AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-04-24, 22:55   Link #6661
S.Freedom

Naw I'd actually just scrap the Eternal in favor of the Minerva. Or at the very least make it some sort of museum piece or something. At this point, the eternal is purely symbolic and nothing more.

Besides, any benefit the Eternal could provide could easily be taken over by the Minerva. I mean it did house the Destiny and Legend after all. If the Minerva's hanger facilities can maintain them, maintaining the S.Freedom wouldn't be much different.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:09   Link #6662
Destined_Fate

I don't see it as the Minerva would a complete overhaul to fit in METEORs along with the Impulse stuff.

I have no doubt that the Minerva could fit the Destiny, (Destiny) Impulse, and Strike Freedom along with grunts. I just don't see how it will be able to accommodate METEORs as well is all without changing it drastically.

If anything they're better off keeping the Eternal on ice and have it brought out when METEORs are needed and as a symbol. Minerva can be refitted and fixed up to continue as the Flag Ship, with some upgrades, and house the Gundams and the system for the Impulse or Impulses since considering how well it did in Destiny I'm sure they could get in cheaper models made that can make use of the packs too.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:14   Link #6663
S.Freedom

But keeping the Eternal around just for the meteors is a huge waste of recourses. Especially when those recourses can be put to better use making adjustments to the Minerva. And all it would require really is a minor expending of the launch catapult for the Impulse's various packs. Which would still allow for a decent number of grunts to be carried by the Minerva.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:25   Link #6664
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

How about just refit the Eternal to be able to operate on the atmosphere?
Old 2013-04-24, 23:35   Link #6665
monster

Both the Minerva (or its successor) and the Eternal have their respective places in ZAFT's military.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:36   Link #6666
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I don't see it as the Minerva would a complete overhaul to fit in METEORs along with the Impulse stuff.

I have no doubt that the Minerva could fit the Destiny, (Destiny) Impulse, and Strike Freedom along with grunts. I just don't see how it will be able to accommodate METEORs as well is all without changing it drastically.
I was thinking that since the Minerva can shoot out parts of the Impulse right, why not build the Meteors into pieces, then they can just shoot out the parts when needed. id think the Minerva is big enough to house several MS's and the Meteor parts.

Last edited by The American Average; 2013-04-24 at 23:52.
The American Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:40   Link #6667
Aquaman OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
personally i'd remove the Eternal by the end of Destiny its what 3 years old or something. why keep something that old considering how quickly technology advances in the Cosmic Era.
That doesn't apply to battleships. Only 2 new types of ships were created during Destiny. Minerva and Girty Lue, both of which were essentially variations of the Archangel design. The Archangel itself was Minerva's equal (it's refits to allow submersible ability made it superior in sea battles actually) and it's older than Eternal. Meanwhile the workhorse ships of both sides are the same ships that were in use since the beginning of Seed (EA's were modified to support mobile suits and that's it).

So while MS tech increases at a rapid pace to go from Ginn's to Strike Freedom in only 3 years, in that same time gap they haven't really made anything more inventive than the Archangel.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 23:52   Link #6668
S.Freedom

@The American Average I'm not sure I can see how they'd split a meteor into pieces. Though you have a point in that the Minerva seems big enough to carry one without sacrificing more than one MS imo.

On top of that, the Minerva is an all around superior combat unit compare to the Eternal. The Eternals main purpose is as a support ship that has some ship to ship combat abilities. The Minerva on the other hand is a full scale combat ship that can also support MS.

As for there not being much of a jump in capital ship abilities. I'd blame that on Fukuda trying to create to many parallels between the CE and UC universes. From my understanding the combat abilities of the capital ships didn't improve all that much from the end of first series to 0083.
Old 2013-04-24, 23:56   Link #6669
Destined_Fate

It would require more than just "Minor" changes to the Minerva. Especially since it, unlike the Eternal, was not built around using the METEORs. It would need a total revamp.

Besides, despite the ages of the Eternal it still managed to do quite well in the last few wars just fine. It also wouldn't be a great idea to just scrap it when it's only a few years old and still functional. That would be ridiculously expensive in of itself to be constantly replacing ships that are only a few years old with new ones.

Now if the Eternal was 10 or so years old than it would be understandable that they would retire/scrap it as it would aged quite a bit than.
Old 2013-04-25, 00:01   Link #6670
The American Average
2LMES

why are we thinking that it has to be the Meteors from Destiny those were huge and only worked with 1 Ship that was the Eternal. I'd bet Zaft would have to make a more practical version of the Meteor like a Meteor MKII that can be put into parts for easier transportation. Making it possible for more ships and getting more MS to use it. Just think a mass produced version of the Meteor
Old 2013-04-25, 00:03   Link #6671
Destined_Fate

Depends how long a time skip would be as they couldn't even do it between SEED and Destiny despite it being a great idea which no one even concerned. So I doubt anyone will be jumping at the idea as well, at least not readily.
Old 2013-04-25, 00:07   Link #6672
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Depends how long a time skip would be as they couldn't even do it between SEED and Destiny despite it being a great idea which no one even concerned. So I doubt anyone will be jumping at the idea as well, at least not readily.
well personally the time skip reason i kinda doubt with all the reused animation in the final battle of Destiny i think the writers were too lazy/in a hurry to come up with a new design.
Old 2013-04-25, 00:09   Link #6673
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
On top of that, the Minerva is an all around superior combat unit compare to the Eternal. The Eternals main purpose is as a support ship that has some ship to ship combat abilities. The Minerva on the other hand is a full scale combat ship that can also support MS.
They're not in competition, you know. If Lacus/Terminal/Clyne Faction can maintain the Eternal all those years, ZAFT would have no problem keeping it and still maintain any other ships it want to, like the Minerva.
Quote:
As for there not being much of a jump in capital ship abilities. I'd blame that on Fukuda trying to create to many parallels between the CE and UC universes. From my understanding the combat abilities of the capital ships didn't improve all that much from the end of first series to 0083.
Regardless of who's to blame, it means that the Eternal can still be useful.
Old 2013-04-25, 01:35   Link #6674
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Both the Minerva (or its successor) and the Eternal have their respective places in ZAFT's military.
Technically, without the Freedom and Justice, and the ship being stolen, no it doesn't. :V
Old 2013-04-25, 04:18   Link #6675
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Technically, without the Freedom and Justice, and the ship being stolen, no it doesn't. :V
Lacus returned with the Eternal at the end of Destiny.

But if they banned nuclear weapons again at the end of Destiny, then Kira won't be using the Strike Freedom and there won't be a need for the Eternal, although it could still be used by Lacus.

Last edited by monster; 2013-04-25 at 04:29.
Old 2013-04-25, 05:35   Link #6676
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Average View Post
well personally the time skip reason i kinda doubt with all the reused animation in the final battle of Destiny i think the writers were too lazy/in a hurry to come up with a new design.
Actually that's more of because Fukuda and Morosawa often failed to meet the regular deadlines so the animators had limited time to work on new frames.

Therefore, stock footage galore!

Quote:
Lacus returned with the Eternal at the end of Destiny.

But if they banned nuclear weapons again at the end of Destiny, then Kira won't be using the Strike Freedom and there won't be a need for the Eternal, although it could still be used by Lacus.
I'd actually like to see what Kira can do with a lower spec suit. Back when he can't beamspam his way to ultimate victory.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 05:38   Link #6677
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
I'd actually like to see what Kira can do with a lower spec suit. Back when he can't beamspam his way to ultimate victory.
Well, he can shoot and he can slash.
Old 2013-04-25, 05:44   Link #6678
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
I'd actually like to see what Kira can do with a lower spec suit.
Give him the Destiny? I'm pretty sure he can handle it.
Old 2013-04-25, 05:58   Link #6679
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Give him the Destiny? I'm pretty sure he can handle it.
If Kira can use a nuclear-powered mobile suit, he might as well stick with the Strike Freedom as it serves his current fighting philosophy better.

(I would like to see Kira pilot the N Dagger N, but too bad it's not a ZAFT mobile suit. ZAFT should make a Blitz-based mobile suit for Kira.)
Old 2013-04-25, 07:35   Link #6680
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
If Kira can use a nuclear-powered mobile suit, he might as well stick with the Strike Freedom as it serves his current fighting philosophy better.

(I would like to see Kira pilot the N Dagger N, but too bad it's not a ZAFT mobile suit. ZAFT should make a Blitz-based mobile suit for Kira.)
I still think he could use a suit that has multi-role capabilities. If he's not going to use something with a Hyper Deuterion reactor, He might as well go for heavy speed and range.

Somewhat a Freedom that has better thrust and maneuverability than his old one, but limited weaponry (Bazookas, Beam Saber, Rifle)(for speed, like the aile)... Then you could switch roles with a different backpack that has the Baleanas and the Railguns (Heavy bombardment, like the Launcher) , and to round up, A dragoon pack(Specialized pack, like the Sword)

Tags
mecha, seed it and weep