AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-09-19, 23:59   Link #881
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
OK so I have a question in regard to visiting/living in Japan...
I know getting a visitor's visa is one thing, but what about a foreigner, like me (and possibly you) getting a permanent visa and citizenship? Does Japan allow that sort of stuff?
Old 2010-09-20, 00:05   Link #882
LMF

Yes they do. Every country does that. Well, mostly. Remember, Japan doesn't allow dual-citizenship unless you're from Mexico or Uruguay(dual-citizenship).

Recently, Japan has been limiting the visa and citizenship due to overpopulation and foreigners in the job market. Though, I might be wrong.

Though, I wouldn't mind being a Japanese neutralize citizen, then later they pay me to leave the country. Easy money.
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 03:57   Link #883
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
OK so I have a question in regard to visiting/living in Japan...
I know getting a visitor's visa is one thing, but what about a foreigner, like me (and possibly you) getting a permanent visa and citizenship? Does Japan allow that sort of stuff?
In order to get JPN citizenship, you need to revoke any other citizenships, unless you are under 20 or received honorary JPN citizenship for doing something great for Japan. I personally would never ever give up my American citizenship, but it's a personal choice.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 17:04   Link #884
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
what about if your born there?
like an American who happens to be in Japan when she pops...is the kid considered Japanese?

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 19:23   Link #885
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
like an American who happens to be in Japan when she pops...is the kid considered Japanese?
If I remember correctly, I know someone who had a child like that (or at least similar)... The kid was born in a Japanese hospital in the USA. So If I remember the story correctly, the family had to do a lot of extra paperwork.
Old 2010-09-20, 19:27   Link #886
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
That sounds like the same case for me

I was born in Japan, then later came to America when I was 5-6 years old.
Old 2010-09-20, 21:56   Link #887
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil1 View Post
If I remember correctly, I know someone who had a child like that (or at least similar)... The kid was born in a Japanese hospital in the USA. So If I remember the story correctly, the family had to do a lot of extra paperwork.
How is the hospital Japanese if it's in the USA? US citizenship rules say a baby born on any US soil is American, so...?

btw no more anchor babies...
Quote:
The child could claim American citizenship because their parent is an American, and could claim Japanese citizenship because they were born in Japan. In this case, the child can have dual citizenship. They will have to choose which citizenship they keep when they turn 20, the age of consent in Japan; Japan does not allow for people over that age to have dual citizenship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
That sounds like the same case for me

I was born in Japan, then later came to America when I was 5-6 years old.
This is not the same, because you were never allowed to claim natural born American citizenship. You had to get it through naturalization, so the earliest you could have had American citizenship would have been when you were 23 or when your parent(s) obtained naturalized citizenship (the latter is considering they completed the naturalization process before you turned 18).

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-09-20 at 22:14.
Old 2010-09-20, 22:43   Link #888
LMF

One question.

Why would you want to live in Japan?
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:53   Link #889
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMF View Post
One question.

Why would you want to live in Japan?
Yeah, I'd much rather go to live in Europe or a place that isn't so, "misunderstanding" of foreigners. I wouldn't mind staying for an exchange, but planning to spend the rest of my days in Japan is quite farfetched for me.
Old 2010-09-20, 23:08   Link #890
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Plus Tokyo (2) and Osaka (6) are among the most expensive cities to live in, according to GLOBAL/WORLD COST OF LIVING RANKINGS 2010/2011. See this for the list up to Rank 141.

Take note that in the same list, New York is 27th.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 23:28   Link #891
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Plus Tokyo (2) and Osaka (6) are among the most expensive cities to live in, according to GLOBAL/WORLD COST OF LIVING RANKINGS 2010/2011. See this for the list up to Rank 141.

Take note that in the same list, New York is 27th.
Yeah, not worth it unless I score a good full time job there (like upward of 100K a year). Which is pretty impossible
Old 2010-09-21, 06:30   Link #892
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
How is the hospital Japanese if it's in the USA? US citizenship rules say a baby born on any US soil is American, so...?

btw no more anchor babies...

The child could claim American citizenship because their parent is an American, and could claim Japanese citizenship because they were born in Japan. In this case, the child can have dual citizenship. They will have to choose which citizenship they keep when they turn 20, the age of consent in Japan; Japan does not allow for people over that age to have dual citizenship.

This is not the same, because you were never allowed to claim natural born American citizenship. You had to get it through naturalization, so the earliest you could have had American citizenship would have been when you were 23 or when your parent(s) obtained naturalized citizenship (the latter is considering they completed the naturalization process before you turned 18).
Unless one of his parent holds the Japanese nationality he won't be able to claim Japanese citizenship, given the Japanese nationality law, for Japan is a Jus sanguinis country, and not a Jus soli like the US.

Many Old World and particularly European countries are Jus sanguinis, unlike the New World where Jus soli is more common. Japan's law is probably one of the most severe, as it still does not tolerate dual citizenship, while many Jus sanguinis countries have softened their policies (Philippines comes to my mind, as I was able to reclaim citizenship a few years ago).
Old 2010-10-14, 15:42   Link #893
Heiwatsuki

hahhahaah I originally had wanted to move to japan and live with my japanese aunt because its always been my dream to attend a japanese high school(especially the same high school kyon in the anime the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya went to, since the anime settings are real places, even kyons house is a real house.... <-- Lol). I wanted to drop out to high school after finishing my sophomore year and live in japan.. after reading some things here im worring hahah.

Guess i have been a bit wayyyy to infuenced by anime. But nevertheless after i finish school i shall go to Japan!!!! and once i go there, the first thing i will do is buy an ENTIRE LIBRARY OF MANGA(exaggering :P) BWAHAHAHAH. sigh... guess my dream of attending a japanese high school will NEVER come true.. i have thought about trying to try the exchange student thing.. but im too shy and nervous. :O. and im not sure how the system works. how much does it cost and ect.
i
*sob* guess its time to stop dreaming and first finish high school atleast.... and btw... from what i read, its wierd to NOT have a girlfriend? Lmfao, ive always seen guys confessing and ect in anime ALOT but i didnt think it was the same in real life. Well, im wayy to shy and have no self confidence whatsoever to even try to confess or get a girlfriend... i had planned to never marry LOL. Bleh... Japan never fails to amaze me.

Well time to start studying since i got 3 tests coming up.... btw can anyone please answer some questions for me if i go to japan?
1. Are most people very social? cause i dont talk much(im known as the quiet guy at school). would they think im very wierd and tease me or ect?

2. Are there alot of bullies? and if so, do i have permission to beat them up? >

3. from what i see from anime, its normal to have a part time job from a early age right? in real life, is it easy to get a part time job in japan? and what age would be a normal age for a teenager to have a part time job.

4. in japanese schools, do they do alot of things where the students NEED to participate?(like cultural festival). if i wanted, can i not participate?

5. do japanese guys really get nosebleeds sometimes? like if a strong wind comes and makes some kawaii girls skirts go up, will a pervert get a nosebleed? . i would love to see that happen

6. whats the normal kind of transportation one would use to go somewhere. like subway,train,bus, or ect? and how much would it cost. from what i see in anime, the characters seen to travel to different places in japan alot.

7. What parts of japan are country? like a area with houses with electricity and plumbing but helping out in the rice fields and ect?(example would be the manga Kimi no Iru Machi)

8. is it worth visiting japan? whats it like there? and would it be okay to actually live there? if i knew a decent amount of japanese, and i lived in japan after finishing a college in america, what sort of stuff should i do to get started in living in a nice small apartment. my dream home has always been a japanese style house, but that aside, i wanted to live in a small apartment, each day going to my job and living the life of a shut in since i would know nobody there...

9. if i were to go to japan without knowing anyone there but knew enough japanese and have an enough amount of money to rent an apartment for a short while, what should i do to get started.

10. final Question: are japanese libraries (including school libraries) what you might see in an anime? america's school libraries are very small and uber boring but public libraries are somewhat decent but.., are japanese libraries very big and nice? also.. is there anything else i should know if i were to going live in japan?

Edit: what should i know about citizenship? how do i obtain a japanese citizenship and will not having one affect what kind of jobs i can get or lifestyle? and if i revoke my american citizenship, what kind of affects does it have in any way. from long term to short term affects. if i decided to return to america after revoking my american citizenship and living in japan for like 10 years or so, how can i get an american citizenship(or japanese citizenship). also... what affects does not having an american citizenship have if you are living in america
note: i have no clue about citizenships in general, and im 14..

Quote:
In Japan right now on a study abroad (Yes, Nishinomiya, Haruhi`s city, between Osaka and Kobe; I think I even walk past the school that the author models SOS-dan`s school after every day -- argh that damn hill) and liking it so far. Question though:

How best to enjoy Osaka and Kyoto (and Kobe too maybe)?
omfg lucky... i wanted to see the school in real life and walk up that same hill....

Quote:
8) What`s the best way to transport seven hundred tons of manga back home without exorbitant fees and customs annoyances?
10) Should I, or should I not, ever try to enter a maid/tsundere/butler(!?) cafe?
i feel a murderous intent... just kidding :P. though i am jealous.. i want a gigantic amount of manga like that >:O. and i have no knowlege of japan but.. i say GO INTO A MAID CAFE, IT WILL DEFINITLY BE A AWEASOME EXPERIENCE. seeing hot girls in short skirted maid uniforms saying Welcome master when you enter is more than enough to give a guy a nose bleed. . btw your french right? are you trilangual? english,french, and japanese? Bonjour monsieur, :P.

another note: i dont neccesarily plan on living in japan permanatly in japan yet, i will probably just live in japan for about a year or two to better experience their culture, im not that stupid to live in japan with almost no knowledge of japanese. i wonder if knowing a few hundred kanji, memorized hiragana and katakana and being able to read profeciently in hiragana and katakana(but not kanji) if enough to live in japan? how much and what should i know in terms of communicative skills to live in japan. and if i do live in japan, i want to live in the countryside, a nice slow paced lifestyle. where would a beautiful countryside like that be?

Last edited by Heiwatsuki; 2010-10-14 at 16:12.
Heiwatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-14, 18:05   Link #894
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

I'd Visit for the fact of Aokigahara & Yonaguni Island (but I'm a nut case )
Old 2010-10-14, 22:34   Link #895
Kudryavka

@xKou Many people get girlfriends in high school. Not everyone does, but many do.

3. Hm, I heard that kids in Japan spend too much time with school to get a job. The life of the unmarried Office Lady can be like having a part time job and no expenses, though.
5. No guy of any race gets nosebleeds from that irl.

To get a Japanese citizenship you have to stay in Japan for five consecutive years, have a good record (no horrible crimes, etc.), and be over ~twenty. You will be asked to surrender either your Japanese citizenship or your American citizenship, since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. If you want your American citizenship back, you'll have to go with naturalization, which involves five years of staying in America after filling out the paperwork and turning 18. Your Japanese citizenship will automatically disappear once you get sworn in as an American citizen.
Old 2010-10-14, 22:48   Link #896
flying ^

I would like to go there for a visit, but first the yen must devalue (or the dollar appreciate) back to 2007 levels.
$1 = just 81 yen is ridiculous
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-15, 16:17   Link #897
H23

I just got back from Japan 3 weeks ago. I stayed for about a total of almost 3 weeks - started out in Osaka, and ended up in Tokyo. Other cities/towns that we have gone to are Koya-san, Hiroshima, Kyoto and Hakone.

Beautiful country, delicious food, and people are wonderful. That's one of the shortest ways I could describe the place.. I mean the country is HOT and humid, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

And to the guy who was asking about whether people are too social in Japan or not - they are still people. All I can say is that, you get back as much as you try to put in. For me, my japanese is very broken and informal (picked up from watching anime throughout the years, much like others, hah ), but I definitely knew enough to get me around and make some small english/japanese talk with the locals. Not everybody speaks English, especially in the smaller towns, but they're still out there. They really do appreciate it when you make an honest effort to try and talk to them in Japanese though. Had an awesome time, and I met a lot of people that I still keep in touch with - and will probably hang out/meet with the next time I am in Japan, since I'm definitely coming back.
Old 2010-10-15, 16:19   Link #898
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
1. Are most people very social? cause i dont talk much(im known as the quiet guy at school). would they think im very wierd and tease me or ect?
I wouldn't say Japanese are less social than Westerners, but they are less open compared to Americans and more similar to, say, Germans in that respect.

Quote:
2. Are there alot of bullies? and if so, do i have permission to beat them up? >
Bullying is an issue in Japanese schools. My guess is it's because students in Japan are given more freedom. Bullying is often not in the form of violence, and if a foreigner is violent in Japan they're screwed. Read up on how police mistreat foreigners (and their own citizens).

Quote:
3. from what i see from anime, its normal to have a part time job from a early age right? in real life, is it easy to get a part time job in japan? and what age would be a normal age for a teenager to have a part time job.
Many schools forbid their students from taking part-time jobs. Japan has a very low unemployment rate.

Quote:
4. in japanese schools, do they do alot of things where the students NEED to participate?(like cultural festival). if i wanted, can i not participate?
There will always be students who stand around and do nothing.

Quote:
5. do japanese guys really get nosebleeds sometimes? like if a strong wind comes and makes some kawaii girls skirts go up, will a pervert get a nosebleed? . i would love to see that happen
No. I don't know why nosebleeds are common in manga/anime, but many Japanese regard blood as important.

Quote:
6. whats the normal kind of transportation one would use to go somewhere. like subway,train,bus, or ect? and how much would it cost. from what i see in anime, the characters seen to travel to different places in japan alot.
First off, et cetera is abbreviated as etc, and "a lot" is two words. Get you a spell check.
Buses are the most common form of transportation. Commuter trains are only prevalent in metropolises. There are many places where you can't survive without a car. Japanese are like everyone else in the world and rarely travel more than 50 km from their homes.

Quote:
7. What parts of japan are country? like a area with houses with electricity and plumbing but helping out in the rice fields and ect?(example would be the manga Kimi no Iru Machi)
Rice farming isn't very profitable and often needs government subsidies to exist. The industry is dying along with the villages it supported.

Quote:
8. is it worth visiting japan? whats it like there? and would it be okay to actually live there? if i knew a decent amount of japanese, and i lived in japan after finishing a college in america, what sort of stuff should i do to get started in living in a nice small apartment. my dream home has always been a japanese style house, but that aside, i wanted to live in a small apartment, each day going to my job and living the life of a shut in since i would know nobody there...
Japan is a very nice place to visit, not so nice to live in. If you're not bright, the easiest way to live in Japan for a few years is as an English teacher.

Quote:
9. if i were to go to japan without knowing anyone there but knew enough japanese and have an enough amount of money to rent an apartment for a short while, what should i do to get started.
Not many people go to Japan knowing Japanese, it's something you learn while you are there. If you are a quiet person you won't learn Japanese. There are many foreigners who live in Japan for 10+ years and are unable to pick up the language.

Quote:
10. final Question: are japanese libraries (including school libraries) what you might see in an anime? america's school libraries are very small and uber boring but public libraries are somewhat decent but.., are japanese libraries very big and nice? also.. is there anything else i should know if i were to going live in japan?
I visited several public libraries in the Kantou region and they all seemed pretty normal. One thing abnormal was the huge amount of bookstores, all of the same chain.

If you want to know more about Japanese culture you might be able to learn a couple things from reading this blog. The dude who wrote it is an American who was an Assistant Language Teacher for like five years in various Kansai middle schools. Some of the observations he makes on Japanese culture and societies in general are less than intellectual, but he is a funny writer.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 15:48   Link #899
Heiwatsuki

thanks for answering some of my questions . Ive always thought the Japanese weren't very open compared to korea. considering you dont see much japanese people around in America. But there are tons of koreans...

Ah, when i read demons post, i was surprised, i didnt know japanese schools forbid part-time jobs.
Quote:
5. No guy of any race gets nosebleeds from that irl.
aww, that wouldive been a sight worth seeing.

Quote:
Rice farming isn't very profitable and often needs government subsidies to exist. The industry is dying along with the villages it supported.
That sucks -.-. i have always loved the country more than cities. wonder if i would have a chance of seeing something like that in Korea... and do you know some places where this kind of job would still exist? on Google street viewer, i think i remember once seeing a field of rice, i forgot where i looked though...

Quote:
Bullying is an issue in Japanese schools. My guess is it's because students in Japan are given more freedom. Bullying is often not in the form of violence, and if a foreigner is violent in Japan they're screwed. Read up on how police mistreat foreigners (and their own citizens).
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0070814zg.html <-- wow...

so basically, if i was confronted by bullies, and they threw the first punch, and I hit back, I would be in a lot more trouble than the bullies themselves? :/ . oh BTW, when you said that a violent foreigner would get screwed, do the police get involved in bully cases? wouldn't the teacher sort it out(or do the teachers also treat foreigners the same? and well... i would probably fit in when it comes to looks. since im a Korean and my friends(also Korean) tell me I look more Japanese. Koreans and Japanese look somewhat similar enough.... i guess.

Quote:
Japan is a very nice place to visit, not so nice to live in. If you're not bright, the easiest way to live in Japan for a few years is as an English teacher.
guess that destroys my hopes of finding a nice job in a manga store or somewhere calm and living in a small apartment in peace. sigh... guess ill just visit Japan frequently instead of living there.

Quote:
Not many people go to Japan knowing Japanese, it's something you learn while you are there. If you are a quiet person you won't learn Japanese. There are many foreigners who live in Japan for 10+ years and are unable to pick up the language.
watching anime with subtitles for 10 years would be more efficient eh? . (joke, but it is true..)

Quote:
To get a Japanese citizenship you have to stay in Japan for five consecutive years, have a good record (no horrible crimes, etc.), and be over ~twenty. You will be asked to surrender either your Japanese citizenship or your American citizenship, since Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. If you want your American citizenship back, you'll have to go with naturalization, which involves five years of staying in America after filling out the paperwork and turning 18. Your Japanese citizenship will automatically disappear once you get sworn in as an American citizen.
thanks . i wonder what would happen if i lived in japan for 4.99 years and visited America for a month and came back . oh BTW, what if your living with a relative for 5 years. Does that still count? Would they force me to expunge my American Citizenship if i wanted to stay in Japan?

Note: http://gaijinchronicles.com/category...eacher/page/6/ this is one hilarious link you gave me. Thanks demon .

Last edited by Heiwatsuki; 2010-10-16 at 16:37.
Heiwatsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 20:40   Link #900
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
the idea about nose bleeds is an old wives tale (from what I've heard, it originated in Japan, but I could be wrong) that goes something like: guy sees girl that turns him on, and the blood fills up his nether regions, and over-flows through his nose.

I don't know if you've ever been out of the country Autumn Demon, but from my experience (I spent a month in Japan, and over 3 years traveling/living in other parts of the world) after the initial excitement of being in a new place, and seeing all the tourist traps wears off, your still stuck in the rut that's called life, and as the saying goes "it's the same old stars up in the sky". So it might seem magical to go and live in Japan, but on the exact flip side tons of foreigners watch Hollywood movies and think America is incredibly awesome (ok, so it is...but it's not as great as they all make it out to be).
It's still a really great life experience though to go and live somewhere overseas for a while. It gives you a different sort of street smarts that you just don't get from being at home. I'm seriously thinking about going to teach for a year in Japan at some point (by biggest problem is fitting it into my plan, but I think I may be able to make it work)
and don't for a second think that I'm not advocating travel...I have very itchy feet and love to travel, but I've learned that it's not all as magical as you expect

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel