AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-03-07, 00:46   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

ONE ~To the Radiant Season~

Seeing as i have been occupying myself with Visual Novels more than usually as of late, i decided to go ahead and check out ONE, the supposed "predecessor" of Key games figuratively speaking. I have finished one path thus far, and while the game isn't as refined as the newer visual novels and has some rather abrupt scene changes and transitions and other things i could nit pick on, it was fairly decent ... if not for one thing.

That thing being - Kouhei irritated me to the very core and by the end i wanted to see nothing short of someone (seriously, i would not have minded a random stranger) come along and thrown an "accidental" punch at his face. As you may have guessed, the path if finished is Nagamori. And after undergoing the joy of having to treat her rather horribly (not like he even normally is nice to her), i am sure of one thing: He did not deserve her ...what he did deserve was a kick across his teeth. It is extremely rare of me to feel this irritated after playing/watching something, but Kouhei managed to get on my nerves at commendable rate with his egoistic, imposing and bratty attitude to being downright mean and a complete prick at times.

And i am facing a dilemma now: should i continue the game ? I am rather interested in several of the girls and see what their path has to offer (especially Misaki), but i am not sure if i want to tolerate seeing more of the asshole that is Kouhei in action. I still have no idea what Nagaromi sees in him ... he never does anything nice for her. Never! ... and he was mistreating her when they were kids as well, and in the absence of any other information i have to wonder why does she harbor any positive feelings for him. He doesn't even have the usual male lead "kindness" going for him. Ye, sure ...they tried showing that he has "improved" by the very end of her route ...though at that point it was far to late for me to care and wish for anything but to see someone deliver a punch to that thick skull of his.

What i want to ask is: does he display at least a reasonable amount of courtesy when we get deeper in some other girl's route ? (though courtesy as a whole doesn't seem to be in his dictionary). From what i have seen of his brief interactions with other girls while playing Nagaromi's route i suppose that he can be reasonably "nice" if he wants to , but if i have to sit through another one of them being treated dirt poor like Nagamori then i rather not; I play the game for fun, and my idea of fun is not ending up completely irritated and annoyed.

Thank you to whomever answers
Old 2008-03-07, 01:58   Link #2
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

oh man, ONE...this game was one my favorites back then. Dayomon seijin!!

I definitely recommend you to play through Misaki-senpai and Akane's route. By playing these two stories, you will find the base of Key.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-07, 05:42   Link #3
rg4619

Quote:
What i want to ask is: does he display at least a reasonable amount of courtesy when we get deeper in some other girl's route ? (though courtesy as a whole doesn't seem to be in his dictionary). From what i have seen of his brief interactions with other girls while playing Nagaromi's route i suppose that he can be reasonably "nice" if he wants to , but if i have to sit through another one of them being treated dirt poor like Nagamori then i rather not; I play the game for fun, and my idea of fun is not ending up completely irritated and annoyed.
We see the worst of Kouhei in the Nagamori route. However, his egotistical, self-centered attitude never completely disappears (probably part of that audience identification the writers aimed for). After all, "kindness" can be played quite loosely in these stories.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 23:45   Link #4
p997tt
= Porsche 997 Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
I definitely recommend you to play through Misaki-senpai and Akane's route. By playing these two stories, you will find the base of Key.
Misaki's route was by far my favourite route in ONE.

I don't have much memories of the other routes in the game.
p997tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 04:13   Link #5
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, i completed Misaki's and Akane's routes and indeed - we see the worst of Kouhei in Nagamori's route. He is fairly reasonable in these two. It is kinda interesting to see how the characters have a good deal of resemblance to those found in Kanon

Misaki (absolutely charming by the way ^^ grew on me quickly ever since she was introduced) seems like Nayuki with Shiori's quirkiness, Akane reminds me of Mai with her silent and somewhat stoic demeanor, Nanase reminds me somewhat of Makoto and Mio is a mute version of Ayu ^^

I find the characters rather likable and interesting, but the weakness of the title lies in its drama, which is already becoming somewhat monotone. It is the same issue in all of the paths, so only variation comes from the slightly different reactions from the different girls.

Not only that, i feel the mystery is rather forcibly connected to the plot as a quickfix for some drama and comes about in a rather abrupt way.
Spoiler:

Now, it might be possible something more gets explained if i complete more of the routes, but i doubt it seeing even Nagamori's route didn't really explain much.

Oh well - other than that the game is fairly nice and the voice actors are doing a good job of bringing forth the personalities of the characters they want to portray. The story may not be as refined as the newer titles, but it is a fairly good ride non the less.
Old 2008-03-09, 05:21   Link #6
Asceai
MINMES ;_;

The routes that best explain the Eternal World are probably Akane's and Hikami Shun's, but it's mostly an interpretation thing. Like pretty much all Key games (I consider ONE and MOON. both Key games, even if they weren't actually made by Key =p) it's a somewhat 'magic realist' setting. Spoilers follow:
Spoiler:

For reference, I favour the routes in the following order:

Misaki > Akane > Nagamori > Nanase (Nanase's H scene was the best in the game, though =p) > Mio > Shiina. Not including Hikami's route in that, because I don't think it really counts. =p
Asceai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-09, 05:46   Link #7
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
Spoiler for Akane:
Spoiler for Akane:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai
Spoiler for eternal world:
Spoiler for eternal world:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai
For reference, I favour the routes in the following order:

Misaki > Akane > Nagamori > Nanase (Nanase's H scene was the best in the game, though =p) > Mio > Shiina. Not including Hikami's route in that, because I don't think it really counts. =p
Misaki is by far my favorite character indeed, with Akane coming in as second. I didn't care much for Akane at first, but she grew on me rather quickly. I am not all that fond of Nanase though
Old 2008-03-27, 05:21   Link #8
luckyovermind
hungry~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Misaki (absolutely charming by the way ^^ grew on me quickly ever since she was introduced) seems like Nayuki with Shiori's quirkiness, Akane reminds me of Mai with her silent and somewhat stoic demeanor, Nanase reminds me somewhat of Makoto and Mio is a mute version of Ayu ^^
You came pretty close there , just for the reference:

Naoki Hisaya is in charge of:

Akane, Mio and Misaki's routes in ONE

and

Ayu, Nayuki and Shiori's routes in KANON

Then he went off doing doujins and did Moon Childe and SOLA later.

Jun Maeda is in charge of:

Nagamori, Nanase and Mayu's routes in ONE

and

Mai, Sayuri and Makoto's routes in KANON

Then he did the Misuzu's dream and air route in AIR, Nagisa/Tomoyo/Fuko's (and some others) routes in CLANNAD, then finally rin's route in little buster.

So you can see it's that Jun Maeda who picked on the girls the most.

Naoki Hisaya on the other hand is a romantic type of guy.

Oh yeah, kj1980 or Asceai, you guys played MOON right? What's it like? I heard it's kinda bloody
Old 2008-03-28, 00:05   Link #9
Asceai
MINMES ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyovermind View Post
So you can see it's that Jun Maeda who picked on the girls the most.

Naoki Hisaya on the other hand is a romantic type of guy.

Oh yeah, kj1980 or Asceai, you guys played MOON right? What's it like? I heard it's kinda bloody
Jun Maeda is, like, my second favourite scenario writer of all time. <33333 maeda.

MOON. is great. Not to everyone's taste at all, but I do like the whole exploring-one's-psyche themes.

It's not as good as ONE, but then again, not much is =p
Old 2008-03-29, 02:28   Link #10
luckyovermind
hungry~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asceai View Post
It's not as good as ONE, but then again, not much is =p
And there you went all crazy about it over at visualnews

BTW. who is your first? That guy who wrote the sunflower girl?
Old 2008-03-29, 11:37   Link #11
Asceai
MINMES ;_;

Quote:
And there you went all crazy about it over at visualnews
I obsess over games that I'm playing or replaying. If I was playing Cartagra for the first time you'd hear about it, too. MOON.'s great, but ONE is amazing, and is nowhere near as actively painful to play through.

Lemme give you a bit of an idea. This is a screenshot of one of many locations in MOON.:

You're the red dot, and you have to pick options to move around the map, as well as search for stuff. There's only one map in which you literally have to search every single tile for something, but it's fairly small. That's not the issue here. The issue is that just moving around is painful. The mouse position actually resets after every option you pick, meaning that you have to reposition the mouse each time, even if you're moving several steps in the same direction. It gets tiring because you need to move back and forth between locations as the time of day changes and certain events happen or become unlocked. You are (to an extent) guided through the game, but it's still tiring.

Now, that itself would be semi-okay if they didn't go and abuse it near the end of the game.

This level. You follow an exit down from the upper floor to get to that floor, which has an exit going up (the one you came through) and an exit going down. Go down, and you'll see a level quite similar, but rotated around. Go down further and you'll get different rotations until you're on a floor that looks the same as the one you went down before. And there are 20 levels of this torture. The thing that threatened my resolve to play the game more than anything else. Why does it even EXIST? It's the combination of that inane spiral-staircase-like climbing exercise and the game's painful system of navigating your way around that make this murderous.

MOON. has flaws. Very, very big ones. They can't NOT hurt its standing in my book.

Plus all the rape. I'm not too big on rape.

MOON. is still great, but yeah, there's a lot of better games, and MOON. itself would have been better without some of those things I found distasteful.

Quote:
BTW. who is your first? That guy who wrote the sunflower girl?
I really am that transparent, aren't I? Well..

..you're very close, and might have been right before (apart from Maeda, whom I think is potentially a better scenario writer than るーすぼーい. Scenario writing isn't everything in a game, though). But I've found a new love. He wrote a sunflower story too. ^_^

Himawari is something you tend to pick up on more and more with multiple replays, even re-exploring the same routes. It's quite long, but I don't mind personally =p There's also stuff written on blank-note's website that helps to elucidate confusing aspects of the complex and extremely multifaceted plot. I do want to talk about Himawari, but I think that can be saved for another time.

Last edited by Asceai; 2008-03-29 at 12:00.
Old 2008-06-19, 23:27   Link #12
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Finally getting to play through this game. Finally got a copy after all these years XD. Back then I had no idea ONE was related to Kanon. I'll give my full impression once I complete the routes.

I noticed the Hamburger Bus in ep 23 of Kanon XD I thought so before but I wasn't sure...but it is definatly it ^-^ I wonder if Kyo ani will consider a ONE remake since the OVA's did a huge mess. With the references it seems it could happen.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 04:09   Link #13
charizardpal
灼眼の

Spoiler for quote:

Well Moon is more of a straight up ero game, with girls suffering for no reason other than showcase a fetish (rape, scat, etc)...it had a disjointed ending also which didn't make a lot of sense. It felt like it was starting to develop some interesting elements, and then it just suddenly ended...I often have wondered who was in charge of the last section of the game, particularly who came up with the Akira-style break the wall idea.

@Asceai yeah you're spot on about that maze. That alone almost completely ruined the game for me, and I can't stand to replay the final phase of the game....well I did it a few times, but only because I had to!

@OP Nagamori's route was the worst of all. I'm tempted to pretend what he did was non-canon written on a bad day, since it doesn't even fit with his personality in any of the other routes. Yeah he acts a jerk sometimes, but he's more a teaser/prankster than a malicious abuser, and he seems to actually care about the girls.

「心でなくちゃ、よく見えない。もののなかみは、目では見えない、ってこと。」
charizardpal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, ero-game, eroge, key, nexton, romance, supernatural, tactics, visual novel