AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > High School DxD

Notices

Old 2013-07-22, 18:01   Link #401
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I'm honestly a bit surprised that this series is so popular. I guess there's more lonely otaku out there than I thought. :P

Honestly, I watch and enjoy the series because it is mostly mindless and it has some nice moments, but I find the story to be incredibly shallow most of the time. Anytime Issei goes into his pervert rant mode, I just want to smack him silly.

I enjoy the anime more than the LNs because the LNs really come off as if their written by a five year old with an overactive sex drive. It's obvious the author is writing some sort of wish fulfillment series.

What's funny is that I used to really be all over these harem type series (though not so much the perverted protagonists who I usually despise), but as I get older they appeal to me less and less.
Old 2013-07-22, 18:35   Link #402
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I'm honestly a bit surprised that this series is so popular. I guess there's more lonely otaku out there than I thought. :P

Honestly, I watch and enjoy the series because it is mostly mindless and it has some nice moments, but I find the story to be incredibly shallow most of the time. Anytime Issei goes into his pervert rant mode, I just want to smack him silly.

I enjoy the anime more than the LNs because the LNs really come off as if their written by a five year old with an overactive sex drive. It's obvious the author is writing some sort of wish fulfillment series.

What's funny is that I used to really be all over these harem type series (though not so much the perverted protagonists who I usually despise), but as I get older they appeal to me less and less.
It has less to do with the over-the-top eroticism and more to do with the fact that this is one of the only "harem" series that has an actual harem. You're right that it is pure wish-fulfillment. All harem type series are wish-fulfillment, whether male or female (or both, for the less picky). This series is popular because it doesn't make any attempt to hide the fact that it is wish fulfillment. This is a gag erotic-comedy series that happens to throw in a few good fight scenes. Straight-up, no attempts to take itself seriously. Hence it's popularity.

As for appealing less and less, that's because after a while the formula starts to get a little repetitive. I mean, it's kind of hard to write an interesting series if the main focus is on the fact that every girl in twenty miles wants to get in the MC' pants.

That's the main reason that "pure" harems are dying out. In general, the more popular series now are the ones who aren't focused on the "romance" genre and just have the whole harem thing as a backdrop. Take Madan no Ou, for example. There are seven Vanadis. Naturally you'd assume the main focus would be on them and the MC doing rom-com stuff. Instead you spend 95% of the time discussing battles and politics and wars, and 5% harem rom-com as comic relief.
Old 2013-07-22, 18:46   Link #403
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
It has less to do with the over-the-top eroticism and more to do with the fact that this is one of the only "harem" series that has an actual harem. You're right that it is pure wish-fulfillment. All harem type series are wish-fulfillment, whether male or female (or both, for the less picky). This series is popular because it doesn't make any attempt to hide the fact that it is wish fulfillment. This is a gag erotic-comedy series that happens to throw in a few good fight scenes. Straight-up, no attempts to take itself seriously. Hence it's popularity.

As for appealing less and less, that's because after a while the formula starts to get a little repetitive. I mean, it's kind of hard to write an interesting series if the main focus is on the fact that every girl in twenty miles wants to get in the MC' pants.

That's the main reason that "pure" harems are dying out. In general, the more popular series now are the ones who aren't focused on the "romance" genre and just have the whole harem thing as a backdrop. Take Madan no Ou, for example. There are seven Vanadis. Naturally you'd assume the main focus would be on them and the MC doing rom-com stuff. Instead you spend 95% of the time discussing battles and politics and wars, and 5% harem rom-com as comic relief.
Yeah, and I guess that's why it doesn't appeal to me much anymore. It's not just harem genre getting boring, but as I get older, sticking to one girl becomes more and more appealing to me than having a harem of girls. I'd rather have the MC focus on one girl than 10 different girls that ends up with 9 of them hurt or a non-ending at all. Plus, polygamy is not something I'll ever really appreciate unless it's in a pure comedy based series like TLR or something, as I am a bit of a hopeless romantic who believes a guy should be faithful to one person. Anything that has any kind of deeper romantic plot and I get completely turned off by the harem around it.
Old 2013-07-22, 19:49   Link #404
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Yeah, and I guess that's why it doesn't appeal to me much anymore. It's not just harem genre getting boring, but as I get older, sticking to one girl becomes more and more appealing to me than having a harem of girls. I'd rather have the MC focus on one girl than 10 different girls that ends up with 9 of them hurt or a non-ending at all. Plus, polygamy is not something I'll ever really appreciate unless it's in a pure comedy based series like TLR or something, as I am a bit of a hopeless romantic who believes a guy should be faithful to one person. Anything that has any kind of deeper romantic plot and I get completely turned off by the harem around it.
I actually agree with this. Any series that takes the romantic aspects of the story seriously should only have a one-on-one relationship. Otherwise the harem-members end up becoming these pitiful people desperately vying for the attention of a single person, and honestly that seems a bit unhealthy for all involved.

Spoiler for Comparison to Umi no Misaki:

If done at all, harems should be done in a setting where it's basically the background to the larger plot (not that kind of plot. stop snickering) like in MnO (damn war business gets in the way) or Campione (those pesky Heretic Gods make planning a picnic a little hard), or in a purely comedic environment like TLR (I once saw a post claiming that since the girls panties got more screen-time than they did, the panties should be considered harem members) or this one, DxD (the MC pulls more power-ups out of boobs than most magicians pull rabbits out of hats).

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-24 at 03:55. Reason: spoiler tag for comparison
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 04:02   Link #405
backbone
Banned

Pretty understandable for me. After all, as you grow older, you tend to seek for type of entertainments that challenge you in one way or another, in which this series is kind of lacking. I used to watch tons of harem shows during my highschool days, but now i consider most of them stupid and nonsensical trash, leaving only the ones that either backed up by strong plot (such as Highschool DxD) or having outstanding male leads that capable of carrying the show by themselves (Kaminomi) that i can still enjoy.

And the use of "lonely otaku" is a bit harsh, to be honest. Because many mindful and smart people who are successful IRL actually enjoy mindless and weightless shows simply to refresh their minds
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 04:50   Link #406
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Ok just caught up with the new season. Seems there is alot focus on Kiba's background. Also why I wonder focus on Xenovia/Zenovia when it's kinda more interesting that Irina is Issie's childhood friend? Either way seems Rias and Asia is all over Issie these past 3 episode which is great imho.
Old 2013-07-23, 12:52   Link #407
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Pretty understandable for me. After all, as you grow older, you tend to seek for type of entertainments that challenge you in one way or another, in which this series is kind of lacking. I used to watch tons of harem shows during my highschool days, but now i consider most of them stupid and nonsensical trash, leaving only the ones that either backed up by strong plot (such as Highschool DxD) or having outstanding male leads that capable of carrying the show by themselves (Kaminomi) that i can still enjoy.

And the use of "lonely otaku" is a bit harsh, to be honest. Because many mindful and smart people who are successful IRL actually enjoy mindless and weightless shows simply to refresh their minds
The lonely otaku comment was meant to be a joke. :P

@Xfire: Yeah, I'm one of those who dropped UnM. Kind of repelled me.

I'd probably enjoy this more like TLR if the lead wasn't such pervert character. I've never really enjoyed them because they just make me roll my eyes at how immature they act. :P It's not just this series. Ghost Sweeper Mikami made me feel the same way. It's also why I really enjoyed Hentai Ouji, despite having reservations at first. The character was perverted (all is men are at some point), but there were many other aspects to his character and he didn't let it seep into every other part of his personality like characters similar to Issei do. When 90% of the time, the character is screaming about oppai, it gets annoying.
Old 2013-07-23, 12:59   Link #408
XFire
150% done

Quote:
The lonely otaku comment was meant to be a joke. :P

@Xfire: Yeah, I'm one of those who dropped UnM. Kind of repelled me.

I'd probably enjoy this more like TLR if the lead wasn't such pervert character. I've never really enjoyed them because they just make me roll my eyes at how immature they act. :P It's not just this series. Ghost Sweeper Mikami made me feel the same way. It's also why I really enjoyed Hentai Ouji, despite having reservations at first. The character was perverted (all is men are at some point), but there were many other aspects to his character and he didn't let it seep into every other part of his personality like characters similar to Issei do. When 90% of the time, the character is screaming about oppai, it gets annoying.
Yeah, I figured. I have to admit it felt kind of weird watching a "realistic" relationship between one guy and three girls.

Again, yes. This would have been so much better if Ise was more normal. Reacting to the fact that your hot, big-breasted, red-haired master wants to sleep naked with you? That's fine. Stripping a girl in the middle of a death match? That's too much. In all honesty most of the fan-service annoys me. The cute little scenes where the girls are being clingy or pouting or the like are so much better.
Old 2013-07-27, 01:01   Link #409
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post

That's down right untrue, if anything as you grow older, you tend to relish in the "purer" aspects of a story, because as you age in society you get sickened by the complications of the world.

That is why with a show that "about nothing" comedy will expect to get 30million viewers, and a high brow story will top-off at around 5million(if lucky).

If you're seeking fullfilling storylines, they're just because you're "not old enough yet". I don't want something to tell me the world is mad, and congress is secretly trying to take my rights, evil is all over the world, corporations slowly killing society, and lovers stabbing each others to death 10 times a day.

Ya know when you get old enough, it's down right gloomy out there. The more a plot wants to be taken seriously the more I would hate that it's taking me into the real.

Dissing the DxD LN is like dissing LN itself. If you don't like LN styles, don't complain DxD is on the good side of LNs.

Because face it, most LN are cliche harem's stories in the end, with power ups, and comedic dialogue.

Why is it not? because you can't write that many words without "spice" and the "girls" are spice. Either give an existing heroine some love or introduce a new one, add in some plot, and move the main story, there you go: a good read.

DxD has good chemistry, that's what makes it a cut above the usual. All the characters have nice niches, they're approachable, funny, and interesting. The hero continues his power-ups in a interesting and blood pumping way, the main plot has just enough twists to keep it going. It's a good read.

The fact that nothing is ever going to be that complicated to consider the realism of it, is why it's pretty good for it's genre.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 17:16   Link #410
Enternal

Hahaha kukuru. Pretty much you have become jaded and want something that is purer and simpler. There are times when I tell people that I like those types of story that are simple and relaxing and people would tell me that I'm shallow or something since I don't like to watch anime which required thinking. It always makes me chuckle because I'm already doing a lot of thinking dealing with life and the dirty people so why would I want to watch more of that type of stuff? However it's not like I'm totally against the more complex stories because otherwise I would never enjoy novels like Madan nou Ou to Senki. I know there's a lot of bashing for the LN right now since no one knows what it's about but it's a story that has a strong highly intelligent lead that is young and still fresh but develops quickly, really good military tactics and politics, great heroines (powerful, beautiful, and intelligent), and fanservice (although a bit weak compared to others).

One thing that bothers me a bit about this series though which is not a big deal but... I always feel bad for Kiba since he's doesn't really get a harem at all. Issei gets them all and it's due to his kindness and determination but what about Kiba?
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 17:54   Link #411
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Hahaha kukuru. Pretty much you have become jaded and want something that is purer and simpler. There are times when I tell people that I like those types of story that are simple and relaxing and people would tell me that I'm shallow or something since I don't like to watch anime which required thinking. It always makes me chuckle because I'm already doing a lot of thinking dealing with life and the dirty people so why would I want to watch more of that type of stuff? However it's not like I'm totally against the more complex stories because otherwise I would never enjoy novels like Madan nou Ou to Senki. I know there's a lot of bashing for the LN right now since no one knows what it's about but it's a story that has a strong highly intelligent lead that is young and still fresh but develops quickly, really good military tactics and politics, great heroines (powerful, beautiful, and intelligent), and fanservice (although a bit weak compared to others).

One thing that bothers me a bit about this series though which is not a big deal but... I always feel bad for Kiba since he's doesn't really get a harem at all. Issei gets them all and it's due to his kindness and determination but what about Kiba?
Kiba does has a harem. He has many females after him, the girls at the High School adores him.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 21:34   Link #412
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Kiba does has a harem. He has many females after him, the girls at the High School adores him.
Ah yes he sure does. I actually meant girls that have significance in the plot. Initially I even thought Xenovia might be interested in him but in the end, she also went towards Issei.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-29, 21:38   Link #413
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Ah yes he sure does. I actually meant girls that have significance in the plot. Initially I even thought Xenovia might be interested in him but in the end, she also went towards Issei.
Sorry that I cannot help with your question, but the answer you are looking for is a spoiler (Which I would gladly give if you place the question in the spoiler thread).
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 02:50   Link #414
Znail

It's more a case of Kiba not being interested in any girl then girls not being interested in him, so he has only himself to blame.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 08:52   Link #415
passin'gass
Cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
That's down right untrue, if anything as you grow older, you tend to relish in the "purer" aspects of a story, because as you age in society you get sickened by the complications of the world.

Ya know when you get old enough, it's down right gloomy out there. The more a plot wants to be taken seriously the more I would hate that it's taking me into the real.
Light Novels are called 'light' for a reason

I work in HR, and I deal with every division's bullshyte rants and mood swings on a daily basis, including rest days.

DxD for me is a relaxing, guilt-free trip into disbelief suspension. With an ice-cold San Mig 'Lite' of course
passin'gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 13:18   Link #416
Eleonora Viltaria
Vanadis

I prefer the ln over the anime anyways

I do found the main protagonist annoying at times.

Overall i like the series.
Eleonora Viltaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 01:04   Link #417
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Azazel wins this season. Not only he's got the best lines, he sure knows how to be a teacher.

The producers expanded the setting at hyperinflationary speeds, so much so it was almost comical.

High School DxD used to be a personal guilty pleasure, but I'm upgrading it to the "another way for a harem comedy to be done right" level. After all, there were plenty of fights to watch when the ero got silly.

I sure wish DxD outdoes Infinite Stratos, which has been nothing but squandered setting with SSDD (same shit different distributor).
Old 2014-01-28, 12:06   Link #418
bastek66

Look who they showed
Spoiler for kinda nsfw:
Old 2014-01-28, 22:51   Link #419
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

^Third season confirmed or just a ova special?
Old 2014-01-29, 08:24   Link #420
Gary29
Not Bennia Lover

It's part of the extra scenes from DxD New's Volume 5 of the Blu-Rays. But it's basically an unofficial 'season 3 confirmed' to a lot of people because otherwise why would they go through the effort of adding her in there?