AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-31, 08:06   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Towa no Kuon (BONES)

Towa no Quon

Official Site: http://www.towanoquon.com/

Director: Umanosuke Iida
Assistant Director: Takeshi Mori
Series Composition: Saizo Nemoto

Character Design/Animation Director: Toshihiro Kawamoto
Conceptual Design: Shingo Takeba, Yutaka Izubuchi
Bestia Design: Kenji Mizuhata
Art Design: Iho Narita, Takashi Aoi
Design Works: Tsunenori Saito, Takeshi Yoshioka, Fumihiro Katagai, Makoto Kamata
Action Supervisor: Yutaka Nakamura

Color Setting: Nobuko Mizuta
Art Director: Kuniaki Nemoto
Director of Photography: Toru Fukushi, Toshiya Kimura
3DCG Production/Monitor Graphics: SANZIGEN

Music: Kenji Kawai

Sound Director: Kazuhiro Wakabayashi
Sound Effects: Shizuo Kurahashi
Editing: Kengo Shigemura

Animation Production: BONES

From the looks of the setting and art, and the staff listed, this might well be the big 2011 original title from BONES' B Studio. At least now we know why Nakamura stopped animating Star Driver after ep1.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-director-iida

Quote:
The February issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Gundam Ace magazine reports that the anime studio BONES is producing an anime called Towa no Kuon. The director was Umanosuke Iida (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Hellsing), who passed away in November. Takeshi Mori is serving as the "collaborative director" in Iida's place, and Saizo Nemoto (Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho: Tou 2nd Act, Shangri-La script writer) is supervising the scripts.

Gundam 0083 and Cowboy Bebop's Toshihiro Kawamoto is designing the characters and overseeing the animation process. Yutaka Izubuchi (Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Gundam 0080, Patlabor) is credited for the concept designs, while his frequent collaborator Shingo Takeba (Gasaraki, RahXephon, Patlabor WXIII) is also credited for "design works."

BONES aims to finish the first episode by next summer. While Gundam Ace has not provided specifics on the anime's story, it does present several sketches that Iida drew himself drew of an alternate-dimension gate and other elements.

Spoiler for Scans:

Last edited by duckroll; 2011-02-26 at 05:46. Reason: Added complete credits from the official site
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 08:15   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

An alternate-dimension gate x BONES show? Count me in.
Old 2010-12-31, 09:16   Link #3
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Okay, Yutapon is on the list, so it's a must watch now. On the other hand, I'm not too familiar with Nemoto. I see he worked on Shangri-La, which, by the first episode, had some serious pacing issues with really long exposition sequences that had a LOT of text dialogue. Then again, he hasn't worked on that particular episode, and I'm not sure if the series picked up afterwards. And I see he also worked on Durarara!!, which was definitely okay. Guess there's no actual room for alarm or anything and I'm just overthinking it.

Besides, who cares. It's a show with Yutapon AND the little tidbit of the setting we got sounds like it could be interesting. To make it perfect they just need to announce they're getting Oshima again to score it. I'm missing her stuff already and she's one of those composers who really just clicks well with BONES' shows.

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2010-12-31 at 09:28.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 09:21   Link #4
Sanger Zonvolt
Sword That Cleaves Evil

Everything points to a mecha series, hoping for that.

Star Driver doesn't really do it for me at the moment.
Old 2010-12-31, 13:36   Link #5
ZODDGUTS

Hope it's better than their last several shows. Xamd was pretty good though until the final part.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 03:36   Link #6
DangerMouse

Ah there you are Kawamoto been waiting for more from you , and scifi/alt dimension gate theme-style Bones, looking forward to this.

Ooh yeah, you read my mind, would love for another score from Oshima love her music and the scores for FMA and Xam'd matched and added to the atmosphere and action so perfectly, you're right they really mesh well.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2011-01-01 at 22:26.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 11:01   Link #7
Grim_Reaper

Great news. Can't wait to see this.
Grim_Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 10:00   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

It will be 6 part film

Edit: Scan

Spoiler for Scan:

Last edited by RRW; 2011-01-22 at 10:31.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 12:43   Link #9
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

So that means we'll probably be getting some Yutapon movie-quality scenes? Good lord, I'm sold.
Old 2011-01-22, 13:56   Link #10
duckroll
綺羅星★!

6-part "film" I guess. It sounds like Kara no Kyoukai to me. I doubt it's really 6 films of theatrical length, but rather a high budget OVA which they want to release in a theatrical format to make more money rather than just home video sales...
Old 2011-01-22, 17:41   Link #11
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

What the hell does the main have on his hair? 6-part film sounds good. Worried about the long time between release dates though.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 06:57   Link #12
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Spoiler for Another scan:

The art reminds me a little of Cyborg 009...
Old 2011-01-24, 18:12   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Spoiler for Another scan:

The art reminds me a little of Cyborg 009...
I was going to say Galaxy Express 999, funnily enough - though Leiji Matsumoto's character designs look quite a bit like Shotaro Ishinomori's. Whatever, that image has an extremely retro look.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 19:23   Link #14
TJR

Quote:
6-part "film" I guess. It sounds like Kara no Kyoukai to me. I doubt it's really 6 films of theatrical length, but rather a high budget OVA which they want to release in a theatrical format to make more money rather than just home video sales...
Speaking of which, I don't think the theatrical strategy is the savior many producers are hoping for. As far as the otaku market goes, it has only really worked with titles that have a lot of pre-existing hype (super popular IP, continuation of a chart topping TV series, etc.).

They might end up with a number of lavish, big budget flops.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-24, 23:35   Link #15
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Speaking of which, I don't think the theatrical strategy is the savior many producers are hoping for. As far as the otaku market goes, it has only really worked with titles that have a lot of pre-existing hype (super popular IP, continuation of a chart topping TV series, etc.).

They might end up with a number of lavish, big budget flops.
I don't really see how this is the case. The actual "theatrical" strategy here seems to be to make a normal OVA, but to screen it in cinemas before releasing it directly to home video. Nothing really particularly big budget about that. It has proven to be relatively successful for both KnK and Gundam Unicorn too. Basically you can make money twice this way, instead of just once with a direct OVA release.
Old 2011-01-25, 14:35   Link #16
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
I don't really see how this is the case. The actual "theatrical" strategy here seems to be to make a normal OVA, but to screen it in cinemas before releasing it directly to home video. Nothing really particularly big budget about that. It has proven to be relatively successful for both KnK and Gundam Unicorn too. Basically you can make money twice this way, instead of just once with a direct OVA release.
probably not successful with this one consider this one is whole new movie.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 00:20   Link #17
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
probably not successful with this one consider this one is whole new movie.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Towa no Quon is not a theatrical movie. It is a 6 part OVA which is being shown in cinemas before the OVA release. It is exactly the same as KnK.

Anyway the official site it up: http://www.towanoquon.com/
Old 2011-01-26, 01:07   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Nice! I love the 6 hour long movie/OVA format, glad to see it making such a comeback in the last several years. Everything I've seen out of this trend so far has been quite enjoyable and this definitely looks interesting too. Having an extra 30 minutes or more per episode really frees up room to experiment with scripting and pacing and all but forces the creative team to make the most out of each entry. It's one thing to have a couple throwaway episodes in a 13 x 30 format TV series, but start wasting too much time in a 60 minute movie and it's going to look really bad.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 02:34   Link #19
_gallo_

Quote:
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. Towa no Quon is not a theatrical movie. It is a 6 part OVA which is being shown in cinemas before the OVA release. It is exactly the same as KnK.

Anyway the official site it up: http://www.towanoquon.com/
Well perhaps he was hinting at the fact that Towa no Kuon is an original project which nobody has heard about before, whereas KnK and Gundam Unicorn were much more known even before they were first screened, the former due to Typemoon’s involvement the latter because it pertains to the Gundam “brand”.

In this sense Towa no Kuon is riskier as who is producing the short films must convince the audience to go and see them without having much to use as a decoy. That’s what I get from his words.

Personally I think they should try at least. With dvd sales falling over and over, one has to find others, more profitable, business models.

Anyway, when I looked at the first scan I thought of something similar to Toward the Terra, but I agree that the design is reminiscent of Ishinomori after the second drawing. Well, maybe Takeshi more loves the retro style, as he directed the magnificent Skullman for Bones in 2007, which was based on Ishinomori’s manga and had a retro flavor. From the image on the website this looks an up to date Ryū no michi :P
Overall it doesn’t seem bad, even if I don’t particularly like the evolution of Kawamoto’s style. :/

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 03:17   Link #20
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Oh, if he meant that it would be riskier because this is an original production, then yes I agree completely. But original productions is also what I love BONES for the most, so I'm pretty excited from an artistic viewpoint, although it's definitely a harder path for them commercially.

Tags
bones, kawamoto, mecha, nakamura