AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 72 47.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 38.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 9.87%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.66%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.66%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-16, 22:10   Link #41
Lumir

This ep was simply outstanding. The fight scenes were well played, even the style was well animated. It was quite intresting to learn that Teressa's advantage was being a master at detecting the flow of yoma power. This in itself allows her to detect attacks/movements and act accordingly.

As we all saw the 2-5 power up at the end, i think, though Terresa can detect their movements she wont be able to keep up unless she unleashes her own yoma powers. Its going to be intresting. *Gose to watch the ep again*
Old 2007-05-17, 01:05   Link #42
4Tran

I'm very much not an action fan, but I think that this episode was very good. In particular, the banter between Sophia and Noel was very well done and the action sequences had a sense of dynamics that's sort of uncommon nowadays. The new characters work out pretty well. And it comes as no surprise that Hisakawa Aya did an excellent job voicing Priscilla. I even liked Irene even though I'm not particularly fond of her archetype.

I'm still impressed by how much I've been enjoying Claymore despite not being a fan of the genre. (I didn't even like Berserk.)
Old 2007-05-17, 03:34   Link #43
Adam E
Riskbreaker

I gave this episode a 10/10.

Music was good, animation was great, the fighting scenes were intense. Best episode of Claymore yet. Also, Eclipse did a great job subbing the episode.
Old 2007-05-17, 04:03   Link #44
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

MADHOUSE is being top-notch in keeping up with my expectations. The only reason I m giving an 8 for this episode is because i know there will be episodes which will deserve 10 more than this. Its a stupid analogy but i guess if u have read the manga..u cant help but feel like me.

12 volumes have been scantalated. I can assure u, there is not a time it feels boring. As for the anime, till now there has been no complaining point what so ever. Lets hope MADHOUSE keeps the level of work it has been doing.

CLAYMORE FTW ^_^
Old 2007-05-17, 04:20   Link #45
Afuro Kamen

phew, its getting more intense and interesting. this episode totally awesome. Nice fighting sequence.

Madhouse did a nice job when all the four Claymore release their power. Especially Priscilla. The effects was superb, beyond what I've imagined while reading the manga.

And Teresa didn't even release her power yet.
Old 2007-05-17, 04:56   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
MADHOUSE is being top-notch in keeping up with my expectations. The only reason I m giving an 8 for this episode is because i know there will be episodes which will deserve 10 more than this. Its a stupid analogy but i guess if u have read the manga..u cant help but feel like me.
Amusing. That makes two people who refused to give this episode a 10 simply because they have already read the manga and feel that if this was a 10, then they'd have to make 10 higher to rate future episodes.

Now if only these people could find words instead of numbers to express this feeling I'd be much happier. I'm not thrilled watching numerical ratings dumb down conversation in this way. In order to raise the conversational level I'll add that I know what toxic_trance means. So far this show has been exciting and emotionally touching, but it hasn't yet reached the level of the show it is constantly being compared to -- Berserk. If we are going to reach that level of greatness, then we're going to have to change the expectations that make people consider this episode a pinacle. Berserk had many episodes which were as good as this one or better. So obviously, this was not the best possible episode.

Let's not set our sights for greatness as low as this episode provides. Let us wish for even more. Let this be just the first taste of how good Claymore can really be as it continues to improve until the finale.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-17, 05:43   Link #47
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't really understand all that Berserk love. I couldn't stand to watch more of a few episodes of that, or read more than a few pages (admittedly, I'd probably have given it more of a chance if I hadn't hated the anime).

Claymore, though, I can watch. And read. With great pleasure.
Old 2007-05-17, 06:38   Link #48
HinaThePrince

I haven't watched or read Berserk yet, but I do think that constantly comparing Claymore to it and judging it by Berserk's standards is not only irritating but also pointless. Claymore and Berserk are their own shows. So they both have people with bigass swords killing monsters - just HOW many shounen shows have that?! It's just the basis, Claymore's plot and characters develop their own way, just as Berserk's do.
Old 2007-05-17, 06:52   Link #49
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
This episode is awsome.. the next episode should be even better though. I actually think that Priscilla releasing her power Yoma power will put her at a disadvantage. Teresa's special ability is reading the flow of Yoma power, but she had a hard time with Priscilla because of that.. now with Priscilla releasing her power makes it much easier for Teresa to face her. Think about how much harder it would be for Teresa to face a Priscilla she couldn't read and 3 who she could.. instead she will face 4 she can read easily.
In the words of Kenichi, even if you could see the attack, does not mean you could avoid it.

A full power Priscilla will give teresa huge blocking problems. Priscilla's speed is already starting to match teresa. Teresa should have focus on killing 3-5 first to stand a chance. Now her hesitation will definitely cost her life.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:03   Link #50
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You forget that Teresa hasn't released her power yet either. So it's not like she's come anywhere close to her limits.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:06   Link #51
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Action packed ep for sure, but I'm not a huge fan of this style of action, where actual fighting is substituted for effects and blur lines and stuff like that. Sort of cheapens the whole thing, IMO. Oh well, I'm not really an action fan to begin with.

The whole ranking system behind the Claymore organization was very shounen-anime-esque, but I did dig the competitive banter between the characters. Unfortunately, that's all there is to these new Claymores so far, rankings and very skeletal personalities and abilities. At least they're not Yoma, but it means that Teresa's antagonists are very flat, which kills a lot of the drama which is supposed to come with the action. I guess in a sense they exist to highlight the difference between the standard Claymore and Teresa with her new outlook on life, but I still object to antagonists that aren't properly fleshed out, just because it's something that really jades me and I always consider the mark of a mediocre action series.

Not as good as last week's ep, but I suppose just like ep 2, this is just a chapter in a much larger story.
Old 2007-05-17, 07:18   Link #52
IMSabbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinaThePrince View Post
I haven't watched or read Berserk yet, but I do think that constantly comparing Claymore to it and judging it by Berserk's standards is not only irritating but also pointless. Claymore and Berserk are their own shows. So they both have people with bigass swords killing monsters - just HOW many shounen shows have that?! It's just the basis, Claymore's plot and characters develop their own way, just as Berserk's do.
Sorry, but you cant say that, because you told us right now you never watched or read berserk (which really isnt something to be proud of, either).
(not that i agree with those comparisons, but your post was also uncalled for (any berserk references in this thread?))
Old 2007-05-17, 07:19   Link #53
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

This episode was outstanding. Finally i understand what the people in the old claymore thread meant when they said the story would pick up when the teresa arc came along. This episode was amazing, both in animation quality and in excitement. Its been a long time since i prayed as much for the end of the episode to not be the end XD
Old 2007-05-17, 08:05   Link #54
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You forget that Teresa hasn't released her power yet either. So it's not like she's come anywhere close to her limits.
You and I know she is a goner even if she releases her power. Against all 4 at full power, she is dead (at least thats where the story is going). Dont know how many will she take down with her though.
Old 2007-05-17, 08:06   Link #55
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir
It was quite intresting to learn that Teressa's advantage was being a master at detecting the flow of yoma power. This in itself allows her to detect attacks/movements and act accordingly.

As we all saw the 2-5 power up at the end, i think, though Terresa can detect their movements she wont be able to keep up unless she unleashes her own yoma powers. Its going to be intresting. *Gose to watch the ep again*
I would think that it's more than just her unparalleled ability to detect the flow of youki that makes Teresa Number One. She is clearly a superior fighter in her own right, capable of outwitting and outmatching even Priscilla, who fights with her youki fully suppressed. Teresa probably lags behind Irene, Sophia and Noel only very slightly in their respective areas of expertise, and makes up for it (and then some) with her own inherent advantage.

Personally? I think it's not just inherent skills that makes Teresa so powerful -- she is quite possibly smarter and far more experienced than all four of the others as well. Four against one? Psh-psh. Don't underestimate Teresa just yet.

As for rating this episode, I find myself agreeing Sorrow-K actually. Action alone is not what makes a series great, and while this episode is definitely a good-looker, it lacks the emotional impact of the previous episode, so it's 8/10 from me.

Hmmm....but I highly suspect that the next episode will turn things around though.
Old 2007-05-17, 08:12   Link #56
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

*chuckles* Now I see the 'other side of the fence' in this one. We have gotten a rare look into 'the portrayed villian' side.

Priscilla did remind me a LOT of a lot of the typical shounen hero-esque types. She's young, idealistic, and very strong. So much so that she gets promoted to #2 within just a few months. Typical story arc of most hero types - they become insanely strong within a fraction of the time and they do their best to uphold the 'values' they believe in. Then she was sent after a traitor considered to be the strongest Claymore ever at that time. Heck, she even gave Teresa a 'justice speech'! I was lol'ing for a minute there, especially with Teresa's response back to her, which really made her out to be a villian to Priscilla.

I wasn't really intruguied by Priscilla's character before but this episode really made me think about that little sprite differently.

Irene is a gem. I love her - auto ranking in my book is already top 5. The way she can understand how people work is very good - her perception is top-notch.
Old 2007-05-17, 08:26   Link #57
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
You and I know she is a goner even if she releases her power. Against all 4 at full power, she is dead (at least thats where the story is going). Dont know how many will she take down with her though.
What you and I know is that she's not with Clare anymore. And that Clare became a Claymore.

Irene said it herself. Without Priscilla, no matter how many Claymores they gathered, she wouldn't want to face Theresa. So the only question that remains is "Is Priscilla, with her released power and her three almost negligible allies, good enough to get Theresa?" Answer next episode.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-17 at 17:04. Reason: deleted pretend spoiler
Old 2007-05-17, 08:27   Link #58
Child_of_Sierra

Really good episode. The fights are definitely improving in terms of animation.

What I liked most about it is that Irene (No.2) was very businesslike in her treatment of their mission. She was not about to let the show turn on a 1on1 fight and instead decided that "teamwork" is much better against a strong opponent. What a refreshing idea that is considering this is shounen. (where people are supposed to get cocky thinking that if they just try and persevere then a fight can be won.)
===
(okay, okay that might have been too harsh on the genre or I have been reading/watching all the wrong series until now )
Old 2007-05-17, 10:16   Link #59
Mithinco
Laughing Anime

Amazing. Their fighting skills are just amazing!
Old 2007-05-17, 14:29   Link #60
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

As much as i would love commenting on this thread but i m too scared of revealing spoilers. Anyway..the animation of the fighting is good no doubt...but i want more i guess. Maybe because the manga is filled with it. I think the next episode might fill my appetite. Let us see how they pace the series after that. Because it still doesnt seem that they will be able to complete the series if it is a 26 episode one

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-17 at 17:08. Reason: very minor spoiler
Closed Thread