AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-05-16, 18:51   Link #1001
ellifeedn
Thinker

I'm rather interested in this "way/path of magic" they were talking about in this chapter. Is learning magic supposed to turn witches into, in a very loose sense, violent sociopaths?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 19:38   Link #1002
animekritik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I'm rather interested in this "way/path of magic" they were talking about in this chapter. Is learning magic supposed to turn witches into, in a very loose sense, violent sociopaths?
Apparently it at least gives them an appetite for destruction. Which I guess makes sense, because even relatively sweet witches like Eruka are filled with glee when stuff blows up.
Old 2009-05-17, 07:55   Link #1003
lmd_84

If so, things start to make a bit more sense regarding Shinigami's treatment of witches both now and pre-Shibusen. If Death wanted to keep order, then it stands to reason that he disliked and wanted to eliminate a race of people who were predisposed to chaos and destruction. Eruka's comment actually puts a slightly different spin on it: she states that as she likes destruction, it's a good job she's a witch. Whereas Kim's explanation would perhaps have it the other way around: Eruka likes destruction because she's a witch of the common variety.

As it is, I'm a little concerned about Kim's point of essentially medicating Angela against the way of magic. It makes it sound as though witches who have such instincts are somehow unable to resist them. It's fair enough for a young child like Angela to perhaps act on a whim - especially where Mifune's death is concerned - but what of witches in general.

Are we meant to take from this piece of information that witches are, in Okubo's terms, inherently 'bad' barring intervention from the 'good' intentions of Shibusen and people like Kim?
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 11:01   Link #1004
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The way I see it, it is in the nature of a witch to have destructive powers, and use them once she comes to realize it. By using them, their character becomes evil since they're inclined to destruction (somewhat like fat Buu from DBZ). But since Kim is the weird one of the bunch, she can change Angela's environment to a more friendly one, causing her to see her powers in a different way once they manifest. Of course it's still an assumption, I expect Mifune's death to make her unleash waves of fury if she finds out about it.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 17:51   Link #1005
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
Angie WILL find out about it. They can only hide a person's death for so long, unless they play it out to be a case of "he abandoned you" but somehow I'd imagine her to 1) Not believe that or 2) Think it's worse than him dying.
Kirvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 19:45   Link #1006
ellifeedn
Thinker

Some thoughts:

1. How can the power of invisibility be used for destruction?

2. Will we have a "nature vs. nurture" argument about Angela and witches in general?

3. I wonder if the witches we have seen so far are of European descent. If so, what would witches from other parts of the world, like China, be like?

4. I see Angela as similar to Black Star since both were taken in by people who killed their guardians, and it stands to reason that Sid was the one who killed Black Star's father, took Black Star under his wing and raised him. Makes me wonder if Angela will live a life similar to Black Star's.

5. What are the odds for a time skip of several years in this series?
Old 2009-05-17, 20:49   Link #1007
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Kirvee Send a message via MSN to Kirvee Send a message via Yahoo to Kirvee
A time skip would both be slightly annoying but also nice for the plot. I mentioned somewhere (either here or on OM, can't remember) that a time skip would be an ideal way for the influence of Asura's insanity to be shown in full force. Because honestly, it just appeared and it would be extremely crappy for them to come up with a plan in only a short time regarding it. I can see this battle lasting a few years and by then I have a feeling the wavelength would've grown so much in strength that it'd start to spread into normal humans.
Old 2009-05-17, 21:53   Link #1008
animekritik

I think the witches have an appetite for Destruction. From the perspective of Shibusen culture, that's a bad thing. So yeah, from a witch's perspective Angela will be brainwashed by Shibusen into becoming something she wasn't meant to become. And Kim here is the white witch, which is basically the "black sheep" in the witch's community.

I would be so happy if Ohkubo gave us a bit more background on Mabaa and the Witches as a whole!!!!!!!

And let me reiterate my suspicion that Angela is a Gorgon...
Old 2009-05-18, 14:29   Link #1009
lmd_84

Why do you suspect that? Curious.

@Elifeedn - Well, I'd guess that invisibility is only part of Angela's abilities, as transformation is for Medusa and Eruka. I would like Angela's presence to create a debate about the nature of witches, because I think there are definitely questions there, especially if we're to believe what we're being told about the 'appetite' for destruction.

I think there could be a danger of Angela getting a similar treatment to Black Star due to her background. It'd be an opportunity to see what the people of Death City actually think of witches. The few students reaction to Kim suggests that not all are prejudiced against them, but it remains to be seen what the prevailing view is.
lmd_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 16:46   Link #1010
Kirvee
SoulxMaka Fangirl

@kritik: A Gorgon? She seems a bit too young to be the third sister.....I'd imagine the third sister to be closer to Arachne and Medusa's age.
Old 2009-05-18, 18:31   Link #1011
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

I want Angela to be the daughter of the queen witch, imagine a girl with that much power inside her being unleashed at bursts of fury over Mifune's death, her anger could be a different arc in entirety.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 22:23   Link #1012
ragweed
woah woah!

i really doubt angela is the third gorgon
ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 23:03   Link #1013
Kotobasuu
OCD Cowgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kotobasuu Send a message via MSN to Kotobasuu
While I think Angela being the third gorgon highly unlikely, i don't think we should rule it out. I mean, if someone posted that they thought Justin was BJ's killer months ago, I'm pretty sure most people would be like wtf no, and then..

Heck I think it was enough of a shock to see Soul get backstory 56 chapters in, so I think its absolutely fine to make predictions more out there and unlikely than previously.
Kotobasuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-18, 23:48   Link #1014
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Eh, I cant say that I would be too fond of Angela being the third Gorgon sister, but I do like the idea of her inevitable fall to the sway of magic and becoming an enemy of Shibusen.

Now I'm going to have to ask... what's next? Okubo wasted no time getting back into the meat of things right after the Baba Yaga arc, and now the most recent chapter puts a whole new slew of questions for me to wonder about for a month. Justin's motivesand backstory, his connection with Noah, Medusa's next move, Kid's fate, and the Shibusen's Young Elite Unit. He promised new development in the next chapter, so I can't wait to sink my teeth into that.

I don't want to make too many predictions, since Okubo has shot all of them to the ground in the past. I just want to say that I believe Justin wasn't always a worshipper of the Kishin, and he only recently became a victim of the madness. There's no way Giriko is dead either, as I don't see why Justin would purposely hunt himdown in Baga Yaga Castle just to kill him... it's not like he would pose much of a threat to anyone. The only thing I can see is that Giriko is now going to be a pawn of the madness, much as Justin has become. He has nowhere else to go right now, so why not?

Angela's presence does interest me, throwing her into Shibusen can really shake things up, and help us learn more aboutt he Witches themselves and what Shibusen really thinks of them as lmd84 said.

A time skip would also be an intersting turn for the manga to take, and it's probably one of my favorite ideas as of right now.
Old 2009-05-19, 03:42   Link #1015
animekritik

I have no evidence whatsoever for Angela being a Gorgon. It's just a hunch. That said, Angela being Mabaa's daughter, or granddaughter, would be pretty neat. It would mean the future political leader of the witches is in Shibusen's hands..
Old 2009-05-19, 14:30   Link #1016
ellifeedn
Thinker

^ You're just saying that you have a feeling that Angela will have an important part.
Old 2009-05-19, 17:05   Link #1017
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I wonder if Angela's presence will help the Kishin get a hold of Shibusen. Since witches are drawn to destruction, does that mean that they in turn draw destruction to themselves?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 17:44   Link #1018
BigGimp77

IDK about Angela. My Guess would be she won't play a small role unless there is a time skip. The Sway of Destruction wouldn't seem to effect her at such a young age. The only way I can see her becoming a factor is if Medusa manipulates her some way.

I defiantly didn't expect Marie to be that type of weapon. I was leaning more towards what she was in the Anime
BigGimp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-19, 18:52   Link #1019
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGimp77 View Post
I defiantly didn't expect Marie to be that type of weapon. I was leaning more towards what she was in the Anime
I think that goes for everyone here, her name kinda gives away hammer

altho I found it a pleasant surprise and pretty cool, if she had a twin sister would be awesome to see Kidd dual wield.......and the fact theres a twin!!!
Old 2009-05-21, 13:22   Link #1020
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I think that goes for everyone here, her name kinda gives away hammer

altho I found it a pleasant surprise and pretty cool, if she had a twin sister would be awesome to see Kidd dual wield.......and the fact theres a twin!!!
Wait, Marie has a twin? Or was this hopeful speculation, I don't remember reading anything to suggest she does...
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen