Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-02, 02:49   Link #2421
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
-I DO NOT understand why at the end Princess Hitei suddenly did a 180 personality change, and becomes Shichika's latest sidekick. The girl who sat in her room throughout the entire series, acting with calm and calculation (much like Togame's old self. Parallel!) suddenly becomes the Togame like partner, and also a flirtatious, energetic character?
As much as some people hate it, that is Hitei's true self. It's a part of her personality she's been hiding (or rather, denying) all along. Now that everyone she's been denying it to for so long is dead, she can act how she wants to freely. It also ties into how Togame said herself once that she and Hitei are not that dissimilar, and it's probably also part of the reason that Hitei actually did not dislike Togame. It's because they were, in fact, more alike than they knew.
Old 2011-01-09, 12:24   Link #2422
Infinite Gatari

Interesting Discussion, here is my opinion about Katanagatari:

It has a beautiful artstyle, the animation is above average and the main characters have chemistry and their romance is in the league of Lawrence and Holo.
I also got the impression that some parts of the story were a satire of the shounen genre, especially the Maniwa Corps. I even noticed some other anime-references.
Also Togame had the best design for a female character in 2010 and one of the most erotic clothing ever. The story was surprisingly interesting even if you need to know a bit about Japanese History to really enjoy it. Most people seem to have a problem with the way it ended but after I rewatched the series, the last episode made almost perfect sense and was badass.
But I have to admit that I was in complete shock and sad when it ended the first time.
It also has very good music and voice acting.
One of the best animes in 2010 and for me it is among the best I've watched in recent years.

I've recently bought both soundtracks. They should arrive next week. So if OST 2 isn't uploaded until then I can upload mine.

Last edited by Infinite Gatari; 2011-01-09 at 12:49.
Infinite Gatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 13:25   Link #2423
Bern-san

managed to watch the series, one of the best for 2010

loved the two main characters and i was very sad about how it ended. not what i expected but still a good ending for me

the design of the characters and the landscape in general is one of the greatest things about Katanagatari

also the two openings and all the endings i liked them, must find the OST....

a 9.5/10
Old 2011-01-12, 05:55   Link #2424
Sol Falling

Watched episode 12 today :P. 'Twas pretty okay.

Togame's exposition wasn't very shocking. The gauntlet, on the other hand, was unexpectedly dull. I had trouble understanding why Shichika killed the Shogun; not for revenge or loyalty, but to make an example? For whom?

Overall the series seemed to convey its significance in who lived and died. The concluding narration about a happy story of ignoble lives ending in death and failure was legitimately moderately convincing. I feel now that this series must certainly have been about fleetingly touched lives along the way. To have lived at all is joyful, and to struggle, meaninglessly, until giving oneself over to death is nature. Katanagatari has been a story of many passings, and of passings yet to come, and the moral I come away with is that they were all meaningful in their meaninglessness. The story genuinely touches me in my disconnectedness to any specific character and a feeling that all life and stories are one.

Altogether this work has been somewhat disappointing and mediocre in execution. I've felt spots of genuine value here and there though which is still better than I can say for most anime. In the end Katanagatari seems to have both failed and surpassed my expectations. I guess I'll remember and forget it in the future for what it managed to be.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-13, 18:47   Link #2425
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Watched episode 12 today :P. 'Twas pretty okay.

Togame's exposition wasn't very shocking. The gauntlet, on the other hand, was unexpectedly dull. I had trouble understanding why Shichika killed the Shogun; not for revenge or loyalty, but to make an example? For whom?

Overall the series seemed to convey its significance in who lived and died. The concluding narration about a happy story of ignoble lives ending in death and failure was legitimately moderately convincing. I feel now that this series must certainly have been about fleetingly touched lives along the way. To have lived at all is joyful, and to struggle, meaninglessly, until giving oneself over to death is nature. Katanagatari has been a story of many passings, and of passings yet to come, and the moral I come away with is that they were all meaningful in their meaninglessness. The story genuinely touches me in my disconnectedness to any specific character and a feeling that all life and stories are one.

Altogether this work has been somewhat disappointing and mediocre in execution. I've felt spots of genuine value here and there though which is still better than I can say for most anime. In the end Katanagatari seems to have both failed and surpassed my expectations. I guess I'll remember and forget it in the future for what it managed to be.
Nice dual talk

Catches the essence of the show perfectly too

and not to mention fits my style <3
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 20:12   Link #2426
303iD

Well for those of us, like me who likes that song right before the end of ep 8 [vocals by Lotus Juice ]. Lay Back to hold us over, enjoy! http://prostopleer.com/#/tracks/4708743DkvO
303iD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 11:40   Link #2427
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

A couple of words about Katanagatari-flavored anpans.
Yes, there are Katanagatari-flavored anpans.
Even though the product is called manjyus, they really look more like anpans.
Not that I had any of those before.

When it comes to Katanagatari, food is the least possible merchandise I could've imagined.
How is it even possible?
Well, it's all about the fillings. Supposedly, they are based on the traditional fillings from each region Togame and Shichika visited during the course of their journey!

The rest is under the cut (includes photos)
Spoiler for size:

It also comes with a serial number - there are only 2000 sets! Mine is 865, though it is obviously registered for another person who made obtaining this set possible for me.
Kanna is already done for. Quite tasty and very sweet.

Cheerio!
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 11:46   Link #2428
daniel0987

Translation Project

Hey guys, I obtained all of the light novels of Katanagatari and is starting on a fan translation. Look forward to it! Now to find a suitable site to host the translation.

Translation will be quite slow as I have to proofread everything and make sure the feeling is captured. Translation will be done using the Taiwan translation which is of no or just slight difference in the words. I.e Togame's name.

Other than that. Look forward to it!
daniel0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 12:18   Link #2429
Bern-san

that's great! i'll look forward to the translation
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 13:34   Link #2430
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
A couple of words about Katanagatari-flavored anpans.
Yes, there are Katanagatari-flavored anpans.
Even though the product is called manjyus, they really look more like anpans.
Not that I had any of those before.

When it comes to Katanagatari, food is the least possible merchandise I could've imagined.
How is it even possible?
Well, it's all about the fillings. Supposedly, they are based on the traditional fillings from each region Togame and Shichika visited during the course of their journey!

The rest is under the cut (includes photos)
Spoiler for size:

It also comes with a serial number - there are only 2000 sets! Mine is 865, though it is obviously registered for another person who made obtaining this set possible for me.
Kanna is already done for. Quite tasty and very sweet.

Cheerio!
And now I'm hungry... Damn you!
Old 2011-01-17, 13:42   Link #2431
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel0987 View Post
Hey guys, I obtained all of the light novels of Katanagatari and is starting on a fan translation. Look forward to it! Now to find a suitable site to host the translation.

Translation will be quite slow as I have to proofread everything and make sure the feeling is captured. Translation will be done using the Taiwan translation which is of no or just slight difference in the words. I.e Togame's name.

Other than that. Look forward to it!
Oh man....the light novel might ruin the good impression people have on this series. I mean the original source certainly provides much more information but.....well you guys will see when it comes out.

BTW wouldn't bake-tsuki be an appropriate site to host it?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 06:53   Link #2432
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Do we have an English track listing for the second soundtrack?
Old 2011-01-20, 09:54   Link #2433
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Oh man....the light novel might ruin the good impression people have on this series. I mean the original source certainly provides much more information but.....well you guys will see when it comes out.
Just out of curiousity...why do you say that?

Must admit, I read the first volume,
Spoiler for one line impression:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 05:00   Link #2434
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Just out of curiousity...why do you say that?

Must admit, I read the first volume,
Spoiler for one line impression:
Because Nisio had to write one every month and it was clear that he had to pad the hell out of the novels.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 16:34   Link #2435
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Do we have an English track listing for the second soundtrack?
1. Peacock blue eyes
2.Tetsuka Butokei Danshi
3. Douse Konna no ga Suki Desho?
4. Chidonya
5. Kairiki Doujo
6. Kiwamete Okimari na...
7. Her wish is to die too
8. Ootori
9. Bad lake
10. Hanetsuki Imouto
11. Lay back
12. Sonatine for flute & piano
13. Death flag No. 1
14. Hannyaharamitta
15. Oikakete DnB
16. Death flag No. 2
17. Watashi wa Sonata ni Horete mo Ii ka?
18. Last Battle
19. Bahasa Palus jazz'n mix
20. With best wishes

all I could find,it's "out" now too.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 17:11   Link #2436
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^I asked for English.
Old 2011-01-24, 14:13   Link #2437
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Bust out a Japanese-English dictionary, a Japanese language textbook, and/or a translation website. Or just keep Google-ing words/phrases until you get some general idea.

That should get the job done.
Old 2011-01-24, 14:20   Link #2438
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Bust out a Japanese-English dictionary, a Japanese language textbook, and/or a translation website. Or just keep Google-ing words/phrases until you get some general idea.

That should get the job done.
Really didn't need such a witty reply, but whatever. I asked if anyone has come across an English translation, not how to translate it.
Old 2011-01-25, 20:49   Link #2439
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

love this song from the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm-zTKIzuRk
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-28, 08:08   Link #2440
daniel0987

Fan Translation

http://daniel0987.livejournal.com/514.html

Here is my unofficial Fan Translation. Done prologue chapter of Kanna already. Starting on Chapter 1.

Pardon my sort of weird grammar.
daniel0987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy