AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-10-10, 12:32   Link #1
4Tran

Gundam 00 Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

As the title suggests, the purpose of this thread is to discuss the Gundam 00 Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here. It's also a good idea that this thread discuss things that have shown up on the show or the manga - discussion of things that have only been announced should stay in the news thread.

Note that because of the nature of this thread, there may be spoilers for non-anime Gundam 00 works. Please keep such spoilers to a minimum, and use well-titled spoiler tags whenever possible.
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title to let everyone know what you're spoiling![/spoiler]

Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.
Old 2008-10-10, 12:35   Link #2
ElldenStorm

-blows a raspberry at 4Tran, then walks in and plops down-

Gotta go and ruin all my fun by creating this topic and expecting me to use it... -grumble grumble-
ElldenStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 12:49   Link #3
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
Hmm... new thread,great!!!.
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:00   Link #4
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Now all the GN-Drives and Drive Tau thats been discussing in other threads can continue here XD

I always think AD technology is more resembles our current world, its the same timelime after all.

Orbital elevator is possible right?
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:11   Link #5
ElldenStorm

GN Science 101

Anyways, onto the GN Drives themselves, sometimes refered to as Solar Furnaces or Reactors in the dialogue. That said, we have to look at the GN Drives in the terms of a 'Reactor.' The Solar Furnace may be a reference to part of the reaction catalysts or environment, but calling it a Drive is a non sequitur, other then the fact that it 'drives' the suit's systems.

What information we have been given on the GN Drives, states that they "harnesses the photon and positron discharge of the non-evaporative decay of baryonic matter as an energy source." GN Particles are a byproduct of this process. Now, I will say it's disappointing, surfing the web and finding people supposing that simply because the dialogue, in reference to GN Tau Drives states that they are required to 'recharge' after certain period of time is likely inaccurate by translation. More accurately, it's likely 'refueled.' Stop and think about it. Why would you 'charge' a generator in any electrical generation system? And make no mistake, that is what we are talking about; an electrical system. Generators typically produce electrical power, not require it to run. Otherwise it's nothing but a glorified battery. And GN Drives, like any reactor, would require 'fuel.' In this case, in the form of some type of non-specified baryonic matter to be used in whatever reaction takes place within the core GN Element.

But we need to get away from this misconception that the Gundams and other GN Mobilesuits are powered by GN Particles. Yes, GN Particles are a major component in many of the operations of these suit's systems. But by and large, most of the systems are run by the Electricity produced by the GN Reaction. GN Particles are either used to reinforce armor, jam communications and sensors, possibly aide in the impulse propulsion systems of the suit, aswell as the weapons systems, for either shooting or cutting. There are any number of other systems, like computer, sensors, communications, bipedal drive locomotion, ect that run on electrical power, and electrical power alone.

... -grumbling- Alright, I'm going on 20 hours awake, so my focus is kinda lax... But I guess this is all a start for the thread, eh?
Old 2008-10-10, 13:19   Link #6
RAVNEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
Now all the GN-Drives and Drive Tau thats been discussing in other threads can continue here XD

I always think AD technology is more resembles our current world, its the same timelime after all.

Orbital elevator is possible right?
If there gonna be Orbital elevator on our world,we all probably be dead by that time. It could be done with more country cooperated on its development.

I think Japanese scientist are working on that project. Wikipedia has stated Japan scientist are working on weapon or defense system that use Dragoon-like system.
Maybe right now they build gundam-like mecha in their underground facility.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:20   Link #7
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

On the use of GN particles in weapons. What's not really clear to me is if the various weapons are tapping directly into the suits generator thus having an almost infinite source of particles or are they stored in battery line devices (UC = e-caps). Now we did see the GN Flag have it's beam saber linked via cable to it's GN drive (ala Epyon).

It's a minor point but limited ammo was one thing that made the previous gundams feel more "real type" instead of "super robot".
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:33   Link #8
ElldenStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
On the use of GN particles in weapons. What's not really clear to me is if the various weapons are tapping directly into the suits generator thus having an almost infinite source of particles or are they stored in battery line devices (UC = e-caps). Now we did see the GN Flag have it's beam saber linked via cable to it's GN drive (ala Epyon).

It's a minor point but limited ammo was one thing that made the previous gundams feel more "real type" instead of "super robot".
Well, I'm not quite sure about the GN Flag. But for the other suits, I'm fairly confident that the Gundams for instance, would use their GN Particle Capacitors / Resevoirs as a type of buffer between the Drive itself and the weapon. It provides a more immediate, direct and steady source of particles instantenously, while the Drive itself might have to power up further in such cases such as Virtue charging it GN Bazooka for Burst Mode.

We have to remember, that these GN Drives are pepetual reactors. Even though they might be set to an idled state, drawing little from the GN Reaction, they're always producing power and GN Particles. Those particles either have to be stored, or vented. But we've also seen the GN Reaction magnified during extreme use, such as Exia in Moraillia and Virtue blowing the stuffing out of the Asteroid durring Operation Fallen Angels. Just because there's a type of GN Battery between the drive and the weapon, doesn't mean the flow from one to the other is slowed down simply because the battery is there. But from an engineering standpoint, you'd want that capacitor there to smooth the transfer and prevent overloads.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:34   Link #9
RAVNEN

Gundam that use GN Drive Alpha has unlimited operation time but their pilot don't. Maybe the pilot make the gundam in 00 series a "real robot" instead of "super robot".

Many people say SFreedom is "super robot",hopefully someone crazier than Rau Le Cruset own it in Seed movie.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:50   Link #10
ashlay
the red string of fate

Question: What exactly is it that the Twin Drive system squares?
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 13:54   Link #11
ElldenStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Question: What exactly is it that the Twin Drive system squares?
I would assume the reaction, therefore it squares both the Electrical and GN Particle output aswell.
Old 2008-10-10, 13:57   Link #12
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It'd be hilarious that if the Twin Drive System makes the 00 Gundam literally weightless in any environment, considering what GN-Particles do to the frames of the Gundams.
Old 2008-10-10, 14:02   Link #13
ElldenStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It'd be hilarious that if the Twin Drive System makes the 00 Gundam literally weightless in any environment, considering what GN-Particles do to the frames of the Gundams.
Is that confirmed that they actually affect the mass of an object? I've read that before in speculation, but never canon source. I thought that it had more do with them being used in a set of inertialess / reactionless drives.
Old 2008-10-10, 14:04   Link #14
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElldenStorm View Post
Is that confirmed that they actually affect the mass of an object? I've read that before in speculation, but never canon source. I thought that it had more do with them being used in a set of inertialess / reactionless drives.
Yes, its canon that they reduce weight. It was labeled in the spec sheets included with the models.
Old 2008-10-10, 14:04   Link #15
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Dragoon-like! That must be awesome. I hope they don't go overboard and do something like Project G or Genesis.
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-10, 14:37   Link #16
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
Did anyone ever think if they mounted a reactor on a suit small enough to power a Tau it would give almost the same effect as a real gn drive.Just not sure if they r able to do that in this universe.
Old 2008-10-10, 15:18   Link #17
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
Did anyone ever think if they mounted a reactor on a suit small enough to power a Tau it would give almost the same effect as a real gn drive.Just not sure if they r able to do that in this universe.
Nuclear power is a big no no in a world where clean energy sources like solar power exist.

Besides, why would the Federation ever want mobile suits to be able to act independently? It's far better to control the spread of the new generation of mobile weapons by controlling 95% of the energy that would be necessary to power the units.
Old 2008-10-10, 15:29   Link #18
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Nuclear power is a big no no in a world where clean energy sources like solar power exist.

Besides, why would the Federation ever want mobile suits to be able to act independently? It's far better to control the spread of the new generation of mobile weapons by controlling 95% of the energy that would be necessary to power the units.
maybe so but to compete with more powerful units with stronger weapons n operation times u need to draw a line sumwhere
Old 2008-10-10, 15:37   Link #19
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
maybe so but to compete with more powerful units with stronger weapons n operation times u need to draw a line sumwhere
there's only 4 of them, and the higher ups don't really care much for human life, so plenty of fodder to throw at them.
(Federation office A: "Hey! Lets make deathbots that are programmed to kill every living thing they come across with high caliber automatic weapons!"
Federation officer B: "Brilliant!")

In other words, you can always deal with lower operational time by having standby units, and deal with a single powerful enemy by having multiple weaker units. So the Federation has no real need to make the weapons more powerful by putting themselves in the dangerous position of making the weapons autonomous.
Old 2008-10-10, 15:49   Link #20
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Also is it ever explained why nuclear power is such a nono?