AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-01, 11:58   Link #1
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Marimite S2 Ep.05 (official thread)

This episode seems longer than other episodes, is it because I see more Youko?

My only complain is that it takes more than 3 episodes for this graduation arc.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-01, 13:25   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Marimite S2 Ep.05 (official thread)

(ノД`)シクシク The roses all graduated... ゜(゚´Д`゚ )゜。ウァァァン

It was a very good episode, although the frequent interchanging between different sakuga really stood out throughout the episode. I hope they standardize it to one sakuga on the DVD releases (or, perhaps all the sakkan and genga artists involved in this anime wanted to do this episode, they all got involved?)

Wow! Satou Nobuko (the girl behind Satou Sei when she is standing in line) is very cute!! m,moe~... In the novel, Satou Nobuko is the one that tells Sei that the line is moving, and she sighs jokingly that she always got the short-end of the stick all these years for being the unfortunate person who is always after Sei in Japanese alphabetical order.

Aww...Eriko and Sei at Lillian kindergarten is so cute~. Eriko and Sei both met at Lillian kindergarten. Their first meeting didn't go so well as Eriko suddenly went up to Sei and asked her "Are you American?" In the novel, Sei was asked repeatedly by strangers as a child how "she doesn't look Japanese" due to her light colored hair and deep checkbone. It was a delicate age for Sei, and she often pondered why she was different from the rest. Eriko then suddenly pops up in their first meeting with such a question, and Sei just snapped. Sei got pissed off at Eriko for her rudeness and lashed back by "Go away, you deko-chin!" Deko-chin is a rude way calling someone somewhat similar to "big-forehead" Hence, now you have one of the relationship chart explained in the Marimite relationship chart. Sei and Eriko will remain archrivals, and when they came into the same class in middle school each looked at each other in disgust (laughter).

About Youko's meeting with Eriko and Sei. Youko came into Lillian in middle school by taking the entrance exam. By this time, there were two groups of students: those who were in Lillian from the beginning (from kindergarten and elementary school) and those who took the entrance test and came from the "outside." Sei and Eriko are in the former group, Youko was in the latter.

There is some discrepancy here between the novel and in the anime. In the anime, it seems as if Youko first approached Sei. In the novel also, the story about Youko's encounter with Sei was written first. As in the novel, it was Sei who told Youko about Lillian's tradition of calling one another by their "name+san":

Youko: "Satou-san, have you decided which club to join?"
Sei: [snickers] "hmph, Middle school admissioner huh..."
Youko: "Yes?"
Sei: "It has been a while since anyone in the same class has referred to me as 'Satou-san.' That was pretty fresh, Youko-san "
Youko: "Well thanks for telling me 'Sei-san' "

However, the novel goes a bit further several pages later that Youko met Eriko first. In their class, they needed to choose a class president - Mizuno Youko. Mizuno Youko in turn, wanted a vice-president to support her and she chose Torii Eriko. The novel writes their meeting as:

There was no need for two honor students in the same class. So I'll give that role to Youko. Besides, I was becoming weary of always being the one taking the leadership.

However, Eriko's plan failed when the time came to choose a class president. No one came foward to become a candidate, so the Eriko recommended Youko for the role. Then, Youko came foward and asked that she needed a partner to support her and she chose Eriko. Though Youko's reason was that 'she didn't know right-from-left as a newcomer to this school,' Eriko immediately jumped to the conclusion that this was Youko's way of getting back at me.

Therefore, Eriko had no choice but to spend an entire year with a person she didn't want to be involved with.

Youko: "Nice to meet you, 'Torii-san' "

I'd never forget that look on Youko's face. Therefore as a slight gesture of payback I did not correct her on her improper usage of calling someone else's name.

Judging that Youko didn't realize calling Sei as "Satou-san" as wrong until being told by her, it is apparent that Youko actually first met Eriko.

Note about Lilian Middle School's uniform. I was surprised how the animators did take note in the difference between the high school and middle school uniform even though this wasn't stressed until several volumes later in Volume 16: "Variety Gift." In the chapter "Chocola and Portrait" page 88, it details:

Although at first glance, the middle school uniform and the high school uniform looks very similar. However, there is one distinct difference above the chest area. In contrast to the sailor-collar itself becoming the tie in high school, the middle school uniform has a tie coming from the black line in the sailor-collar

Come to think about it, the anime missed one memorable flashback - the scene where Sei and Youko talk about how they write their name in kanji. Youko comments on how Sei's kanji is very holy (they word itself is the kanji for holy - 聖 ), yet Sei jokes that her name isn't fit to be explained with such a nice word. Sei opts to explain her kanji as "ear, mouth, and king" was suitable enough - the kanji word 聖 is made up of 耳 (ear), 口 (mouth), and 王 (king)

Sachiko cries a little too early compared to the novel. But overall, this scene did a good job, especially with Rei coming in to the rescue. And in the scene where Youko thinks about what would happen if she cried at the podium - that was excellent. In the novel, you also see Sei and Eriko's point of view if Eriko cried at the podium as did Sachiko, "if Youko ever cried at the podium, I'd just laugh." Eriko and Sei have a strong sense that Youko would never be so emotional so the thought of Youko crying is something they can never imagine.

Rosa Kanina farewell - she's off to Italy. Bon jour, and hopefully the anime will continue well afterwards this season is over when we shall meet again when they go to Italy for their field trip.

cries at scene of Tsutako-san taking pictures and background shot to the tune of "Aogeba Toutoshi."

Tsukiyama Minako-sama - don't worry, you have a terrific petit soeur - Yamaguchi Mami who would be making many appearances in your place very soon enough! Personally, I really love Mami-san as she is very energetic and begins to shine. Can't wait until she joins the same class as Yoshino and Yumi in their second year!! Too bad we won't get to Mami's encounter with Shimura Takuya...

Next episode:

Much as I thought that the story between Shimako and Noriko would never shine without before doing "Katate o Tsunaide," in which Sei and Shimako's first meet, I'm glad they are doing this episode! Watchers of Mari-mite should pay attention to this next episode because this is a very important prequel to Shimako and Noriko's meeting.

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-08-01 at 19:48.
Old 2004-08-02, 05:19   Link #3
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Did you guys see the preview for episode 6?

Sei's frame rate increase magic is back!

Super animation Sei!!!
Old 2004-08-02, 16:12   Link #4
RobertM
Kobe, not Osaka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
(ノД`)シクシク The roses all graduated... ゜(゚´Д`゚ )゜。ウァァァン

It was a very good episode, although the frequent interchanging between different sakuga really stood out throughout the episode. I hope they standardize it to one sakuga on the DVD releases (or, perhaps all the sakkan and genga artists involved in this anime wanted to do this episode, they all got involved?)
snip
Usually, when that happens, I get really annoyed, because it is just sloppy. But here, the variations in the character designs made them look more beautiful, actually too beautiful, as though they were not human, but made of cut glass. I wasn't sure how to react.
Old 2004-08-02, 23:35   Link #5
lordwu

Quote:
Much as I thought that the story between Shimako and Noriko would never shine without before doing "Katate o Tsunaide," in which Sei and Shimako's first meet, I'm glad they are doing this episode! Watchers of Mari-mite should pay attention to this next episode because this is a very important prequel to Shimako and Noriko's meeting.
Yes, it would be a key episode for the white rose family. It also reveals what happened between Sei, Sachiko and Shimako. I'm really looking forward to ep.6 and persumably next 2 episodes of Cherry Blossom. Hopefully they can bring out the suspense and emotions in the first part of Cherry Blossom successfully.
Old 2004-08-02, 23:40   Link #6
JokerD

Err.. this way be way too late but in ep 1 10:33 it states that yoshino is in the same class as yumi, I always thought that shimako is in the same class as yumi and yoshino is in another class, am I wrong?

Another thing, in ep3 21:18 "It's 'Yasukibushi' as known as 'Scooping Loaches'."
This sentence seems to be wrong.

I'm not looking for errors but these thing kinda just jumped out at me. Other than that, please keep up the good work.
Old 2004-08-03, 02:28   Link #7
lordwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD
Err.. this way be way too late but in ep 1 10:33 it states that yoshino is in the same class as yumi, I always thought that shimako is in the same class as yumi and yoshino is in another class, am I wrong?
Yoshino will be in the same class as yumi but not at the time of ep.1. I guess if you think class as grade/year then it makes sense too.
Old 2004-08-03, 05:42   Link #8
atua

As others have noted, I found the art for this episode very choppy and rather distracting. I wish they had just chosen one animation company per episode and be done with it. Or at least make sure they all draw in a consistent style. I hope this is not a sign to come for the rest of the season...

Despite this setback however, this was a really mushy and sentimental episode and I mean this in the best possible way. It was great seeing how all the bara-sama had met. I hadn't realised that Youko was a middle school admission. She seems to belong in Lillian so naturally that I have trouble imagining a time when she wasn't there. In fact, she oftens seems to belong more than Sei and Eriko, and they've been there since kindergarten!!

Other notable/favourite scenes include:
  • Sachiko's speech (and Rei's save)... I was shocked when I saw this. I never thought I'd ever see someone as reserved as Sachiko cry in public. I mean I knew she was very fond of Youko, et al but still... I liked this scene for showing a more personal side to Sachiko.
  • Shizuka's goodbye (and not farewell)... Very elegant and understated scene, and very much in character for all three people involved. I'm really going to miss Shizuka.
  • Minako... this was another surprising scene. I might be really offbase here, but was she actually apologising for stalking the Yamayurikai all year?!
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it would be a key episode for the white rose family. It also reveals what happened between Sei, Sachiko and Shimako. I'm really looking forward to ep.6 and persumably next 2 episodes of Cherry Blossom. Hopefully they can bring out the suspense and emotions in the first part of Cherry Blossom successfully.
Hehe, the first thing I did after I downloaded the raw this week was to check the next episode previews! Whilst I'm slightly disappointed that I have to wait an extra week to see Noriko, it's more than offset by getting the Sei/Shimako first meeting side story. I was starting to worry that we wouldn't see this story at all, or that it'll get truncated into the Cherry Blossom storyline as a series of flashbacks. I'm very excited about next week's episode and the upcoming Cherry Blossom storyline... next Sunday can't come soon enough!

Last edited by atua; 2004-08-03 at 07:17.
Old 2004-08-24, 22:18   Link #9
Hikata
Translator For AYU =)

Be happy Marimite Fans
We released Episode 5.
Enjoy!
Old 2004-08-24, 23:02   Link #10
Ayumu Kasuga ^oSaKa^
Epitaph of Twilight

Send a message via MSN to Ayumu Kasuga ^oSaKa^
Smile

Thanks a lot for the Ep 05 Hikata-chan! ^_^
Old 2004-08-24, 23:05   Link #11
The_Dreamer
One of those days

Send a message via AIM to The_Dreamer
Thank you!
Old 2004-08-25, 06:14   Link #12
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Great work from Ayu! A million thanks.
Old 2004-08-25, 09:07   Link #13
eobert

Yay ep 5! Thank you very much!
Old 2004-08-25, 10:36   Link #14
baik!
baik the cow!

Send a message via ICQ to baik!
i. love. marimite. too much.

kj1980's post was nearly as good as the episode!! >.<

a great episode, watching marimite teary-eyed has become a norm. the art was crisp, and i couldn't help noticing their eyelashes! the music really creates a good atmosphere too, so props to the musical director. i cried at the photo-shoot part too, it's so sad! but a wonderful kind of sad.

thanks alot for the hard work, Ayu! you guys and gals are the best! can't wait for the next one!
Old 2004-08-25, 16:05   Link #15
FlyByNite

Awww, little kindergarden Eriko and Sei fighting is so kawaii!!!! Haha.

I haven't really enjoyed this season as much as the first, but I think it's because the graduation of the roses has been this gloom that's hung over the entire season and just kept a lot of the jokes and cute stuff muted.

I'd guess that one of Shimako, Yumi, or Yoshino will get a petite souer who's very energetic/funny to try and make up for the lack of Sei...
Old 2004-08-26, 01:12   Link #16
Sharkbark
Annoying Fangirl

Send a message via AIM to Sharkbark
Thanks Ayu, this episode was great! ^_^

Heh, who else totally foresaw Sei jumping into the Rosa Chinensis family photo to grope Yumi? My sister and I knew immediately it was going to happen XD . Both of those pictures (with and without Sei) were incredibly cute .

I can't wait for the next episode . I've always been a Sei fan, but I'm slowly becoming a Shimako fan as well.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Ah, I forgot that I'd wanted to note that there seems to be an inconsistency between episode 4 and 5. In 4 the graduating students wear salmon pink roses (and it's even important enough that Sachiko comments on why), but through episode 5 the roses they wear are white :\ . Did I miss something?
Old 2004-08-26, 03:53   Link #17
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Those scenes when they take the photos are almost impossible to not get touched by.

*gets nostalgic about her own graduation* T_T

*sends bunch of roses to Ayu*
Old 2004-08-26, 21:17   Link #18
chamelean75

This doesn't really have to do specifically with episode 5 and I don't know if this has been answered before but since that is only one Rosa Gigantea , will Shimako have to be choosing two people or will she choose an en bouton and then that girls chooses someone.
Old 2004-08-26, 21:31   Link #19
Sweets Yumi
Queen Marimite ~♥~

Shimako should chose her petit souer, then next year, she should still be the ROSE (I doubt she will be voted against) since she is only 2nd year, and should still be in school.

So that would make her petit soeur, petit soeur for a 2nd year, and this 2nd year is when she(the petit soeur) would pick an en bouton. If she chosses to have one that is.

That's how I figure it (I could be wrong though ^__^)
Old 2004-08-26, 22:46   Link #20
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelean75
This doesn't really have to do specifically with episode 5 and I don't know if this has been answered before but since that is only one Rosa Gigantea , will Shimako have to be choosing two people or will she choose an en bouton and then that girls chooses someone.
First Year (from the vantage point of Yumi, Yoshino, and Shimako)

Rosa Chinensis: Mizuno Youko (third year)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton: Ogasawara Sachiko (second year)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton petit soeur: Fukuzawa Yumi (first year)

Rosa Gigantea: Satou Sei (third year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton: Toudou Shimako (first year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton petit soeur: N/A

Rosa Foetida: Torii Eriko
Rosa Foetida en bouton: Hasekura Rei
Rosa Foetida en bouton petit soeur: Shimazu Yoshino

Second Year (from the vantage point of Yumi, Yoshino and Shimako)

Rosa Chinensis: Ogasawara Sachiko (third year)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton: Fukuzawa Yumi (second year)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton petit soeur: Yumi's soeur (first year - current candidates include Matsudaira Touko and Hosokawa Kanako)

Rosa Gigantea: Toudou Shimako (second year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton: Nijou Noriko (first year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton petit soeur: N/A

Rosa Foetida: Hasekura Rei (third year)
Rosa Foetida en bouton: Shimazu Yoshino (second year)
Rosa Foetida en bouton petit soeur: Yoshino's soeur (first year - no candidates available as of yet)

Third Year (from the vantage point of Yumi, Yoshino and Shimako - novel has not gone this far yet, but assuming they all become Roses)

Rosa Chinensis: Fukuzawa Yumi (third year)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton: Yumi's soeur (second year - see above)
Rosa Chinensis en bouton petit soeur: Yumi's soeur's soeur (first year)

Rosa Gigantea: Toudou Shimako (third year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton: Nijou Noriko (second year)
Rosa Gigantea en bouton petit soeur: Noriko's soeur (first year)

Rosa Foetida: Shimazu Yoshino (third year)
Rosa Foetida en bouton: Yoshino's soeur (second year)
Rosa Foetida en bouton petit soeur: Yoshino's soeur's soeur (first year)
Closed Thread