AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Death Note Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 34 43.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 38.46%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 11.54%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-01, 19:38   Link #21
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinru View Post
Holy sh!t, that was crazy... so many plot twists in one ep.

To the poster above me, Death Note is surely a top notch Anime in it's genre. But my vote still goes to Monster, being the best crime/murder thriller.

Well I haven't seen Monster (although I've heard lots about it and intend at some point to watch it), but I don't mean murder mystery in the classic or literal sense...I mean I consider something like Detective Conan more superior than DeathNote if we're talking purely "whodunnit" type of murder mysteries...What I'm morso saying about Deathnote is the psycological warfare between individuals that's on the level of something like Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty with the back-drop of a highly spritual, LARGE-SCALE murder-thriller...it's not like "The Butler did it...", it's far more expansive than a single murder thriller or mystery while being epic and quaint at the same time...So I really meant the psycology of a scenerio that's far more unique than some Hardy Boys murder mystery...

On another note I really need to watch Monster because I've heard such great things, just never got around to watching it...The episode count kinda scares me because I might watch all 70 plus in a row if it's that good and I can't afford to waste much more of my life other than a heavy dose of all the animes I like once a week...
Old 2006-12-01, 20:33   Link #22
myopius

Nice episode.

As people have pointed out, the voice can seem, odd at times. When I read the manga I imagined more of a crisp, clear, confident, and somewhat deeper voice, none of this theatrical "elegance" that I sense in this VA's voice. I think this fits better in situations like where you see Light laugh. In the anime, his laugh is so high-pitched he sounds like a clown, or maybe feminine, in a way which leaves you with the impression that it's just the laugh of a crazy idiot, when you were expecting an evil genius; in other words, a let-down.

The first ~20 seconds before the episode "began" (that is, the flashbacks before the episode title "Contact") came off somewhat ridiculous... It cuts to Light looking at a half-naked woman in a magazine with dramatic music as Chief Yagami is incredulous, then cuts to Light giggling inwardly as he opens the potato chips, then his famous line that ends in "take out a potato chip and eat it!" lol...

The echo effect when L told Light his identity was a bit too much, but still okay. It was an interesting effect to see them slow down time in order to play out Light's thoughts well. Although they exaggerated the shaking, I'm sure, since there's no way Light would be able to physically shake like that without L noticing.

So yeah, all in all very enjoyable. A lot of things were exactly like I imagined they would be.
Old 2006-12-01, 20:36   Link #23
Codex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitokirigirl View Post
OMG, I think I freaked out 100 times more than Raito. I never expected L to tell him directly.
Heheh, personally, I still found the moment when Light declared to Ray Penbar that he was Kira to be freakier, just because it was so out of the blue. My first thought was that he was simply going to shadow the man.

But yes, this was really awesome too. First, seeing those tell-tale unshod toes and - wow ... L has guts. I was expecting Light and L to meet up eventually, but hardly this soon. The story keeps upping the ante, and hardly an episode ever passes without the situation and circumstances being completely flipped on their heads.

Two thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
The first ~20 seconds before the episode "began" (that is, the flashbacks before the episode title "Contact") came off somewhat ridiculous... It cuts to Light looking at a half-naked woman in a magazine with dramatic music as Chief Yagami is incredulous...
I agree that that moment was really quite ridiculous. You've got a story about a few men of the law risking their lives to capture a megalomaniac serial killer - and in the backdrop of epic music, you have a father staring in utter disbelief as his teenaged son flips through that magazine. It does seem pretty exaggerated.
Old 2006-12-01, 22:53   Link #24
musouka

While I liked L before what took place in this episode, his actions here were what really cemented him as my favorite character.

To explain, Light does so many things that I find hard to swallow as coming from a "genius". No matter how many times the narrative tries to tell me how brilliant he is, I still think killing the FBI agents was utterly moronic and the TV in the bag of chips was a dumb move. Killing Lind was another one of those "what are you doing, idiot?!" moments for me. I also can't quite buy his winning over a supposedly smart woman like Naomi so easily. (Though the episode in question was amazingly executed otherwise)

L, on the other hand...he just seems genuinely intelligent to me. When I think about what he does and why he does it, his actions not only make sense but I'm impressed by them. The moment where he told Light who he was in the manga completely shocked me, but it was a brilliant move. Every time I think about the carefully calculated risk, I literally shake my head in amazement.

Light can pull off his plans, but a lot of what he does ultimately seems so pointless or silly except in terms of moving the plot along.
Old 2006-12-01, 23:12   Link #25
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well I haven't seen Monster (although I've heard lots about it and intend at some point to watch it), but I don't mean murder mystery in the classic or literal sense...I mean I consider something like Detective Conan more superior than DeathNote if we're talking purely "whodunnit" type of murder mysteries...What I'm morso saying about Deathnote is the psycological warfare between individuals that's on the level of something like Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty with the back-drop of a highly spritual, LARGE-SCALE murder-thriller...it's not like "The Butler did it...", it's far more expansive than a single murder thriller or mystery while being epic and quaint at the same time...So I really meant the psycology of a scenerio that's far more unique than some Hardy Boys murder mystery...

On another note I really need to watch Monster because I've heard such great things, just never got around to watching it...The episode count kinda scares me because I might watch all 70 plus in a row if it's that good and I can't afford to waste much more of my life other than a heavy dose of all the animes I like once a week...
From reading your post it becomes clear that you will HAVE to watch monster sooner or later. Light and L might be smart, but none of what ive seen so far comes even close to the analytic genius that is johan
I would compare both shows as well. However, I heard that Death Note will turn bad pretty soon, while Monster stayed equally ingenious throughout every one of the 70+ episodes, so at the end of the day my vote would go for it as well.
But well, so far all 9 Episodes were great, so lets see when the quality starts to decrease.
Old 2006-12-01, 23:52   Link #26
retardation
phantom loser

why did he take out the cameras and bugs? i know he doesn't need them in there anymore but it wouldn't hurt just to keep them.
Old 2006-12-02, 03:41   Link #27
vhx

I watched the first 20 eps of monster and wasn't at all impressed by it, and stopped watching. Death Note is bounds ahead of it IMO.

This episode was indeed another awesome one, will be crazy to see them being friends during the day, trying to manipulate each other into giving themselves up and at night trying to decipher the day learning more about each other. Can't wait.
Old 2006-12-02, 03:57   Link #28
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
why did he take out the cameras and bugs? i know he doesn't need them in there anymore but it wouldn't hurt just to keep them.
because he wanted light (who he suspects might be kira) to act normal again and by removing the cam/bugs it means to him that hes off the hook and can start killing in peace again...
but this is followed by what happenes next in this ep...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-12-02, 04:38   Link #29
anselfir
Style Über Alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumofin View Post
From reading your post it becomes clear that you will HAVE to watch monster sooner or later. Light and L might be smart, but none of what ive seen so far comes even close to the analytic genius that is johan
I would compare both shows as well. However, I heard that Death Note will turn bad pretty soon, while Monster stayed equally ingenious throughout every one of the 70+ episodes, so at the end of the day my vote would go for it as well.
But well, so far all 9 Episodes were great, so lets see when the quality starts to decrease.
hopefully the contrived situations become more realistic. I dont want to see TV in potato chips ever again, come on.

edit: oh great, where did L pull that 5% from, I really dislike that fake empiricism. -______-

Last edited by anselfir; 2006-12-02 at 15:22.
Old 2006-12-02, 04:39   Link #30
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Is it me, or did the animation quality suffer a bit?
This episode didn't seem quite as smooth as the last few.
Old 2006-12-02, 12:26   Link #31
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

the animation quality definitely dropped by abit, though its not to the point where its unwatchable. Im still kinda curious tho. WHy was ryuk so "surprised" that he was speechless when light went to university, rofl?
Old 2006-12-02, 16:52   Link #32
willem113
I wanna go peeping ^^

Send a message via MSN to willem113
Damm this was a fine ep.

This was the first time i have seen Light that pissed off.
And for L to just come up to him and say: I am L,
toke some real guts.
Old 2006-12-02, 18:05   Link #33
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Another brilliant episode i have to admit that L has some giant BALLZ to do what he did. But at this point i think whoever is willing to take the most risk is the one thats going to win. Playing it safe has worked for Kira so far but its not going to last forever. ITs already been shown that when you rattle Kira's buttons he becomes undone and that was most evident in this episode. The fact that Kira became distraught over these circumstances shows that L is playing for keeps and Kira did expect L to go that far.

I just finished downloading Deathnote the movie so i think ill check that out so i can satisfy deathnote cravings
Old 2006-12-02, 18:14   Link #34
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence. View Post
Is it me, or did the animation quality suffer a bit?
This isn't the first episode to be like that. It seems as though a few episodes get the good treatment (Episode 01, Episode 07) and others don't. I'm not complaining 'cause at the end of the day animation doesn't make everything, though there where a few good scenes in episode 09 that would have looked good with the excellent quality we've seen in the past.
Old 2006-12-02, 18:35   Link #35
evil-samurai

Although Light laughing at the ending looked a little werid.. it was Great!

Watching L this time was Interesting! He kinda even freaks me out, and just the voice that he spoke in, to tell Light he was L was freaky. Still it cant beat the moment Light told Naomi he was Kira, that really was a sad way to be Die :/

Animation hasn't been to bad, I wasn't expecting extremely consistent animation from the show but still I get dissapointed >.> at least it isn't horrible as some shows this season.
Old 2006-12-02, 18:55   Link #36
pepitomilburn
Shinobi

Send a message via Yahoo to pepitomilburn
This Anime just keeps me wanting more, all the twists and turns. I can't help but laugh whenever Light or L become frustrated for lacking behind the other! I love the intest feeling you get while watching.
Old 2006-12-02, 21:13   Link #37
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Nice twist. I'm a bit disappointed at L though, for not using remote audio surveillance (without bugs in the house) after removing the bugs to put Light at ease in case he was Kira (we know he is, but L doesn't know that for sure yet). Remote audio surveillance would have cinched it ages ago for that matter. Guess it would cut the story too short eh.

Also... When L told him who he was, wasn't Light's closing of the eyes and clenching of the fists a tad suspicious? Seems to me L would notice little things like that.

Oh, and Light losing his cool - priceless.
Old 2006-12-02, 21:57   Link #38
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
something I just noticed, though it's probably been going on for a few eps now. But in the intro during the part where it zooms in on Light's face and then L's while they are standing facing eachother in some corridor, it looks like they changed Light's eye color from it's normal red color to a gray seed-mode looking eye. Is that supposed to symbolize anything?
Old 2006-12-02, 22:15   Link #39
Levski
Banned

First thing first.

To the guy's bitching about the T.V in the bag and the 5 % statistic from L shut the hell up.

Putting the T.V in the bag was an ingenious trick tought up by Light. He realized that he might be forced to show in his house that he is studying and somehow kill criminals while it does not appear at all that he is watching T.V. He tought of that well a head of time and did this just amazingly simple trick. Opened the bag. Put the camer in. Glued it back up. BAM that is just damn smart.

Second the L comment i am not sure it is suppose to be 5%. I think the subbers MIGHT have messed up, because i saw the episode on You Tube and the one i watched said 50% instead of 5%.

Also 50% is an easy guess , because Light fills the critera of suspicious as hell:

a) student
b) dad working on Kira case
c) survailanced by Ray Penbar who died in a weird place looking into the subway train meaning Kira was there.

Second the episode was just awsome. I felt the tension here as well. The art suffered a bit, but it got the point across. I was too into watching to notice a small thing such as normal art instead of super art like in the other episodes.

I was really drawn into the episode especially when Light start thinking in his head during the college school meeting after he was told the guy next to him was L. He was freaking out.

NEXT THE TENIS MATCH OF DEATH!!!
Old 2006-12-02, 23:07   Link #40
myopius

It's 5%. You have to remember that the suspicions that Kira is a student connected to the NPA and that Kira made contact with Penbar are just suspicions. L has been following through on these leads but for all he knows, Kira could have planned the deaths to make it seems like he was a student and then done them every hour just to make fun of L for arriving at a conclusion he'd tricked L into reaching. There are also different ways Kira's actions in the Lind L. Tailor incident could be reinterpreted, as L himself evidenced by second-guessing himself briefly in episode 3. L had pretty much already made up his mind that although Kira killed supernaturally, murder is something human. Of course it's safe for L to start off with that assumption because if it's false then he would have great difficuly getting anywhere on the case. However, from there on, he's been pretty much just following any evidence he can, none of which has been certain, hoping that he's taking a correct lead and trusting his instincts, and so that's why in the end, all this only amounts to 5%. For all he knows, this whole situation will end in another coded message about fantastical beings eating round red objects. For instance, the assumption that Kira needs both a name and face to kill is one which he's believed since he analyzed the information released about the victims, and this is why what he's doing in approaching Yagami Light is a risk; for all he knows, Kira only needs a name to kill remotely, but can fix the death of someone if he can see their face within physical range, too, for instance. (And as it turns out, the eyes deal /would/ make L's assumption incorrect about needing both a face and a name, so it's fortunate that there's a price to pay for that as well the fact that Light-as-Kira can't kill him because it might not be L and he'd be putting himself under suspicion.)

This is a problem you run into when dealing with the supernatural in your detective work, and why Light should always have the advantage; when he knows exactly what L is capable of (things restricted within the laws of physics) but L doesn't know what he's capable of, he can account for everything while L can't.