AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-04-27, 18:53   Link #1
Ice_Phoenix

Send a message via MSN to Ice_Phoenix
IP problems with Linksys router

I have a linksys #BEFW11S4 router that is giving IPs like 196.254.123.216 to the computers on the network. This has happened twice now, and I have no clue to what is causing it. All I know is that I have had to give one computer the an IP manually and reset the router from there, and had to do that just to access the router. I have sent e-mails to Linksys, yet that was today. I just want some type of guidence into what could be going on, so I have an idea where to look next time it will happen. Or better yet how to prevent this from happening again. I don't want to have to reset all the settings even time it goes off and messes up. Thanks for anything that could help in anyway.
Ice_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:24   Link #2
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
Are you sure it's the linksys' DHCP server handing out these addresses? That address looks alot like the "Automatic Private Address" that Windows sets when it can't obatain an IP from a DHCP server and a static IP is not set. Check the router's DHCP configuration and make sure the DHCP server is enabled.
b4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 19:45   Link #3
Ice_Phoenix

I shall check that out next time, cuz I didn't know windows did that, I did some more looking for Info on some other sites, and I think next time I am just going to start setting up IPs myself. Its just save some time if the router will do it for the LANs. The DHCP I have on now, yet I might not have then. Thanks for that info, and I shall check next time.
Old 2004-04-28, 18:50   Link #4
Majin-EBK4

yeah man that ip address you put in your post is the windows automated IP addressing system for sure no router would ever give that out as an IP, for some reason your router isn't handling DHCP correctly
Majin-EBK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 19:05   Link #5
Ice_Phoenix

Well I have made up my mind that if it does it again I will say forget the DHCP setting and do it all myself. It is just nice for LANs to use the DHCP to set up the IPs, or hopefully the next firmware upgrade will work better, cuz with the current one I haven't had that good luck with. Thanks all your all help.
Old 2004-04-28, 20:34   Link #6
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Phoenix
Well I have made up my mind that if it does it again I will say forget the DHCP setting and do it all myself. It is just nice for LANs to use the DHCP to set up the IPs, or hopefully the next firmware upgrade will work better, cuz with the current one I haven't had that good luck with. Thanks all your all help.
I have been using Linksys for at least 4 years and the 802.11g enhanced for the last 6 months and swear by it. I also use DHCP. But then, I leave my computer on 24x7 so I get the same IP every day/time.
________
Yamaha Vmx1200

Last edited by AnimeOni; 2011-03-05 at 11:08.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-28, 20:49   Link #7
Ice_Phoenix

I am on the 802.11b, I wouldn't think there would be much of a diffent however. Yet I use the router for LANs and such, so there a normally a few pcs connected to it. I am not saying Linksys are bad, I really like them. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas what was up with it. It just gave me this problem after the last LAN I took it too, yet it seem to be fine now. I do have one computer on it all the time, and then just the my laptop on it too, and thats when I found something was up, yet it did it to the other computer so I knew it wasn't just a wireless problem. I just am going to set it all up by hand if it happens next time. Unless it goes of at least a month, by then I will want to change the keys anyways for it.