AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-15, 16:15   Link #841
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Just a question. I've just seen Episode 2 but wasn't that Takemikazuchi a bit ahead of its time? It's supposed to have been produced in the early 2000, but that scene takes place in 1998.

It could be explained if it was still a prototype (combat ready though!) but how the hell Yui recognized it?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:19   Link #842
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Finally the crazy soviet sisters lesbians appear, but other than that the episode is wasted in pointless and ugly mecha battle with childish punchlines... also the insert song was as bad as the OP
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:19   Link #843
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Just a question. I've just seen Episode 2 but wasn't that Takemikazuchi a bit ahead of its time? It's supposed to have been produced in the early 2000, but that scene takes place in 1998.

It could be explained if it was still a prototype (combat ready though!) but how the hell Yui recognized it?
It is the prototype Takemikazuchi just as Kouki mentioned in his tweeter. The unit was then officially deployed in 2000. Yui should know about it since her father is also involved in TSF development program of the Empire. Not to mention, such information is probably not kept hidden from the samurai class considering its a unit that they've been waiting for completion that would succeed their outdated Zuikaku.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:20   Link #844
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This episode is why I was wary about Satelight doing the animation production for the show. They're like the rare example of the studio whose CGI drawing ability far outstrips their ability to do regular art and animation. It almost makes you think they don't actually really know how to do it and all their artists training and talent went into CGI. At least they aren't handling the story on this one otherwise it could probably be a whole lot worse.

3rd episode was okay. Things definitely got a whole lot more lighthearted and the best that each nation has to offer is about what one expect. Whatever is left, which amounts to an Italian pretty boy, a loudmouth Nepalese, an even tempered swede, Nippon Banzai Yui, and an American redneck. Oh and a mysterious and unstable seeming pair of sisters from Russia. So far I'd have to say that only Yuuya and the Russians seem anywhere near what one would expect to be elite under normal circumstances but since most of the other countries aces are already dead it can be forgiven.

What I had to laugh at though is the camera lingering on shots of female characters asses and boobs as they jiggled all over the place. I sort of hope that doesn't become too frequent because the way the series set itself up honestly owes for a little more serious take on mecha conflict. It'd be one thing if this were a rule of cool super robot show, but post apocalyptic life or death struggles and regularly scheduled fanservice shots have never mixed all that well in my experience.

The mock battle was okay, the fight choreagraphy was decent as was Yuuya's method for resolving it, but other than the episode is what it is, an introduction to the main cast. At least they all seem like they have the potential to be interesting characters so far...possibly with the exception of the Nepal chick who is most just loud and annoying and butthurt throughout the episode. Of all the pilots she definitely feels the most like a last resort entrant into this program.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:23   Link #845
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

If I understand correctly, Muv-Luv is an eroge.

For an eroge franchise-turned-anime, it's showing remarkable restraint. I think I can live with the unneeded buttock and boob shots/lingers/references, as I have to assume there's some pressure to throw the franchise fans a bone.

It's certainly far preferable to throwing some cat ears on them as certain other 'mecha' shows have done in recent years.

As for Nepal. I just looked at Wikipedia for its army (has no airforce). LoL is about all I have to say.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:26   Link #846
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
It is the prototype Takemikazuchi just as Kouki mentioned in his tweeter. The unit was then officially deployed in 2000. Yui should know about it since her father is also involved in TSF development program of the Empire. Not to mention, such information is probably not kept hidden from the samurai class considering its a unit that they've been waiting for completion that would succeed the Zuikaku.
Oh right, I forgot that Yui is one of the "nobles".

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
If I understand correctly, Muv-Luv is an eroge.

For an eroge franchise-turned-anime, it's showing remarkable restraint. I think I can live with the unneeded buttock and boob shots/lingers/references, as I have to assume there's some pressure to throw the franchise fans a bone.
At least cadets don't have transparent suits here...

Still MLA is a lot less "eroge" than its predecessor.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:28   Link #847
AmeNoJaku

The battle was way too long... just fanservice for mecha otaku They could definitely use some ecchi fanservice, since plot and character development don't seem to be priorities in this production.

What's the point in training against other mecha when your enemy fights completely differently (tactically and strategically)... no wonder humanity is losing to BETA
Old 2012-07-15, 16:46   Link #848
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
The battle was way too long... just fanservice for mecha otaku
Uhh... yeah? That's... quite usual for mecha series, you know.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:46   Link #849
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The battle was way too long... just fanservice for mecha otaku
The creators did a good job then.

Welcome to Total Eclipse. That's what it's mostly about, TSF development by using data acquired from mock battles and other activities involving different units to advance the current technology. Adapting designs from other models of other countries, and integrating it to their own designs which will greatly benefit those who participated in the project. Better maneuverability, laser warning systems, reaction time, fire control systems, and operating system is always a good thing. Of course, its not enough to improve mankind's standing in the war at the moment. Then again, it's not like XFJ Project is the only thing mankind is working on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post

Still MLA is a lot less "eroge" than its predecessor.

And don't forget MLA:C03. Age finally went all-ages when they released that thing. I bet it'd be the same for the upcoming TE VN.
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 16:57   Link #850
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Uhh... yeah? That's... quite usual for mecha series, you know.
Quote:
The creators did a good job then.
I don't watch mecha anime in general... I was hoping that because the anime is based on light novel, itself based on a series of adult visual novels, that the whole mecha thing was just fanservice, not that fanservice will be the excuse to sell toys

Quote:
Welcome to Total Eclipse. That's what it's mostly about, TSF development by using data acquired from mock battles and other activities involving different units to advance the current technology. Adapting designs from other models of other countries, and integrating it to their own designs which will greatly benefit those who participated in the project. Better maneuverability, laser warning systems, reaction time, fire control systems, and operating system is always a good thing. Of course, its not enough to improve mankind's standing in the war at the moment. Then again, it's not like XFJ Project is the only thing mankind is working on...
Judging from the result this approach has worked so well for humanity
Old 2012-07-15, 17:16   Link #851
prototype_sky

Human vs Human combat training to fight BETA no wonder they're losing

They should be focusing on developing biological weapons or chemical attack. Well I guess when the main draw is cool mecha sensible options are off the table. Do they have a good reason why only mechs are viable
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 17:22   Link #852
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
Human vs Human combat training to fight BETA no wonder they're losing

They should be focusing on developing biological weapons or chemical attack. Well I guess when the main draw is cool mecha sensible options are off the table. Do they have a good reason why only mechs are viable
I guess the BETAs are like the Posleen. The Posleen are immune to chemical/biological weapons perhaps the BETAs are too??
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 17:26   Link #853
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I don't watch mecha anime in general... I was hoping that because the anime is based on light novel, itself based on a series of adult visual novels, that the whole mecha thing was just fanservice, not that fanservice will be the excuse to sell toys
You picked the wrong muvluv to pine those hopes on.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 17:30   Link #854
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
You picked the wrong muvluv to pine those hopes on.
Or the wrong one is getting animated
Old 2012-07-15, 17:38   Link #855
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:
Or the wrong one is getting animated
What did you expect from this series? This series (Muv Luv Alternative) is a Military Sci-Fi wonderland and not a series full of PLOT.
SolarAquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:07   Link #856
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Also, the fact that they STILL use mecha is exactly one of the reasons why Man keep losing. Which is ironically realistic given that we have yet to develop one, or will ever build one.
Old 2012-07-15, 18:10   Link #857
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
What did you expect from this series? This series (Muv Luv Alternative) is a Military Sci-Fi wonderland and not a series full of PLOT.
Synopses and doujinshi can be quite misleading... still I have a hard time believing that a 16 page comic can have more plot (both literally and sarcastically ) than 3 episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Also, the fact that they STILL use mecha is exactly one of the reasons why Man keep losing. Which is ironically realistic given that we have yet to develop one, or will ever build one.
Indeed, to me the setting as presented make almost no sense... unfortunately my prior knowledge was only from derivative sources, and now I wonder if the source material is similar to the anime, as some suggest
Old 2012-07-15, 18:12   Link #858
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Not necessarily. Its more on "having the right weapon for the right enemy". If they just revolutionized more on countering the abilities of the enemy than having only bullets. If only a mecha could carry a weapon that equals the power of a naval gun... would make a difference.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 18:31   Link #859
Elestia

Good episode wasn't disappointed in the mecha fight scenes. The character introduction was also great, showed a lot of chemistry between all pilots and we quickly understand what their personal quirks are. Venus is one sexy blonde and deadly too.
Old 2012-07-15, 18:33   Link #860
karuroso

Please can someone enlighten me, I'm curious at what losing a territory to BETA means, I mean what are those aliens doing since they arrived? hence how exatcly is like an area dominated by them
karuroso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen