AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-06, 18:26   Link #1
[Titan]
Tenshi

I just noticed some (new?) button at the bottom of my post, and I don't recall seeing that there before. Something about "add post to reputation". I also noted the reputation thing in my Profile, but it seems to be disabled.

So, what's the deal with this reputation thing? Is it enabled? How does it work?

Thanks in advance
Old 2003-11-06, 18:26   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I notice that GHDPro has just enabled the user reputation on the forum. This enables people to rate each other's posts. (There's a new icon next to reply.) Positive feedback will raise reputation while negative feedback will lower it. You can only rate each post once. I've also noticed that there is a choice under user options to make reputation visible to others...

I'm curious what other people think about this forum feature.
  • Is it a good thing?
  • Do you want others to know your reputation?
    It displayed as a colored dot (bar?) under your avatar. Black is disabled, green (maybe other colors?) seems to be enabled?
  • Do you think everyone's reputation should be automatically visible without an option to turn it off?
  • Do you think this feature should be disabled.
  • Do you think this feature will be abused or misused?
    Like someone purposefully searching for every post someone made just so that they can rate it badly to lower reputation.
I'd also like it if someone can tell me more about what reputation is and how it is used. Unfortunately I know very little about it. Has anyone else seen this feature used on another VB3 board? If so, how did it work out?

Edit: I just noticed that [Titan] Created a similar thread less than a minute before I created mine. I merged the two to prevent confusion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-06, 18:32   Link #3
[Titan]
Tenshi

good thing?
Time will tell...

Others to know my reputation?
Sure, I've got nothing to hide As long as it's a bit out of the picture, I'd like to see it next to my post, but not as a huge coloured bar, something a bit more subtle would be nice. (in order to prevent competition)

Automaticaly visible?
erm, after NoSanninWa's explanation, no

Should it be disabled?
Let's try it, it can always be turned off if things don't work out.

Abuse?
Again, time will tell...
Old 2003-11-06, 18:34   Link #4
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Ummm... you seem to misunderstand one of my questions. By automatically visible, I meant that you wouldn't be able to turn it off... after all, someone can always turn it off if their reputaion begins to suffer. Then would it mean anything? Or would people who turn off their reputation be suspected?

Incidently a little experimentation and looking at the mod control panel has revealed that reputation begins at 10 and is raised or lowered by 1 point for each feedback. (I can find an exact number instead of a slowly growing bar.)

Do you dare to find out how others rate you by turning it on?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2003-11-06, 18:51   Link #5
Lefteris_D

Ratings are bad. They may seem like a good thing at first but they always turn bad.
Old 2003-11-06, 19:22   Link #6
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
No harm in trying it a little bit.
If it turns out to be a defective feature, Im pretty sure we will deactivate it.
Old 2003-11-06, 19:45   Link #7
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Well, I doubt that everyone is mature enough to use this feature properly. For some people, it's all too easy to negatively rate any post where others disagree with them, regardless of how good, factual and well written the post is. Some people just can't stand others disagreeing with them.

But sure, let's try it for a while.
Old 2003-11-06, 19:50   Link #8
SirJeannot
AT Field

just made a comment for flashmolester

dunno what it is for .. but why not?
edit: let's try it then, and see if it "works"

Last edited by SirJeannot; 2003-11-06 at 19:51. Reason: didn't read grumpy hat post
Old 2003-11-06, 19:54   Link #9
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Ehh, how do I read comments now? (>")>
Old 2003-11-06, 19:56   Link #10
SirJeannot
AT Field

i don't have the slightest clue ^^
Old 2003-11-06, 20:04   Link #11
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Ah, cool..
User CP --> first page, there is a list with all the comments.

Ah, Im not a molester BTW.
Old 2003-11-06, 20:45   Link #12
The Small One

You may also read the comments by clicking on the rating-icon of the post to which the comment was given...
Actually I think this is a nice idea because trolls can easily be identified, presumed that there is enough feedback.
And I think the creators of the board have thought a while about how to implement it so that it is fair.
Actually we have nothing to loose by trying the feature, if it gets abused it can still be deactivated, or not?

Edit: Maybe "I approve"/"I disapprove" aren't really good choices; probably something like "This post was useful"/"unnecessary" would be better.

And: Why is it disabled per default?

Last edited by The Small One; 2003-11-06 at 21:17.
Old 2003-11-06, 21:09   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I just stumbled into a balance that checks the reputation system. It seems that it doesn't let you do things that are too much out of line, like rate only a single person. It is starting to look better to me.

Old 2003-11-06, 21:16   Link #14
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

This is available on ChristianForums (don't ask me why I post at ChristianForums... X_x) and it works quite well.
Old 2003-11-06, 21:32   Link #15
Forse
r00t for life

I think it's useless, but sure it's fun to play with as long as it's not abused.
Old 2003-11-06, 22:08   Link #16
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

There's another thing I was wondering about: The use for this feature. Is there limit to the number of ratings you can do per hour or day? I think there should be.

The thing is what the members of the forums think this feature is for. I'm sure some will try to rate every single post they read; "I think this one's good, so is this, this one's a little bad" etc. While other, dare I say "more sensible" people, will rate only posts they find exceptional, be it good or bad, posts that stand out from the crowd, that there is special reason to rate. Posts that add to (or detract from) the overall quality of the forums. I think such a use would be a lot more useful for this board.
Old 2003-11-06, 23:52   Link #17
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
I think that this feature should be disabled for it is very easy to abuse it (same with the post count-last time it created so many useless threads and posts that it was impossible to tell which one was worth reading). I know that there are some good points about it, but unfortunately, in the real world, there are more "bad" people than "good" people.
Old 2003-11-07, 03:21   Link #18
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
There's another thing I was wondering about: The use for this feature. Is there limit to the number of ratings you can do per hour or day? I think there should be.
AFAIK there is a limit of 10 ratings per day per default and you can only rate the person a second time, after I think 20 others rated the same person in the meanwhile... or was it like you have to rate 20 others until you can rate this person again?

However, to all those people fearing that the feature could be abused: Like I already wrote I'm pretty sure the developpers thought about all this possibilities and made it hard to abuse it.

BTW, I think the fullquote-checkbox in the quick reply field is worth more worries.
Old 2003-11-07, 04:42   Link #19
SirJeannot
AT Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Ah, cool..

User CP --> first page, there is a list with all the comments.

Ah, Im not a molester BTW.
he he
Old 2003-11-07, 05:59   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I notice that GHDPro has just enabled the user reputation on the forum. This enables people to rate each other's posts. (There's a new icon next to reply.) Positive feedback will raise reputation while negative feedback will lower it. You can only rate each post once. I've also noticed that there is a choice under user options to make reputation visible to others...

I'm curious what other people think about this forum feature.
  • Is it a good thing?
  • Do you want others to know your reputation?
    It displayed as a colored dot (bar?) under your avatar. Black is disabled, green (maybe other colors?) seems to be enabled?
  • Do you think everyone's reputation should be automatically visible without an option to turn it off?
  • Do you think this feature should be disabled.
  • Do you think this feature will be abused or misused?
    Like someone purposefully searching for every post someone made just so that they can rate it badly to lower reputation.
I'd also like it if someone can tell me more about what reputation is and how it is used. Unfortunately I know very little about it. Has anyone else seen this feature used on another VB3 board? If so, how did it work out?

Edit: I just noticed that [Titan] Created a similar thread less than a minute before I created mine. I merged the two to prevent confusion.
Now this is odd, because... I really can't remember turning the reputation system on.
So my guess is somebody else did.

[...checking Administrator logs...]

Seems like Mb81 has been doing a TON of changes to my forum.
Closed Thread