AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 35 55.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 17 26.98%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 9.52%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-12, 18:51   Link #61
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"Don't grow up to be like me"
"We never asked for anything special"

Anyhow that was a pretty tense episode. Although Himari was ultimately saved at the end because Tabuki didn't want to go through with this anymore, it's still nice to see the limits of what Kanba and Himari will do for each other.

What's the point of clinging to a single destiny anyways? It just leads to nothing but destruction and an inability to show concern for the feelings of others. Sometimes the past is just the past, and living in it in attempt to magically undo everything is just not the way to go. This excessive idealization of Momoka by so many people is destructive.

Anyhow, Kanba's definitely the star today, with his voice acting and Ringo has run into the revelation that there are other things in the world to care about. I'll give this a 9

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-13, 09:42   Link #62
ookamigirl

Geez, this anime is just confusing me more & more.
Those flashback don't always help the story..
Himari was in some serious trouble this time.
Never thought Tabuki would take this path.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2011-11-13, 12:05   Link #63
Jarmel

Didn't like how they handled Tabuki.
Old 2011-11-13, 18:26   Link #64
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

just a random aside to kanba's motivations...

he's going to great lengths to protect himari/sho/his family. i mean, i always go back to how in denial he was about his parents being terrorists.

there's been a lot of speculation that kanba may not be related to sho/himari, so maybe he was taken to the child broiler too and was then rescued by the takakura family?

it explains his denial about his parents crimes and the great lengths he goes in order to protect his family, like how he would rather taint himself and that sho should just keep smiling

and maybe he was abandoned by natsume's family? i mean, he hates her family for some reason. they know each other. natsume said this episode that she won't leave him with them any longer, like she has ownership over him or something.

crazy theory perhaps, but its growing more likely with every episode.
Old 2011-11-13, 21:03   Link #65
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I am still not sure how Kanba and Himari were saved..I mean there was a big drop...also it irritated me how Himari seemed so calm being in that tub about to drop to her death. Overall a good episode.
Old 2011-11-14, 13:43   Link #66
4Tran

Mawaru Penguindrum - Episode 18

Great episode, penguin-class show, anime of the forever, etc.

The composition/choreography/editing of the cable scene is really weird, and it doesn't seem to work properly. It doesn't take away from the impact of the scene so it doesn't really matter though.

Overall, the presentation of families in Penguindrum and how they work or don't work together is endlessly fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
...also it irritated me how Himari seemed so calm being in that tub about to drop to her death.
She was resigned to her fate and she didn't want Kanba to sacrifice himself for her. It's questionable whether she was acting or not.
Old 2011-11-14, 15:51   Link #67
ele-ene-ene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

As a side note, that's probably the most surprising thing about this series. Usually when you have stories with lots of puzzle pieces people are practically falling over each other to put them together and guess future events and even the ending. I think this is the first series where no one really knows what is going to happen but even with all of the clues given to us, it's difficult to dissect what has happened to create speculation with.
Precisely, nobody can deduce what will happen, because in reality the clues they give us are not very useful. For example, nobody knew anything about Natsume’s grandfather, or Yuri's father or Tabuki’s mother... How speculate about that? Nobody made connection between Tabuki’s scars with a piano because there never was any piano before. And there are some inconsistencies, Momoka change the world to save Yuri, but when she saves Tabuki the world remains unchanged, unlike as expected ¿Momoka will change the world again, Tokyo tower will be replaced for the Tokyo Sky Tree? Maybe, or maybe not, surely.
Everything is like a perpetual introduction, where we have new things all the time pointing in different directions and there are many elements, but are not sufficient or are not the one necessary for the viewer to solve the posed puzzles.

I think it's deliberate and Ikuhara tries to prove a point, can be catch the viewer in a pincer movement exploiting the "Zeigarnik effect" and the "paradox of uncertainty" at the same time.
"Paradox of uncertainty" relies on the ability of the audience to anticipate precisely what is to come, a premonition that is particularly enjoyable when things work out just as we imagined:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
...Usually when you have stories with lots of puzzle pieces people are practically falling over each other to put them together and guess future events and even the ending

In this case, the "paradox of uncertainty" is illusory, (because we have no elements to solve most puzzles) but not less valid: the evidence are the many speculations that have arisen.

"Zeigarnik Effect" relies on the motivations of completion: subjects remember uncompleted or interrupted tasks better than completed tasks. A well known application of this effect is the cliffhanger, so prevalent in Mawaru Penguindrum.
It is also used Ikuihara creating other new puzzles (who are the rabbits? What is Sanetoshi’s medicine? Why PoC warns to Kanba “not be fooled”? How continues now the relationship between Yuri and Tabuki?...) which are superimposed to previous unanswered, unresolved interrupted tasks by the audience (What is Penguindrum? Kanba and Shoma are really brothers? Where are the Takakura's parents?...)

Wikipedia about suspense: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspense
Wikipedia about Zeigarnik Effect (sorry, in spanish) http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efecto_Zeigarnik

Old 2011-11-15, 13:11   Link #68
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
The composition/choreography/editing of the cable scene is really weird, and it doesn't seem to work properly.
Guess i can understand why someone would think that. Personally, i found how the scene was directed added much more impact then just your standard scene set-up.
Old 2011-11-15, 13:41   Link #69
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Guess i can understand why someone would think that. Personally, i found how the scene was directed added much more impact then just your standard scene set-up.
I'm referring to how Kanba's hold on the cable doesn't seem to do anything to support Himari's tub. It just looks like he's dangling from it. The scene still works overall for me because it's much more about the sentiments behind the event than it's about the physical actions. It's just a bit more jarring than it has to be.
Old 2011-11-15, 15:42   Link #70
Sheentaku

Can anyone explain why Yuri slapped Tabuki? They are clearly in a fake relationship why does Yuri care what Tabuki does? She wanted revenge too.

Actually I dont understand the relationship fullstop, why are they together in a sham marriage?
Old 2011-11-15, 17:21   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Although Yuri doesn't love him romantically, she still likes him as a friend, so hearing him say they're nothing more than strangers hurt her.

Still not sure what the point of that sham marriage was, other than screwing with Ringo.
Old 2011-11-16, 12:01   Link #72
Jao
panchi~

I am so confused over how Yuri, Tabuki and Momoka could ever have played together seeing as episode 15 very specifically implied they only knew eachother for a handful of days (At minimum two, at maximum a week) before she disappears. We can also assume she didn't have friends before then because of her super inferiority complex.

Also that fucking Child Broiler. What the hell?

This is pretty much the only anime I've ever seen where the mess of inconsistencies leave me wanting more rather than raging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Still not sure what the point of that sham marriage was, other than screwing with Ringo.
You can very liberally speculate that they did it out of concern for Ringo to force her to stop mooning after Tabuki forever, but again that's inconsistent. As is the fact that if Tabuki and Yuri knew about the diary all along then they had any number of chances to steal it. So yeah.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2011-11-16, 16:00   Link #73
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jao View Post
I am so confused over how Yuri, Tabuki and Momoka could ever have played together seeing as episode 15 very specifically implied they only knew eachother for a handful of days (At minimum two, at maximum a week) before she disappears. We can also assume she didn't have friends before then because of her super inferiority complex.
Momoka didn't disappear after Yuri knew her for 2-7 days. In Episode 15, when Yuri said "she disappeared after that incident" she meant the subway ordeal, which probably happened months after she saved Yuri and Tabuki.
Old 2011-11-20, 14:27   Link #74
kitten320

I'm very confused about Tabuki's flashback... what exactly happened there?
Old 2011-11-20, 15:00   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

If I were to guess it looked like some sort of place between life and death or another weird place cut off from time and space like the Penguin Queens Seizon Senryaku place and the Doctors weird library. Tabuki was about to die but Momoka used her fate changing powers to save him like she did Yuri. We don't fully know why he ended up there in the first place (except it obviously had something to do with him not being wanted in his own family) but if the next episode is any indication it looks like we might get an answer to that soon enough.
Closed Thread