AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-09-06, 17:51   Link #11861
Discreet
The Fascist

Edit of I forget the number blah blah. Changes in bold, notes bolded and underlined.

Spoiler:

I'll be honest, I rushed a bit. I probably made a couple mistakes or missed some things. I'll go back and check it when I have the time.
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 01:48   Link #11862
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
[D-note: Why didn’t you mention Asahina as one of Taniguchi’s interests? Is she not interested in the cute shota boy or something?]
... I think it was decided from the beginning that no girl could possibly be interested in Mitsuuru...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 01:52   Link #11863
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... I think it was decided from the beginning that no girl could possibly be interested in Mitsuuru...
Exactly. Most girls don't want guys like that, at least sexually.

Kyonko just wants to cuddle him and take him home and call him George.

And yes, we're keeping the "Kyon-nee-chan". I'm sure I've heard something like that before, "X-onee-chan"... somewhere...

And no, not Ninjas. "Pilots" is supposed to be "Pirates" metaphorically put through Babelfish a few times.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 09:52   Link #11864
Discreet
The Fascist

It really doesn't have to be sexual... if I'm not mistaken there's a whole culture based around worshiping "idols" yet swearing to never filthy their body. In fact, that's pretty much how Mikuru goes about without getting harassed constantly, implied at least in the books. What with the secret "Mikuru fan club" or whatever it is. Nagato as well if I recall correctly.

And I'm not saying that I've never heard X-nee-chan or whatever (Although I think it's supposed to be x-neechan, but I'm no japanese expert), but if Mitsuuru is using "neechan" and Kyonko is using "sempai" then aren't both regarding each other as the superior in status? Does that work? I mean... is it allowed in the language or will it just end up making people (in Japan or those weabooed sufficiently) wincing?
Old 2008-09-07, 11:34   Link #11865
ijuinkun

I would opt for Mitsuru just calling her "Kyon-chan".
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 13:29   Link #11866
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
It really doesn't have to be sexual... if I'm not mistaken there's a whole culture based around worshiping "idols" yet swearing to never filthy their body. In fact, that's pretty much how Mikuru goes about without getting harassed constantly, implied at least in the books. What with the secret "Mikuru fan club" or whatever it is. Nagato as well if I recall correctly.

And I'm not saying that I've never heard X-nee-chan or whatever (Although I think it's supposed to be x-neechan, but I'm no japanese expert), but if Mitsuuru is using "neechan" and Kyonko is using "sempai" then aren't both regarding each other as the superior in status? Does that work? I mean... is it allowed in the language or will it just end up making people (in Japan or those weabooed sufficiently) wincing?
The idol thing only really works for girls, though. I don't remember any male idols...

If it was "onee-chan", than yes. He's just calling her "sister", not "big sister". Also, he's using "chan", not "san", so...

And I think the fact that each thinks the other superior hilarious, but I'm not exactly sure if that would work in the language.
Old 2008-09-07, 15:38   Link #11867
Discreet
The Fascist

I can name Yuki from Fruits Basket off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more.

And that's my point exactly concerning the honorifics... does it work?

Would people look at them weird if they were talking like that?

Would Kyonko feel weird being called that while saying sempai?
Old 2008-09-07, 16:29   Link #11868
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
And that's my point exactly concerning the honorifics... does it work?

Would people look at them weird if they were talking like that?

Would Kyonko feel weird being called that while saying sempai?
She says "senpai" automatically, though, without really thinking about it.

I only used that instead of "san" because that's how Ouran's Haruhi referred to her seniors, and...

I'm almost sure it works... but you'd have to ask a real weeaboo to know.
Old 2008-09-07, 16:55   Link #11869
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If it was "onee-chan", than yes. He's just calling her "sister", not "big sister". Also, he's using "chan", not "san", so...

And I think the fact that each thinks the other superior hilarious, but I'm not exactly sure if that would work in the language.
Um, the "o" in "oneechan" signifies respect, not that she's older. If Mitsuru is calling Kyonko "Kyon-neechan," the he's calling her "Big Sister Kyon." Japanese doesn't have a word for just "brother" or "sister," they always have either "big" or "little" attached.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 17:04   Link #11870
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Um, the "o" in "oneechan" signifies respect, not that she's older. If Mitsuru is calling Kyonko "Kyon-neechan," the he's calling her "Big Sister Kyon." Japanese doesn't have a word for just "brother" or "sister," they always have either "big" or "little" attached.
Eh. I still think it's characteristic of Mitsuuru, who's latched on to her like that.

Besides, he does look younger...
Old 2008-09-07, 17:27   Link #11871
Discreet
The Fascist

Still, would they or either feel weird saying/hearing it? That's the most pressing issue.

And the reason I'm being a little anal with Taniguchi drooling over Mitsuuru as well as Yuuki is because Taniguchi has always been meant to be a horndog. Leaving it just with Yuuki, makes her seem less like a pervert and more like someone who has a crush.
Old 2008-09-07, 18:38   Link #11872
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Still, would they or either feel weird saying/hearing it? That's the most pressing issue.
Whether Mitsuru feels weird saying it depends on how pathetic he is. If Mitsuru is Just That Pathetic, then there shouldn't be a problem on his end. Maybe he eventually stops saying it as Haruki makes him manlier.

Considering how weird the entire situation already is, Kyonko shouldn't find it too much of an addition to the weirdness.
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 18:40   Link #11873
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
Whether Mitsuru feels weird saying it depends on how pathetic he is. If Mitsuru is Just That Pathetic, then there shouldn't be a problem on his end. Maybe he eventually stops saying it as Haruki makes him manlier.

Considering how weird the entire situation already is, Kyonko shouldn't find it too much of an addition to the weirdness.
And he is indeed Just That Pathetic.
Old 2008-09-07, 19:03   Link #11874
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
And he is indeed Just That Pathetic.
Does he fit this trope: Extreme Doormat?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 19:28   Link #11875
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

I don't think so...but I refuse to take the bait and waste the rest of my day.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 19:30   Link #11876
ijuinkun

Given what Haruki does, Mitsuru might also be partially The Butt Monkey
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 22:14   Link #11877
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

Mitsuuru is the Butt Monkey. Big Mitsuuru is the Extreme Doormat, masquerading as something in between the Cool Old Guy and the Bishonen.
Old 2008-09-07, 23:24   Link #11878
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Spore distracted me. More specifically, it distracted me by making me troubleshoot the technical problems it gave me. (I think I need a less buggy video card.)

Quote:
She says "senpai" automatically, though, without really thinking about it.

I only used that instead of "san" because that's how Ouran's Haruhi referred to her seniors, and...

I'm almost sure it works... but you'd have to ask a real weeaboo to know.
The "senpai" thing is pretty much automatic. If they're your superior socially (by grades, by seniority, by experience), they get "senpai" by default. (I'm trying to switch to typing "senpai" instead of "sempai". I might slip up now and again.)

The "Kyonko-neechan" thing did strike me as a bit odd. Canon Kyon does act like a protective older brother to Mikuru, but she doesn't call him "Kyon-niichan". (In fact, nobody calls him "oniichan" or equivalent.) I figured that "Kyonko-neechan" would be fine for a one-off joke, but if it continues, there should probably be some explanation or comment why, including Kyonko's comparison about her real little brother not calling her "oneechan".
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-07, 23:29   Link #11879
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
The "senpai" thing is pretty much automatic. If they're your superior socially (by grades, by seniority, by experience), they get "senpai" by default. (I'm trying to switch to typing "senpai" instead of "sempai". I might slip up now and again.)

The "Kyonko-neechan" thing did strike me as a bit odd. Canon Kyon does act like a protective older brother to Mikuru, but she doesn't call him "Kyon-niichan". (In fact, nobody calls him "oniichan" or equivalent.) I figured that "Kyonko-neechan" would be fine for a one-off joke, but if it continues, there should probably be some explanation or comment why, including Kyonko's comparison about her real little brother not calling her "oneechan".
I'll put that in the next part when I get around to it.

Otouto needs some lines, because he is AWESOME.
Old 2008-09-07, 23:34   Link #11880
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Spore's out?

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan