AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-08-18, 05:05   Link #41
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
For someone who is barely interested about the genre it deconstructs in the first place, why should I even care?
Well said, and you're wiser than me who once started watching School Days but gave up after episode three because it really wasn't worth the effort.

And the term "must-watch" and all similar formulations give me rashes.

But from what you're writing I now learn I don't really know anything about "School Days" and my respect for the show just dropped immensely. If the audience wasn't invited to self-insert themselves into Makoto like usually but on the contrary to hate him beforehand then why the trauma over his violent death I wonder ...
Old 2009-08-18, 08:10   Link #42
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

To voice a certain percentage of anime community, i'm here a person who haven't even watched a single episode of SD, hate it with all my guts (thank to the power of internet), love every criticism people can throw in so no one would dare bring its plot up again and we could avoid a future World War 3.... Financial Global Crisis.... disaster.

About the meme, yeah i uses it sometime too. I don't think it's such a problem because to me "Nice Boat" hold a negative "what-a-joke" aura

About respect for the show(except the ending)? Be sincere to everyone(include SD fan that one of my friend is), it's like asking me the same question about Polpot
Old 2009-08-18, 10:00   Link #43
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I find it extremely funny how some people can "hate" something without even caring enough to watch it. It boggles the mind, really.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 12:03   Link #44
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
They hate the hype about it or it's popularity, not the anime(even if they say it otherwise). Without seeing it it can't be hated only the things associated with it.
And I liked School Days because it dared to differ from most of the typical rom-com series.
We have our classical indecissive protagonist trapped in a love triangle. The only difference there's no overly high morals forthe protagonist nor artifical interruptions to hamper the developments.
And that's what happens in the worst case scenario.
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 12:36   Link #45
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
They hate the hype about it or it's popularity, not the anime(even if they say it otherwise).
Yeah, and I don't get why such thinking exists. If you hate the hype, then you're hating the fans, or the people, not the anime. They think that hating a certain anime will somehow promote some underrated anime that they like, or something. In this case, I wouldn't say the School Days hype is good hype. I would say, however, that people stop going "Nice Boat" to everything because it does piss others off a lot, even me.

There should be absolutely no reason to hate an anime based on reviews or other "external information" without ever watching the show.

Quote:
Namely, that it starts out like a generic school romance, plays out like an exceptionally bad and callous harem school romance, and when the audience is sufficiently driven to rage, exploit the backlash by giving them blood and "justice served."
Why does Slice of Life think that this is little statement gives him an idea of what School Days is? It's just a biased opinion meant to draw people away from the series and not even a summary of the show.

Spoiler for I can play the game too!:

I don't believe that it is an "exceptionally bad and callous harem school romance" at all, but it was rather good. Without episode 14, I would've probably given the anime a good score. And there was never a sense of "justice" when I finished the show. That is, once again, something blown into proportions by polls and memes.

School Days was beautifully directed and Makoto is an excellent character. To make us hate him is to do have done his job, and he did just that. It makes me care about the characters, all of them, and what happens to them. In a "usual" harem (I don't like them either), I really don't care who will win. School Days draws me into its plot and more importantly, made me take sides. That's why I still consider certain episodes of School Days to be some of the best out of all romance drama anime.

But perhaps what made sense the most from Irenicus' post is:

Quote:
For someone who is barely interested about the genre it deconstructs in the first place, why should I even care?
You have every right to not care about the series. But if someone has not watched the series, then he has no right to dissuade others from watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I already stated somewhere else some time ago that School Day was the most influential anime of the year, probably one of the most influential anime ever, since it "influenced" so many people so deeply.
I still completely 100% agree with this statement.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2009-08-18 at 12:48.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 12:46   Link #46
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
An annoying meme.
Pretty much. School Days in itself was a brilliant experiment but the meme it spawned is so obnoxious. Anytime anything sad or upsetting happens in a romance storyline it's "OMG, Nice Boat!" spammed a bajillion times.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 12:59   Link #47
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
If the audience wasn't invited to self-insert themselves into Makoto like usually but on the contrary to hate him beforehand then why the trauma over his violent death I wonder ...
I don't recall anyone being particularly sad about his death.

Quote:
While it certainly sounds like a twist and an assault on ordinary eroge clichés, it does not appear to be much more. For someone who is barely interested about the genre it deconstructs in the first place, why should I even care?
No one will mind you not caring but isn't saying that, for example, "it does not appear to be much more" a criticism of something you haven't watched?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 13:15   Link #48
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't recall anyone being particularly sad about his death. [/URL]
You haven't been to the series' subforum then, have you? Plenty of people didn't enjoy his fate (myself included).

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 13:24   Link #49
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyvereb View Post
We have our classical indecissive protagonist trapped in a love triangle. The only difference there's no overly high morals forthe protagonist nor artifical interruptions to hamper the developments.
And that's what happens in the worst case scenario.
Only one thing; Instead of being a two-dimensional geometric figure, it's more of a three-dimensional figure, like a love pyramid or a love cube; Too much shit was going on, it made even the dumbest of soap operas look like simple two-person puppy love...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 13:25   Link #50
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You haven't been to the series' subforum then, have you? Plenty of people didn't enjoy his fate (myself included).
I didn't particularly enjoy it either. It's just that "Truama over his violent death" is a bit of an exageration isn't it?"

It was made so that his death would seem like a bad thing, but I don't think making everyone hate him beforehand contradicted that, as Slice of Life claims. On the contrary, didn't it show that death isn't a good thing even for bad people?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 13:33   Link #51
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Actually, I understood the reasons behind the deaths pretty fine, but you're right. It's never a good thing and he needed to pay back for what he did not just "escaping" like what happened.

Anyways, I think "nice boat" is overused too. According to the Urban Dictonary it even means simply "extremely gruesome scene" now too. Not just yandere bad ends.

It shows how powerfull was the show's effect.

Sometimes I wonder what could've happened if they air the last episode at the usual time and the "boat filler" never exists. Would it be still as powerfull as a meme? What kind of name would it have? Kotonoha job? School daysd?
Old 2009-08-18, 13:51   Link #52
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

if the boat is replace by some other means of transportation, what whould happen i wonder?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 13:59   Link #53
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

"Sexy Bus"
Old 2009-08-18, 15:28   Link #54
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Or "Head-hug"
perhaps "I make tea"(Sekai's words before she went to the kitchen and sent her last message to Makoto's phone)
Old 2009-08-18, 15:45   Link #55
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Why does Slice of Life think that this is little statement gives him an idea of what School Days is? It's just a biased opinion meant to draw people away from the series and not even a summary of the show.
Because of the person who posted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't recall anyone being particularly sad about his death.
I noticed that everybody hated him but there are people who were always hated and people who were always hated only after the shit hits the fan if you catch my drift.

And do we need to have that discussion again? You're not enlightened enough yet to talk bad about my animu? You can trash a show you have never watched as well as you can hype a show you've never watched. And everybody else can ignore it if they want. I wish people were so protective about human beings as they are about anime series ...
Old 2009-08-18, 15:56   Link #56
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

So you have a list of people where everything they say are automatically correct and wise? That's cute, because it seems like inverse ad hominem.

Hype before a show airs is different from trashing a show you know nothing about. For example, if you trash an anime that hasn't aired yet, no one really cares, because everyone is on the same blank page.

I don't even know how enlightenment comes into the discussion. And no, people cannot ignore it if they want. It's like a lawyer making some irrelevant emotional appeal then the judge says to ignore that comment. But the jury obviously won't.
Old 2009-08-18, 16:44   Link #57
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
So you have a list of people where everything they say are automatically correct and wise?
Yes, but there's only my own name on it. Seriously, would you agree that your conclusion is a bit polemically exaggerated?

Quote:
Hype before a show airs is different from trashing a show you know nothing about. For example, if you trash an anime that hasn't aired yet, no one really cares, because everyone is on the same blank page.
And hyping it after it starts airing?

Quote:
I don't even know how enlightenment comes into the discussion. And no, people cannot ignore it if they want. It's like a lawyer making some irrelevant emotional appeal then the judge says to ignore that comment. But the jury obviously won't.
Except that nobody will be send into prison or a gas chamber and the jury members make decisions only for themselves. We all are being bombarded with emotional appeal the whole time. It's called advertisement and PR and I think we've all learned to handle it. If not, you're in greater trouble than missing out on an anime you might have liked.

Besides, Irenicus merely stated reasons why he didn't watch it. Exactly how much am I supposed to censor my thoughts because somebody might draw whatever conclusions from it?
Old 2009-08-18, 16:50   Link #58
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Wait, hyping after something starts airing without watching it? I've been watching anime for so long and this...has never happened.

But that's okay, thanks for making realize that I'm defending School Days. I just want all who reads this thread to know that I do respect it and that I believe it deserves its influence.
Old 2009-08-18, 18:43   Link #59
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I watched some videos on the game, and I liked what I saw. The "bad ends" are really just the exception and the majority of the endings make sense.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-08-18 at 19:18.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-18, 19:00   Link #60
cerrian

School Days did what Star Wars ep I-III should have done. It gave us a protagonist who we could initially like and then proceeded to twist and warp the character to the point where he was more than just a villian but the focal point of the audiences' hatred. People don't hate Makoto for poor character growth or sloppy execution by the production team, rather they despise that character for successfully evolving into something that most us of revile.

There are very few stories in literature and visual media that successfully accomplishes what School Days did. That why I tend to hold School Days in high regards among the romances and harem shows.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote