Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-07, 14:03   Link #1361
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Your idea that the shiki need the blood of living humans for its oxygen seems the best hypothesis to me. The only thing I wonder is how they can last so long (hours? days?) without feeding if the blood in the test tube turned dark so quickly.
That's a good point, and from what I remember from Biology classes in HIGHSCHOOL( lawl), the thing that separates blood in the body and blood outside the body is any type of oxygenating process. In other words, blood in the testtube can't possibly pick up any oxygen elsewhere. But, the blood in the body might have other means of picking up oxygen other than stealing from Human RBCs. Since the Shiki DO go through some kind of physical change, perhaps it is possible they can do what certain animals do --> That is, breathing through the skin. If they can't breathe through the lungs, that's the only other viable option I can think of. Of course, then it would make a little more sense. The breathing through the skin only provides a very minimal source of oxygen for the Shiki blood, and so after a while, it gets depleted, but if Shiki drink the Human blood, they get stored up on oxygen.

Does that make sense?

edit: That would also explain why they have such a strong inclination to drink human blood. Imagine you are in the bottom of the ocean and you're trying to swim to the top to get air. While you're at the bottom in the beginning, you still have oxygen, but as time goes on and you expend energy to get to the top, your oxygen is depleting and you get a sense of urgency, the feeling that you really need air, and just before you think you're going to pass out, you reach the top and you take a great big gasp of air...very satisfying :X
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 14:48   Link #1362
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Your idea that the shiki need the blood of living humans for its oxygen seems the best hypothesis to me. The only thing I wonder is how they can last so long (hours? days?) without feeding if the blood in the test tube turned dark so quickly.
I thought that the shiki needed human blood for its oxygen yes. but i thought they used that oxygen for the body to prevent it decaying so without it they could last only the amount of time it would take their bodies to begin decaying. That could be anywhere from 1 day to a week depending on the environment. Since it's a hot summer they need blood every day or so in order to keep their bodies able to function. After all while we're alive our bodies don't rot, so i thought that's what happened to the Shiki.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 17:25   Link #1363
achirist

I had to fast-forward through the ending of this episode, and then I deleted it. The doctor is a disgusting, ugly, insensitive, idiotic scumbag. I didn't think before that he was this incompetent and unethical; he should be arrested. She was his wife; he should have just talked to her and observed her. She is still a person with rights. People were tried at the hague for this; relativism does not apply.

Last edited by achirist; 2010-11-07 at 17:44.
achirist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 17:49   Link #1364
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirist View Post
I had to fast-forward through the ending of this episode, and then I deleted it. The doctor is a disgusting, ugly, insensitive, idiotic scumbag. I didn't think before that he was this incompetent and unethical; he should be arrested. She was his wife; he should have just talked to her and observed her. She is still a person with rights. People were tried at the hague for this; relativism does not apply.
The doctor is just going through too much emotional stress with this massive shiki-vampire converting thing going around the village. Since he wanted to protect everyone in the village, he thought it would be best if he had atleast 1 "specimen" to work with. Sadly it was his wife, he felt a little blue about it, but dint really care, as long as he finds a way to fight against the vampires. When he saw his wife's face before he stuck the stake in her heart, it showed atleast some emotion in him, it also showed that he wanted to let her rest in peace, instead of suffer the cruel life of being a vampire.

As said in the episode, there are alot of vampires who don't hunt for food, and people have to be taken from the city, also those who disobey will be severely dealt with, Toshio probably dint want his wife to go through all that possibly? But that is a mere speculation.
Old 2010-11-07, 17:53   Link #1365
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
That helped a lot with Yuuki. Oh wait, he died...
Old 2010-11-07, 17:55   Link #1366
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I don't feel as strongly about it as you do, but yeah, this is where I stopped barracking for Toshio.

Sidenote: IMHO, the way the anime scene has been cut makes it more ambiguous. The manga makes sure we know what he thinks about Kyoko and what he's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDoors View Post
The way that I see it is that Shikis have normal-looking blood, however it can not sustain itself or it degrades into the dark version of it after sometime. Therefore they need to drink human blood to regenerate/revert the dark version back into the normal-looking blood. A justification on why they need blood to survive, and no more.
Spoiler for slight spoilers for corresponding manga chapter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
agree with this, but i think there are more mysteries, if it is about survival they can act on their own, why should they follow orders from certain shikis?
Because a certain daywalker has threatened to kill them whilst they are sleeping during the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBourque View Post
I made a blog post about ep 14 so to not repeat myself, those interested should look here, complete with spoiler spaces (and I'm learning how to ensure they stay functional..) included. It's essentially about how I realized the technically living are more dead than the "dead" characters in a lot of cases here, and that seems to be a deliberate artistic device. An interesting one at that.

http://jp.learnoutlive.com/shiki-liv...s-dead-living/
Interesting analysis. I doubt it's the main theme that Ono-sensei (and perhaps Fujisaki-sensei) are working on, much less the only theme, but good observation.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2010-11-07 at 18:29.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 17:55   Link #1367
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
That helped a lot with Yuuki. Oh wait, he died...
Did I miss a certain episode where Yuuki died? When I watched the recent episode, I felt a little "off-track" when they suddenly said Yuuki died.. Was it in the previous episode that I merely just skipped over? I'm not quite sure I understand the way the site I use uploads things..
Old 2010-11-07, 17:57   Link #1368
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Did I miss a certain episode where Yuuki died? When I watched the recent episode, I felt a little "off-track" when they suddenly said Yuuki died.. Was it in the previous episode that I merely just skipped over? I'm not quite sure I understand the way the site I use uploads things..
I believe he died in ep 13. Megumi confirmed it as she was wondering when he was going to rise.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:26   Link #1369
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yep it was in episode 13. How do you miss such a scene?
Old 2010-11-07, 18:31   Link #1370
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yep it was in episode 13. How do you miss such a scene?
Because I didn't want to cry so I haven't watched it yet.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:34   Link #1371
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Because I didn't want to cry so I haven't watched it yet.
If i was taking that approach with Shiki, then i would have missed out on a lot of scenes.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:37   Link #1372
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If i was taking that approach with Shiki, then i would have missed out on a lot of scenes.
I'll watch it after I watch the next episode.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:40   Link #1373
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I'll watch it after I watch the next episode.
That...

nevermind. I shouldn't be saying that at this point.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-11-07, 18:41   Link #1374
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I guess I'll just have to watch 13 before the next episode, and before watching anything else to fill my head on what happened to the character development before 14.
Old 2010-11-07, 18:43   Link #1375
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
That...

nevermind. I shouldn't be saying that at this point.
I'm wimpy at some things. I had a problem with Kimi ni Todoke too for certain episodes.

I was sniffling at the end of ep 12...

Romeo x Juliet was a definite no no for me.
Old 2010-11-07, 22:21   Link #1376
PzIVf3

Is there good chance to revive her heart?
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 22:36   Link #1377
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
I'm wimpy at some things. I had a problem with Kimi ni Todoke too for certain episodes.

There's nothing wrong with that. I tear or actually cry at loads of stories myself, and some of the stories in Shiki are definitely getting to me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Is there good chance to revive her heart?
They might talk about it next episode. If they don't, try the manga.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-11-07, 23:00   Link #1378
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

What good is it to revive her heart? Plus didn't she just get turned into tomato juice?

edit:
Maybe I should elaborate a bit: I personally don't think reviving her heart will do her any good because it seems like Shiki can't breathe to begin with, so even with a heart that helps pump blood throughout your body, if your blood cells aren't oxygenated properly, then cells will start to die out. It's interesting that they have such strong regenerative powers though, which should technically fix the "death of cells" problem. But anyway, I'm going to stick with my own theory for now on the whole blood aspect of it all until I see more from the anime.
miroku2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 02:10   Link #1379
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:

But that show was so sweet.

The incredible Hitoshi Sakimoto music helped a ton. Totally different kind of vibe than this show.

Oh, and maybe you should steer far away from Bokura ga Ita, Full Moon o Sagashite other truly painful shows then.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 03:08   Link #1380
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
But that show was so sweet.

The incredible Hitoshi Sakimoto music helped a ton. Totally different kind of vibe than this show.

Oh, and maybe you should steer far away from Bokura ga Ita, Full Moon o Sagashite other truly painful shows then.
Full Moon wasn't painful. I liked the anime ending. Bokura ga Ita I steered clear of.

Tags
horror, shounen, supernatural, vampire