AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-22, 23:42   Link #1681
james0246

^To be fair, Presidential candidates since the early 70s to the mid 90s all vowed to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of Pakistan, but when their weapons were finally revealed (as well as the probability that they had had such weapons since the 80s), no great war was fought, and I expect whomever wins will follow a similar agenda of bluster without bite toward Iran (whether Israel wishes us to or not).
Old 2012-10-23, 00:06   Link #1682
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Of course someone who flips flops on everything can say things to make himself look good.
So true.

Romney changes his views more than a mom changes her baby's diapers. He pretty much turned himself into those multi-face creatures you can only see in fantasy movies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^To be fair, Presidential candidates since the early 70s to the mid 90s all vowed to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of Pakistan, but when their weapons were finally revealed (as well as the probability that they had had such weapons since the 80s), no great war was fought, and I expect whomever wins will follow a similar agenda of bluster without bite toward Iran (whether Israel wishes us to or not).
Iran is different. Pakistan's problem has been with India, whereas Iran's problem is with Israel. So the moment the weapons are there, the threat is real. Not like Pakistan, where it is likely that the organizations in control of those weapons are also controlled by US (or other countries) to some extent.

The problem with Romney is that, he is similar to Bush, so that he can easily be ridden to engage a war, even though the facts are not in place. So, he may not have the patience to wait for Iran. Whether that is a good thing or not, that is for the people to decide, not that many cares...
Old 2012-10-23, 00:29   Link #1683
flying ^

Quote:
No real mention of the EUs problems, no mention of South America or most of Africa
Romney gave a small shoutout to EU and is best summed up with 1 proper noun... Greece! It was mentioned in "what is America's role in the world?" segment and in the closing. If you're EU-ian and you think you felt slighted... at least take this as a consolation prize.

Romney also mentioned South/Latin America... as a missed opportunity for U.S. for not getting in the game early:

Quote:
I will get America working again and see rising take-home pay again, and I'll do it with five simple steps.

Number one, we are going to have North American energy independence. We're going to do it by taking full advantage of oil, coal, gas, nuclear and our renewables.

Number two, we're going to increase our trade. Trade grows about 12 percent year. It doubles about every -- every five or so years. We can do better than that, particularly in Latin America. The opportunities for us in Latin America we have just not taken advantage of fully. As a matter of fact, Latin America's economy is almost as big as the economy of China. We're all focused on China. Latin America is a huge opportunity for us -- time zone, language opportunities.

Number three, .......

Africa - meh... let the Hollywood types deal with this.
Old 2012-10-23, 00:31   Link #1684
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Greek-Americans appear to be getting annoyed at Romney's "go to example" - especially when Spain and several other countries are in worse shape. Not a biggie but he's alienating the Greek-American vote. So it goes ...
Old 2012-10-23, 01:34   Link #1685
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Sadly I was too sick and tired to live blog this event today. But I managed to watch the debate after I woke up and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. I thought the third and last presidential debate was a clear win for the President. He displayed the authority of the nation’s Commander-in-Chief: He was calm, dignified, and confident. He explained to a clueless Mitt Romney the way the world actually works.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-10-23, 01:59   Link #1686
Mentar
Banned

Say, has there ever been a candidate in American politics who changes his position as brazenly as Romney depending on what he (or his campaign handlers) thinks what the majority of his viewers wants to hear?

This guy isn't merely a compulsive liar, he's demonstrably a total fraud without a trace of a core of conviction, and everyone with a quarter of a brain would have to realize this. He's willing and able to switch his positions to the total opposite in no time, to and fro.

If America elects someone like him anyway, they deserve whatever calamity is going to befall them afterwards.
Old 2012-10-23, 02:15   Link #1687
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been trying to work out how it might go if Romney 'wins' (by whatever means) but Congress flips to both House and Senate being Democrat. That isn't entirely unlikely given the current trends.
Old 2012-10-23, 02:33   Link #1688
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Say, has there ever been a candidate in American politics who changes his position as brazenly as Romney depending on what he (or his campaign handlers) thinks what the majority of his viewers wants to hear?

This guy isn't merely a compulsive liar, he's demonstrably a total fraud without a trace of a core of conviction, and everyone with a quarter of a brain would have to realize this. He's willing and able to switch his positions to the total opposite in no time, to and fro.

If America elects someone like him anyway, they deserve whatever calamity is going to befall them afterwards.
That's really where I stand too. The only way Romney can be POTUS is if the voting population really deserved him as their ruler. This is not an election to decide the future of America; this is an election to find out if Democracy in the country actually worked or not.
Old 2012-10-23, 02:38   Link #1689
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Given the status of the "electronic voting machines", questionable election officials, blatant attempts at voter suppression (Oh, darn we printed the wrong date on those furren language ballots, shucks!, Darn if we didn't lose all those registrations in a dumpster, etc etc etc) -- even after its over we may not be sure the voters "deserved" who they got.
Old 2012-10-23, 03:35   Link #1690
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
If the calamity would limit themself to America I might have to agree but, given the US's influence on the world, the impact of this election will impact on everyone, not jut for the US.

Romney praises Obama foreign policy rather than burying it
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89M0A620121023
Old 2012-10-23, 04:39   Link #1691
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Given the status of the "electronic voting machines", questionable election officials, blatant attempts at voter suppression (Oh, darn we printed the wrong date on those furren language ballots, shucks!, Darn if we didn't lose all those registrations in a dumpster, etc etc etc) -- even after its over we may not be sure the voters "deserved" who they got.
Then that's not the fault of democracy but of a failed judiciary system. A country that ignores its own laws cannot stand. But once again, this is up to the public to decide.

A little under 50% of voters now pretty much going to vote Romney despite knowing everything he is saying is a lie. They don't care because they assume Romney is "secretly the candidate they wanted", he just can't show it. This kind of thinking is really faith based, that Romney Works in Mysterious Ways, so everything would allegedly work out even though no one knows what he stands for.
Old 2012-10-23, 04:51   Link #1692
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
If the calamity would limit themself to America I might have to agree but, given the US's influence on the world, the impact of this election will impact on everyone, not jut for the US.

Romney praises Obama foreign policy rather than burying it
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89M0A620121023
He is playing the "magnimous" card to pull some supporters to his side. Lovely.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-23, 08:09   Link #1693
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Then that's not the fault of democracy but of a failed judiciary system. A country that ignores its own laws cannot stand. But once again, this is up to the public to decide.

A little under 50% of voters now pretty much going to vote Romney despite knowing everything he is saying is a lie. They don't care because they assume Romney is "secretly the candidate they wanted", he just can't show it. This kind of thinking is really faith based, that Romney Works in Mysterious Ways, so everything would allegedly work out even though no one knows what he stands for.
And from my research and own experience in talking to self-identified conservatives -- Romney "isn't the black guy". I'm not saying thats all the rank and file GOP voter motivation but golly gosh its what seems to bubble up after I brush away the superficial reasons.

(awaits upsurge in racial and zealot hate-crime/terror type nonsense after election).
Old 2012-10-23, 12:06   Link #1694
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Not really. Put it Bush on the ticket one more time, and he would still get close to 50%, despite his record. Put Clinton there, he would also get something close to 50%. Only a small percent care about what is going on, and the rest will always find an excuse to vote for his guy or to not vote for the other. The sad result of having only two competing parties.
Old 2012-10-23, 12:56   Link #1695
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

BBC poll: Rest of world favours Obama

Quote:
A BBC World Service opinion poll has found sharply higher overseas approval ratings for US President Barack Obama than Republican challenger Mitt Romney.

An average of 50% favoured Mr Obama, with 9% for Mr Romney, in the survey of 21,797 people in 21 countries.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20008687

Old 2012-10-23, 13:06   Link #1696
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

^That doesn't surprise me at all and I'm glad. Obama, to me, is the best out of the two by a longshot... and considering Obama is even further right than our own right even still, Romney is like astronomically farther to the right.

Seriously, Romney, and pretty much any other Radical Republican, comes across as fictional villains to me. Which is great for writing inspiration until I realize people actually vote for him in reality.

Old 2012-10-23, 13:09   Link #1697
Skane
Anime Snark

Pakistan must really want you guys to implode from the inside.

Old 2012-10-23, 13:13   Link #1698
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They have resentment towards Obama for invading their country to take out Osama.
Old 2012-10-23, 13:35   Link #1699
james0246

LOL, Why do Kenya and Nigeria like Romney so much (well, more than most countries)? In fact, Kenya is where Romney is liked the most out of all the nations surveyed . Does Romney donate a lot to African relief efforts?
Old 2012-10-23, 13:58   Link #1700
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
LOL, Why do Kenya and Nigeria like Romney so much (well, more than most countries)? In fact, Kenya is where Romney is liked the most out of all the nations surveyed . Does Romney donate a lot to African relief efforts?
Isn't most if not all the money he give to ''charity'' to go to the mormon church ?