AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-27, 03:17   Link #281
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Strange and amusing. Very different from K-On. The pace, the rhythms, the story, the characters. The yuri. Still yuri lite, but much more yuri-ish than K-On. And more enjoyable, for me -- even if the voices aren't as good. Nice beach episode. No classic, but a good show.

The closer comparison with K-On was A Channel, which appeared in the same manga magazine. Yuruyuri is based on a manga from an actual yuri manga mag.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-07-27 at 12:37.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 05:45   Link #282
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Oh come on, how can you guys compare this to K-on. K-on has four (+1 later, but originally four) individual girls as main character, while here we only have three main characters, and in a quite triangle relationship (or 8 if you count the Student Council casts). The dynamic therefore is completely different
Old 2011-07-27, 05:55   Link #283
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Oh come on, how can you guys compare this to K-on. K-on has four (+1 later, but originally four) individual girls as main character, while here we only have three main characters, and in a quite triangle relationship (or 8 if you count the Student Council casts). The dynamic therefore is completely different
Ah, ignorance is absolute bliss~ Who was that red-haired person that had...that thing...at that place?

Also, you forgot to mention the creation of an after-school club that involves drinking lots of tea and the subtle (and sometimes much less subtle) yuri jokes! And Aki Toyosaki! And a strong love for ice cream!

But yeah, how can you seriously compare this to K-On?
Old 2011-07-27, 06:04   Link #284
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Ah, ignorance is absolute bliss~ Who was that red-haired person that had...that thing...at that place?

Also, you forgot to mention the creation of an after-school club that involves drinking lots of tea and the subtle (and sometimes much less subtle) yuri jokes! And Aki Toyosaki! And a strong love for ice cream!

In my defense, green tea and black tea are not the same species.

And why K-on played down Mugi x Ritsu date, and Mio's jealousy of Ritsu boyfriend. Here we have girls constantly kissing (in Chitose fantasy) and in intimate moments (again...in Chitose fantasy) where yuri flag is triggered every 2.15 seconds (in Chito... oh wait this one is valid).
Old 2011-07-27, 06:06   Link #285
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Simple. To me, Slice of Life began with the Haruhi series. If I'm wrong, I'm still right. (Though, I'd actually be willing to discount Haruhi as Slice of Life, and categorize it as something else).

I see others have noted other series to compare to - BUT - I never bothered to watch them. Therefore, I'm stuck with K-ON as my main comparison.

Quote:
Ah, ignorance is absolute bliss~
Suddenly, I feel happier.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 08:37   Link #286
Preacher

Quote:
People for whom K-On was the first 4koma gag adaptation they seen.
Old 2011-07-27, 10:34   Link #287
tezu

It's funny how people immediately come up with K-On! (2009) when they see four (or eight, in Yuru Yuri's case) cute girls.

The only thing Yuru Yuri has in common with K-On! is the genre and the fact that the four main girls are members of a club (however, unlike in K-On!, they don't eat cake and drink tea while pretending to do something meaningful - they're simply part of an "amusement club"). Otherwise it has a lot more in common with other series such as Azumanga Daioh, Ichigo Mashimaro, Lucky Star, Hidamari Sketch or Kanamemo. And let's not forget that Yuru Yuri's quite a refreshing series with its gags ("A-ka-riiiiin") and character combinations (you don't get to see a lot of tsun vs tsun in other series and even if the characters are archetypes, the clashes between those archetypes are done in a very fun way).

Azumanga Daioh (2002) - mysterious hairstyle (Chiyo and Akari)
Ichigo Mashimaro (2005) - character dynamics (Miu/Chika and Kyoko/Yui)
Ichigo Mashimaro (2005) - "her distinguishing trait is that she doesn't have any distinguishing traits" (Nobue about her sister Chika and obviously, Akarin)
Lucky Star (2007)- shipper on deck as a running gag (Hiyorin and Chitose)
Lucky Star (2007) - otakudom (Kyoko and Konata/Hiyorin)
Hidamari Sketch (2007)- young girl living alone (Yui and the cast of Hidamari)
Hidamari Sketch (2007) - tsunderes hiding their affection under the guise of rivalry (Natsume and Ayano)
Kanamemo (2009) - high yuri level (Yume/Yuki, Haruka, Mika and the entire cast of Yuru Yuri)

(Oh and if you really, really need to bring up the seiyuus as an argument: Yes, Toyosaki Aki might have voiced Yui in K-On!, but she also voiced Kana in Kanamemo. And don't forget Katou Emiri who voiced another tsundere in Lucky Star)

Therefore I am really surprised to find out that some people are still obsessed with the idea that everything moe is a K-On! ripoff. K-On! was a real commercial success and happened to be one of the more recent popular series, I get it, but there's no need to treat it like the beginning of the SoL genre.

Last edited by tezu; 2011-07-27 at 14:15. Reason: typos
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 14:35   Link #288
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher
People for whom K-On was the first 4koma gag adaptation they seen.
I just looooooooooove generalizations. Granted, I make plenty of 'em too (with regards to more serious topics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
It's funny how people immediately come up with K-On! (2009) when they see four (or eight, in Yuru Yuri's case) cute girls.
Right now. K-ON is the benchmark standard in terms of exposure. At least, that is my opinion, coupled with my observation of the Internet the past couple of years mixed with its presence in Anime Saimoe. For the most part, it's been K-ON this. K-ON that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Azumanga Daioh, Ichigo Mashimaro, Lucky Star, Hidamari Sketch or Kanamemo.
All these other things -- they fall below K-ON now. Though, Azumanga was quite the king back in its day. Lucky Star used to be the formula too, but it fell off the way-side rather quickly.

Unfortunately, I've seen none of these. I tried to watch Lucky Star; but I just couldn't. As for Azumanga, I own the manga but never bothered to watch it in anime form, with exception to the Chiyo-dad scenes. For the most part, I was satisfied reading through it.
Old 2011-07-27, 23:25   Link #289
Preacher

Yeah... and Naruto is a standard for all anime then. Since its Naruto this Naruto that all over the internet...

Proudly expressing ignorance is not a good trait.
Old 2011-07-27, 23:44   Link #290
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Proudly expressing ignorance is not a good trait.
Spoiler:

(btw, I'm hella mad) :3

Ignorance for anime is irrelevant. Being a fan for a good 20+ years, that allows me to make such a statement. Oh snap, there goes my elitism. I better stop it. If you want an idea on what I have seen, feel free to click on my sig.

Besides, I'd rather choose Bleach over Naruto. I'd give Naruto a zero chance of viewing. Bleach - I actually stopped @ eps 130. Either way, that's irrelevant too.

When it comes to anime, I'm grossly picky. So, what is relevant?

Why do I tout K-ON? For the record, I'll never watch it again - IF - for some reason, a new season comes out. Then I'll continue from there. K-ON by some miracle did NOT annoy me at all. I don't know why. I don't know how. I actually watched all of it. Wow! In comparison, Lucky Star severely bored the crap out of me. I never made it through one episode. So, anyways, I choose to compare this series to K-ON... because... *drumroll*

Spoiler:

Then, this Yuru Yuri series. Just in the first episode alone, I can point out a few things that annoyed me. I don't really remember them, aside from the creepy older sister room. However, I can cite the Kyouko character as enough to continue on. If she turns out to be lame, then I drop this series; simple as that. Or, some other saving grace may come along. That'll depend on how I feel about it.

Now, if it makes you feel better, I do have Minami-ke on my bucketlist somewheres.
Old 2011-07-27, 23:49   Link #291
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
By the way, this was intended to be sarcastic for anyone who didn't know.

"To each their own". I for one enjoyed K-On and gave up on Bleach/Naruto quickly, but I won't hold anyone over for having a different viewpoint. I wouldn't call it ignorance, I'd call it personal opinion.
Old 2011-07-27, 23:54   Link #292
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
By the way, this was intended to be sarcastic for anyone who didn't know..
I grinned @ your question man.
Old 2011-07-28, 00:11   Link #293
Preacher

Confirms my point. *sigh* I just forget sometimes that on this site, being a stereotypical MAL addict anime normalfag is considered acceptable...

First of all, claiming you have for 20 years watched anime is highly unbelievable combined with your attitude. Second, looking at you MAL list confirms that K-ON is the only show of that type you seen at all. I dont see where you get your "elitist" feeling from, as at best with your listed anime expirience you can be "elitist" only over kids watching anime on TV..

No Ichigo Marshmallow, no Minami-ke, no Azumanga, no Lucky Stars (also dropping Lucky stars is a proof that your expertise in anime is quite low, as its mainly fun because of all the references and parodies only people highly exposed to anime would understand), no Hidamari, no Kanameno, no Scetchbook, no Kamichu!, Hyakko, Manabi Straight! e.t.c. (and COUNTLESS 4koma or "girls daily life" manga yet not animated)

The theme of girls doing nothing or joining some club is old as hell. But you even go as far as say that for you the "club, slice of life" started with.. Haruhi!

Its not about K-On not being a good anime, its about using it as standard to which the new 4koma gag shows about girls are compared... which is plain wrong, especially considering K-On did not introduce so much new things, but just happened to become popular at mainstream public. (btw i highly suggest you play KiraKira visual novel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirakira_(visual_novel)) Both K-On and KiraKira were released in same year. So much about "unique setting and characters of K-ON")

Yuri Yuri is not the greatest show, but its fun enought to keep viewers entertained. Its main difference from K-On is that while K-ON actually is more slice of life manga with focus on development of the characters and their life through high school and later university (in which it is more like Hidamari), YuriYuri is a pure gag manga where characters are just a setup for the gags. The people making the anime are those who worked on Minami-ke (and thats very noticeable in direction, and even soundtrack is very resembling it).
Old 2011-07-28, 00:27   Link #294
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

How about just let it pass? People who refuse to listen, won't bother to listen. Why must turn a good thread into a K-On thread?
Old 2011-07-28, 00:31   Link #295
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
How about just let it pass? People who refuse to listen, won't bother to listen. Why must turn a good thread into a K-On thread?
I was about to post the same advice. If you guys want to bring this discussion ahead, then move to pms or vms. Further posts on the matter will be deleted.
Old 2011-07-28, 02:16   Link #296
Lukeman1884

Sooooooooooooo.................................... .....................Changing the subject, does anyone wanna venture a guess as to what Kyoko's referring to when she asks whether Ayano prefers it "direct" or "indirect"?
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 02:19   Link #297
Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
Sooooooooooooo.................................... .....................Changing the subject, does anyone wanna venture a guess as to what Kyoko's referring to when she asks whether Ayano prefers it "direct" or "indirect"?
erm?... Direct or Indirect Kiss. Direct i.e. normal kiss. Indirect touching with a lips an object someone else lips touched i.e. drinking from a straw or can someone else drank before.

It occurs so often in anime/manga its surprising someone might still not know it

Spoiler for kiss:

Last edited by Preacher; 2011-07-28 at 02:32.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 02:25   Link #298
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The way that scene played out, it didn't sound like a simple kiss AT ALL.
Like I said, Chitose's a champ- she knows what she wants.
Old 2011-07-28, 03:41   Link #299
Lukeman1884

Yeah, and I'm wondering if that piece of watermelon's gonna play a role in whatever she's imagining......................................... ....................................Somehow
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-28, 13:57   Link #300
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

Just watched ep 1->4. This series really impressed me. I didn't think it will be this good. Personally, I don't like K-ON at all. I find it boring as hell. But this is good. This will be my favorite of the season

Tags
comedy, ecchi, seinen, yuri