AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 60 45.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 19.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 19.85%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.87%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-07, 23:08   Link #41
jedinat

My favorite episode so far. I wouldn't mind the whole anime being like this--Lamune with better production values!
Old 2010-11-07, 23:12   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Wow, that sure was a change of pace from the last few eps. The intensity level was turned way down, but it was a welcome break - both from Kirino's obnoxious behavior and the heavy drama. This was like a whole different series - a wistful slice-of-life romance. It's nice to see a show that can pivot that sharply without losing a beat.
Agreed. I also think that this anime needed such a break.

Like yourself, I also think it was important to see Kyousuke in a less high octane/high intensity situation, so that we as the viewers would get a better sense of his more natural personality and demeanor.

As it pertains to him not fully realizing Manami's feelings for him, my sense is that Kyousuke is actually a pretty laid back and low-key sort of guy (the recent situations with Kirino and his dad really taking him out of his comfort zone), and he probably views his friendship with Manami as being a greatly desired place of relaxation for him. Romance, or at least romances when they are new, can be pretty intense, and I think that Kyousuke doesn't want to view Manami through that prism. She's his good, reliable, very easy-going friend that he can safely let his guard down with when around.

This episode was excellent, but it makes me feel sorry for both Kyousuke and Manami. Kyousuke would clearly be much better off if his family was more like Manami's, and at the same time, if his own home was a happier and more relaxing place for Kyousuke, perhaps he'd welcome a more intense (re: romantic) relationship with Manami. As is, Manami is currently stuck in the role of "dependable friend" when she clearly would like more than that.

Still, after seeing what his family (especially Kirino) puts Kyousuke through, it's not hard to see why Kyousuke would really just want to crash and relax at Manami's place. Him suggesting that maybe she come to his place next time is probably based on a desire for her calming presence (in his life) to perhaps spread to his home if she visits him there.

Edit: Kirino getting so upset over her brother being gone for awhile visiting a friend from school is interesting, and isn't terribly realistic as simply a matter of sisterly affection. A day or two without seeing one another wouldn't bother most siblings, in my experience (and in my experience with my own sisters growing up). I know that some have said that this anime will definitely not go with a serious incest romance, but man, the anime certainly gives a lot of hints that seem to lead to just that. Kirino's actions in this episode are much more like those of a jilted lover than like those of a sister missing her brother.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:17   Link #43
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-R! View Post
I love the jealous Kirino. I don't really like Manami that much so this episode wasn't that entertaining for me. Since the point of the story is for Kyouske and Kirino to get together, then that means that she might go back to her secondary character role.
Really why make Kyouske end up with another girl when there are millions of other animes with that ending. Hopefully this one will be one of the "few"; who cares about controversy or morals , anyway that is just my opinion.
Since when has a supporting character ever gotten the best deal in the end?

Kyousuke and Manami are the OTP! You corrupt individuals won't win this! (I hope. Oh dear God let us hope.)
Old 2010-11-07, 23:21   Link #44
Ricardo

good episode:
- love to amazon (yay! I love amazon too! <3 ^^)
- kirino is pissed up 'cause onii-chan it's not at home only for her... awww, poor kirino ;_;
Old 2010-11-07, 23:22   Link #45
type-R!

Quote:
Here's what really struck me: just how much more appreciated Kyousuke is in the Tamura home than his own. I think that was intentional - where he's barely noticed at home, he's the constant center of attention (and affection) at the Tamura's. You can even see how uncomfortable this makes him at times - he's so used to his anonymous persona at home that being shown affection is unnatural. But you can also see how at home he feels there - fully participating in the teasing and back and forth of her oddball clan.
I believe that the treatment Kyosuke receives from his family might be because of his relationship with Kirino. There is the possibilty that Kyousuke did something in the past to Kirino which caused them to become distant but he doesn't clearly remember anymore (or doesn't want to). If that was the case, then the family's cold attitude towards him would make some sense. Of course the parents would have tried to fix the situation (unless they really didn't care about him since the beginning, and that would be really sad for you Kyousuke ), and they most likely did but failed (although real parents would go all the way to the end to make their kids get along, in my opinion). Still, both Kirino and Kyouske would be at fault, but we are dealing with teenagers here, no matter how mature Kyuosuke looks he still doesn't know much about life yet, same for Kirino. If I were their father, there is no way I would miss that fact.
Thankfully that broken relationship is being rebuilt little by little, with little to almost no help from the parents.
Just my theory.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:35   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suppose time will tell, but I really don't see Kyousuke as the sort that would have done anything like what you describe. There doesn't need to be any extraordinary reasons for parents to treat one child better than the other, for family members to be hurtful or take each other for granted - it happens all the time. People sometimes just aren't as good to each other as they should be.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:36   Link #47
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Since when has a supporting character ever gotten the best deal in the end?

Kyousuke and Manami are the OTP! You corrupt individuals won't win this! (I hope. Oh dear God let us hope.)
Just because I don't like Manami doesn't mean I support Kirino. I much prefer Kuroneko or even Saori over either of them or Ayase.

I did like the episode though, Kyousuke is a much different person when he doesn't have to constantly deal with Kirino's problems.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2010-11-07, 23:46   Link #48
type-R!

Quote:
I suppose time will tell, but I really don't see Kyousuke as the sort that would have done anything like what you describe. There doesn't need to be any extraordinary reasons for parents to treat one child better than the other, for family members to be hurtful or take each other for granted - it happens all the time. People sometimes just aren't as good to each other as they should be.
Well, there are some hints in the novel that made me think that something might have happened between the siblings in the past. I doesn't look like something dark or tragic. Some of those hints haven't been portrayed in the anime so far, I think. But still, yeah there might other reasons as well.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:54   Link #49
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Just because I don't like Manami doesn't mean I support Kirino. I much prefer Kuroneko or even Saori over either of them or Ayase.

I did like the episode though, Kyousuke is a much different person when he doesn't have to constantly deal with Kirino's problems.
Has Kuroneko even spoken to Kyousuke at this point? :P

Saori is a good alternative though.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:55   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, since this isn't the place for novel spoilers and I haven't read the novels, I can only go by what I've seen on screen. I sincerely hope they don't go down that road (just as I hope they don't go down the incest road) and I don't think they will.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:56   Link #51
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
In families where one child absolutely excels (as Kirino is doing), and the other child struggles or is just doing Ok, it's not uncommon for parents to really favor the excelling child. Sometimes, this even happens at an almost subconscious level, without the parents fully realizing that they are picking favorites amongst their children.

Presuming that Kyousuke is only an average student, I can easily buy his parents caring more about his sister than about him.
Old 2010-11-07, 23:59   Link #52
Jze0
Hmmm...

The long awaited Manami episode, yay! Loved everything about it. Kyousuke also finally relaxed for the time being before he goes back with his stressful little sister. And... yes you should have gone to the bath with your childhood friend Kyosuke, that would have been the best option.
Old 2010-11-08, 00:00   Link #53
Ketro

Kirino stole the spotlight from Manami for me this episode, those little scenes of her all lonely were so cute :3
Spoiler for Kirino:

Old 2010-11-08, 00:05   Link #54
Vandalier
Hinamizawa Villager

Send a message via Yahoo to Vandalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Spoiler for Also, nice "dakimakura"...:
sae-san???
Old 2010-11-08, 00:08   Link #55
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

great episode, I feel bad for Manami, she's so adorable and Kyousuke pretty much rejected her wanting to stay just as they are D:

LoL at Kirino getting jealous and upset that he's staying over at another girl's house
Old 2010-11-08, 00:12   Link #56
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

The episode was pretty enjoyable with interactions between Kyousuke, Manami, and her family, especially the grandfather's antics and I hope Kyousuke ends up with Manami[or maybe Saori], so that I can see Kuroneko and Ayase fight for Kirino . Plus I think Manami suits him best .
MAL
Old 2010-11-08, 00:14   Link #57
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This was relieving after last week's episode. All the drama and awkwardness from that one almost choked me to death.

Iwao (Rock) reminds me of Krillin for some reason. It's most likely the hairstyle, and while it doesn't sound exactly the same, the voice as well.
Old 2010-11-08, 00:20   Link #58
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Agreed about Minami. I didn't think Satou Satomi's voice was that great, but she got me totally, so maybe it was. Then again, I've been shipping lovelorn meganekko osananajimi since DearS. I still think she has a chance....
Ahh..........
I was cheering for her too (@DearS)...
Just remembering that manga and her...
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalier View Post
sae-san???
Same manga-ka as the one that draws the manga she is in

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-11-08, 00:59   Link #59
HandofFate

This was a great episode. Minami is a great character, and really like her personaity.

Anyway, why does Kyou keep comparing her to an old lady? I don't really catch much sign of it. This episode showed that the grandparents live with her in the house, but what are some ba-chan traits she seems to exhibit that makes him always mention it?

Spoiler for episode 6 comments:

Quote:
Here's what really struck me: just how much more appreciated Kyousuke is in the Tamura home than his own. I think that was intentional - where he's barely noticed at home, he's the constant center of attention (and affection) at the Tamura's. You can even see how uncomfortable this makes him at times - he's so used to his anonymous persona at home that being shown affection is unnatural. But you can also see how at home he feels there - fully participating in the teasing and back and forth of her oddball clan.

Is he really clueless about Manami's affection, and is it reciprocated? Too early to say. His comments to his classmate aside, he may very honestly view Manami as no more than a close friend (and I'm rooting for Saori, though it's a Quixotic hope). But there could be more to his banter with her, too. As for Kirino, yes, we certainly see that she's jealous that he decided to spend the night. That's a selfish emotion but it at least shows some sort of interest in Kyousuke.

Much needed backstory for Kyou. He's the much more sympathetic of the two leads and it was necessary to show him in an environment where his every action wasn't a response to something Kirino was saying or doing.
hm, I think you might be looking a bit too deep about that. Sure, the dad is a little stoic and traditonal, but the mom seems alrite.

Also Kyou is a guest at their house, and therefore, they treat him very well as the hosts. My parents act very welcoming when my friends visit, almost to a point where my friends are annoyed at how many times they offer drink or snacks to them.

He's also a close childhood friend of their granddaughter. And you know grandparents tend to dot on their grandchildren and such like that, so that extends to Kyou.

Last edited by HandofFate; 2010-11-08 at 01:09.
Old 2010-11-08, 01:13   Link #60
Kenn
Stomp

I'd have to say that this is probably my favourite episodes of the series so far. The absence of Kirino's usual abuse is probably a reason. Manami was just too cute. These laid back relaxing rom-com slice of life kind of things are really my favourite.

On another note, I'll show you my hyper weapon!!

http://k625.blogspot.com/ - Kenn's blog of random everythings
Closed Thread