AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-22, 05:28   Link #20361
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

What's funny is, we never simplified the kanji, and still continue to use some old Chinese characters.
There were times when I showed a young Chinese co-worker of mine a Japanese wikipedia page, and she couldn't read some of the common kanji becuase it was simplified in Chinese.
Old 2012-03-22, 05:45   Link #20362
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In other news, this alleged mass murdering soldier is starting to appear to be a real piece of work .... many people may have died simply so he could skip out on a court judgement???
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82K1IY20120322

He worked for a number of financial firms that were neck deep in shady, illegal, and unethical operations.
He needs to realise that it is not legal to kill people in real life despite it being legal to "kill" others on the stock market.

Electric chair him. Now.

OTOH :

Lawyers in China to swear allegiance to Communist Party

I hope you people doing business in China enjoy your next business trip or deal.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-22, 05:51   Link #20363
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
He needs to realise that it is not legal to kill people in real life despite it being legal to "kill" others on the stock market.

Electric chair him. Now.
I'd much rather we lease out the chair for free to the Afghan people, and let them hit the switch.
Old 2012-03-22, 06:17   Link #20364
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What's funny is, we never simplified the kanji, and still continue to use some old Chinese characters.
There were times when I showed a young Chinese co-worker of mine a Japanese wikipedia page, and she couldn't read some of the common kanji becuase it was simplified in Chinese.
That's only half true. The simplified Chinese share many characters with Kanji, but different from the traditional Chinese characters. Of course, there are also overlapping of Kanji with traditional characters.

Here is an example:

感触 (かんしょく) is written the same way in simplified Chinese, but written 感觸 in traditional Chinese. Notice the difference of the second character.

When I don't know how to read or translate a Kanji, I'll just type it in simplified Chinese in a online (JP-Eng) dictionary and very often it works. They not only share the same way of writing, but also the same computer encoding. Sometimes I have to switch to traditional Chinese, and there are characters for which neither will work. For that I might have to do google translate.

Edit: the most familiar example might be this : to draw is written as 畫 in traditional Chinese, but 画 in Japanese and simplified Chinese.

Of course, an educated Chinese will have not much trouble to read traditional or simplified Chinese. To write them is a completely different matter.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2012-03-22 at 06:33.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:11   Link #20365
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chinese firm helps Iran spy on citizens
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82L0B820120322
Not much of a surprise.

French gunman jumps to his death in hail of bullets
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82I07N20120322
If he was really still firing, there's no possibility than someone pushed him out of the window.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:14   Link #20366
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Chinese firm helps Iran spy on citizens
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82L0B820120322
Not much of a surprise.
Every time I see news about China in the international scene, I imagine all their party members wearing a massive troll face and asking the american gov't if there's a problem.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:30   Link #20367
monsta666

Keeping to the theme of China, manufacturing activity in March contracted. The preliminary HSBC Purchasing Manager's Index (PMI) fell to 48.1 from 49.6 in February; this is the fifth monthly drop. A PMI reading of less than 50 signifies that the market contracted. Although as stated this is only the preliminary PMI figure; the official PMI figure will be released on April 1st.

China manufacturing activity contracts says HSBC survey (BBC)

China strikes a $31 billion currency deal with Australia which is a part of a string of recent movements by Beijing to make the Yuan have a more global presence. All these bilateral deals with is its local trading partners (which include Hong Kong and Japan) are part of a campaign to make the Yuan the next successor as a global reserve currency.

China signs $31bn currency exchange deal with Australia (BBC)
Old 2012-03-22, 10:44   Link #20368
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
That's only half true. The simplified Chinese share many characters with Kanji, but different from the traditional Chinese characters. Of course, there are also overlapping of Kanji with traditional characters.

Here is an example:

感触 (かんしょく) is written the same way in simplified Chinese, but written 感觸 in traditional Chinese. Notice the difference of the second character.

When I don't know how to read or translate a Kanji, I'll just type it in simplified Chinese in a online (JP-Eng) dictionary and very often it works. They not only share the same way of writing, but also the same computer encoding. Sometimes I have to switch to traditional Chinese, and there are characters for which neither will work. For that I might have to do google translate.

Edit: the most familiar example might be this : to draw is written as 畫 in traditional Chinese, but 画 in Japanese and simplified Chinese.

Of course, an educated Chinese will have not much trouble to read traditional or simplified Chinese. To write them is a completely different matter.
I realize this, but I'm mostly talking about the characters which was simplified in modern days in China, but kept the same in Japan.
Most of what you mention were converted when it was brought to Japan in the first place, so "kanji" wasn't simplified. They were simplified into kanji to begin with.
Thus, my statement is true. (notice the subject of the quote was "kanji", not Chinese)

Also, there are far more common characters than not, you know.

Last edited by aohige; 2012-03-22 at 10:55.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:50   Link #20369
AnimeFan188

MPAA Wants Megaupload User Data Retained for Lawsuits

"Hollywood studios want a federal judge to preserve data on all the 66.6 million
users of Megaupload, the file-sharing service that was shuttered in January due
to federal indictments targeting its operators.

The Motion Picture Association of America is requesting Carpathia, Megaupload’s
Virginia-based server host, to retain the 25 petabytes of Megaupload data on its
servers, which includes account information for Megaupload’s millions of users.
That’s according to a newly surfaced court filing in the Megaupload prosecution in
connection to charges of racketeering and criminal copyright infringement."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ser-litigatio/
Old 2012-03-22, 11:07   Link #20370
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Hollywood studios want a federal judge to preserve data on all the 66.6 million
users of Megaupload, the file-sharing service that was shuttered in January due
to federal indictments targeting its operators.

The Motion Picture Association of America is requesting Carpathia, Megaupload’s
Virginia-based server host, to retain the 25 petabytes of Megaupload data on its
servers, which includes account information for Megaupload’s millions of users.
That’s according to a newly surfaced court filing in the Megaupload prosecution in
connection to charges of racketeering and criminal copyright infringement."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ser-litigatio/
The article said that the MPAA is "Not suing individual users." Sure, right.

Endless "F U MPAA/RIAA" Soul
Old 2012-03-22, 11:17   Link #20371
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I realize this, but I'm mostly talking about the characters which was simplified in modern days in China, but kept the same in Japan.
Most of what you mention were converted when it was brought to Japan in the first place, so "kanji" wasn't simplified. They were simplified into kanji to begin with.
Thus, my statement is true. (notice the subject of the quote was "kanji", not Chinese)
So you are saying, that when the traditional characters are introduced to Japan, some of them are simplified (some are not). These characters become kanji, but Kanji was never simplified. Some Chinese who only know simplified Chinese and they have trouble to recognize those kanji which are traditional Chinese characters that has not been simplified. But they might recognize those characters that are simplified by the Japanese and reintroduced to the Chinese.

OK, cool.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:45   Link #20372
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
^ How much time left did he had before being turned back to civil world ?
You can stay in the military pretty much as long as you want... just keep re-signing.
Old 2012-03-22, 15:16   Link #20373
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
A Denver woman has been charged with perjury after telling a radio show that she dressed up in a weird way to avoid jury duty. It turns out the judge who was presiding over the case from which she was dismissed was listening just as she confessed, and he was quick to take legal action.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...ding-jury-duty

PROTIP: Don't do this
Old 2012-03-22, 15:59   Link #20374
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You can stay in the military pretty much as long as you want... just keep re-signing.
But aren't they talking about reducing the numbers of troup, especialy on the US Army ? Will they do so by letting go some of the less desirable or the one with the worse file ?
Old 2012-03-22, 16:03   Link #20375
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Could be a reason to crack. Maybe.
Old 2012-03-22, 19:07   Link #20376
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Chevron, Transocean charged in Brazilian oil spill
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82K0PL20120321
Between this and the Gulf oil spill, some conservatives in the U.S. still want the XL pipeline? Really? Maybe many of them just support it because their republican leaders do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The problem is figuring what to do about it...without falling back to a probable false past that didn't exist....or at least not the fictionalized version of that past. And certainly not to rewind Civil Rights sixty years in the process.
Overall good post. The last part in bold I really like. Some people, they really do want to undo civil rights progress that has been 50 or so years in the making. I was gonna give a plus rep point, but I gave one to you recently, so I couldn't.

I ended up responding to some posts, but I came here to post a video.

If you have any interest in this Trayvon Martin case, I highly recommend watching this video (where the people in the video tear apart some BS posted on Glenn Beck's website 'The Blaze'). I do agree, if you know enough about this case, have heard the audio tapes, and heard eyewitness reports of this event, and then you defend the shooter and also try to paint the unarmed 17 year old as a bad guy, there is something wrong with you.

Old 2012-03-22, 19:13   Link #20377
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Between this and the Gulf oil spill, some conservatives in the U.S. still want the XL pipeline? Really? Maybe many of them just support it because their republican leaders do.
I think it has to do with people's inability to fathom the negative consequences, and also that it wouldn't be happening in their backyard. If I recall correctly, even the Republican Congresspeople representing Nebraska opposed the pipeline. It's easy to say you want something when you won't have to see it or deal with any potential problems that arise.
Old 2012-03-22, 19:31   Link #20378
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Here is something different:

Marine faces boot for anti-Obama Facebook posts
Sgt. Gary Stein said he respects the office of the president but does not agree with Obama's policies

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46820717...news-security/

Quote:
A Marine sergeant who started a Facebook group that is openly critical of President Barack Obama and posted comments saying he will not follow the unlawful orders of the commander in chief is facing possible dismissal from the Corps.

The Marines on Wednesday told Sgt. Gary Stein — a Camp Pendleton Marine who started the Facebook page called Armed Forces Tea Party — that he is in violation of Pentagon policy barring troops from political activities.

Stein, a nine-year member of the Corps, said he started the page to encourage fellow service members to exercise their free speech rights. He has also criticized Defense Secretary Leon Panetta for his comments on Syria.

The Marine Corps said in a statement that Stein's commanding officer ordered a preliminary inquiry on March 8 after receiving allegations that Stein posted the political statements violating the Pentagon's directives.

"After reviewing the findings of the preliminary inquiry, the commander decided to address the allegations through administrative action," the Corps said.

"I'm completely shocked that this is happening," Stein said. "I've done nothing wrong. I've only stated what our oath states that I will defend the constitution and that I will not follow unlawful orders. If that's a crime, what is America coming to?"

Stein said he planned to fight the charges. He had applied to extend his service, which was set to expire in a few months.

Stein said in addition to being discharged, he would have his rank reduced to lance corporal if he is proven to be in violation. He said he was removed from his job at the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot in San Diego on Wednesday and given a desk job with no access to computers.

According to Pentagon directives, military personnel in uniform cannot sponsor a political club; participate in any TV or radio program or group discussion that advocates for or against a political party, candidate or cause; or speak at any event promoting a political movement. Commissioned officers also may not use contemptuous words against senior officials, including the defense secretary or the president.

Stein was first cautioned by his superiors at Camp Pendleton in 2010, after he launched his Facebook page and criticized Obama's health care overhaul. Stein volunteered to take down the page while he reviewed the rules at the request of his superiors.

He said he determined he was not in violation and relaunched the page. Last week, he said his superiors told him he could not use social media sites on government computers after he posted the message stating he would not follow the president's unlawful orders.

Stein said his statement was part of an online debate about NATO allowing U.S. troops to be tried for the Quran burnings in Afghanistan.

In that context, he said, he was stating that he would not follow orders from the president if those orders included detaining U.S. citizens, disarming them or doing anything else that he believes would violate their constitutional rights.

Another Marine alerted his command about the statement, Stein said.

Stein said he respects the office of the president, but he does not agree with Obama's policies. He said he is within his rights to speak up.

The Marine Corps said Stein is allowed to express his personal opinions as long as they do not give the impression he is speaking in his official capacity as a Marine.
Old 2012-03-22, 19:36   Link #20379
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm mixed on this... on the one hand, grumbling in the ranks isn't a good idea. But as long as he follows *lawful commands*, he can say he won't follow *unlawful* commands because the code specifically demands that.

He needs to be very careful about not using *any* government equipment for his hobby.

The US has long been leery of letting other entities trump their sovereignty (imagine that)... but we're going to let the WTO overrule our ecological/hygiene/safety laws we are already on the slippy slope.
Old 2012-03-22, 19:37   Link #20380
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think it has to do with people's inability to fathom the negative consequences, and also that it wouldn't be happening in their backyard. If I recall correctly, even the Republican Congresspeople representing Nebraska opposed the pipeline. It's easy to say you want something when you won't have to see it or deal with any potential problems that arise.
Why do so many conservatives just not give a damn about the planet and the environment? I mean, my best guess is that a lot of them think the second coming is around the corner, so they think "What does it matter?". I'm Christian (in between it and spiritual but not religious), but that is absolutely not the attitude to have. If the second coming ain't happening anytime soon, or ever, then those that haven't been pushing for better environmental care are only helping lead to greater suffering for future generations.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international