link #453
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Kyon's dub voice is such that when I'm watching the subs, I can hear Crispin Freeman's voice voicing Kyon's lines.
Exact opposite. I recognize on a subconscious level that this is one of Freeman's best performances in an absolutely stellar career, but Tomokazu Sugita IS Kyon. Kinda like how I can't see/read Batman without hearing Kevin Conroy, or Joker without hearing Mark Hamill (do they have an Oscar equivalent for voicing video games, because LOCK!).

(Yeah, playing Batman: Arkham Asylum a bit... I can't believe someone took this long to realize that MGS + Batman makes the perfect game...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
I actually do think Tsuruya's dub voice tends to grate a bit. But then again, the fact that Tsuruya's parents apparently volunteered her for US Armed Forces pharmaceutical experiments as a child . . . leaving her perpetually stoned and apt to laugh at every goddamned little thing . . . she tends to grate a bit in Japanese too.
And the green hair. Can't forget that.
Old 2009-09-18, 10:44   Link #454
OkamiNoKaze

I tried watching the sub of FLCL once, it was just not the same, her Haruka ruled.
Old 2009-09-18, 11:25   Link #455
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
FLCL dub was awesome. Though... knowing that Naota was voiced by MMPR's Rita Repulsa both makes a bit of sense and disturbs me greatly.

Headaches, indeed.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-18, 13:14   Link #456
OkamiNoKaze

So THAT's what was causing her headaches huh
Old 2009-09-18, 17:00   Link #457
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Exact opposite. I recognize on a subconscious level that this is one of Freeman's best performances in an absolutely stellar career, but Tomokazu Sugita IS Kyon. Kinda like how I can't see/read Batman without hearing Kevin Conroy, or Joker without hearing Mark Hamill (do they have an Oscar equivalent for voicing video games, because LOCK!).
I totally agree with this! Even though Crispin Freeman did a good job on Kyon, Tomokazu Sugita's voice is the first that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Kyon.
Old 2009-09-18, 23:04   Link #458
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I actually really did care Tomokazu's voice as Kyon and like Crispin's rendition better, although after hearing Yomokazu for 14 episodes, it grew a little bit on me. Still, he sounds to old to me.
Old 2009-09-20, 08:42   Link #459
TakariCritic

For me, I started out in Haruhi by watching the dub.

I found Freeman's performance so stellar, that I found myself hearing his voice when I read the light novels. Same with Yuki's.
Old 2009-09-20, 09:03   Link #460
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFrani View Post
I totally agree with this! Even though Crispin Freeman did a good job on Kyon, Tomokazu Sugita's voice is the first that comes to mind when I'm thinking about Kyon.
I actually prefer Crispin's voice more than Sugita's.
Closed Thread