Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2010-02-17, 23:40   Link #1
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Send a message via MSN to Lizzie Send a message via Yahoo to Lizzie
A personal RPG project

Well sorta, it's only on paper. Basically I'm annoyed with every RPG I've ever played falling short on satisfying me.

I figured I'd post it in the vain hope that I might get some following and possibly help with developing it. It's better then doing nothing I guess. I have absolutely no skill with making games.

http://alopex.li/wiki/LizRPG#preview

I'd prefer suggestions/discussion/ect remain on this thread rather then people editing the wiki, I don't actually expect anyone to randomly edit it but I'm just laying that out anyway.
Old 2010-02-18, 02:45   Link #2
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Thats quite a massive endeavor... it'll be hard press to find enough coders and artists.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 03:33   Link #3
LynnieS

It might be doable if you toss away the idea of making this an on-line RPG MMO from the start. Reading through the wiki (very quickly so if I miss something, excuse the mistake), the ideas could be translated into a paper-type instead.

In that case, you just need to define the boundaries of the "realm", the rules governing combat/luck/etc, and then publish the info for potential DM's and players. Set up a player feedback system for people to update the details through, say, popular or insider voting to enhance the gameplay in the future as well.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 05:42   Link #4
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
linear would be doable with some compromise.

trust me you don't want to create the first projects as an mmo, i've worked on them, netcode is NOT fun, and licensing for it even less so if you don't make your own. Most open source engines still need work to handle a professionally executed mmo. At a smaller scale you could use something like the Neverwinter Nights system and create a persistant world on it. though again, massive rewrites of an existing system.

if you get something together, I have done scripts for games, and worked as an environment artist, level designer, and character designer on some stuff. I've been out of the field for a bit due to personal circumstance, so i'd be down to get something new in my resume. I also have another artist who can also program in tow (yay for double majoring in art and software engineering)

your idea shows promise, but if you want to actually see it exist then compromise would have to be made.
Knyghtblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 10:43   Link #5
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Ok, page on the RPG edited to reflect this but this is not and was never intended to be an MMO. It was meant to be a single player RPG. I should've made that clear from the start, my mistake.

Knyghtblade: Elaborate on "Compromise". Also if I call you in for helping me with this, I might also be looking to have you educate me on how to do some things. I'm not going to make people who are helping me with this do all the work.

LynnieS: I'm not making this a "pen & paper" RPG. I've never really had much issue with those so I don't feel the need to make my own to satisfy my needs in that department. My issue stands with computer games.
Old 2010-02-18, 11:54   Link #6
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I realize that threads like this always get people with no particular skills related to the project asking if they can be "editor," to the point that it likely gets annoying. Despite that, I decided I'd mention that if you do get this off the ground, I'd be interested in that role assuming you need one. I think that as someone with a degree based almost entirely on writing, a job that entails searching for mistakes in files and proofreading corporate letterheads, and a habit of spending way too much time agonizing over the contents of a post before submitting it on this very forum, I am as qualified to edit as a programmer would be to, uh, program.

I occasionally get random ideas in regards to characters and storylines also but wouldn't bring any of them up unless asked, as I know how extremely annoying it is for others to question your creative vision.

(Also no, I don't speak this formally in real life. It just kinda happens out of habit when typing, especially if the post itself is in regards to editing.)
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 11:58   Link #7
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Since currently I have no story and characters to speak off, feel free to suggest things. Mostly it's on a "Put down ideas as they come to me and then make some sense from the chaos when we have enough to work with" deal.
Old 2010-02-18, 12:19   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

If you want this to be done right.. I suppose I can offer some advice.

First you start out with a GDD, in other words a Game Design Document. What this is, is your game written out in english. Before you begin coding / etc, you need to have a plan first. Be as comprehensive as possible, produce a "book" that contains in detail exactly what should be what, like what sort of combat system, engine, graphics, characters, classes, towns, names, labels, npcs, etc etc...

The more effort you put into this the better off you'll be. Since this is a really ambitious project it should end up as big as a small novel with a table of contents.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 12:25   Link #9
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
If you want this to be done right.. I suppose I can offer some advice.

First you start out with a GDD, in other words a Game Design Document. What this is, is your game written out in english. Before you begin coding / etc, you need to have a plan first. Be as comprehensive as possible, produce a "book" that contains in detail exactly what should be what, like what sort of combat system, engine, graphics, characters, classes, towns, names, labels, npcs, etc etc...

The more effort you put into this the better off you'll be. Since this is a really ambitious project it should end up as big as a small novel with a table of contents.
Actually I had planned on doing something like that once I have something solid.

Also everyone who's interested, remember to check back on the wiki link every once and awhile, I've updated it a few times since posting it here.
Old 2010-02-18, 19:05   Link #10
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

I've been going nuts at work to finish a project, let me read over things, sleep for a while, and then I will elaborate on some of my previous post.

you have a good foundation. Its mainly those gruesome realities of what you are looking to accomplish vs what resources you have or can acquire.

as for teaching, not too much of an issue to show you some things, i used to teach fundamentals of game design and some related classes before I left academia...
Old 2010-02-18, 19:23   Link #11
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyghtblade View Post

you have a good foundation. Its mainly those gruesome realities of what you are looking to accomplish vs what resources you have or can acquire.
I'm well aware of how difficult this will probably be to carry out. I'm not even expecting it to take off, but might as well do something or else nothing will happen at all.

I'm not sure what I want to learn for game development, but I need some sort of skill for working on this so I have some work to show to people who may possibly be interested, and so that I'm not making everyone else do all the work while I sit on it. Perhaps you have a suggestion for where I could start?
Old 2010-02-18, 20:01   Link #12
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I'm well aware of how difficult this will probably be to carry out. I'm not even expecting it to take off, but might as well do something or else nothing will happen at all.

I'm not sure what I want to learn for game development, but I need some sort of skill for working on this so I have some work to show to people who may possibly be interested, and so that I'm not making everyone else do all the work while I sit on it. Perhaps you have a suggestion for where I could start?
well game design is a broad term. some people as in my case are generalists in the field, meaning i could work for a game company, doing one of several positions, or jump to a software firm and make business apps, or even run an IT dept, like i'm doing now.

if you know you way around photoshop or are handy with traditional mediums you are already on your way.
Old 2010-02-18, 20:27   Link #13
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyghtblade View Post
well game design is a broad term. some people as in my case are generalists in the field, meaning i could work for a game company, doing one of several positions, or jump to a software firm and make business apps, or even run an IT dept, like i'm doing now.

if you know you way around photoshop or are handy with traditional mediums you are already on your way.
I know how to use photoshop to a certain degree but I'm not proficient with it, I don't know how to do any of the fancy effects that I see in some people's sigs.
Old 2010-03-01, 03:45   Link #14
Lizzie
Resident tsundere.

Bump for relevant and important info.

First of all check out the link in the first post, I've changed a lot of things. It's still a bit scatter brained right now though.

I've spent the last few weeks trying out different things and mulling over stuff. I've tried the supposedly simple to use RPGmaker XP. It's simple to use if you want to use it's pre-existing resources but trying to script in things like a custom battle system made me want to eat my own legs. Thus I've opted to use game maker for the time being, I know people who've done codework in gamemaker on a regular basis who -claim- they'll do the codework for me once I've gotten all the art resources done. I'm not counting on them to keep to that though, but hey, having art resources done won't be a bad thing.

I had honestly considered going to 3D but that'd take an entire team to work on and honestly I don't think I could get such a team together, if you think otherwise feel free to say so but I think for now I'll limit the project to 2D. The problem now comes that I'm trying to decide between the original top down view I was aiming for and isometric view.

I also now have a story concept up, it's small, rough, and still needs a lot of development.

As always, everything on the wikipage is still in concept stages, nothing in set in stone yet.